Maximum number of rows in a excel 2003 work sheet

Hi,
As a new user to excel I am thinking of setting up a data base of my music. 
The total number of tracks is in excess of 70,000. I have seen a simple 
solution using excel which would be ok but I'm not sure if I can have 70,000 
rows in one work sheet. A friend has suggested access which I am not 
familiar with and don't know if this will allow 70,000 entries. Can anyone 
please tell me what the maximum numbers are in both access and excel 2003.

Cheers
Glinty 


0
Glinty
9/4/2007 4:32:29 PM
excel.newusers 15348 articles. 2 followers. Follow

9 Replies
501 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 23

Max in Excel 2003 is 65536 (in one sheet) whereas Access only limit is your 
memory




-- 
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom







"Glinty" <Glinty @nomailatall.co.uk> wrote in message 
news:pc2dnXLEz507FUDbnZ2dnUVZ8sCsnZ2d@bt.com...
> Hi,
> As a new user to excel I am thinking of setting up a data base of my 
> music. The total number of tracks is in excess of 70,000. I have seen a 
> simple solution using excel which would be ok but I'm not sure if I can 
> have 70,000 rows in one work sheet. A friend has suggested access which I 
> am not familiar with and don't know if this will allow 70,000 entries. Can 
> anyone please tell me what the maximum numbers are in both access and 
> excel 2003.
>
> Cheers
> Glinty
> 


0
terre081 (3244)
9/4/2007 4:40:34 PM
Thanks Peo, It looks like I'm going to have to start learning about Access 
then.
Cheers
Glinty
"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message 
news:enGwTJx7HHA.4736@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Max in Excel 2003 is 65536 (in one sheet) whereas Access only limit is 
> your memory
>
>
>
>
> -- 
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> "Glinty" <Glinty @nomailatall.co.uk> wrote in message 
> news:pc2dnXLEz507FUDbnZ2dnUVZ8sCsnZ2d@bt.com...
>> Hi,
>> As a new user to excel I am thinking of setting up a data base of my 
>> music. The total number of tracks is in excess of 70,000. I have seen a 
>> simple solution using excel which would be ok but I'm not sure if I can 
>> have 70,000 rows in one work sheet. A friend has suggested access which I 
>> am not familiar with and don't know if this will allow 70,000 entries. 
>> Can anyone please tell me what the maximum numbers are in both access and 
>> excel 2003.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Glinty
>>
>
> 


0
Glinty
9/4/2007 5:18:08 PM
Excel 2007 has over a million rows, of course it has a new radical design
hated by a lot of people and loved by a few


-- 
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom



"Glinty" <Glinty @nomailatall.co.uk> wrote in message 
news:PPOdnfz6qrPADkDbnZ2dnUVZ8qWhnZ2d@bt.com...
> Thanks Peo, It looks like I'm going to have to start learning about Access 
> then.
> Cheers
> Glinty
> "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message 
> news:enGwTJx7HHA.4736@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Max in Excel 2003 is 65536 (in one sheet) whereas Access only limit is 
>> your memory
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -- 
>> Regards,
>>
>> Peo Sjoblom
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> "Glinty" <Glinty @nomailatall.co.uk> wrote in message 
>> news:pc2dnXLEz507FUDbnZ2dnUVZ8sCsnZ2d@bt.com...
>>> Hi,
>>> As a new user to excel I am thinking of setting up a data base of my 
>>> music. The total number of tracks is in excess of 70,000. I have seen a 
>>> simple solution using excel which would be ok but I'm not sure if I can 
>>> have 70,000 rows in one work sheet. A friend has suggested access which 
>>> I am not familiar with and don't know if this will allow 70,000 entries. 
>>> Can anyone please tell me what the maximum numbers are in both access 
>>> and excel 2003.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Glinty
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
terre081 (3244)
9/4/2007 5:33:32 PM
"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message 
news:e$su5mx7HHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Excel 2007 has over a million rows, of course it has a new radical design
> hated by a lot of people and loved by a few

And in any case, Excel is a data MANIPULATION application, not a database. 
Anything with data approaching 60,000 records will be MUCH better served 
using a specific database application rather than Excel... 


0
gbplinux (1141)
9/4/2007 6:43:33 PM
I agree, use a database for storing lots of records, then use Excel to query 
the database whether it is using a database query or a pivot table.. 
Unfortunately many people use it as a database then complain when it is 
slow.


-- 
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom



"Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message 
news:O%23DqJOy7HHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message 
> news:e$su5mx7HHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Excel 2007 has over a million rows, of course it has a new radical design
>> hated by a lot of people and loved by a few
>
> And in any case, Excel is a data MANIPULATION application, not a database. 
> Anything with data approaching 60,000 records will be MUCH better served 
> using a specific database application rather than Excel...
> 


0
terre081 (3244)
9/4/2007 7:51:38 PM
> loved by a few

Can you name any of these few>g>


Gord

0
Gord
9/4/2007 7:55:04 PM
> Unfortunately many people use it as a database then complain when it is 
> slow.

I imagine that abuse was further encouraged when they added over 1 million 
rows.

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> I agree, use a database for storing lots of records, then use Excel to query 
> the database whether it is using a database query or a pivot table.. 
> Unfortunately many people use it as a database then complain when it is 
> slow.
> 
> 
> -- 
> Regards,
> 
> Peo Sjoblom
> 
> 
> 
> "Gordon" <gbplinux@gmail.com.invalid> wrote in message 
> news:O%23DqJOy7HHA.3624@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message 
> > news:e$su5mx7HHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> >> Excel 2007 has over a million rows, of course it has a new radical design
> >> hated by a lot of people and loved by a few
> >
> > And in any case, Excel is a data MANIPULATION application, not a database. 
> > Anything with data approaching 60,000 records will be MUCH better served 
> > using a specific database application rather than Excel...
> > 
> 
> 
> 
0
jmb (270)
9/5/2007 3:40:00 AM
"JMB" <JMB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:BE07B8CD-5A45-450F-BBEC-99CDB1304D8B@microsoft.com...
>> Unfortunately many people use it as a database then complain when it is
>> slow.
>
> I imagine that abuse was further encouraged when they added over 1 million
> rows.
>

Yes - I cannot IMAGINE any sane person using Excel with that amount of 
data - and I'm a retired (just!) Systems and Management Accountant... 


0
gbplinux (1141)
9/5/2007 6:58:30 AM
Gordon wrote:
> "JMB" <JMB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:BE07B8CD-5A45-450F-BBEC-99CDB1304D8B@microsoft.com...
>>> Unfortunately many people use it as a database then complain when it is
>>> slow.
>> I imagine that abuse was further encouraged when they added over 1 million
>> rows.
>>
> 
> Yes - I cannot IMAGINE any sane person using Excel with that amount of 
> data - and I'm a retired (just!) Systems and Management Accountant... 
> 
> 

I agree but 65000 rows was a limit that I bumped against constantly.
I work with a database with about 75000 SKU's and customer sales history
that commonly exceeded the row limit. I was glad to see the increase. 
While most of what I needed could be done in Access sometimes it's just 
easier for me to do it in Excel.

gls858
0
gls858 (460)
9/5/2007 4:24:00 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How do i sort items using two rows per item in Excel?
Sorting single rows is simple, but is it possible to sort items that contain information in two rows so that both rows stay together? How? You will need a helper column that contains information to tie the two rows together in their proper relationship, such as Xxxxxx001, Xxxxxx002, etc etc with the "x"'s being your primary sort data...........then when you sort on that column things will be together. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "primus4000" <primus4000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2BF7F60C-68C5-4778-94BA-2659480D40DB@microsoft.com... >...

Defining a block of consecutive rows in a datatable
I've got a large set of time-series data which is organised _strictly_ in time sequence and contained in a (VB2005) datatable. I want to iterate through this data to extract various hourly means, which means identifying blocks of consecutive rows and computing hourly aggregate functions (mean, SD etc). I do have this working but by progressively working through the table from top to bottom, identifying a block of rows with the same hour value, copying this block of rows to a separate scratchpad datatable and using various datatable.compute aggregate functions on all of the row...

Excel 2007
Hi All, I wonder if you can help me please. I have figures sent to me monthly from 4 members of staff, I have to collate this information to create 1 monthly summary report and also graphs from the various data sets too. I want to standardise and simplify this procedure as it take ages to complete each month. First off, I created a template for my staff members which they have to complete monthly, that way I am receiving their data in exactly the same layout and format each month. The templates ask my 4 managers for different figures, the 1 sheet in their individua...

Open Excel worksheet from web page.
I have an excel 2000 worksheet with extensive VBA code. I can open the worksheet in Excel 2000 and Excel 97 without any problems (the code was written in Excel 2000 VBA but works in both versions of Excel). The worksheet is located on a server on a LAN. However, when I try calling it from a web page, it seems to give varying results. I have tried several methods of calling the worksheet. a) Using ASP and CreateObject("Excel.Application") and then using this objects Open method to open the required workbook. This works OK if Excel 2000 installed on client but gives run time erro...

how can I mark the maximum point on x-y graph
in excel program how can I mark the maximum point on a x-y graph Hi, Maybe these examples will help. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FormatMinMax.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/Labellast.htm Cheers Andy MAJ-BEHNAM wrote: > in excel program how can I mark the maximum point on a x-y graph -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Account number change
Sorry for the repeat, but I'm still having trouble with this. My bank changed my account number. I had to change the credentials used for online updates. When Money updates, it creates a set of duplicate accounts for that bank. Fine...I merge duplicate accounts and everything should be fine, right? The next time money updates, it creates ANOTHER set of duplicate accounts that have no transactions in them. If I merge again, I can't see all my old transactions anymore. How do I correct this? In microsoft.public.money, Banjolicious wrote: >Sorry for the repeat, but I'm still ha...

data validation of range, email specific row
Hi I'm trying to validate the data in cells C5:D5 if boths cells are yes, I would like it to send the row with both yes values and then set E5 to yes c d e tested? success? emailed? I don't know how to validate a range, I only figured out how to do one cell.. Sub Yes() Sheets("Sheet1").Select If Range("C5").Value = "Yes" Then MsgBox "Yes." End If End Sub How do I tell it to send the email after How do get it to send just the heading row and the row with c5:d5 value = yes as a html table? How do I set...

Maximum number of recipients
For Outlook 2003 on SBS 2003, is there a maximum number of recipients that a message can be sent to? Thanks, Robert Your ISP is the determining factor, not Outlook. Most limit from 25 to 50 for residential accounts and up to 150 for commercial accounts. "Robert Ramin" <rramin@swcsx.com> wrote in message news:eCWbWuPiGHA.1936@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > For Outlook 2003 on SBS 2003, is there a maximum number of recipients that > a message can be sent to? > > Thanks, > Robert > ...

Which the maximum of characters of value in a cell?
When I impute a numerical sequence in a cell with more than 15 digits, excel does not conserve the typed value, modifying the digits from 16th typed. I ask: it is necessary to adjust some configuration in excel? Hi Excel's numerical limit is 15 digits. If you need to use more than 15, you'll have to enter it as text - either by formatting the cell as text before you type into it, or by starting the entry with a ' Hope this helps. Andy. "Malisky" <Malisky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B261F7DB-7A39-45D5-8FCE-F750D26D36EC@microsoft.com....

Comparing Excel Files
Does anyone know about a Macro or Add-in that compares 2 Excel files/sheets in a similar manner to Compare in Word? Thanks. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Amr Tabbarah < wrote: > Does anyone know about a Macro or Add-in that compares 2 Excel > files/sheets in a similar manner to Compare in Word? One way is to save two sheets as CSV files and use Word to compare the CSV files. (It's awkward, but it gets the job done.) 1. One method I like is to make a third sheet to show differences an put a formula like this in all cells :- =Sheet1!A1-Sheet2!A1 ....for...

import 1000 webs to Explorer from Excel.
I need to import 1000 webs to Explorer from Excel 2000. I have 1 column with the URl and another with some comments.In Explorer 7, I import and doesnt recognize the XLS file with the URL´s (its not a HTML file). Will it import the column with the comments/type of web (its important, too)? Any suggestions? ...

Cannot remove drop-down list from top row
Hi, I have inherrited an Excel spreadsheet and my office package has recently been upgraded to Office 2003. For some reason, even after I turn off the auto-filters certain columns retain their drop-down boxes and I can't get rid of them. When I click on the drop downs nothing happens, so they don't work or seem to do anything. It is only a cosmetic problem but it is driving me nuts!! Please can someone help me with this. I can't find an answer anywhere. TIA Kenny Just something to try... Try selecting a different range and applying data|filter|autofilter there. Ma...

Excel 2007
Background: The issue is on a Vista system running Office 2007. The user is creating an excel workbook with 5-7 worksheets. The 1st 2 worksheets have 1000 - 6000 records, the rest of the sheets are graphs and charts that are created from those records. In one of the charts she is creating a dot diagram which has 1000-6000 dots plotted on it. Issue: The spreadsheet with the graphs are changing each time the document is closed and reopened (dots are changing locations) and the workbook is constantly becoming non-responsive. Please advise on what could be causing this issue. Thank you. ...

MS Access to MS excel
When I'm Access�. After a report has been generated (in Word format) I usually merge i with MS Excel and then email it off to our clients. However the forma of some of the fields change when this merge takes place. The date column will be in a date format in Access but when merged wit Excel the date format changes to a text format (what this means is tha the properties of the date column changes when the merge takes place) This change affects how our clients ingest the data I send them Yo can see this by going into one of the date cells in Excel and checkin the properties. I am u...

Document numbering in Excel
Please help! I need to know how to put in a formula for the follwing. I created delivery notes on Excel. In the one cell I need to put a formula in order to bring up a new page number for every new delivery note I do. This I must do the same for collection notes and invoices. I need this really urgently. Thank you so much. -- Rykie Botha Hi, look into McGimpsey web http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html if this helps please click yes thanks "Rykie" wrote: > Please help! I need to know how to put in a formula for the follwing. ...

Publisher 2003 Page setup menu #2
I am trying to change some page setup options but On 01 May 2004 18:41, "j ringer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to change some page setup options but But... -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.mvps.org/publisher This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

maximum size of a Microsoft Excel list for a pivot table
What is the maximum size of a list I may use to create a pivot table? In excel help type specifications Chick Worksheet/workbook specification>pivot table specs >-----Original Message----- >What is the maximum size of a list I may use to create a pivot table? >. > ...

averaging numbers #2
Using Excel 2007 I need to average numbers. The numbers are in the same rows _but_ not in consecutive columns. The problem I am trying to get around is that in some rows, some cells are blank (do not contain a number) and I therefore do not want them included in the calculations even though the formula includes them. How does "=AVERAGE" handle blank cells? Do I have to do anything special to make XL ignore the blank cells when averaging the numbers? Thank you. Jeff AVERAGE ignores blank cells. Suppose you have 2 in A1, A2 is empty and A3 contains 4, then: =3D AVERAGE(A1:A3)...

Excel macro filter Like keyword
I am trying to program a filter so that it searches a keyword among a string of characters in my first column I used a combo to feed a linked cell. I have the following code: Private Sub ComboBox1_Change() SourceRange.AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="Like & " * "& A1 & " * "" End Sub I have a type mismatch error. Any help would be great! My criterion (linked) cell is A1 Thanks -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-programming/201003/1 Is A1 on the same worksheet as the sour...

Maximum no of accounts
Hello, Does anyone know what the maximum no of accounts is that can be created in Microsoft 2004? We have anywhere between 350-400 clubs that we need to store in a single file. Your help would be greatly appreciate, esp. if it comes within 2 days. -Nanci In microsoft.public.money, Nanci wrote: >Does anyone know what the maximum no of accounts is that >can be created in Microsoft 2004? We have anywhere >between 350-400 clubs that we need to store in a single >file. Your help would be greatly appreciate, esp. if it >comes within 2 days. http://support.microsoft.com/...

EXCEL 2008 CRASHES
Excel keeps crashing. I have the latest Mac operating system OS X 10.5.<br> I have reinstalled Office. Does not help. No other programs crash, Word ect. are ok.<br> Bob <bobplame@officeformac.com> wrote: > Excel keeps crashing. I have the latest Mac operating system OS X 10.5. It does for me too when I copy from Excel or when I try to import .csv files. I fear it might be a bug and we'll have to wait for an update to see any improvement in this regard :-( Corentin -- --- Mac:MS MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ --- http://www.mvps.org ...

How does data go to the next row automatically in table?
How do I format a table so that data entered will automatically go to the next row, instead of being clumped into one row? I'm using a table in Word Hit the tab key??? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "kam shergill" <kam shergill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19CCDCB9-F5F1-445E-A1E9-ECC83D939479@microsoft.com... > How do I format a table so that data entered will automatically go to the > next row, instead of being clumped into one row? I'm using a table in Word kam sh...

i haev not used excel much this weeks, but it has just started to play up.
it seems to be having a problem. I start excel as normal from the start menu and then Microsoft Excel, then I click a box to start typing, if after clicking a box, and I move the mouse in any direction it starts to select boxes. like the mouse button is already held down, but it is not, I have tried another mouse and also tried the keyboard short cuts and had the mouse unplugged too, when I have restarted the pc to make sure it was not anything to do with the mouse. has anyone else had this and fixed it,? if so how did you fix it, thanks in advance for any help that you are able to give ...

Random Number Generator #2
I need to create a random number generator in Excel 2000 to fill one column and about 3000 rows. How do I go about doing this? To generate a random whole number between 1 and 3000, you can use =int(rand()*(3000-1)+1) binder Wrote: > I need to create a random number generator in Excel 2000 to fill on > column > and about 3000 rows. How do I go about doing this -- BenjieLo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.co...

TransferSpreadsheet Excel 2007 into Access 2003
How can I TransferSpreadsheet Excel 2007 into Access 2003? This does not work: DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet , acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "tblSomeData", "C: \DataFolder\SomeData.xlsx", True, "Sheet1$" If I save as an xls it will work: DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet , acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "tblSomeData", "C: \DataFolder\SomeData.xls", True, "Sheet1$" Do I need to do that? Is there another way? Since Access 2003 came out long before Excel 2007 was designed, it seems logical that it doesn't know anything about the Excel...