Longest Entry in Columns

Hi.  What is the best / quickest way to find the longest entry (most
characters / numbers, etc.) in a column?  Thanks.
0
Rebecca (144)

Hi!

This array formula entered with the key combo of
CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER will tell you how long the longest entry
is in a range of cells:

=MAX(LEN(A1:A100))

If you want to identify that entry, you could use
conditional formatting:

Select the range A1:A100
Goto Format>Conditional Formatting
Formula is: =LEN(A1)=MAX(LEN(A$1:A$100))
Click the Format button and select a background fill color
OK out

Biff

0
biffinpitt (3171)
2/26/2005 3:44:20 AM
P.S. -

If you want the longest entry in a range of cells to be
returned in a formula:

Array entered with the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INDEX(A1:A100,MATCH(TRUE,LEN(A1:A100)=MAX(LEN
(A1:A100)),0))

If more than one cell contains the longest entry the
formula will return the first instance of the longest
entry.

Biff

0
biffinpitt (3171)

PO amount different on PO Entry screen from printed PO
Hi, We have a problem that seems to happen every month. In the Purchase Order Entry window, the subtotal on this one particular PO is $590,776.35. However if we print the PO, the subtotal amount on the printed PO is only $472,451.66. The only seems to happen on random PO's and we can't figure out why. It's starting to annoy our Purchasing department... Ideas? Thanks, --Nathan Nathan, What version and service pack of GP? Are there PO's entered manually or imported? Is the PO report modified? Are there typically a lot of changes to the PO's that this happens to?...

calculated column in pivot table
Can I create a calculated column in a pivot table from two other columns. I have tried creating formulas but that does not seem to do the trick. The answer is yes. For anything less general, we'll need specifics on what you tried, and what happened. "does not seem to do the trick" does not give us much to go on. Regards, Fred "freeriderxlt" <st.jdaich@gmail.com> wrote in message news:97a60a38-262d-4a91-9474-7c26d8c44be3@a16g2000pre.googlegroups.com... > Can I create a calculated column in a pivot table from two other > columns. I have trie...

name entry
when i entry names in contact they are displayed incorrectly - last name is the first name and vise versa. can someone please tell me how to correct it? -- thanks, Preacherman We could if you told us how and where you are entering the name and what setting you specified for the field you are using. -- Russ Valentine "preacherman" <preacherman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0920B20E-CD41-46AA-9787-CF71DAFF0A81@microsoft.com... > when i entry names in contact they are displayed incorrectly - last name > is > the first name and vise v...

Row to Column #2
I have a row with 94 entries. I would like this data converted to a column instead. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? Thank you. Brian Copy the row. Assume row 1 Select A2 and Paste Special>Transpose>OK>Esc. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:45:03 -0800, "Brian" <Brian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a row with 94 entries. > >I would like this data converted to a column instead. > >Is there an easy way to accomplish this? > >Thank you. Thank you Gord, worked like a charm. "Gord Dibben" wrote: >...

Row height and column width -- how can we translate into inches?
Is it possible to know when we're aiming for a certain overall size, of how many inches go into a row height and column width? If I need an overall size of, say, 2.75 x 5 inches, can I figure out how many units this would be made up in in Excel? Thanks! :oD Depends entirely on the media that you will be showing the sheet on. StargateFanFromWork wrote: > Is it possible to know when we're aiming for a certain overall size, of how > many inches go into a row height and column width? If I need an overall > size of, say, 2.75 x 5 inches, can I figure out how many unit...

linking spinner and button entries
I'm trying to achieve a dual way of incrementing the contents of a cell using the spinner and / or buttons from the forms toolbar. Example - Cell B1 contains the number 5 spinner increments the entry by 1. Cell now contains the number 6 Button then increments same entry by 1 each time it's clicked (4 clicks). Cell now contains the number 10. Spinner works OK, Being a novice (especially to macros) I'm now struggling to get the button to work. I can get it to increase by 1 (using another cell for the result) but it only worlks once because cell B1 remains constant. Can anyone...

Dates between cells in one column and another
Hi can any one help me. I need to find out which dates within one column are less than 12 weeks apart from dates in another column. For example: Column A 12/03/2009 14/03/2009 Column B 14/04/2009 16/06/2009 I have two columns with 2000 records in and need to identify these records Try something like this... =IF(B1<A1+(12*7),"Less","") -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "excelitous" <excelitous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E262489A-3F6F-4959-AFB5-B3B237F173EF@microsoft.com... > Hi can any one help ...

Making the AND function look at only part of a cell entry
I am trying to identify different conditions that might exist with data using an AND statement embedded in an IF statement. The cell entries in column K might contain the word "composite", but there will be many times when the cell will have other words as well, e.g. Composite class/Multi-managed. I've looked at other posts on the board and tried various wild card-type solutions but can't find a way to make the AND statement look at only part of the cell. =IF(AND(G2="dupe",I2="x"),"delete",IF(AND(G2="dupe",K2="comp...

Copy data from one column across one row....
Hey guys, I would like to take one column of data and copy it across one row., so, I want the data to go left to right across the spreadsheet instead of top to bottom. If you have a suggestion to solve this, macro or whatever, could you please email it to me at: krea@dslextreme.com thanks, kevin rea asked in excel -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com <krea@dslextreme.com> wrote in message news:107rliascplaf51@corp.supernews.com... > Hey guys, > > I would like to take one column of data and copy it across one row., > so, I want the data to go left to ri...

Determine the Empty row and/or column
I want to determine if a particular row or column is empty using VBA?? I can determine the last used row in the given worksheet. But this is differenet from determining the last used row. As other row below the empty row may have data in it. Hi, Try these 2 which return TRUE if the row or column is empty RowEmpty = WorksheetFunction.CountA(Rows(1)) = 0 ColumnEmpty = WorksheetFunction.CountA(Columns(1)) = 0 Generally, I find this webpage a great reference for last row etc http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/lastcell.htm -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise ...

list box to verify data entry-can't stop auto trailing entry inclu
Table Data3 Env_no number list box , table/query, row source personal info by alphabet Date date/time Designation text Contribution currency Table Personal info Env_no number L_name text F-name text Range of env_no is 0 to 1000 Problem is that when I start to type 3 in table Data3 it shows 399 in listbox if I next type 0 the list box shows 305 if I then type "spacebar" the list box shows 30 When entering data quickly I would like it to show only digits actually typed (and stored when "return Key&q...

Text-to-columns
I have a column in Excel 2007 as such Virginia Beach, VA 23464 Glen Allen, VA 23059 etc etc How can I convert that into three columns? The text-to-columns button is greyed out. Want City, State, and Zip in their own separate columns. Oops.. meant to post this in Excel, oh well. No clue what I did, but I got it to work eventually. "yuppicide" <yuppicide138@optonline.net> wrote in message news:OQIrvkc9KHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I have a column in Excel 2007 as such > > Virginia Beach, VA 23464 > Glen Allen, VA 23059 > etc etc ...

Smart List Column Width
Is there any way to increase the column width in smart list? Our item descriptions are being cuttoff Yes, click on the column header field and drag it larger. However there isn't a way built in that will remember that size so you would have to do it every time. patrick mbs dev support -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Vincent" <Vincent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFAD23C5-F28C-4976-8A43-45DAE0831583@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to increase the column width in smart list? Our it...

Create a way to merge to multiple entries per page in Publisher i.
When merging in Publisher, I can print 4 postcards per page with merged addresses ONLY from the preview. When I merge it creates 4 copies of the same postcard, meaning 4 of the same address, to a page. It doesn't ask me if I want four from the same entry on each page. My only option appears to be to print ONE postcard per page, but that is wasteful when I should be able to put four on a page. If I tell Publisher to do one to a page then my printer to do four to a page, it prints mini versions complete with crop marks and adds a gutter I don't want around all of them. Now I ...

default virtual smtp server entry
Exchange 2003 sp2 - one of our exchange servers was removed from the admin group (after the guy configured all kinds of routing). It appears the uninstall went ok, but in the queues container of the remaining server there is now a default virtual smtp server entry that is all numbers and letters - is there a way to clean that out or should it just be left alone. It wasn't there before. Nancy Stevens nstevens@tycoint.com Here is a great article that should help you with what you need to do to completely remove an Exchange server from AD. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Rem...

Date Entry in Excel 2000
Hi All, We recently upgraded to 2003 and one of our users says she was able to enter a date such as 10/24/04 in Excel 2000 as 102404 when she had the cell formatted as a date. I haven't been able to reproduce it on a 2000 machine nor does it make sense to me that it would work given that a date in Excel has a numeric value which is unrelated to the digits in the date. Is she mistaken or is there a setting I don't know about which allows this? Thanks Erin She's most probably mistaken. That behavior isn't native to XL. It's possible to do this with event macros...

Changing Font Size of Row & Column Headers
Hi all, Could someone please share with me how to change the appearance of the font used for the row & column headers in Excel 2000 worksheets. (Please note I am not referring to cells within a worksheet). Thanks in advance. Jim Jim The font on row and column headers is controlled from Tools>Options>General>Standard Font>Size. You will be asked to re-start Excel for changes to take effect. Note: changes made here will be for new workbooks only. Workbooks saved already will retain the original settings. Gord Dibben Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002 On Fri, 18 Jul ...

reversing entry
Hello, I am a teacher and many times I receive names of students in excel files for example as John Doe. I would like to know if anyone knows of a way to convert the name to Doe, John in an easy step so the name can be alphabetized. If you know please let me know at american @ pressenter . com Thanks One way (assuming only 2 names): =MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,255) & ", " & LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1) In article <60ff037be7cc5@uwe>, "american" <u22419@uwe> wrote: > Hello, > > I am a teacher and many times I receive names o...

Two columns per location
I've got 4 locations (Edinburgh, Birmingham, London, Manchester) and information that I want to show for each location however I want to do a chart where each location has two bars of information. The first bar will be made up of information in two columns relating to two different types of customer and the second bar will be made up of two further columns which record information that adds up to a total. The chart is to show two customer groups appointment which they've used this year and then what they could have taken (i.e. free/unbooked appointments plus ones which they c...

Longest Entry in Columns
Hi. What is the best / quickest way to find the longest entry (most characters / numbers, etc.) in a column? Thanks. Hi! This array formula entered with the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER will tell you how long the longest entry is in a range of cells: =MAX(LEN(A1:A100)) If you want to identify that entry, you could use conditional formatting: Select the range A1:A100 Goto Format>Conditional Formatting Formula is: =LEN(A1)=MAX(LEN(A$1:A$100)) Click the Format button and select a background fill color OK out Biff >-----Original Message----- >Hi. What is the best / quickest...

Mirroring entries from one sheet to another
Is there a way to mirror what happens to the entries in columnA of sheet1 to columnA on sheet2 I've been able to get the value over to sheet2 with no problem and if I change it then that change is also reflected on sheet2 What I can't do is to insert a new row on sheet1 and have that insertion reflected in sheet2. I am using Excel 2000 SP1 on a Windows 2000 workstation. Thanks Group your sheets, then insert the row. Good Luck! >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to mirror what happens to the entries in columnA of >sheet1 to columnA on sheet2 >I've been able ...

selecting last entry
I have several cells reading data from a single cell - the last one in a column - the value of which keeps changing as data is added. How do I ensure that the several cells read only from the last entry in the column, and not from older obsolete entries? This will get you the last value in a column =INDEX(A:A,MAX(MATCH({"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ",9.99999999999999E+307},A:A))) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "dihirod" <dihirod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A32BD898-F037-4E12-94B9-0E29E94F3193@microsoft.com.....

Columns (not the kind in a table)
Does anyone know how to create columns like those in MS Word? The columns in Word are in the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup section. I would really like to create columns in OneNote without having to use a table. Thanks! dinny wrote: > Does anyone know how to create columns like those in MS Word? > The columns in Word are in the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup > section. > > I would really like to create columns in OneNote without having to > use a table. ON is good for at least 1001 things. But its*not* a fully fledged wordprocessor. It does not h...

repeat entry from previous column
Is there a function key that will repeat the value entered in the previous column similar to access with out having to copy down? I think the best advice I can give at this point is for you to look at the Excel Help topic "Fill data in worksheet cells". There are several ways to fill large groups of cells and that topic shows several. "jdw" wrote: > Is there a function key that will repeat the value entered in the previous > column similar to access with out having to copy down? ...

Event 9327
I have just installed two new Exchange 2003 servers in Mixed mode with two old Exchange 5.5 boxes. I'm having two problems that I think are related. I have a user who gets the following message in his Inbox: 13:34:36 Synchronizer Version 11.0.5604 13:34:37 Synchronizing Mailbox 'Kuyper, Steve (ESC)' 13:34:37 Done 13:34:37 Microsoft Exchange offline address book 13:34:37 0X8004010F On my server, I get the following: Event ID: 9327 Description: OALGen skipped some entries in the offline address list '\Global Address List'. To see which entries are affected, event lo...