Need to know how to write a formula

I have 129 kids at my church and they have been charged with doing certain
things to earn points.  I am making a spreadsheet to record their
accomplishments, like, if they study their lesson they get 10 points, if they
memorize a verse, they get 15 points, if they participate in a fund raiser
they get 50 points, and so on.  I have a chart that shows their points and
can figure out their total points earned.  However, I want to know how many
times a certain chore was completed.  I am trying to find out how many times
each point value appears in the whole chart.  That way I'll know which things
the kids are doing the most, which may show me I need to add or delete an
assignment.  Right now I have A2 through A161 and A - F columns.  Anyone have
a light bulb go on???  Thanks.
0
TNJudge (3)

Hi,

COUNTIF is what you are looking for.
e.g.
=COUNTIF(A2:F161,15)
will return any instance of 15 in your data range.

HTH
Martin

"TN Judge" <TNJudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 129 kids at my church and they have been charged with doing certain
> things to earn points.  I am making a spreadsheet to record their
> accomplishments, like, if they study their lesson they get 10 points, if
> they
> memorize a verse, they get 15 points, if they participate in a fund raiser
> they get 50 points, and so on.  I have a chart that shows their points and
> can figure out their total points earned.  However, I want to know how
> many
> times a certain chore was completed.  I am trying to find out how many
> times
> each point value appears in the whole chart.  That way I'll know which
> things
> the kids are doing the most, which may show me I need to add or delete an
> assignment.  Right now I have A2 through A161 and A - F columns.  Anyone
> have
> a light bulb go on???  Thanks.

0
mtmw (348)
8/17/2007 4:27:25 PM
Create a list will all the chores like for instance in G

don't know if you are looking to count the different points or if you are
using the names of the chores but assume the list of all chores used are in
G2:G8 (adapt to fit)
I am also assuming that your chores can be spread out in A2:F162,
In the first adjacent cell to the first value in your newly created list
(that would be H2) put this formula

=COUNTIF($A$2:$F$162,G2)

copy down as long as needed by dragging the lower right corner of the cell
with the formula

if the chores are in A2:A162 only change the formula to

=COUNTIF($A$2:$A$162,G2)

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"TN Judge" <TNJudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have 129 kids at my church and they have been charged with doing certain
> things to earn points.  I am making a spreadsheet to record their
> accomplishments, like, if they study their lesson they get 10 points, if
> they
> memorize a verse, they get 15 points, if they participate in a fund raiser
> they get 50 points, and so on.  I have a chart that shows their points and
> can figure out their total points earned.  However, I want to know how
> many
> times a certain chore was completed.  I am trying to find out how many
> times
> each point value appears in the whole chart.  That way I'll know which
> things
> the kids are doing the most, which may show me I need to add or delete an
> assignment.  Right now I have A2 through A161 and A - F columns.  Anyone
> have
> a light bulb go on???  Thanks.

0
terre081 (3244)
8/17/2007 4:32:21 PM
Thanks so much for your response.  The problem I have is that with 129 kids
who are in class all the time and approximately 35 visitors on any given day,
I needed the 161 rows.  Right now I only have 6 tasks that they can do to
earn points, but hope to up that to 25 soon.  It just took up so much space
to type out the actual name of the task that I just assigned each of the 6 a
number.  The point range is from 1 to 55 (that probably will change as we add
more tasks).  This is a project that will run over an extended period and
awards willl be given to the ones with the tops scores, eventually.  Now it
looks like this:
                                   #1        #2         #3            #4
     #5           #6
Child's name                  15          5         30             10
   25             50
Child;s name                  10         20        50             45
  15            55

Hope this makes my delima a little more clear.  I am not familiar with
"countif) since in am not really very skilled at Excel.  Your assistance is
greatly appreciated.
Linda

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> Create a list will all the chores like for instance in G
>
> don't know if you are looking to count the different points or if you are
> using the names of the chores but assume the list of all chores used are in
> G2:G8 (adapt to fit)
> I am also assuming that your chores can be spread out in A2:F162,
> In the first adjacent cell to the first value in your newly created list
> (that would be H2) put this formula
>

> =COUNTIF($A$2:$F$162,G2)
>
> copy down as long as needed by dragging the lower right corner of the cell
> with the formula
>
> if the chores are in A2:A162 only change the formula to
>

> =COUNTIF($A$2:$A$162,G2)
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "TN Judge" <TNJudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 129 kids at my church and they have been charged with doing certain
> > things to earn points.  I am making a spreadsheet to record their
> > accomplishments, like, if they study their lesson they get 10 points, if
> > they
> > memorize a verse, they get 15 points, if they participate in a fund raiser
> > they get 50 points, and so on.  I have a chart that shows their points and
> > can figure out their total points earned.  However, I want to know how
> > many
> > times a certain chore was completed.  I am trying to find out how many
> > times
> > each point value appears in the whole chart.  That way I'll know which
> > things
> > the kids are doing the most, which may show me I need to add or delete an
> > assignment.  Right now I have A2 through A161 and A - F columns.  Anyone
> > have
> > a light bulb go on???  Thanks.

0
TNJudge (3)
8/18/2007 12:02:00 PM
                                   #1        #2         #3            #4
     #5           #6
Child's name                  15          5         30             10

"MartinW" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> COUNTIF is what you are looking for.
> e.g.
> =COUNTIF(A2:F161,15)
> will return any instance of 15 in your data range.
>
> HTH
> Martin
>

> "TN Judge" <TNJudge@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have 129 kids at my church and they have been charged with doing certain
> > things to earn points.  I am making a spreadsheet to record their
> > accomplishments, like, if they study their lesson they get 10 points, if
> > they
> > memorize a verse, they get 15 points, if they participate in a fund raiser
> > they get 50 points, and so on.  I have a chart that shows their points and
> > can figure out their total points earned.  However, I want to know how
> > many
> > times a certain chore was completed.  I am trying to find out how many
> > times
> > each point value appears in the whole chart.  That way I'll know which
> > things
> > the kids are doing the most, which may show me I need to add or delete an
> > assignment.  Right now I have A2 through A161 and A - F columns.  Anyone
> > have
> > a light bulb go on???  Thanks.

0
TNJudge (3)
8/18/2007 12:06:00 PM
I think it might be easier in the long run to do this:  Insert two rows at
the top of your worksheet.  In row 1, above each # entry, enter the point
value of that activity.  In row 2, again above each # entry, type a formula
similar to this:
=SUM(B4:B163)/B1
Assuming you're in column B, of course.  That will give you a count of the
number of times a task has been performed, even if a person performs same
task (as studying their lesson) many times.

A slight modification to that and perhaps a note to yourself in a row below
the end of the list will make that formula update itself automatically.  I
assumed that with the added rows at the top, your list of names would go from
row 4 through row 163, although that doesn't correspond to your stated 129
current names.  If you change the formula (in B2) to =SUM(B4:B164)/B1 then it
will include a blank row at the end.  Put a note to yourself in A165 such as
"To add names to the list, select the row above and Insert a new row and add
the name into it."  Then follow that instruction as you add names to the
list.  First time you would select row 164 and use Insert | Row (or if you
just picked a cell in the row, Insert | Entire Row) and then type the
information into the new row 164.  The formula(s) up in row two will change
automatically to then become =SUM(B4:B165)/B1.

Hope this helps some.

"TN Judge" wrote:

> I have 129 kids at my church and they have been charged with doing certain
> things to earn points.  I am making a spreadsheet to record their
> accomplishments, like, if they study their lesson they get 10 points, if they
> memorize a verse, they get 15 points, if they participate in a fund raiser
> they get 50 points, and so on.  I have a chart that shows their points and
> can figure out their total points earned.  However, I want to know how many
> times a certain chore was completed.  I am trying to find out how many times
> each point value appears in the whole chart.  That way I'll know which things
> the kids are doing the most, which may show me I need to add or delete an
> assignment.  Right now I have A2 through A161 and A - F columns.  Anyone have
> a light bulb go on???  Thanks.

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

2 sumif functions in one formula
Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula and return the same results. If so, how would the formula be written? Thanks. Todd If you are to return the same results why do you need 2 formulas? It would be good to give specifics with examples. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Todd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04d201c3b391$f9f5ef20$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula > and return the same results. If so, how would the formula > be written? Thanks. > > T...

Help with formula 12-17-09

Need help on this....thanks

need help badly

I need Help

Need Help Despertly!

sumif formula required
Hello I have only basic knowledge of excel and need a formula to extrac information. A B C Client Process Sqm CEK Fibre 100 RDF Gloss 200 ERF Emul 150 CEK Fibre 100 What formula should I use to extract all CEK clients who purchase th fibre process giving total sqm. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who...

Plug in needed

Excel formulas #3
I am using a workday fomula to fill in dates across my spreadsheet. The formula also removes holidays. I need to include Saturdays as a workday. How can I accomplish this? =B1+SMALL(IF((WEEKDAY(B1+(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&10))))={2,3,4,5,6,7})* ISNA(MATCH(B1+(ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&10))),holidays,0)),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&10))),1) this is an arry formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "aviationmech" <aviationmech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D014DA1C-4B9F-4285-8C28-C804362521...

Summary of data using array formula
I have a spreadsheet where there are several columns with data using validation picklists as well as free-entry columns. I would like to create a summary of the data in the form of counts based on the existence of specific values in these columns with the ability to change the date range. I've created the array formula and have set up a 'startdate' and 'enddate' cells where the user can enter the range they're looking for. No matter what I do the value always reports a zero. I have used these types of array formulas before, however, not using date rang...

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...

Need Help with Excel and Flagging Outcomes!
I’m using Excel 2007, and here is my question… I want to put a formula in cell C3 that looks at outcomes in cell B3. If the raw score outcome in cell B3 has the following values, I would like cell C3 to provide the following words: IF: THEN: B3=Blank C3=Blank B3= Greater than 0-1.9 C3=Definitely False B3=2.0-2.9 C3=Mostly False B3=3.0-3.9 C3=Don’t Know B3=4.0-4.9 C3=Mostly True B3= 5.0 or greater C3=Definitely True Thank you for your help! Hi This should do it: =IF(B3=0,"",IF(B3<2,"Definet...

I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.
I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the number of employees available in each team. I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule. Likewise with the total number of emp...

Dynamic formula
Hello; I know I have asked this question before but can not seem to find the answer. It may have been purged by now. I have done this before but can't seem to figure out how. I am working in 2003. I have three fields I would like to use to create a formula A14 B14 C14 D14 Number Number Operand Answer(by Formula) therefore what I am trying to do is create a basic formula with a dynamic operand. =CONCATENATE("=(",A18,C14,B18,")") is the formula I am using. I have tried with and without the parens. Ex. Enter +...