Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolute c.

I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another
worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted
to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather
than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep
getting the #REF and #NAME errors.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.
0
G1 (145)

Name the actual cell and then reference the cell's name.

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9848

Marc G wrote:
> I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another
> worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted
> to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather
> than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep
> getting the #REF and #NAME errors.
>
> Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> Thanks.
Well, let's first be sure of the facts. You refer to referencing a cell
by "its row and column label (e.g. 'Jan Sales')". I take it that in fact
Jan is not a row label but is a column label? And that you have an
unchanging number of columns, one for each of the 12 months?

Assuming that is so, consider a table with 3 rows, Sales, Costs and
PreTaxIncome in A1:M4 a sheet named Sheet1. Highlight A1:M4, click on
Insert|Name|Create, check Top row and Left Column, click OK. Now in a
cell on Sheet2 enter =Sheet1!Jan Sales for the value at the intersection
(and if you don't duplicate the row and column labels on any other sheet
you can omit the Sheet1! and simply use, e.g., =Jan Sales).

Then you can recreate the row and column labels each time a row is added

Alan Beban
0
unavailable (273)

Cardholder name capture
It seems that Citbank want us to be able to provide cardholder names when they do a chargeback investigation. Wouldn't it be a good idea if RMS captured all the information Citibank would want and there was a report to retrieve it? Larry ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&quo...

Change link between form and subform

Office 2010
I am just starting Office 2010 Beta and workbooks are a crappy gray --how to change? Try posting to the Office 2010 forums: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/office2010 -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit. "JohnBee" <JohnBee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A98B3E10-6538-48F7-9CF1-0089F1C10CBB@microsoft.com... > I am just starting Office 2010 Beta and workbooks are a crappy gray --how > to > change? ...

Outlook 2003 name resolution
I have had a few people ask why one day all of a sudden, when they type in the first few characters, the auto name resolution just stopped responding. They type the first few letters, and usually the drop down appears with option, but now it doesnt. Any ideas? We are using OL2003 w. SP1 on WinXP boxes.... Thanks in advance.... Chris Chris <chrishoche@odysseylogistics.com> wrote: > I have had a few people ask why one day all of a sudden, when they > type in the first few characters, the auto name resolution just > stopped responding. > > They type the first few l...

linking #4

copying a sorted worksheet to another woksheet.
I am trying to to do data entry for an accounting journal, and I want t have the seperate sheets copy their respective information as the dat is entered. For example, if I enter a Cash transaction on the entr page, I want the cash worksheet page to copy that information as well. I can do it with an if statment already, but that leaves blank spaces i the cash sheet if you have blanks in the entry page -- e_shoopma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- e_shoopman's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=457 View this thread: http://www.office...

Format Cell as True/False
OK. It's been a while but I could've sworn that I once was able to format a cell as a yes/no so that it appeared as a checkbox in the spreadsheet. Is this possible or have I confused it with another application. ~Lori Sounds like you are remembering Access database tables. Lori wrote: > OK. It's been a while but I could've sworn that I once was able to format a > cell as a yes/no so that it appeared as a checkbox in the spreadsheet. > > Is this possible or have I confused it with another application. > > ~Lori This is a multi-part message in MIME ...

how do i copy a chart to another workbook
I just upgraded to Office 2007. In 2003 I was able to select move or copy on a chart and select copy and select another workbook, and copy the chart to that workbook. It doesn't work in 2007. What do I do? ...

Running total from an edited cell
I want to keep a running total of inventory as follows: On Hand This Shipment Quan Updated Part # 1 10 5 update this column on each new shipment Part # 2 15 10 Part # 3 20 30 I will not be adding lines, just updating the "this shipment" cell for each part# I am using Excel 2007 Please help ! See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html In article <9104B5C3-CD46-460E-A939-C2B1EA736D42@microsoft.com>, MacPack2 <MacPack2@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Linked Forms

profile name in 1st account?
I have 3 accounts running in Outlook. The first account is named "MS Exchange Settings", the next two are named as I entered them. On the first I entered a custom name but it always shows up as MS Exchange Setting. Is there a way to have the 1st account reflect the custom name that I enter? Any tips appreciated. Computers <JNorm@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have 3 accounts running in Outlook. The first account is named "MS > Exchange Settings", the next two are named as I entered them. > > On the first I entered a custom name but it always shows up a...

Links not linking

Text on cart based on data in a cell
I have a chart on a separate sheet witch is based on a filtered list on another sheet. I would like to label my chart to show witch filter as been applied, is this possible? (Ho, and if so, how would I do it?) Thanks for any help. Select the chart, press the equal key, then select the cell with a mouse. This adds a text box in the middle of the chart, which you can move around and format as needed. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Ant wrote: > I have a chart on a separate s...

Excel 2003- Tabbing to a specific location in a cell
I have created a template and I want to be able to fill in parts of the template by just tabbing and the cursor to move to the next cell...and to a specific area in the cell...how do i set up my template to do this? THanks so much unlock the cells you want to tab to. leave the other cells protected. then protected the sheet. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "monty the magician" <monty the magician@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FD3728D8-E730-407E-B58A-FED2C6D9EA8A@microsoft.com... >I have created a template and I want to be able to f...

How to show Customer Name on MY Credit Card Receipt?
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows how to print Customer Name on the Store's copy of the Credit Card transaction receipt. Basically 2 receipts are printed - one for customer and one that customer signs and gives back to us. The one that customer keeps always has the customer's name on it. However, our own copy has an unclear signature but not the customer's name and this makes it difficult to audit and match customers to their receipts at the end of the day (we do this to keep track of things which is helpful to us). How can we amend the receipt to print customer name on...

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Cell grouping
Hello, This is the problem. I have 5 columns that are in this order, Date Req.#, Requestor, Dept. and notes. I need to know how to arrange th entire row where the departments are grouped together with th corresponding information. The dates are not important as this repor is quarterly; I know how to sort a column by itself but not the entir page. Thanks -- jackel JLatham Wrote: > I should add that usually Excel is smart enough to know that when you > grab > one column of information to sort, and it is contiguous with other > columns > with data in them, to grab them a...

Link To A Cell From Chart

Colour cells in Task pane.
Much like one can do in Ms Excel, I would like to colour the cells, as in the Task Panes. Is this possible? If so how? Highlight the cells you want to ad color to in your table then click on the little bucket at the top "Volcanic" wrote: > Much like one can do in Ms Excel, I would like to colour the cells, as in the > Task Panes. Is this possible? If so how? > ...

can I display the file name of the imported text file in another c
When I refresh data and select a file I would like that file name displayed in another cell because within the file name is a date & time stamp relating to the contents. For example if the imported filename is count_200505110035.csv then I want a cell in the worksheet to display count_200505110035.csv. Any ideas welcomed please? ...

moving data from one db to another
I have a pretty general question about what might be the best way to handle this. I need to write a watcher program to export flagged rows in an MSSQL 2005 db out to a MySQL db. After each row is copied, I need to reset the flag in the source. I'm wondering if anyone could tell me what the best process for this would be. Looping through all the rows in the source one at a time and then posting them one at a time seems like the wrong way to go. There's a lot of vb.net that I don't know so I'm thinking there might be a better, simpler way to do this. Initially there...

links

Linked Tables Over A LAN

Links

Find cells that contain text
Hi, as part of a loop I am trying to find cells that contain a string and then copy some adjacent cells into another sheet. I can do the copy part no problem but I am struggling with finding the string, I am using the InStr command but not sure if I ma making this to complicated, this is code I am struggling with : If InStr(string, Cells(bb, 65)) = 1 Then With string being the string I am searching for and bb being the row number and part of the loop The formula will recognise a complete string, but not part of string i.e. String = abcd_ Cell contains abcd_ match and I ca...