Linking workbooks in Excel

I'm trying to link two workbooks. The information I enter in the first
workbook is the master copy and I would like this same information to be
updated in the second workbook. I use the second workbook as the updated
status which I send to clients. I usually create two workbooks and then enter
the information twice, once in the master workbook and again in the client's
copy - tedious and incorrect, I'm sure.
Thank you for your help.
0
Anton (24)

Just some thoughts .. if the 2 books were identical (probably not?),
just send over a copy* of your master would satisfy ?

*say, a frozen copy w/o any formulas but with all formatting intact. In the
copy, we could kill all formulas in all sheets at one go using sheet
grouping, and then doing an "in-place", entire sheet: Copy > Paste special >
Check "Values" > OK, taking care, of course, to immediately ungroup the
sheets thereafter.
--
Rgds
Max
"Anton" <Anton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to link two workbooks. The information I enter in the first
> workbook is the master copy and I would like this same information to be
> updated in the second workbook. I use the second workbook as the updated
> status which I send to clients. I usually create two workbooks and then
enter
> the information twice, once in the master workbook and again in the
client's
> copy - tedious and incorrect, I'm sure.
> Thank you for your help.

0
demechanik (4694)

Excel File Restore ??
Hi Folks, I have been a complete plank (and feel free to call me such), I made some changes to an Excel spreadsheet I have saved on my PC and accidently clicked on "SAVE". Is there a facility where I can roll back to the sheet in it's previous state as you can do with System Restore in Windows ???? PLEASE HELP as I don't want to have to start all over again - just heading off to hide in shame.......... Thanks Wayne Do you have a backup? Have you shared it with others (maybe via email--so an earlier copy would be in your sent folder) or ask a recipient to send it back...

excel syntax
Hi All, I am trying the following in vbscript... I keep having trouble with zoom and pagebreaks- what am I doing wrong- or what should i be doing? Dim xlapp Dim objWorkBook DIM XLWB Set xlapp = CreateObject("EXCEL.APPLICATION") Set objWorkBook = xlapp.Workbooks.Open("C:\test22.xls") Const xlLandScape = 2 xlapp.ActiveSheet.PageSetup.Orientation = xlLandScape xlapp.ActiveSheet.PageSetup.FitToPagesWide = 1 xlapp.ActiveSheet.PageSetup.FitToPagesTall = 99 xlapp.ActiveSheet.ResetAllPageBreaks 'xlapp.ActiveSheet.Zoom = False ActiveSheet.HPageBreaks(1).Locatio...

Imort Excel File
I want to import 12000 rows of products with prices into rms. I have used the QSIimport utility in the past for fewer products. The problem I have is the description for the products has characters more than 28 which truncates the description. I would like for part of the description to be moved to extended description. Apologies if this is an excel question rather than RMS. I am just trying to import products with their entire description into RMS. Previously I had to manually move the description into extended description, but I can't spend 2 days doing that for 12000 products. A...

Exporting chart from Excel to Word
Hi, I want to copy/paste a graph from Excel to Word. The only problem is that the file is too big, because each graph has 775 kb. How can I export just the graph, without the link to the document and all the information of the graph. I just want to have the "picture" not all the other stuff. Thank you for your help! Mike Middleton wrote: > Heidi - > >> I want to copy/paste a graph from Excel to Word. The only problem is >> that > the file is too big, because each graph has 775 kb. How can I export > just the graph, without the link to the document and all ...

My headers in Excel don't adjust with margin changes.
When changing default margins in Excel, the headers on the page don't adjust. Is it possible to have them follow the page size once my margins are adjusted? AB There is no way. They are stuck at about 3/4" Work-around is to "pad" the headers with spaces. You can move them inwards this way, but not outwards. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:49:04 -0800, "ABMIS" <ABMIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When changing default margins in Excel, the headers on the page don't adjust. > Is it possible to have them follow the page ...

Unhide multiple worksheets in workbook
Hi...I have Excel 2003. Is there a way to unhide multiple worksheets in a workbook vs. unhiding one at a time? a looping macro -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Maureen D." <MaureenD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FFCDB6D9-4AB3-44DF-A269-2561289038FC@microsoft.com... > Hi...I have Excel 2003. Is there a way to unhide multiple worksheets in a > workbook vs. unhiding one at a time? Sub unhide() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets If ws.Visible = xlHidden Then ws.V...

Setting tab colours on Excel spreadsheets (for Excel 2000)
I've received a file from a colleague who's using Excel 2003. She has set colours on the tabs of each sheet in the file. However, I'm using Excel 2000 and I cannot see any of the tab colours. Any awesome tips to solve this problem (other than installing Excel 2003)? Thanks! Not available in 2000, came in with XP(2002). -- HTH Bob Phillips "S" <S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:049E3593-1088-4E36-9A0E-978DF3989418@microsoft.com... > I've received a file from a colleague who's using Excel 2003. She has set > colours on th...

link a popup form to edit selected record
Hello All, I am usiing Access 2007 and I have a form that contains three subforms that are used to review data. Specifically, the first subform (fsubData_List) is a list of all the records in the datasource. The second subform (fsubData_search) contains an edit button and is going to be used to search and filter from the entire dataset. The third subform (fsubData_detail) is used to list all of the detailed information for the record selected in the first subform. This is done via a hidden field call txtRelay which is used to store the unique ID for the selected record. This all ...

How to get current running Excel application object
I am using VC to do some operation with excel. I want to get the _Application object from current running Excel process. I searched for a long time. All the source code is to using CreateDispatch to create the _Application object, thus each time there will be a new EXCEL.exe process in the task manager. Any one know how to get and use the exist object from an openning Excel applaction by VC ? in VB, they have the GetObject function, and it seems very easy to meet my requirement. Do we have such function in VC? Waiting for you reply. thanks. Finally I got the solution. We need to use the basi...

$ 500 (Dollar Five Hundred) how do i set up in excell
I want to set up a formula in excell to display the numiric value in words value I've previously used this with success http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ValueToWords.htm "asghar" wrote: > I want to set up a formula in excell to display the numiric value in words > value > See http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- --- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "asghar" <asghar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1C31F36-06B5-4F03-993D-8DF83FFBB580@microsoft.com... >I want t...

How to protect a shared excel document from deletion
we have an excel sheet that the shop floor updates during the day, however, we have some problems with it being deleted by accident. Is there a way that we can let all the users update the shared sheet, but not allow them the option of deletein g the whole sheet!! We know that it is not done on purpose, but sometimes the fingers walk without the brain knowing what is going on, or the other way around. Thanks SteveA I don't think so. Keep good backups! SteveA wrote: > > we have an excel sheet that the shop floor updates during the day, however, > we have some problems ...

Linking Between Workbooks
Hi, Excel hasn't been preserving my linkage between workbooks. Any idea why this is the case? For example: I open a July Returns Analysis workbook and save it as August Returns Analysis. I then update all the workbooks that the August workbook will be linked to. I go to Edit, Links, Update Now for each link, then I save the file. Sometimes, after the workbook has been open for a while the numbers revert back to what they were before I went through the link update process (i.e. they revert back to July's numbers). I noticed that this occurs specifically when I open July&...

Linking 2 subreports to main
I have a SQL 2008 main report that prints checks and is based on a stored proc and it works fine by itself. I have subreports that I want to add to this main report but I cannot figure out how to "link" them. I was able to drag the subreport from my solution in VS 2008 and place it on the main report but when I preview it it does not print. What do I use to dynamically link a field value on the main report with a field value on the subreport? The parameters for the main report are checknumber start and stop but I want to link the subreport on the CheckID which will ...

Need help with strange Excel behavior
Hi everyone, A workbook that I put together started behaving strange. some of the sheets have cells that have formulae that link them to different sheets (but within the same workbook). I found that some (maybe all, not sure) of the cells that refered to other cells were not showing the updated data. For example I had updated some cells with new numbers. The cells that were refering to this newly updated cells were still showing the previous numbers !! But if I clicked in the formula bar of these cells and without changing the formula, hit enter, it now suddenly "reads" the...

Refresh ODBC link
I have a link set up to pull information from our system directly to an Access table. Our systems department has added a couple of new fields to the table but it doesn't automatically update my Access table. Is there a way to refresh the table to get these new fields, or do I have to set up a new table? Thanks. Go to the linked table manager (Tools/Database Utilities), open and select your table, then refresh the link. Milton Purdy ACCESS State of Arkansas "nitengale" wrote: > I have a link set up to pull information from our system directly to a...

conditional counting of values in Excel 2003
Hi everybody I'm trying to make a statistical analisys of the answers to a questionnaire like this: 1. Where are you from? (US) (IT) (DE) 2. Look at this picture. How much do you agree with each of the following statements (1=totally disagree, ..., 4=totally agree) ? 2.a) It's funny (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) ... 2.z) It's obscene (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) Answers have been collected like this (in columns, starting from B): | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | ----|------------+----+----+----+----+----+----+ 1 |Nationality | US | US | IT | US | IT | DE | ----+--------...

Linked Servers and MemToLeave (VAS)
Hi, I know that the SQL Native Client linked server provider is an in_process provider and will use MemToLeave space. Is it the linked servers going out from the server or the linked servers coming in or both that affects MemToLeave? We still run 32_bit SQL2005 and we getting more requests for linked servers using the SQL Native Client provider. I just want to know when I have to worry about MemToLeave as we also have CLR and 3rd party products (Red Gate SQLBackup) that run in the same space. Thanks Chris VDI based backup products such as SQL Backup and others use i...

Excell to ASCii
I need to export an excell ss to an ascii file or if this can not be done to a Database file. ...

excel if, then...problem
Is it possible to have a cell's color changed depending on another cells value? For example... We keep track of shipments coming in that are 1) either for customers or "STOCK" 2) a certain amount of cubic footage. This is what I'm inquiring... Let's say that the cubic footage is anything over 20 could the corresponding cell with the "Company's name" be changed to blue And, if the customer is anything other than "STOCK" could it be changed to yellow? Attached is a copy of the form that we use....however we color the cells ourselves. I'm jus...

losing rows when sorting in excel
I use a particular spread sheet month after month by copying it and then changing certain items and resorting it but time after time I have noticed that I am missing rows each month. I am not hiding them so that's not the problem. The rows (and it's random from one month to the other) just seem to disappear. I don't know that they are gone until I realize that the customer know longer exists (if they call me and ask me to look up something on their account that month). So, it's a real problem because I never realize they are gone unless I need to do something spec...

Brain Teaser in Excel
someone sent me this problem to be solved in excel, can anyone help? if you have 5 partners (A&1, B&2, C&3, D&4 and E&5) in how many ways can the couples be arranged so that no partners are together (i.e. you couldn't have A with 1 or B with 2 etc...)? presume A, B, C, D and E are all males and 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 are all females therefore, only males and females may couple up and A cannot go with 1, B cannot go with 2, C cannot go with 3, D cannot go with 4 and E cannot go with 5, how many combos? thanks in advance Johnnie On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:48:43 -0700, &...

Windows Update

Query refresh message on Excel
I mistakenly clicked the checkbox when opening my Excel file that read "Enable automatic query refresh for all workbooks and do not show this warning again". How can I get this specific message back again? I need to have the ability to choose whether the queries are refreshed or not at the time the file is opened. Can someone help? ...

Importing Excel Spreasheets into Publisher 2002
When I try to edit my excel spreadsheet imported into Publisher 2002 I keep getting the following error message even though I have plenty of memory - The instruction at "0x77f580db" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written". What I do is publish a catalog with pictures, clip art, etc, and I use the excel spreadsheet to enter customers pricing which is used for the formulas to calculate gross profits and other things. This error is indicative of a driver failure, either a video driver or printer driver. Publisher is more critical ...

[ann] chexcel -- embedding C/C++ interpreter ch into excel released
Hello, SoftIntegration released free ChExcel Toolkit 1.0. Ch is an embeddable C/C++ interpreter for scripting, 2D/3D plotting, numerical computing, and embedded scripting. ChExcel is a Microsoft Excel add-in. It embeds Ch (a C/C++ Interpreter) into Excel. ChExcel allows users to access C statements, functions, programs, toolkits, and packages from Excel spreadsheets and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). With ChExcel, Excel spreadsheets can be manipulated through C/C++ scripts. The data can be easily exchanged between Ch and Excel. ChExcel Toolkit is a freeware that you can downloa...