letter to number formulas

hi,

I'm having trouble finding a way to formulate a cell so when
colleague enters a Letter a specifiic cell would display a number valu
relating to that letter.

For example is the Letter M = 5, then when a colleague enters a M i
say A1, a number 5 would automatical be added to A2

I hope I'm clear enough!!!

Cheer

--
wildoma
wildomac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1681

Hi
as a starting point have a look at VLOOKUP together with a lookup
table:

Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"wildomac" <wildomac.1g8ebg@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:wildomac.1g8ebg@excelforum-nospam.com...

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16815
> View this thread:

frank.kabel (11126)
11/24/2004 3:32:52 PM
Where can i find the value off de letters  where do you write that for M
the value must be 5? Is it in a table or in rows or colums?

wildomac wrote:
> hi,
>
> I'm having trouble finding a way to formulate a cell so when a
> colleague enters a Letter a specifiic cell would display a number value
> relating to that letter.
>
> For example is the Letter M = 5, then when a colleague enters a M in
> say A1, a number 5 would automatical be added to A2
>
> I hope I'm clear enough!!!
>
> Cheers

0
fa273113 (12)
11/24/2004 3:36:14 PM
Another possibility, if the corresonding numbers are sequential, is to use
the Code function -- this will convert a letter to its ASCII value which you
could then adjust.

          Art
0
Art1645 (139)
11/24/2004 3:41:16 PM
Thanks for the replies guy, I think the Vlookup is the one I'm lookin
for.   I'll try them out tonight and see.

thanks agai

--
wildoma
wildomac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1681
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=32012

Petrus

Basic example.

Letters in column A

Coresponding numbers in column B

In column C at C1 enter  =VLOOKUP(D1,A1:B26,2,False)

When enter a letter in D1, a number will appear in C1

For refinements, you can have the letters and numbers columns on another
sheet.

You can name that list and use the name instead of the A1:B26

You could have a Data Validation drop-down in D1 for selecting the letter.

For more on VLOOKUP and Data Validation see Debra Dalgelish's site.

DV....... http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal01.html

VL....... http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:36:14 +0100, Petrus Van den Cruyce <fa273113@skynet.be>
wrote:

>Where can i find the value off de letters  where do you write that for M
>the value must be 5? Is it in a table or in rows or colums?
>

>wildomac wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> I'm having trouble finding a way to formulate a cell so when a
>> colleague enters a Letter a specifiic cell would display a number value
>> relating to that letter.
>>
>> For example is the Letter M = 5, then when a colleague enters a M in
>> say A1, a number 5 would automatical be added to A2
>>
>> I hope I'm clear enough!!!
>>
>> Cheers

0
Gord

zeros are being added to my numbers
Hi when i type a number into a cell ie 6 when i leave the cell a zero is automatically added. I dont want this zero to be added -- des In front or at the end? Check: a. Tools|Options|Edit tab, uncheck Fixed Decimal b. Format the cell as General -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "des" <alberyds@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:564346C5-2851-4B9B-A616-D4305AECD360@microsoft.com... | Hi when i type a number into a cell ie 6 when i leave the cell a zero is | automatically added. I dont want this zero to be added | -- | des Hi Niek Otten your fix ...

Collection Letter
Hi there, for example I build a query 31-45 and it display the aging period as follow: 0-30 days = $1,975 31-45 days = $375 46-60 days = $0 61-75 days = $2,250 76-90 days = $0 91-120 days = $0 When I build the collection letter, and view it, it displayed the overdue balance of $4,600 (which is the total of all the balance). How can I change it so that it display only the overdue balance within the 31-45 days bucket? Thank you in advance. ...

How to create a formula that results in a blank cell if required
I have a spreadsheet that is to be populated during the course of the year. I have a column which totals the number of days worked on a particular task and have copied the formula down the sheet for the number of entries required. Obviously, as the sheet is currently unpopulated, I do not want a whole load of zeroes listed in this column when the other cells in the sheet (which are used in the calculation) are currently empty. ie) what I have is (as a simple example) A B C ------------------------------- Hours Total Hrs Total Days 37 37 5 ...

numbering rows
i need to number my rows in a seperate column to count my inventory, but when i filter my coulmns and do a custom filter my number column filters along with the others even if the number column is not filtered??????????????? If I understand your question you want to see the visible rows numbered in sequence? If so assume your data is in column A with titles on row 1, in the column you want the row numbers to appear (say column B for this example), enter the following formula in cell B2: =SUBTOTAL(3,A$2:A2) Copy this formula down. -- Cheers, Shane Devenshire "olga" wrote...

Automatic Calculation of Table Formulas
Is there a way to set Word so that a target cell automatically re-calculates whenver any of the cells used in the formula is changes? Only if the components of the formula are provided from the results of form fields in a protected form and you have the calculate on exit check box properties of the fields checked. Otherwise you would have to force an update of the fields in the calculation. You can do that with a macro, such as that used as an example at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm Alternatively you can insert an Excel table and have the full panoply of Excel fu...

Only ID numbers are printing
I have Access 2007. I have two tables Contact List and Asset List. I am trying to print two reports. I want to print the owner and the companies they lease to from the Asset List. Also from the Contact List I would like to list the Companies and their Lessors. When I try to do the asset list one it only gives me id numbers. What am I doing wrong? -- helpme This is a typical issue when you use lookup fields in tables. My advice is: don't use them. Your report's record source must contain the field that actually stores the value you would like to display in the r...

Serial Number Modifier/Changer Tool
Does anyone know of the name of the company that offers a tool to change serial numbers that have already been entered into Great Plains? thanks If you're interested we can work with you to develop a custom app to do what you need. You can get in touch with me at elmer.tagarino@gisimplement.com "wisk" <wisk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2E694B7-318D-4047-A69C-D1FA27F3012F@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know of the name of the company that offers a tool to change > serial numbers that have already been entered into Great Plains? > > tha...

Formulas Inactive
Gord Thanks loads, I've spent two days trying to correct this problem. The only difficulty I had with your advise was the location of the Calculation menu. On my version of Word X for the Mac it is located in Preferences. I am now a Happy Campe Pete S. ...

Letter Writing Assistant should let me email the letters.
When sending out letters to Customers etc. it would be much more cost effective if we were able to email the letters in lieu of mailing them. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us...

Column labels show digits instead of letter
Can anyone pls tell me why ? And how to fix this. Thanks Jenni Hi goto 'Tools - Options - General' and uncheck 'R1C1 reference style' >-----Original Message----- >Can anyone pls tell me why ? >And how to fix this. > >Thanks >Jenni > > >. > ...

Next Check Number
Is there any way to set the number used for Next Check Number in a bank account register. My problem is that I use one checkbook at home and my wife and I each carry checkbooks. The checkbook at home, which I use most frequently, happens to have the lowest check numbers. As soon as I entered a check from one of the other books, Next Check Number keeps using that (the highest number so far) as the basis for Next Check Number and I have to manually enter almost all of my check numbers. (I recently switched from Quicken where the corresponding function always used the most recently en...

day of the week and date formula
Hello I am looking to write a formula that gives me the difference in hours between a logged date and time and a closed date and time eg -27/11/2009 09:23:26 and 30/11/2009 10:34:20. Once I have this I need to calculate the working hours used to resolve the issue. If the duration of the time includes a weekend, a saturday would equate to 4 hours working and a sunday would be 0 hours working time, a week day equates to 11.5 hours working. Any suggestions?? Thanks -- Sarah Hi, we need to know what hours during any day are considered working - ie, do all hours...

Excell devision formula
I want to find the average spend per customer starting with a cell containing a sum of money & devide-ing that sum by the number of customers. Typically 5000 devided by 25 = 200 Hi you may provide some more details HOW your data is currently structured (e.g. post some example data rows in plain text - no attachments please) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Dizzy Des wrote: > I want to find the average spend per customer starting with a cell > containing a sum of money & devide-ing that sum by the number of > customers. > Typically 5000 devided by 25 = 200 =S...

UPC Numbers
I was wondering if anyonr new how to determin if a 11 digit upc number needs to be turned into a 14 digit number. I receive a EDI file from our distributor with 11 digit upc numbers and i no how to caculate the check digit but having no luck trying to detemin if upc number needs to be 14 digits. Example I know this number 03330071814 needs to be 14 digits cause 00033300718146 is whats on the product. Can someone maybe shed some light. You must have a list of the 14 digit numbers somewhere in order to cross-check. Where would that list be located? Gord Dibben MS Excel ...

Number starting with zero
I have a column in a table where I need to enter phone numbers in. I want them formatted the same no matter how people enter them - two digits for area code, then space, then four digits, space, four digits. The area code will always start with zero. I have tried to enter a custom format as ## #### #### and even tried putting brackets around the first two ## however it always drops the zero. How can I fix this? Thanks Kathryn "twinkle17" <twinkle17@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2017285A-C7D5-4A9F-8C0D-0E041503BAA7@microsoft.com... >I have a c...

Automatic Quote Numbering
Hello, I am looking to develop a sales quote template that automaticall updates each time I open the file and create a new quote by INCREASIN the quote number by 1. For example, if the last quote I wrote is #233 the next time I open the file, it should be #234 automatically, and th next time #235 etc. Can I do this is Word or Excel? If so, can you please clearly explai how? Thanks -- Ron ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Roni's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=283 View this thread: http://www.msusenet.com/t-187057425 Hi, Roni....

number to name
I want to do my schedule with Excell, and I was wondering if it's possible to type a number and get a name instead... for example if on the 3rd of february, Mark is working, and that I associate the number 1 to Mark. is there a way that if I type "1" under the 3rd of february, that converts it directly to Mark? thanks Gaetan Bart, Using event code you can do it Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range("B2:H10")) Is Nothing Then With Target ...

How do i convert numbers into text automatically in Excel?
I want to convert numbers into text i.e. 989 into "nine hundred and eighty nine" Is there a way to do in excel? Hi see: http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany dsmki wrote: > I want to convert numbers into text i.e. > > 989 into "nine hundred and eighty nine" > > Is there a way to do in excel? See http://www.barasch.com/excel/cCo11432.htm or http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/ValueToWords.htm or http://asia.cnet.com/enterprise/apps/0,39035809,39191000,00 ..htm or search at google with words "...

How do I stop bullet letter (a, b, c) from turning greek?
When I create a document in which I have used letters for bulletted lists (ie, a), b), c) etc), when I print or reopen it, the letters have changed to Greek characters alpha, beta etc. How can I stop this from happening? Thanks very much. Wow, I cannot duplicate this in any version of Publisher. Maybe you are using a different type font. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "allythegeek" <allythegeek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3FD4415-6A6E-4EA1-97BD-0FF22ADFBB5A@microsoft.com... &...

What file stores my letters
I am going to format my hard drive and I want to keep my letters. what extension do I need to copy and in what folder are they in. BTW, my address is book as well. Thank you, Berto Try search. Asked and answered about a hundred times a month "Berto" <Albertocarro@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1t3vd.94941$EZ.18536@okepread07... > I am going to format my hard drive and I want to keep my letters. what > extension do I need to copy and in what folder are they in. BTW, my address > is book as well. > > Thank you, > > Berto > > ...

Letter of Credits & Letter of Guarantee
Hello... Is there any module in Great Plains that handles Letter of Credits and Letter of Guarantee Thanks Tareq Not exactly. I suppose you could find a place in POP and SOP to store the L/C number. You could build fairly complicated applications using Extender. What is your requirement? HS "Tareq" <Tareq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A1043B4-516C-4F38-901A-F21612C53ED3@microsoft.com... > Hello... > Is there any module in Great Plains that handles Letter of Credits and > Letter of Guarantee > > Thanks > Tareq Hello HSalim... Th...

check number duplication
How does one get Money 2006 to flag duplication of check numbers and why doesn't the program flag such occurences? This is only an occassional problem but I have never found a way to get Money to warn me or to flag such an occurence. The only place I know of where it does that is in the Monthly Report. Which is a bit late! ;-) -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "bergrrt" <bergrrt@discussions.microsof...

Only do a formula if cell is occupied
I would only like excel to work out my formula if 2 cells are occupied, if they are not occupied i wanted the cell to be left blank. The problem occurs becuase if the cells are empty the formula gives a negative date answer and displays it as ########. thanks in advance. Robert ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Robert You'll have to enclose the formula in an IF statement. Try =IF(AND(firstcell <>"", secondcell<>""),f...

How do I set up invoice automatic numbering in excel?
Hi Tracy See this example http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Tracy" <Tracy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE06A732-FF63-4156-8423-DE5BCA381388@microsoft.com... > ...

Letter to a contact
In Outlook 2000, our office would like to select 1 contact from the address book and have info feed into a custom letter format (with our margins, indents, etc.) in Word, and then type the body text Is this automation possible? Thank you! ...