need help coming up with a formula.

I know just enough in Excel that I know I can get the info I want but
not enough to know how to do it. Any help would be much appreciated. I
am working with 2 columns of data, for example:

Days in Stock____________Cost

2_____________________$300
21____________________$400
117___________________$600
8_____________________$400
37____________________$500
78____________________$500

What I want to calculate is the average cost for 0-10 days in stock
(($300 + $400)/2= $350), the average cost for 11-60 days in stock, and
the average cost for 60+ days in stock.

What sort of formula would best calculate this? TIA.

--
Sterling
Sterling's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29554

One way:

    =SUMIF(A:A,"<=10",B:B)/COUNTIF(A:A,"<=10")

In article <Sterling.1zwbym_1134339009.3479@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 Sterling <Sterling.1zwbym_1134339009.3479@excelforum-nospam.com>
 wrote:

> I know just enough in Excel that I know I can get the info I want but
> not enough to know how to do it. Any help would be much appreciated. I
> am working with 2 columns of data, for example:
>
> Days in Stock____________Cost
>
> 2_____________________$300
> 21____________________$400
> 117___________________$600
> 8_____________________$400
> 37____________________$500
> 78____________________$500
>
> What I want to calculate is the average cost for 0-10 days in stock
> (($300 + $400)/2= $350), the average cost for 11-60 days in stock, and
> the average cost for 60+ days in stock.
>
> What sort of formula would best calculate this? TIA.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
12/11/2005 10:22:48 PM
=AVERAGE(IF((A1:A20>0)*(A1:A20<=10),B1:B20))

as an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter.

Just change the 0 and the 10 for other ranges.

--

HTH

RP

"Sterling" <Sterling.1zwbym_1134339009.3479@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Sterling.1zwbym_1134339009.3479@excelforum-nospam.com...

> I know just enough in Excel that I know I can get the info I want but
> not enough to know how to do it. Any help would be much appreciated. I
> am working with 2 columns of data, for example:
>
> Days in Stock____________Cost
>
> 2_____________________$300
> 21____________________$400
> 117___________________$600
> 8_____________________$400
> 37____________________$500
> 78____________________$500
>
> What I want to calculate is the average cost for 0-10 days in stock
> (($300 + $400)/2= $350), the average cost for 11-60 days in stock, and
> the average cost for 60+ days in stock.
>
> What sort of formula would best calculate this? TIA.
>

> --
> Sterling
> Sterling's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29554
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492585

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
12/11/2005 10:23:39 PM
Try this:
If your data is in Cells A1:B7

C1: From
D1: Thru
E1: AvgCost
C2: 0
D2: 10

C3: 11
D3: 60

C4: 61
D4: 1000

E2: =AVERAGE(IF(--($A$2:$A$7>=C2)*($A$2:$A$7<=D2),$B$2:$B$7))
Copy that formula down

Is that what you're looking for?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Sterling" wrote:

> I know just enough in Excel that I know I can get the info I want but
> not enough to know how to do it. Any help would be much appreciated. I
> am working with 2 columns of data, for example:
>
> Days in Stock____________Cost
>
> 2_____________________$300
> 21____________________$400
> 117___________________$600
> 8_____________________$400
> 37____________________$500
> 78____________________$500
>
> What I want to calculate is the average cost for 0-10 days in stock
> (($300 + $400)/2= $350), the average cost for 11-60 days in stock, and
> the average cost for 60+ days in stock.
>
> What sort of formula would best calculate this? TIA.
>

> --
> Sterling
> Sterling's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29554
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492585

For
E2: =AVERAGE(IF(--($A$2:$A$7>=C2)*($A$2:$A$7<=D2),$B$2:$B$7))

You need to commit that array formula by holding down the [Ctrl] and [Shift]
keys when you press [Enter].

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

> Try this:
> If your data is in Cells A1:B7
>
> C1: From
> D1: Thru
> E1: AvgCost
> C2: 0
> D2: 10
>
> C3: 11
> D3: 60
>
> C4: 61
> D4: 1000
>
> E2: =AVERAGE(IF(--($A$2:$A$7>=C2)*($A$2:$A$7<=D2),$B$2:$B$7))
> Copy that formula down
>
> Is that what you're looking for?
>
> ***********
> Regards,
> Ron
>

> "Sterling" wrote:
>

> > I know just enough in Excel that I know I can get the info I want but
> > not enough to know how to do it. Any help would be much appreciated. I
> > am working with 2 columns of data, for example:
> >
> > Days in Stock____________Cost
> >
> > 2_____________________$300
> > 21____________________$400
> > 117___________________$600
> > 8_____________________$400
> > 37____________________$500
> > 78____________________$500
> >
> > What I want to calculate is the average cost for 0-10 days in stock
> > (($300 + $400)/2= $350), the average cost for 11-60 days in stock, and
> > the average cost for 60+ days in stock.
> >
> > What sort of formula would best calculate this? TIA.
> >

> > --
> > Sterling
> > Sterling's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29554
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492585

Wow that was fast. And just what I needed. Thank you all for the help.:)

--
Sterling
Sterling's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29554
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492585

One more question if I may:

I've used this formula and it works great:

=AVERAGE(IF((A1:A20>0)*(A1:A20<=10),B1:B20))

Now, how do I incorporate a second set of data say in columns C and D.
For example, the first set of data, as I posted, would be for cars and
the second set would be for trucks. Using the above formula I can find
out the average cost for 0-10 day cars and 0-10 day trucks. How would I
set up the formula to come up with 0-10 day -vehicles-?

TIA again.

--
Sterling
Sterling's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29554
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492585

One way

=(SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A20>0),--(A1:A20<=10),B1:B20)+SUMPRODUCT(--(C1:C20>0),--(
C1:C20<=10),D1:D20))/(SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A20>0),--(A1:A20<=10))+SUMPRODUCT(--(
C1:C20>0),--(C1:C20<=10)))

--

HTH

RP

"Sterling" <Sterling.1zxxda_1134413406.2452@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Sterling.1zxxda_1134413406.2452@excelforum-nospam.com...

> One more question if I may:
>
> I've used this formula and it works great:
>
> =AVERAGE(IF((A1:A20>0)*(A1:A20<=10),B1:B20))
>
> Now, how do I incorporate a second set of data say in columns C and D.
> For example, the first set of data, as I posted, would be for cars and
> the second set would be for trucks. Using the above formula I can find
> out the average cost for 0-10 day cars and 0-10 day trucks. How would I
> set up the formula to come up with 0-10 day -vehicles-?
>
> TIA again.
>

> --
> Sterling
> Sterling's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29554
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492585

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
12/12/2005 7:49:42 PM
Thank you. That formula worked great.

--
Sterling
Sterling's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29554
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=492585

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

2 sumif functions in one formula
Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula and return the same results. If so, how would the formula be written? Thanks. Todd If you are to return the same results why do you need 2 formulas? It would be good to give specifics with examples. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Todd" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:04d201c3b391$f9f5ef20$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to have 2 sumif functions in one formula > and return the same results. If so, how would the formula > be written? Thanks. > > T...

Help with formula 12-17-09

Need help on this....thanks

Catalog Merge fields come as Plain Text, but datasource is Rich Te
In creating a Publisher Catalog Merge template, I have an MS Access 2007 database, with a product decription field that is a Memo field, with Rich Text formatting. When I import the field into the Catalog Merge Template the field comes over as Plain Text. The formatting information shows a HTML Tags. Example : "Product Description" shows the quote marks as "Product Description" Any ideas? I can't see any format options in Publisher 2007 to allow me to keep the RTF format. I suggest you create a new publication from the catalog merge and save that result as a ...

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

need help badly

I need Help

Help, MVP!
Milly, Sue, Vince.. Can you help 'fix' this- I have still not found the cure, thank you! Outlook 2000 (Internet Only) is set to check for mail ever five minutes. However, when it does so, Outlook now insists on displaying the dialog box stating that the "Requested tasks were completed successfully." The dialog box has a "Hide this message" box which is checked, and the push pin is not 'set'. I must have messed up a setting when I reset my toolbars... (issue resolved - I accidentally pinned the toolbar to the desktop, went nuts till I figure out a doub...

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...

sumif formula required
Hello I have only basic knowledge of excel and need a formula to extrac information. A B C Client Process Sqm CEK Fibre 100 RDF Gloss 200 ERF Emul 150 CEK Fibre 100 What formula should I use to extract all CEK clients who purchase th fibre process giving total sqm. I would be extremely grateful to anyone who...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Summary of data using array formula
I have a spreadsheet where there are several columns with data using validation picklists as well as free-entry columns. I would like to create a summary of the data in the form of counts based on the existence of specific values in these columns with the ability to change the date range. I've created the array formula and have set up a 'startdate' and 'enddate' cells where the user can enter the range they're looking for. No matter what I do the value always reports a zero. I have used these types of array formulas before, however, not using date rang...

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help