Insert rows in Excel Ledger problem

I am using a ledger for simple accounts, Date, Name, Service, Amount
and Total.
The far right column keeps a running total. I have however omitted
some data and am trying to add rows in various places in date order.
I can insert the rows no problem, however, the final right hand cell
remains blank and will not update the total.
I have tried the format painter which works for all cells but the
last, the format bar is greyed out along with anything else I thought
I could use to solve the problem.
I have tried adding the data on the last row and dragging it up to
where I want it but as soon as I move it even one place the final cell
goes blank again...
I'm sure it's something simple and that I have overcome this problem
before but this time it's driving me nuts!
0
Gary

Gary,

Generally, if you insert rows into a table, you will mess up the formula
references.  You can easily solve this by copying down the formula for that
column from a row that is above your insertion point, all the way down to
the end of your table.

One way around this is to not use formulas in your table, but to use the
table a the source for a pivot table.  In those cases, insertion into the
table may actually be preferred.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Gary Huston" <gary.huston@sky.com> wrote in message
>I am using a ledger for simple accounts, Date, Name, Service, Amount
> and Total.
> The far right column keeps a running total. I have however omitted
> some data and am trying to add rows in various places in date order.
> I can insert the rows no problem, however, the final right hand cell
> remains blank and will not update the total.
> I have tried the format painter which works for all cells but the
> last, the format bar is greyed out along with anything else I thought
> I could use to solve the problem.
> I have tried adding the data on the last row and dragging it up to
> where I want it but as soon as I move it even one place the final cell
> goes blank again...
> I'm sure it's something simple and that I have overcome this problem
> before but this time it's driving me nuts!

0
Bernie
11/14/2009 6:40:01 PM
On 14 Nov, 18:40, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
> Gary,
>
> Generally, if you insert rows into a table, you will mess up the formula
> references. =A0You can easily solve this by copying down the formula for =
that
> column from a row that is above your insertion point, all the way down to
> the end of your table.
>
> One way around this is to not use formulas in your table, but to use the
> table a the source for a pivot table. =A0In those cases, insertion into t=
he
> table may actually be preferred.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>
> "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

> >I am using a ledger for simple accounts, Date, Name, Service, Amount
> > and Total.
> > The far right column keeps a running total. I have however omitted
> > some data and am trying to add rows in various places in date order.
> > I can insert the rows no problem, however, the final right hand cell
> > remains blank and will not update the total.
> > I have tried the format painter which works for all cells but the
> > last, the format bar is greyed out along with anything else I thought
> > I could use to solve the problem.
> > I have tried adding the data on the last row and dragging it up to
> > where I want it but as soon as I move it even one place the final cell
> > goes blank again...
> > I'm sure it's something simple and that I have overcome this problem
> > before but this time it's driving me nuts!

I would love to copy the formula from above, the problem is I can't
access it, I can't get into formulas, everything is greyed out and it
says formulas are not used in ledgers.
0
Gary
11/14/2009 6:55:22 PM
Gary,

What version of Excel are you using?  And, is the sheet protected?

Bernie

On 14 Nov, 18:40, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
> Gary,
>
> Generally, if you insert rows into a table, you will mess up the formula
> references. You can easily solve this by copying down the formula for that
> column from a row that is above your insertion point, all the way down to
> the end of your table.
>
> One way around this is to not use formulas in your table, but to use the
> table a the source for a pivot table. In those cases, insertion into the
> table may actually be preferred.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>
> "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

> >I am using a ledger for simple accounts, Date, Name, Service, Amount
> > and Total.
> > The far right column keeps a running total. I have however omitted
> > some data and am trying to add rows in various places in date order.
> > I can insert the rows no problem, however, the final right hand cell
> > remains blank and will not update the total.
> > I have tried the format painter which works for all cells but the
> > last, the format bar is greyed out along with anything else I thought
> > I could use to solve the problem.
> > I have tried adding the data on the last row and dragging it up to
> > where I want it but as soon as I move it even one place the final cell
> > goes blank again...
> > I'm sure it's something simple and that I have overcome this problem
> > before but this time it's driving me nuts!

I would love to copy the formula from above, the problem is I can't
access it, I can't get into formulas, everything is greyed out and it
says formulas are not used in ledgers.

0
Bernie
11/14/2009 8:24:39 PM
On 14 Nov, 20:24, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
> Gary,
>
> What version of Excel are you using? =A0And, is the sheet protected?
>
> Bernie
>
> "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

> On 14 Nov, 18:40, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
>

> > Gary,
>
> > Generally, if you insert rows into a table, you will mess up the formul=
> > references. You can easily solve this by copying down the formula for t=
hat
> > column from a row that is above your insertion point, all the way down =
> > the end of your table.
>
> > One way around this is to not use formulas in your table, but to use th=
> > table a the source for a pivot table. In those cases, insertion into th=
> > table may actually be preferred.
>
> > HTH,
> > Bernie
> > MS Excel MVP
>
> > "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

..

> > >I am using a ledger for simple accounts, Date, Name, Service, Amount
> > > and Total.
> > > The far right column keeps a running total. I have however omitted
> > > some data and am trying to add rows in various places in date order.
> > > I can insert the rows no problem, however, the final right hand cell
> > > remains blank and will not update the total.
> > > I have tried the format painter which works for all cells but the
> > > last, the format bar is greyed out along with anything else I thought
> > > I could use to solve the problem.
> > > I have tried adding the data on the last row and dragging it up to
> > > where I want it but as soon as I move it even one place the final cel=
> > > goes blank again...
> > > I'm sure it's something simple and that I have overcome this problem
> > > before but this time it's driving me nuts!
>
> I would love to copy the formula from above, the problem is I can't
> access it, I can't get into formulas, everything is greyed out and it
> says formulas are not used in ledgers.

I'm using office 2008 for Mac, the sheet is not protected.
I have asked in the Mac users forum but no replies.
0
Gary
11/15/2009 9:34:19 AM
Gary,

I'm not familiar with Office 2008, so I think that my help will end here,
with one last question - did you download the file from somewhere or create
it yourself?

Bernie

On 14 Nov, 20:24, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
> Gary,
>
> What version of Excel are you using? And, is the sheet protected?
>
> Bernie
>
> "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

> On 14 Nov, 18:40, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
>

> > Gary,
>
> > Generally, if you insert rows into a table, you will mess up the formula
> > references. You can easily solve this by copying down the formula for
> > that
> > column from a row that is above your insertion point, all the way down
> > the end of your table.
>
> > One way around this is to not use formulas in your table, but to use the
> > table a the source for a pivot table. In those cases, insertion into the
> > table may actually be preferred.
>
> > HTH,
> > Bernie
> > MS Excel MVP
>
> > "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

> > >I am using a ledger for simple accounts, Date, Name, Service, Amount
> > > and Total.
> > > The far right column keeps a running total. I have however omitted
> > > some data and am trying to add rows in various places in date order.
> > > I can insert the rows no problem, however, the final right hand cell
> > > remains blank and will not update the total.
> > > I have tried the format painter which works for all cells but the
> > > last, the format bar is greyed out along with anything else I thought
> > > I could use to solve the problem.
> > > I have tried adding the data on the last row and dragging it up to
> > > where I want it but as soon as I move it even one place the final cell
> > > goes blank again...
> > > I'm sure it's something simple and that I have overcome this problem
> > > before but this time it's driving me nuts!
>
> I would love to copy the formula from above, the problem is I can't
> access it, I can't get into formulas, everything is greyed out and it
> says formulas are not used in ledgers.

I'm using office 2008 for Mac, the sheet is not protected.
I have asked in the Mac users forum but no replies.

0
Bernie
11/15/2009 2:09:55 PM
On 15 Nov, 14:09, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
> Gary,
>
> I'm not familiar with Office 2008, so I think that my help will end here,
> with one last question - did you download the file from somewhere or create
> it yourself?
>
> Bernie
>
> "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

> On 14 Nov, 20:24, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
>

> > Gary,
>
> > What version of Excel are you using? And, is the sheet protected?
>
> > Bernie
>
> > "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

> > On 14 Nov, 18:40, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
>
> > > Gary,
>
> > > Generally, if you insert rows into a table, you will mess up the formula
> > > references. You can easily solve this by copying down the formula for
> > > that
> > > column from a row that is above your insertion point, all the way down
> > > the end of your table.
>
> > > One way around this is to not use formulas in your table, but to use the
> > > table a the source for a pivot table. In those cases, insertion into the
> > > table may actually be preferred.
>
> > > HTH,
> > > Bernie
> > > MS Excel MVP
>
> > > "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

> > I would love to copy the formula from above, the problem is I can't
> > access it, I can't get into formulas, everything is greyed out and it
> > says formulas are not used in ledgers.
>
> I'm using office 2008 for Mac, the sheet is not protected.
> I have asked in the Mac users forum but no replies.

It was a template that comes bundled, there are dozens to choose
from,  I just customized one to suit my needs.
I'm wondering if something has gone wrong within the ledger it's self,
when I open a new one and try to add rows it seems to work fine.
I just didn't want to have to re enter almost a whole years accounts
into a new document.
This one has been working fine up until this week.
Looks like I might be in for a long evenings work!
0
Gary
11/15/2009 3:12:40 PM
Gary,

Since you have a table of data, just copy the data (possibly column by
column if the columns are in a different order) and use paste special /
values when you migrate to a new workbook.  The template that you chose
clearly has some VBA code or protection scheme that prevents you from using
it the way that you want.  But migrating to a new workbook should take
minutes, not hours.

Bernie

> On 15 Nov, 14:09, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
>> Gary,
>>
>> I'm not familiar with Office 2008, so I think that my help will end here,
>> with one last question - did you download the file from somewhere or
>> create
>> it yourself?
>>
>> Bernie
>>
>> "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

>> On 14 Nov, 20:24, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
>>

>> > Gary,
>>
>> > What version of Excel are you using? And, is the sheet protected?
>>
>> > Bernie
>>
>> > "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

>> > I would love to copy the formula from above, the problem is I can't
>> > access it, I can't get into formulas, everything is greyed out and it
>> > says formulas are not used in ledgers.
>>
>> I'm using office 2008 for Mac, the sheet is not protected.
>> I have asked in the Mac users forum but no replies.
>
> It was a template that comes bundled, there are dozens to choose
> from,  I just customized one to suit my needs.
> I'm wondering if something has gone wrong within the ledger it's self,
> when I open a new one and try to add rows it seems to work fine.
> I just didn't want to have to re enter almost a whole years accounts
> into a new document.
> This one has been working fine up until this week.
> Looks like I might be in for a long evenings work!

0
Bernie
11/15/2009 3:23:52 PM
On 15 Nov, 15:23, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
> Gary,
>
> Since you have a table of data, just copy the data (possibly column by
> column if the columns are in a different order) and use paste special /
> values when you migrate to a new workbook. =A0The template that you chose
> clearly has some VBA code or protection scheme that prevents you from usi=
ng
> it the way that you want. =A0But migrating to a new workbook should take
> minutes, not hours.
>
> Bernie
>
> "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

> > On 15 Nov, 14:09, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
> >> Gary,
>
> >> I'm not familiar with Office 2008, so I think that my help will end he=
re,
> >> with one last question - did you download the file from somewhere or
> >> create
> >> it yourself?
>
> >> Bernie
>
> >> "Gary Huston" <gary.hus...@sky.com> wrote in message

..

> >> I'm using office 2008 for Mac, the sheet is not protected.
> >> I have asked in the Mac users forum but no replies.
>
> > It was a template that comes bundled, there are dozens to choose
> > from, =A0I just customized one to suit my needs.
> > I'm wondering if something has gone wrong within the ledger it's self,
> > when I open a new one and try to add rows it seems to work fine.
> > I just didn't want to have to re enter almost a whole years accounts
> > into a new document.
> > This one has been working fine up until this week.
> > Looks like I might be in for a long evenings work!

Thanks Bernie, I just pasted special all the data, had to do it all in
one go as It wouldn't let me select just one column at a time, into a
new workbook customized the same as the last one and hey presto it all
works fine. I can add rows no problem. I think there must have been a
bug in the old one.
Thanks for your help.

Gary
0
Gary

Public folder access problem #2
Hello, Don't know if this is an Exchange or Outlook problem, sorry for posting in both groups :-) Exchange Enterprise Edition 2003 SP2, Outlook 2003 SP2 in Windows XP SP2, 1.000 users and public folders. Until yesterday a user was able to access a public folder; tree is : \Public folders\All Public Folders\Department\Incoming Mail \Public folders\All Public Folders\Department\Outgoing Mail Then suddenly this user does not see the content of the Department folder nor the subfolders. When you click on the Department folder properties, summary tab, you see this user has the Reviewer role. ...

Formulas do not work in excel.
Formulas have been working but suddenly they will not add or subtract unless we click on the target cell. This happens in all excel files even in new worksheets. Try going to tools-option-calculation and click automatic if it is on manual. Let me know if it works. B "Flintlock98" wrote: > Formulas have been working but suddenly they will not add or subtract unless > we click on the target cell. This happens in all excel files even in new > worksheets. ...

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

Mail merge with Excel in Publisher 200
Whenever I open a merged document in Publisher with I merged with an Excel spreadsheet, I must re-establish my link with the spreadsheet (including any filters I originally set)--quite annoying. This is has not always been the case; I have some connections which have stayed connected. These could possibly be ones I did in an earlier version of Publisher. Is this a problem with just Publisher 2000 or is there a way to permanently connect my publisher document with my Excel spreadsheet? Thanks much! ...

Linking a Column List to a Row List #2
Thanks for the help, it worked perfectly -- Mo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Moe's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1250 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27428 ...

Calculate cumulative elapsed time in Excel?
In column B, I have the time in hh:mm:ss. In column E, I am trying to calculate the cumulative elasped time (ss) of column B. Please advise. Use the usual SUM() formula and format the formula cell to FormatCells>Custom>Enter: [ss] or to display in hour minute format [h]:mm:ss -- Jacob "Courtney" wrote: > In column B, I have the time in hh:mm:ss. In column E, I am trying to > calculate the cumulative elasped time (ss) of column B. Please advise. Thanks, that helped. Since I am trying to capture the elapsed time for many cells, I used =...

Alternate Row Shading
I'm a newbie who's got a five-column worksheet and about 900 rows, most of them already typed. Grateful if someone could advise how to shade all of the rows in an alternate fashion, i.e., light-gray, then dark-gray, etc. Thanks! AB Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Alex_Bachrach wrote: > I'm a newbie who's got a five-column worksheet and about 900 rows, > most of them already typed. Grateful if someone could advise how to > shade all of the rows in an alternate fashion, i.e., light-gray, then > dark-...

Excel
When using auto-filtering, how can I "number" how many records are displayed. Your question has fallen into an Access news group. Try an Excel news group for a better chance at getting a quick answer. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Rachel" wrote: > When using auto-filtering, how can I "number" how many records are displayed. "Rachel" <Rachel@discussions.microsoft.com> 在郵件 news:DE18E8EF-5A6D-4661-A768-41D3B4D85D6C@microsoft.com 中撰寫... > When using auto-filtering, how can I "number" how many records are ...

Excel 2000: allow users to edit ranges
I have Excel 2002 SP3 but another user has 2000 SP3. I created a big worksheet but only want him to be able to edit 1 column, so I used the Tools > Protection > Allow users to edit ranges and gave him access to that 1 column. When he opens it in 2000, he can not edit anything without first removing the protection from the entire worksheet. When I go to his Tools > Protection, he only has 3 options: protect sheet; protect workbook; protect and share workbook. He has no allow users to edit ranges option. Was this option not included in Excel 2000? Is there an update or add in f...

GP10 Web Service CreateSalesInvoice Problem
I am having a problem creating sales invoices through web services. I am able to create invoices, but GP will not accept my Unit Price - it uses the price on the DEFAULT Price Level (whether or not we specify a price level). I have tried setting TotalPrice, etc... no luck. I need to be able to pass in a unique price for each line item. Any ideas? Here is our test code: public void CreateSalesInvoice() { string sCustomerKey = "AAAI."; int lCompanyKey = 1; string sWarehouseKey = "FH"; string sInvoiceItemID = "5E"; string sSalesDocumentKey = "aaaa...

difficulty transf old excel to new pc
How do I overcome this? Thanks, Hi Danny Install it from the original Office Cd on the new system If you don't have the Cd then you can't install it -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Danny" <danyfujii@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:962e01c3ea99$5a22c5b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > How do I overcome this? > > Thanks, To add to Ron's comment, if you have a OEM copy of office, legally you are not supposed to move the software "Danny" <danyfujii@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:962e01c3ea99$5a22c...

Problems Importing Excel to Outlook
Hello, I have exported my current outlook contacts (appox 400) to excel and have manually added to the sheet and copied and pasted in, about an extra 1000 contacts. I have changed the �Categories� column to a new name and they are all now listed as 2, different and new categories. When I come to import the sheet back it makes the new categories, and then adds about 20% of the contacts on the excel sheet to each of the new categories. It won�t add them all. Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated. Good Egg -- Goodegg After you added the new contacts - di...

How To Copy Rows without Work Art
I have some Word Art in say Rows 9-23, I use some Macro code to copy cells 9-23 down to 10 grouped rows below 23, but everytime I run the Macro it also copies a 'New' Work Art over the existing Art below Row 15. My fear is that my file size will balloon. My code simply states Sheets("Starters").Select Rows("9:23").Select Selection.Copy Range("A25").Select ActiveSheet.Paste Range("A41").Select ActiveSheet.Paste How can I copy Rows 9-23 without the WorkArt also (which is 'floating' over Rows 14-18) Thanks Anot...

Problem while converting excel to csv for Special Characters
Hi All, I need to convert excel sheet data into csv format data=20 file, but while doing so for some Eastern countries, like=20 Poland, special characters in the excel sheet are getting=20 converted into junk data e.g Excel Sheet Original line - Zesp=F3l Opieki Zdrowotnej w=20 Bedzinie Line when converted to CSV - Zesp=F3? Opieki Zdrowotnej w B? dzinie Really appreciate your response on this. Thanks, Pramod I'm not sure if this will help, but I just copied your first original line into a excel worksheet (USA xl2002) and saved it as .csv. I re-imported and it looked fine. I opened t...

Insert trigger

Excel Re-Calc causes network traffic and very slow response times.
Platform: Excel Ver 2003 SP2 Windows XP SP2 Microsoft SBS Server 2003 Workstations: P4 2Ghz, 512 Mb Ram Problem: I have an excel file with hundreds of vlookup and indirect formulas. It has no links to any other spreadsheets. The file resides on a shared network drive on our server. When users do a recalc or change a number in the file causing a recalc it takes about 7 seconds... however after a bit of experimentation I find that if we open the file and then disconnect the workstations network cable the recalc takes less than one second ! Tried saving the file to the local drive of a workstati...

Excel related
when i opening excel application, excel with opening as default sheet2 page.whereas the default sheet1 should be open.please suggest. You may have another instance of Excel open, which has already used "Sheet1". The next available name is "Sheet2". - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Thiyagu" <Thiyagu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1FFB321B-1442-40E9-A4E1-748A173F8F44@microsoft.com... > when i opening excel application, exc...

Need list of the different versions of Excel
In the past my first version of Excel was Version 5, now I use Version 8 (Microsoft Excel97). I would like to know the names (Version numbers) of all the Excels, starting with the first one. I am working on a project that I intend to offer for sale to the public. Therefore, want to know which versions it will work on. Maybe it will on some prior versions depending on what features are used. Thankyou Ed Hi Ed, http://www.j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85F71...

empty rows at bottom of worksheet
My worksheet has about 66,000 empty rows at the bottom of the sheet and that affects my usage of the scrollbar on the right of the screen. Anyone know how i can get rid of those miscellaneous rows? Michael If you will turn on the page break preview (piece of paper with a magnifying glass) which is the icon on the on the Standard Toolbar to the right of the Printer icon it will show you exactly what is going to print. There are solid blue lines that the edge of the page, the dashed blue lines are soft page breaks. Find the solid blue line at the bottom of the spreadsheet and drag it ...

inserting hrs and minutes

XLS Just Dumping XML Problem
Hi New to xml, working from and O'Reily book... I have a simple bit of XML: <?xml version="1.0"?> <?xml-stylesheet type="application/xml" href="Transform.xsl"?> <ReportItems> <Textbox> <Style> <FontWeight>Bold</FontWeight> <PaddingBottom>6</PaddingBottom> </Style> <Value>Some Text</Value> </Textbox> </ReportItems> and a simple bit of XLS: <?xml version="1.0"?> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL...

UNC Path problems
Hi all, I have face a problems in outlook 2000. When i click the unc path in an email, there was nothing happen. I have search on the web and microsoft website, but unfortuneately i can not find out any solution. Please help Thanks a lot ...

Recolor embeded Excel graph in PowerPoint
Is there any way to recolor an embeded Excel graph colors to match the color scheme of targeted PowerPoint file? thanks. You could create a user-defined custom chart type with the colour schem of the presentation and apply it to the embedded chart. I am not aware of any in-built color synchronization between powerpoin and excel, though. - Leni -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com when you say "A user-defined custom chart type" Is this "Chart>Chart type>Custom types>User-defined" ? If yes. 1. Create the same type of graph with MS Graph. 2. Add...