Losing cell borders when I copy and paste

When I copy and paste into a blank cell my borders from the cell dissapear.
What am I doing wrong?
0
Davo (4)

Are you copying a bordered cell onto an un-bordered cell?

Format from source will go with the source.

If copying an unbordered cell onto a blank bordered cell, source format will
wipe the target cell format.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:47:00 -0700, Davo <Davo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I copy and paste into a blank cell my borders from the cell dissapear.
>What am I doing wrong?

0
Gord
4/19/2008 11:06:04 PM
Try paste special -> Values.
--
HTH,
Barb Reinhardt

"Davo" wrote:

> When I copy and paste into a blank cell my borders from the cell dissapear.
> What am I doing wrong?

How do I find text among multiple worksheets and return the cell .
Lets say i want to find the text cat in all sheets in my workbook and have the cell address returned to a cell(s) next to it? I want it to look something like this: sheet1 sheet2 sheet3 cat Sheet2!C4 Sheet3!C4 Or even better i would love to write a macro that will search the entire workbook for any text that I put in cell A1. and return all cell addresses for that text. Is this possible? ...

Copying existing sheets to another Workbook
I need help copying an existing sheet along with the links on that sheet to another workbook. I have two workbooks, say Workbook1 and Workbook2. They are the same exact workbooks with the same worksheets in them, the same layout. Only the data is different. In workbook 1 I have inserted a sheet that summarizes the data from the other sheets in that workbook. Now I want to copy that sheet to Workbook2 so that I don't have to make a summary page for Workbook2. The problem is that the sheet has links in it and when I copy and/or move the sheet to the new workbook those links are still ...

Linking cells to MS Project cells
I have an Excel file with cells linked to MS Project cells. There are several MS Project source files involved. When first created all the Excel links worked as expected. Upon reopening the Excel file some cells update properly and others display #NAME?. Does anyone know why and is there a way to fix this? To make matters a bit more confusing I have seen(on rare occasion)upon reopening the Excel file some cells previously displaying the #NAME? value displaying appropriate linked data correctly. ...

changin amount in cell
Been asked to increase amount in one column by 500 in excel 2003 Put 500 in an empty cell, copy it, select the cell you want to increase and do edit>paste special and select add -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "jillingore" <jillingore@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B41E6BF0-28B5-4E2D-AFB8-E6FFD99325A0@microsoft.com... > Been asked to increase amount in one column by 500 in excel 2003 ...

Relative and Absolute Reference to Cells in a Formula
Hi all, I can't find how to do this... I am working in worksheet Sheet2 and have inserted this formula in cell C3 =IF(B3=7,Sheet1!B49*Sheet1!B61,IF(B3=6,Sheet1!B48*Sheet1!B61,IF(B3<6,Sheet1!B47*Sheet1!B61,0))) the formula works OK. Now, if I copy and paste the above formula to Sheet2!C4 the formula automatically changes to: =IF(B4=7,Sheet1!B50*Sheet1!B62,IF(B4=6,Sheet1!B49*Sheet1!B62,IF(B4<6,Sheet1!B48*Sheet1!B62,0))) so all references to cells are incremented of 1 unit. My problem is that I want only the reference to the B column cells on Sheet2 to change automati...

How do I refer to non-contiguous cells in a compound function ...
I'd like to do a ttest on non-contiguous cells, but am having trouble making excel understand where the commas delimit lists of cells and where they delimt the function's elements. So I'd like: ttest({a1,h1},{b2,i2},2,1) which doesn't work ... Thanks Adrian Adrian, Try: =TTEST((A1,H1),(B2,I2),2,1) HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Adrian@detroit" <Adrian@detroit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:879AF398-4295-4796-8249-F45353D9C6A5@microsoft.com... > I'd like to do a ttest on non-contiguous cells, but am having trouble making > excel ...

Outlook Client Is Losing Connection To Microsoft CRM While Online
Hi. I have Rollup 2 installed on both the Outlook Client and the server. On my laptop, I am running Win XP Pro with SP 2 and all the updates applied and Outlook 2003 with all the updates applied. I am noticing that I seem to be losing the connection to Microsoft CRM from the Outlook Client. Right after I boot my laptop I am able to access to Microsoft CRM from the Outlook Client for between 4 hours to a day. After that if I click on the Accounts, Contacts or Leads folders nothing seems to happen. I have waited up to 10 minutes after clicking and nothing. At this point I can still use...

Datagrid Cell Locked
Hi: I have developed an app that has sevearl data grids on different forms. They all were working. One grid has several columns with most locked and the operator can only change the data in one column. (that one column is not "locked"). The form has worked for weeks, but now (I don't know why), the operator cannot enter the cell...it is as if the cell is locked. I have gone to the grid (in the developement environment) and insured that the column is not locked. I have also added a line of programming to the refresh action: "me.grddaily.columns(5).locke...

How can I copy/paste a URL or email address into hyperlink
I am using Publisher 2003. I am required to insert several hyperlinks (either URLs or email addresses) into a Publisher document. The only way I can find to do this is by typing the address manually into the hyperlink dialog box. I would really like to copy paste directly into the box, as it would save so much time. None of the MS Office applications seem able to create instant hyperlinks, although I could possibly create the text in Outlook or OE & copy/paste that way. Is it a negative feature, or have I missed something? TIA John Nelson, New Zealand Not sure I know what you a...

Checking for merged cells
Is there a way in VBA to loop through a range, check if any of the cells are formatted as merged cells and if so, display a message? Thanks. Hi, Like this maybe Sub MergedCells() Dim c As Range For Each c In ActiveSheet.UsedRange If c.MergeCells Then MsgBox c.Address & " is merged" End If Next End Sub -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "dhstein" wrote: > Is there a ...

Drop Down in Cell?
I have a spreadsheet I created a while ago. It has cells with drop down lists... i.e., when in the cell, it shows a down-arrow/chevron to the right of the cell. Clicking on the down arrow gives a list of items to select from... based on the selection, other cells receive data from look-up tables. How did I create the drop down list in the cell? The cell has no formula, etc... just the behavior of the drop down. I can't remember how I did this.. Please help! Thanks MS Hi Martin Data > Validation. See De bra's page http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html on this. -- HTH...

Cannot copy the merge cells into another sheet
hi I m a new user of excel. Recently i have working on excel.When this problem occurs. My problem is that I have a data in one sheet. Which has cities wise data.And some cells are merge. I have to copy the one city (NEW DELHI) data into another sheet. I make the autofilter in the sheet and find the city i:e NEW DELHI Now the problem started with me is that when i copy the filter data an ERROR MESSAGE DISPLAY:- CANNOT CHANGE THE PART OF A MERGE CELL. Is it possible to copy and then paste into another sheet this type of data.Without unmerge the cell. Because it is not possible to me first...

value reference to a certain cell
I have created a table with some items of goods (A2:A6), proper unit of measures (B2:B6) and prices (C2:C6). Then I created a drilldown list of goods (A2:A6) thru VALIDATION function in cell E2. I would like UOM and PRICE in cells F2 and G2 to appear automatically like values in cells B2 and C2, i.e. I want UOM and PRICE referenced correctly while choosing any item of goods in cell E2. Appeciate your advice or help in giving a link to resolving the issue. Tks. +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: e.g..jpg ...

Copy contents of a cell into a blank cell
How do I copy the contents of cell B2 into cell D2 only if D2 is empty Hi It cannot be done with a formula - only with VBA. The following code should achieve what you described Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address = "$D$2" Then If Range("D2") = "" Then Range("D2") = Range("B2").Value End If End Sub To Use Copy Code above Right click on sheet tab>View Code Paste code into white pane that appears Alt+F11 to return to Excel -- Regards Roger Govier "fire9...

Counting cells based on cell formatting
Hello, I have a large set of numerical data (cells I8:O24607) in which each cell has been formatted to have either no fill or one of 5 different colored (light yellow, yellow, orange, red, or black) fills. The cell values and formatting were copied and pasted into this worksheet from other worksheets so there is no conditional formatting applied to the current sheet. The formatting represents a quality rating and I would like to count the number of cells that have either no fill or the light yellow fill in each column. Is this possible to do using the IF function and having the cell fill be ...

Cell formatting in Excel Pivot Diagram
We use Excel 2000 to display a Pivot diagram. The datasource is an olap cube on a SQL server 2000 I would like to format the column headings of the pivot diagram so they are displayed vertically. In excel I go to FORMAT menu, then FORMAT CELLs, then ALIGNMENT. Here I can set the orientation of the header cells to any angle I want (90 degrees). The pivot diagram allows the user to click on a header cell (year) to display the next more detailed level (week number). We have 3 such levels. I expand all levels of the header cells and set the orientation to 90 degrees. After a collapse of the he...

Paste Sometimes Freezes Email
Sometimes when copying and pasting into an email, Outlook blanks out everything in the email and hangs/freezes. About the only thing to do is to minimize the email and then re-open it, at which time the original and pasted material are visible. This doesn't happen all the time, but it is sure irritating when it does! Running Outlook 2007 (12.o.6514.5000) SP@ MSO (12.0.6425.1000) on Vista Enterprise, Service Pack 1, 32 bit. Any help / pointers wil be most appreciated... James -- James Cox http://forums.slipstick.com Can you repro that behavior in Outlook Saf...

How to link to a certain cell based on the value of another cell?
What I would like to do is tell excel to link a certain cell =$A$1 style, but use the contents of another cell to specify this. For example, if the value of A1 was the number 3, I would like to link to =$B$3. So far, the only think I have found to work is using an if statement to say IF(A1=3, =$B$3) but this isn't practical for a spreadsheet with many many rows. Is there a way to have excel fundamentally do a =$B$(A1) where it uses the value of A1 to determine which column in B to link to? It seems like there has to be a way to do this if an if statement can do this for a limite...

Pictures in Cells
Hello, I teach elementary computers, and I often make my own online worksheets for the kids. I am making an "ABC Order" sheet where I have pictures of animals in one column and pictures of animal names (as opposed to just typing the names in the cells) in another column. The kids will slide the names into alphabetical order, then slide the picture of the animal next to it. My question is this; is there a way to "protect" or "lock" the pictures so that the kids can move them but not accidentally resize them? I have tried every combination of loc...

Merging cells in a shared workbook......
Excel 2003 I ran into something I haven't as of yet and am wondering if it is due to working within a shared workbook. I am unable to merge cells as the option to do so is greyed out. The sheet is not protected by the protect command. Forgive me if this has been asked but since I access this from work, I have to use the web browser and not an actual reader and I haven't found the search function (if there is one). Thanks for any and all replies. :) It is due to being shared. >-----Original Message----- >Excel 2003 > >I ran into something I haven't as of yet ...

Formatting cells with numbers and text
I have a column of numbers with text; i.e., 23L252350, 06K100997, 50J304888, etc. These numbers and text need to have a hyphen inserted after the first two numbers/characters and the next four numbers/characters, i.e., 23-L252-350, 06-K100-997, 50-J304-888. I tried using Format-Cells-Number-Custom, but cannot seem to get it to work since the 3rd character is usually (but not always) text. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Hi, try =LEFT(B7,2)&"-"&MID(B7,3,4)&"-"&RIGHT(B7,3) change the cell # to fit your needs "Dazed and...

How do I select a cell 5 cells from the active cell?
seems simple enough, but i can't figure it out. i am at a particular random location, and I need to select the cell 5 rows over. TIA JasonK One way: Public Sub SelectCell5RowsFromActiveCell() With ActiveCell If .Row <= Rows.Count - 5 Then _ .Offset(5, 0).Select End With End Sub In article <bbkd12tjjfv9qishbo3p629lu8iu8f5g16@4ax.com>, JasonK <JasonK@aol.com> wrote: > seems simple enough, but i can't figure it out. > > i am at a particular random location, and I need to select the cell 5 > rows over....

Sum variable range of column entries in offset cell #2
Hi chaps, Many thanks those of you who tried to help with this question last week, but my simplified example wasn't good enough. I'll ask the question again but with a more detailed explanantion. Sorry for any induced headaches in advance. I have 900 lines of data (A3:AT902). Below this I am using an INDIRECT formula to pull down (copy) certain lines from this mass of data (depending on certain entries within the data) into 60 separate tables below. First table (A915:AT943), second table (A951:AT979), etc. Much of the lines of data copied down into my 60 tables is numeric, and o...

Blank Cell vs Cell equal to Zero (0)
When creating a formula, is there a way to differentiate between a blank cell and a cell that's equal to 0? Here's my formula: =IF('2005 Sales'!O12>0,'2005 Sales'!O12,"") I wanted to change this to if O12 is greater than or equal to 0, then return O12, but I want it to return ("") if the contents of O12 is blank. Is there a way to do this? ... TIA! LavaDude What happens if O12 is *less* then zero? This will leave O12 blank ( "" ) if less then zero: =IF(AND(ISNUMBER(O12),O12>=0),O12,"") -- HTH, RD =========...

Formula (not result) appears in cell
Every now and again when I type a formula into a cell, the formula itself appears in the cell (including the starting = sign), rather than the result of the formula. Even when I delete it and re-enter it the same thing happens. Has anyone got any idea why, and how I stop it from happening? I think I found the answer myself, but thanks for your help. The problem seems to occur when the original cell is formatted for TEXT, and it seems Excel reads (for some reason) the formula as text. The answer is to reformat the cell to GENERAL, and then re-enter the formula. Thanks again, Leslie ...