Joining/Merging Cells

I want to merge two cells into one and then, eliminate the 2d cell, e.g.,

Cell A             Cell B
Smith             James
Jones              Fred

CELL A now becomes
Smith, James
Jones, Fred

I know about =Ax&", "&Bx [where x is the row number]; however, I do NOT want to keep
column 2 after I complete the merger.  However, if after I merge, and obtain the result I want, I
don't know how to retain the result after I delete Column B.  So, "adding" effectively adding the
two columns together doesn't cut it.

Thanks!
0
anonymous (74722)

Ann

just select the merged data, Copy it and then Paste Special | Values back
over the top

Regards

Trevor

"Ann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to merge two cells into one and then, eliminate the 2d cell, e.g.,
>
> Cell A             Cell B
> Smith             James
> Jones              Fred
>
> CELL A now becomes
> Smith, James
> Jones, Fred
>
> I know about =Ax&", "&Bx [where x is the row number]; however, I do NOT
want to keep
> column 2 after I complete the merger.  However, if after I merge, and
obtain the result I want, I
> don't know how to retain the result after I delete Column B.  So, "adding"
effectively adding the
> two columns together doesn't cut it.
>
> Thanks!

0
Trevor9259 (673)
2/11/2004 10:23:01 PM
If you've used column C to merge the data, then copy column C, select
column A and choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values radio
button. Delete columns B & C

To automate the merge into column A, take a look here:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/mergedata.html

you can then delete column B.

In article <0350DADE-41CF-4EBE-95A5-7EE18BE96B40@microsoft.com>,
 Ann <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I want to merge two cells into one and then, eliminate the 2d cell, e.g.,
>
> Cell A             Cell B
> Smith             James
> Jones              Fred
>
> CELL A now becomes
> Smith, James
> Jones, Fred
>
> I know about =Ax&", "&Bx [where x is the row number]; however, I do NOT want
> to keep
> column 2 after I complete the merger.  However, if after I merge, and obtain
> the result I want, I
> don't know how to retain the result after I delete Column B.  So, "adding"
> effectively adding the
> two columns together doesn't cut it.
>
> Thanks!
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
2/11/2004 10:32:21 PM
Thank you ever so much!  I just knew that it could be done somehow but, the "how" was the question

0
anonymous (74722)

Want to find max in a range then return a name from a cell
The spreadsheet has 5 people each person has a list describing thei sales performance. Each has their highest sale, highest over cost sale etc. I have a table with a describtion highest sale, highest over cost sal etc. I want the cell beside each title to calcute who has the highest figur and place their name in this cell. :confused: I have a spreadsheet with lists containing highest sale highest average sale etc. What I want to do is create a formula tha will find the max value within a list please note these values ar spread out and do not run on the spreadsheet side by side or one aft...

The word "zero" appeared in a cell.
Using XL2003, I was entering numbers into cells using the numeric keypad. In one cell, I had meant to enter "3", then press "enter". I mistyped [no idea what keys i actually pressed], and the word "Zero" appeared in the cell. i am not sure what i typed, and have not been able to reproduce this effect. The cell is formatted Arial Narrow. i looked in Autocorrect and saw no "Zero". I am simply curious if anyone knows what caused this. Thanks, Tonso > Using XL2003, I was entering numbers into cells using the > numeric keypad. In one cell, I had mean...

Doing joIn with REGEXP? (MySQL)
Hi Im working with MySQL. I have similar data in 2 different schemas Im trying to relate. This particular example relates to US states being stored differently in both systems. So, say I have the 2 tables as follows: STATE_1 ----------------- | ID | STATE | ----------------- | 1 | AL | | 2 | AK | | 3 | AS | ................. STATE_2 ------------ | STATE | ------------ | US-AL | | US-AS | | US-AK | ............ I want to get the STATE_1.ID value where the STATE fields are equal. Note that STATE_2.STATE values are the same as those in ...

Merging or Combining
Hi all, I am having some difficulty trying to combine two worksheets The worksheets have identical headings, but the data is different, I'l try to explain: worksheet 1 has data such as this: A B 1 1 1 3 1 5 2 1 2 3 3 1 3 3 3 5 worksheet 2 would have: A B 1 2 1 4 1 6 2 2 2 4 3 2 3 4 3 6 and so on. I need to get the data merged or combined into one worksheet so tha the odd and even ends...

copy graphs values in a cell
I am looking for a way to click on a specific data point of a graph and have the data related to that, copied in one or more cells..like click on point x1,y1 belonging to Graph1, and have the values of x1 and y1 copied in cells A1 and A2 in Sheet1 I guess I need a macro... You think it might be possible? ps sorry for my poor english Hi, Yes you will need VBA code. Have a look at Jon Peltier's article on chart events. http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=221 Cheers Andy bluepill wrote: > I am looking for a way to click on a specific data point of a graph and have &g...

better to filter on join or where clause
If you have something in your where clause that could be put in the inner join would it be better there? SELECT * FROM tableA a JOIN tableB b on b.key = a.key Where b.status <> 15 and b.status <> 20 or SELECT * FROM tableA a JOIN tableB b on b.key = a.key and b.status not in (15,20) Any difference? Thanks, Tom There is no difference when using inner join. The optimizer will generate the same execution plan. It is more a preference/style of writing queries. I prefer to place filters in WHERE and leave only join predicates in the ON clause: SELECT ...

mail merge problem: supported version of word is not installed...
when trying sending an email via mail merge, i'm getting the following error message: a supported version of microsoft word is not installed or the version cannot be obtained. outlook & word versions are: 2003 SP3. update rollup 2 server+client are installed. Any suggestions? ...

XML commands
Hi. I found a very helpfull hint to find formula-cells. The trick is to use the get.cell function. I would like to learn a little bit more about that function. What does 48 or 6 mean in get.cell(48;.... or get.cell(6;... I can't find documentations at the net ? Regards Peter Get.Cell(num, cell reference) is a function from XL4 to return information about the formatting, location or contents of a cell. 48... if cells contain a formula it returns True; if a constant it returns False. 6 ... returns the cell formula Peter Noneley has a free download at... http://homepage.ntlworld.com/no...

Return an empty cell
The following formula will return an empty value if the condition is true: =IF(SUM(C3:E3)=0,"",(C3+D3)/SUM(C3:E3)) My problem is that when I go to chart the data, the chart treats this entry as zero. I have the options set to leave gaps for empty cells, but it still treats this entry as zero instead of empty. Is there a way I can have my formula truly return an empty cell so it will not be plotted? Thank,s Mike. You could try: =IF(SUM(C3:E3)=0,na(),(C3+D3)/SUM(C3:E3)) Then use conditional formatting to hide that error (so it's prettier). Mike D. wrote: > > The...

IN EXCEL 2003 HOW DO i GET A CELL TO BE 4-0 INSTEAD OF APR00
I am setting up an inventory sheet and everytime I try to enter 4-0 under size it comes up APR 00 and when I do 5-0, I get May00. How do I change the column so it allows 4-0 or 0-0? Pre-format the cells as Text or preface the 4-0 with an apostrophe which won't be visible. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 16:34:02 -0800, TWMMAM <TWMMAM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am setting up an inventory sheet and everytime I try to enter 4-0 under >size it comes up APR 00 and when I do 5-0, I get May00. How do I change the >column so it allows 4-0 or 0-0? G...

Outlook Mail Merge STANDARD fields
Hi We are having a problem with producing a mailmerged quote document from the outlook client. I know that you cannot add any custom fields into a mailmerged word document, but I cannot seem to add the product line description into the document (the long, memo field). Steps, open a quote and choose file->Print Quote for Customer. Pick the installed quote template and open the document. When you go to 'add more fields' the product line description is not available. Any one any ideas as to why this standard field is not available to mail merge or any work around? Regards Peter...

Catalog merge for tel directory
I am trying to create a telephone directory for my church using the catalog merge feature in P2003. The data source is Excel. Is there a way to suppress any fields under a person's name that do not contain data? Thanks much. In the print dialogue there is a check-off, "Don't print lines that contain only empty fields." -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "ladyt" <user@domain.invalid> wrote in message news:O$p38yPWGHA.1220@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I am trying to create a telephone d...

Merge to Excel Template
Does anyone know of a way to merge one contact to a pre-defined Excel template? The user would: 1. lookup a particular contact 2. Click to merge the contact name, address, etc to an Excel template - the fields would not be left to right, filling one excel row - picture a letterhead in Excel. TIA, On May 10, 11:41=A0pm, Kevin Chieff <chi...@softskills.com> wrote: > Does anyone know of a way to merge one contact to a pre-defined Excel > template? > > The user would: > 1. lookup a particular contact > 2. Click to merge the contact name, address, etc to an Excel template...

joining domain
hi! Is it possible to have the users rejoin xp,win7 to win2003 AD with the computer object already exist in the AD? i know that this can be done through administrator group, but can this be done by the user without adding them into the domain admain grp or accoutn operator? what's the best practice and previlege that i shd give to the support team who only need to able to join the pc into the domain? Thanks. They have to be able to delete and add. If you are talking about doing this to one machine not a real big deal but if you want folks to do this all the time it c...

Cell value depends on Combobox selection
I'm trying to create a price list using combo boxes for the user t select the number of items for each product. For each product, the user has to choose the number of items via combo box. The combo box is being filled from cells K1:K6 (through th ListFillRange in the properties), the LinkedCell in order to hold th selection output is M1. The various prices are listed in cells L1:L6. What do I need to do in order to dynamically display the product pric in a specific cell depending on the selection from the combo box? Many thanks, Su -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com S...

Adding the date when another cell is set to Bet.
I'm trying to figure out a way to get today's date entereind into Cell D(whatever) when F (whatever) is set to Bet. I don't want to use the TODAY() funcution because I don't what the date in that cell to change when the book is closed then opened again. Thanks Steve One way is to use an event macro. When you change the value in column D to BET, have it put the date in column F. Rightclick on the worksheet tab that should have this happen and select View Code. Paste this in: Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Cells.Count ...

Setting a cell to not go below an X value, or above a Y value
Hey, This may be very easy to do, but I just don't have a clue, I've look a most excel variables and they just seem to choose MIN and MAX fro columns or tables. What I want to do is I've got the sum adding up say cells A2 and A3 i cell A4. I want cell A4 to never go below 80, or above 200. (Formula in cell A would be =SUM(A2:A3)) Anyone think they can help -- Snake ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Snakey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2785 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthre...

Multiple cell autocomplete
Anyone know if its possible to have multiple cells autocomplete like a single cell would if you were to type the same word or phrase in the cell. If it could work over mutliple cells by typing in a letter for example: COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 CAT IN THE HAT If i just typed in "C" in COL1 that COL2, COL3, COL4 Would autocomplete and type in IN THE HAT Using M$ Excel 2002 on Windows 2000 Pro Thanks! Z With all the cells in question selected, type as normal and when your autocomplete gives you the word you are looking for, hit CTRL+ENTER and it will enter that data in all the se...

Merging calendars
Can anyone suggest a way of copying an event in my personal calendar to a "public shared calendar". We use a public calendar as our Dept Calendar and we all use our personal calendars. I would like to eliminate the extra step of having to update both calendars. I dont want all personal items to go the dept calendar just the ones i designate (somehow). Jeanne Drag and drop the event from your personal calendar to the group calendar. If you use the right click and choose "copy" it should work fine. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep...

Mail Merge #6
I'm running Windows 2000 and Publisher 2000. I've created a postcard I want to mail out. I open the Mail Merge menu to merge it with my address file (an Excel file), but the Open Data Source option is not clickable. When I try Mail Merge on a brand new document it is clickable, and Mail Merge seems to work. What am I doing wrong? Unusual for it to not operate in one file like that. Perhaps that file has some corruption. I would suggest you download and install the latest MDAC Components www.microsoft.com/data and if that does not fix your problem, make a new file and copy and pas...

CRM Mail Merge Data Source
Does anyone know if there is a way to change the default data source when using mail merge from CRM? I have created mail merge documents in Word and saved them with the data source pointing to the SQL CRM Accounts database but when opening them in Word from CRM, I'm told that the fields are not found. In short, I can print company name and address but not a contact name as we are using "address1_primarycontactname". Also, is there a way to copy address info from the Accounts record to associated Contact records? Thanks. ...

Summing and Averages with non-numeric cells
I have a 7 question survery with the following possible responses 1 2 3 4 5 N/A We then take ther responses and average them. I'd like to eliminate the N/A responses from the denominator and from the total sum. I currently have 1 cell for this operation - which doesn't work when the response is N/A since it's a simple (sum)/7 equation. Thanks for any help! Hi, Try it this way =SUM(A1:A7)/COUNT(A1:A7) Mike "Erinayn" wrote: > I have a 7 question survery with the following possible responses > 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 >...

Mail Merge 01-16-08
I use Access 2003. When I go to do a mail merge (Micro. Word), whether it is from a table or a query, and whether I am linking it to a current document or creating a new document, the following happens, 1. I am asked to select a table (even if I want to use a query, the table question is asked). 2. When I select the table, the Acess Icon at the bottom of my screen flashes and when I click on it, the following message appears; "Word was unable to open the data source." Thus, I am unable to do a merge. Can't figure out what is wrong. Thanks for any help that can be given...

Formatting on unprotected cells
I have protected a range of cells in a worksheet. Although it is possible to enter a formula in the unlocked (unprotected) cells on the same sheet, it is not possible to reformat those cells, e.g format them as % or change the number of decimals displayed. Is there any way to allow formatting on the unlocked cells? Thanks This kind of protection was added in xl2002. The tools|protect|protect sheet has a bunch more options. There are a couple ways around it. You could copy a cell that was formatted the way you want and then edit|paste special|formats If you're developing a tool ...