new excel 2003

I work in a small office and wonder if we should buy the
new Excel 2003 to upgrade from Excel 2000 that we are
currently using. I cannot find anywhere that tells me what
the upgrades are. I also want to find some support I can
get to explain the differences. thnx
0
anonymous (74717)

Hg,

It's probably not worth the price of the upgrade.
There's really not much more that you can do with 2003
that you can't do in 2000.

One of the Excel gurus who has written some excellent
books on Excel (including 2003) has a review on his
web site.

Take a look here:

http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/xl2003.htm

John

"Hg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I work in a small office and wonder if we should buy the
> new Excel 2003 to upgrade from Excel 2000 that we are
> currently using. I cannot find anywhere that tells me what
> the upgrades are. I also want to find some support I can
> get to explain the differences. thnx

0
jwilson (359)
1/22/2004 7:27:07 PM
No.. No need to do that.. I would certainly not do it unless I had to teach
Excel.
The changes are really not very big and mainly cosmetic. At least I would
wait
until I could find a better price for a version that has the first service
pack included, that way
I would avoid some bugs.. A new MS Office is priced  between 239 and 499
depending on the package
and if it is an upgrade or not, since you have 2000 I guess it would be an
upgrade.

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Hg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I work in a small office and wonder if we should buy the
> new Excel 2003 to upgrade from Excel 2000 that we are
> currently using. I cannot find anywhere that tells me what
> the upgrades are. I also want to find some support I can
> get to explain the differences. thnx

0
terre08 (1112)
1/22/2004 7:41:17 PM
XP is required for Excel/Office2003.

--
John
johnf 202 at hotmail dot com

"Hg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I work in a small office and wonder if we should buy the
| new Excel 2003 to upgrade from Excel 2000 that we are
| currently using. I cannot find anywhere that tells me what
| the upgrades are. I also want to find some support I can
| get to explain the differences. thnx

0
me5306 (285)
1/22/2004 10:04:18 PM
Actually not.

You have to have Windows 2000 or above

"jaf" <me@here.com> wrote in message
: XP is required for Excel/Office2003.
:
:
: --
: John
: johnf 202 at hotmail dot com
:
:
: "Hg" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: news:217b01c3e11c$d487cf70$a301280a@phx.gbl...
: | I work in a small office and wonder if we should buy the
: | new Excel 2003 to upgrade from Excel 2000 that we are
: | currently using. I cannot find anywhere that tells me what
: | the upgrades are. I also want to find some support I can
: | get to explain the differences. thnx
:
:

0
nospam202 (664)
1/23/2004 12:52:07 PM
Hi!

Agreed! See:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/sysreq.mspx
"Microsoft Windows� 2000 with Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows XP, or
later"

For differences between versions according to Microsoft see:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/compare.mspx

My personal view is that heavy users might find upgrading useful and
that an office should have one version of Excel XP or 2003 because of
better capability of restoring corrupt files.

A good general review can be found at:

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/MS_Office/4520-3513_16-5092597-1.html

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

0
njharker (1646)
1/23/2004 1:53:53 PM
OK.
I know the beta version of FP'03 was XP only. Aparently the've change that
with the release.

--
John
johnf 202 at hotmail dot com

"Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
| Hi!
|
| Agreed! See:
| http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/sysreq.mspx
| "Microsoft Windows� 2000 with Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows XP, or
| later"
|
| For differences between versions according to Microsoft see:
|
| http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/compare.mspx
|
| My personal view is that heavy users might find upgrading useful and
| that an office should have one version of Excel XP or 2003 because of
| better capability of restoring corrupt files.
|
| A good general review can be found at:
|
| http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/MS_Office/4520-3513_16-5092597-1.html
|
| --
| Regards
| Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
| Sydney, Australia
| njharker@optusnet.com.au
| Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
| available free to good homes.

0
me5306 (285)
1/23/2004 11:17:16 PM
"Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote...
>My personal view is that heavy users might find upgrading useful and
>that an office should have one version of Excel XP or 2003 because of
>better capability of restoring corrupt files.
>
>A good general review can be found at:
>
>http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/MS_Office/4520-3513_16-5092597-1.html

General is perhaps the only positive adjective that could be used. Rather
light on the details, isn't it?

For many cases, OpenOffice will recover corrupt .XLS file, and it's a free
download. Even so, if file recovery is the reason for a purchase, Excel 2002
(XP) would be the more economical choise - still available through
alternative channels, much cheaper than Excel 2003.

That said, for general spreadsheet use, there's little in Excel 2002, much
less Excel 2003, that warrants an upgrade from Excel 2000.

0
hrlngrv (1990)

How do I subtotal pages in Excel?
I want to subtotal a column per page in Excel 2000, however the page may vary as I add and delete records. Can anyone help me? Shouldn't be a problem as XL will automatically adjust it's total formula as you add and delete. I'm assuming you are putting in a sum formula ("=sum( cell1:cell2)"). -- Regards; Rob ------------------------------------------------------------------------ "lshivvers" <lshivvers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B81870EF-D160-4628-96A2-3CDC5FB07BBD@microsoft.com... > I want to subtotal a column per page in Ex...

Opening a unicode CSV file from Excel
Hi, I'm currently working on an application that can export data in "CSV" format, and then launches Excel to view the CSV data. This works perfectly ok for ascii data. However now I have upgraded our application to use Unicode I'm running into problems. When I export data into a unicode CSV file and launch excel with it's path on the command line I get a "This is not a recognized format" message. If the same file is opened manually from Excel the same error is shown but afterwards the text import wizard is displayed (which works ok). Currenly the file is 16 ...

Excel #81
I need to know the importance of excel and what are the uses of excel. Your responce in this matter will be highly appreciated. Regards Qinisile There's lots of information on Excel on the Microsoft site: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/FX010858001033.aspx Qinisile Bukhali wrote: > I need to know the importance of excel and what are the > uses of excel. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Default properties for new folders

OWA 2003 Timeout issue
We are getting some unusual behavior on our OWA2003 clients whil testing. The timeout is working properly, but when a user is kicked, only th active pane is displaying the logon page, not the entire window. So fo instance i f I clicked on a folder in the left pane, the right pane would displa the l ogin screen saying "Your session expired..." but the left pane woul still b e displayed. Has anyone else encountered this? Browsers are IE6 an client s vary from Win2k to XP Pro. Thanks -- tlabri ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tlabrie's...

Excel memory issues
We have several excel spreadsheets on a network drive that when opened by any client they receive several errors relating to memory, such as: Not enough memory Not enough system resources to display completely Any ideas? We have increased RAM on server and workstation and page file, but the users are still receiving the errors. Did you increase the memory on the client's machine? You never mentioned if they have enough harddrive space. "Neil Shirley" wrote: > We have several excel spreadsheets on a network drive that when opened by > any client they receive s...

Excel charts #12
I am trying to format the individual labels on the category axis on an Excel chart. I want every other label in a different color and bold. But the entire category axis is formatted. Does anyone have a suggestion? The category axis is years - 1990 through 2005. I want the odd years to be bold and a different color than the even years. When Excel doesn't let me do what I want with a chart axis, I draw my own: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ArbitraryAxis.html Use this technique to make two different axes, one for even and one for odd, and hide the default axis Excel draw...

New Email Messages

excel spreadsheet #8
I have a 2 sheet excel spread sheet that I put together with varing column widths. On the top 1/4 of the first sheet (of the 2 part spread sheet) I need to have different column widths to insert specific data with different column widths that conflict with the column widths in the balance of spread sheet. How do I seperate the sheet to have the column with at the top 1/4 differ from those on the rest of the sheet? I treied cut & paste within excel, I tried building the top part in word and paste to excel. nothing works. Can this be done? Frank ...

New Location/New setup

Make excel run large spreadsheets faster
For those of you who run large spreadsheets with or without VBA, I think everyone will agree they are much too slow ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e1105194-24af-4697-ab5f-b9d62e5140ea&...

Outlook 2003, Windows 7, crashing on Reminders
Hi All. I'm using Outlook 2003 SP3 on my new Windows 7 machine. All is fine in Outlook until the reminder window needs to pop up. As soon as it does, with maybe a second delay, the entire computer seizes and I need to power off to reboot. None of the reminders actually load/display in the pop-up Reminders window, though the title bar for the pop-up starts to count the number but stalls on "1 Reminder". Running Outlook in "safe" mode is just fine. The reminders pop-up opens no problem and I just continue working. Running in "normal" mode,...

Excel
I need to insert a space three characters from the right of a piece of text I have in a cell. How do I do it? I was thinking along the lines of customer formatting but this is proving troublesome as I'm an Excel novice. Thanks, Darren If your piece of text is in cell A1, you could put the following formula into a helper cell (such as B1): =LEFT(A1,3)&" "&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-3). If you want to convert the formula back into text, click on B1, press Ctrl+C to copy it, then click on Edit | Paste Special | Paste: Values | OK. "Dazza" wrote: > I need to in...

OWA in mixed mode 5.5 and 2003 organization
Hi I have a mixed mode organization. 2 Exchange 5.5 SP4 servers and 2 Exchange 2003 servers. I instaled a Exchange 2003 front-end server in my DMZ so my external user can connect using OWA, but it's only working for Exchange 2003 users. Exchange 5.5 users gets the error : "HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable" Is there any way I can publish OWA for Exchange 5.5 users in my Exchange 2003 front-end server? Thanks Isaac No, accessing a 5.5 server through a 2003 Front-end is not supported. -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Exchange MVP www.exchangetrainer.com www.msexchange.org &quo...

How do I activate the new mail button

excel #136
I have files in quantrum pro and would like to open them in excel. But they won't popen I'm not familiar with Quantrum Pro. What does it do? "Liz R" wrote: > I have files in quantrum pro and would like to open them in excel. But they > won't popen ...

Excel 2007 werkbalk snelle toegang, "hoe te saven voor nieuwe excel install "
Wie kan mij vertellen hoe de werkbalk "snelle toegang"met al zijn icons is te saven. Dit ivm een nieuwe installatie van excel. Het voorkomt dat ik al die icons wederom moet opzoeken. Al vast bedank voor de hulp. gr Peter See http://www.rondebruin.nl/imageqat.htm You can find the file here Excel saves your QAT setup in a file named "Excel.qat" in: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\Excel.qat In Vista you can find it here C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\Excel.qat Note: This file will no...

Style available all sheets new or old

Excel drawings with Hyperlink
Hello: I would like to create a hyperlink when a particular serial number is selected in a cell. Is there a way to create small drawings in excel and have those drawings pop up (or via hyperlink) when a given serial number is selected from a cell? I have created drawings in Paint and saved them as JPEG images, but when I select a serial number the Paint editor pops up at full screen with a tiny image. Regards, D.Parker What I have done in the past was insert drawings on the worksheet, hide them, then associate VBA code to unhide the desired drawing (picture) and hide all others. ...

Word 2003 Forms (JUMP TO Fields)
I am creating a word 2003 form and was wondering if it is possible to skip fields depending on the selection in a drop down menu. ie. QUESTION: Is there a requirement for a COSHH Assessment ? DROP DOWN ANSWER-----Yes/NO If yes just go to the next field box if NO then Jump this section to another section/Field further down the form? Any takers? -- Regards Martin D It is possible, but only with a macro. The basic idea of changing which form field is "next" is discussed at http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/SetTabOrder.htm. The macros in that article can b...