in Excel: How do I change "selected cells" highlight color?

When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely
tell which cells are selected from those that are not. Can I change the
background color of cells that are selected?
Thanks.

Assuming Excel 2007 this is a known problem and as yet no patch for it.

I don't have Excel 2007 but I have read that playing with your Contrast can help
some.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:51:00 -0700, flameretired
<flameretired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely
>tell which cells are selected from those that are not. Can I change the
>background color of cells that are selected?
>Thanks.

0
Gord
6/10/2008 8:54:53 PM
Yes, it is Excel 2007. Sorry for the oversight, and thank you for the
information. I'll keep my eyes 'peeled'.
Thanks, again.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Assuming Excel 2007 this is a known problem and as yet no patch for it.
>
> I don't have Excel 2007 but I have read that playing with your Contrast can help
> some.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:51:00 -0700, flameretired
> <flameretired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely
> >tell which cells are selected from those that are not. Can I change the
> >background color of cells that are selected?
> >Thanks.

Has anyone found a fix for this yet?  It's driving me CRAZY!!!!

Thanks, Treena

"flameretired" wrote:

> Yes, it is Excel 2007. Sorry for the oversight, and thank you for the
> information. I'll keep my eyes 'peeled'.
> Thanks, again.
>
> "Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
> > Assuming Excel 2007 this is a known problem and as yet no patch for it.
> >
> > I don't have Excel 2007 but I have read that playing with your Contrast can help
> > some.
> >

> > Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
> >
> > On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:51:00 -0700, flameretired
> > <flameretired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely
> > >tell which cells are selected from those that are not. Can I change the
> > >background color of cells that are selected?
> > >Thanks.

0
treenaj (2)
6/24/2009 6:44:01 PM
Gord has told you all there is to know.
The very faint colour is a pain for some and seems to be monitor related
(and a bug!)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"treenaj" <treenaj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone found a fix for this yet?  It's driving me CRAZY!!!!
>
> Thanks, Treena
>

> "flameretired" wrote:
>
>> Yes, it is Excel 2007. Sorry for the oversight, and thank you for the
>> information. I'll keep my eyes 'peeled'.
>> Thanks, again.
>>
>> "Gord Dibben" wrote:
>>
>> > Assuming Excel 2007 this is a known problem and as yet no patch for it.
>> >
>> > I don't have Excel 2007 but I have read that playing with your Contrast
>> > can help
>> > some.
>> >

>> > Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

0
bliengme (657)
6/24/2009 7:15:56 PM
Darn... I was hoping that a fix had been found or created since October... oh
well, I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that something will come up.

Thanks, Treena

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> Gord has told you all there is to know.
> The very faint colour is a pain for some and seems to be monitor related
> (and a bug!)
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>

> "treenaj" <treenaj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone found a fix for this yet?  It's driving me CRAZY!!!!
> >
> > Thanks, Treena
> >

> > "flameretired" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, it is Excel 2007. Sorry for the oversight, and thank you for the
> >> information. I'll keep my eyes 'peeled'.
> >> Thanks, again.

0
treenaj (2)

Selected cells: item count versus summation
Used to be when I selected a range of cells, row or column, the sum would show in the lower right part of the sceen. I must have inadvertantly changed something, 'cuz now I get a count of the selected cells. How do I return to the former? Thanks, -- Neal Z right click the word "count" at the bottom of the window and select sum. -- Gary's Student "Neal Zimm" wrote: > Used to be when I selected a range of cells, row or column, the sum would > show in the lower right part of the sceen. > > I must have inadvertantly changed something, 'cu...

VBA handling of selected cells in multiple areas
OS X 10.6.2 Excel 2004 11.5.6 (090928) I'm hoping someone might be willing to see if an error I'm experiencing with VBA for Excel 2004 is reproducible. I've been working with VBA for eons and consider myself proficient. Create a new spreadsheet. Make a 2-row by 3-column matrix 1.1 1.2 1.3 2.1 2.2 2.3 Select the top-left cell (1.1) and, holding down the command key, the top-right cell (1.3). You should see the two, separated cells highlighted. Open the VBA editor and choose the Immediate window. ?selection.cells.count should = 2 so far so good. ...

Need macro to auto delete selected cells
OK, here's the deal. I work with a large spreadsheet that evaluates how drilling crews do on each well. The sheets are set up with lots of lines for data entry. Not all the lines get used and need to be deleted. his is easly accomplished by selecting the range and delete>shift cells up. However, some of the rig crews will delete the rows, which removes some other data stored to the right. Is there a macro that will delete a select range of cells if a particular cell is empty? TIA.....Doc ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTi...

On status bar, sum of selected cells doesn't automatically appear.
Excel 2003 - when you use the auto filter - nomally the sum of cells selected automatically shows up on the bottom left hand side of the status bar - eg: 32 of 100 records found.. but this is not always the case when i open or start a new worksheet Can anyone tell me if there is a function to activeate this on my worksheet... thanx Debra Dalgleish explains why and offers some workarounds: http://contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Count Chozzie wrote: > > Excel 2003 - > when you use the auto filter - nomally the sum of cells selected > automatically shows up on the bottom l...

Sending Selected Cells to an Outlook Task or Email
I would love to be able to select a row (SHIFT+SPACE) and then click a button or use another key combo (i.e. CTRL+SHIFT+T) and send the selected cells (with formats) to the body of a new Outlook Task or Email. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for your help. Regards, magmike ...

Selected cells grow and data entry impossible EXT is dissabled
How do I dissable this option? I select a cell and move the cursor which selects other cells. I also cannot enter data anywhere or select any options in the tool bar after slecting a cell. Extended Selection Option is dissabled and verified through the status bar. Sometimes the mouse buttons stick. Gently bang all the buttons (including the wheel button if you have it) to see if that helps. David McRitchie has some notes about this kind thing at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt Allanhart42 wrote: > > How do I dissable this option? I select a cell and move the cu...

how to create a toolbar button to set selected cells to wrap text
In Excel I frequently go to Format Cells, Alignment tab, then select check box to wrap (or not wrap) text. How can I create a toggle button I can put on my toolbar so I can wrap (not wrap) text for the selected cells with just the one mouse click? steve Sub Wrap_Text() With Selection .WrapText = Not .WrapText End With End Sub Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:19:02 -0800, steveguebert <steveguebert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Excel I frequently go to Format Cells, Alignment tab, then select check >box to wrap (or not wrap) text. How c...

Protecting Selected Cells and Functions
I have a worksheet. In Cell B2 is a Data validation box Listing a range of colleagues names( DRop Down Menu). On selection of a name in B2, the contents of the whole worksheet changes. I like to Protect the worksheet for: 1) Hiding the formulaes 2) And most importantly preventing editing of the contents of any other cell (except B2). and yet be permiitted to: 3) Select contents in Cell B2 (Data Validation Box) 4) Select Auto filters in Row 4 I've tried using the the Tools/ Protect worksheet menu, ticking Select Lock Cells, Select Unlock cell, use auto filters. And in in Format/Cells/...

in Excel: How do I change "selected cells" highlight color?
When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely tell which cells are selected from those that are not. Can I change the background color of cells that are selected? Thanks. Assuming Excel 2007 this is a known problem and as yet no patch for it. I don't have Excel 2007 but I have read that playing with your Contrast can help some. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:51:00 -0700, flameretired <flameretired@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I select cells in Excel the shading is so light (blue) that I can barely >tell whic...

prevent reading or any access to selected cells
Spreadsheet has personal data such as names, addresses. Also has Social Security Numbers, which should be private. Trying to send the file to someone so they can edit part of the file. Don't want them even to see the SSNs. I know how to protect a cell from editing and how to hide columns, but can't figure how to allow editing but prevent even seeing the contents of certain cells. Am sure it's simple, but I'm stumped. Excel's security isn't made to protect this kind of stuff. If the recipient shouldn't see that info, then don't share the workbook with t...

How to fix a number of rows below the selected cells?
I am working with Excel such that I need to see the values 10 rows below the current selected cell. But whenever I proceed down the worksheet, I eventually left with last row on the screen before the worksheet scrolls and stay there. How can I set a minimum number of rows to always appear below my selected cell? Currently the scroll lock has the desired effect, only the scroll lock never move the selected cells in response to the keyboard. ...

Sum of only selected cells in Excel
I have Office Xp. When using Excel is there a way to get a sum of only selected cells not in a sequence, and how can I selected those rows or cells? Sol Sum will appear in the Status bar if you enable it. And select random cells by holding down CTRL key and clicking on them S1L1Y1 wrote: > I have Office Xp. When using Excel is there a way to get a sum of only > selected cells not in a sequence, and how can I selected those rows or > cells? > Sol > > S1L1Y1 wrote: > I have Office Xp. When using Excel is there a way to get a sum of only >...

Selected cells are grey rather than blue
When I select a range of cells in Excel 2000, I get a grey background to indicate the selected cells rather than the blue I used to get. How do I get black to blue? John The only way I can think of to make this sort of change would be through Windows Display Settings. What do Selected Items look like in other Applications? Right-click on Desktop>Properties>Appearance>Advanced>Item>Selected Items. Make color changes here. Note: the steps to get to "Item" is for Windows XP. 2000 may differ. Gord Dibben Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002 On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15...

Move selected cells to new destination via macro / formula / VB ed
I have a workbook that has multiple sheets with different information in each sheet that needs to move to new results sheet contained in the same workbook. I need to take the following cells c9 e9 g9 i9 c10 e10 etc from the all of the sheets contained in the workbook (108 sheets in total) and put the results of the cells into a new sheet going accross the page. The following sheets have the data in the same places as the first sheet c9 e9 g9 etc. but the results need to be placed in the next line(s) down so that none of the information is overwritten and is displaying all of the sheets ...

selected cells doesnot change colour
I want the excel cells to change colour as I select so I could see the range I have selected as it was in previous versions. How I can select this option. This is worksheet code so right-click the sheet tab and paste in Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) Static lastcell As Range Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 3 'modify to suit lastcell.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone Set lastcell = Target End Sub Mike "Zarrar Janjua" wrote: > I want the excel cells to change colour as I select so I could see the range > I have selected as it was in ...

Excel won't highlight selected cells
Hi. Just started having a problem today with selecting cells. I have worksheets that need to have the formatting changed on certain cells. Some need to be merged, some need to have different fonts, etc. Before today, I was able to hold the CTRL key down and select whatever cells needed to be changed (as a group). I can still do that, but only the Title row and columns (A,B,C...1,2,3,4...) are highlighted but not the individual cells that I have clicked on. The problem is more of a large annoyance and I can still get my work done but it takes much longer because I can'...

How to Lock the selected cells in Excel worksheet
i have a worksheet where the datas to be entered only by the administrator..and the user shouldnot have to enter any value in the cell.. Also i dont want to show the formulas to be showed to the user..any help on the subject pls.. Siva, By default all cells in excel are protected or locked, select the cells you want to unlock and go to format, cells, protection and uncheck locked, then go to tools, protection, and protect sheet, enter a password if you want, now only the cells that you unlocked can be edited. Be aware that this protection is very easy to break, the code to do so can be fo...

How to lock the selected cells in 2007
i unable to lock the particular selected cells,, if i select protect work sheet entire sheet gets locked... my rquirement is only lock the particular selected cell unlock all of them, lock the ones you want and then protect the sheet. -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Ashickur" <Ashickur @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CD688B5-29E5-4D11-9288-5324201FBB9C@microsoft.com... >i unable to lock the particular selected cells,, if i select protect work > sheet entire sheet gets locked... my rquirement is only lock the particular > sele...

How to go back to last selected cells?
Hello How to go back to last selected cells? Hi Dmitri, Try something like: '===================>> Public Sub Tester03() Dim rng As Range Dim rCell As Range Set rng = Selection Set rCell = ActiveCell 'your code, e.g. Range("A1").Select rng.Select rCell.Activate End Sub '<<=================== However, the above code would not normally be needed because it is rarely necessary, or desirable, to make selections, --- Regards, Norman "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@bk.ruDelete> wrote in message news:uzAUQ1%23...

Create a new Excel file with selected cells
Hi All, I need your help once again. I have a Dashboard with five sheets and I was wondering if there is a function to create a new Excel file based on the data selected from the Dashboard. I would like to select data or cells from different sheets from the Dashboard then create a new Excel file with the data selected using a macro or vb. I guess I could just copy and paste the data from one file to another but there are a large number of cells I need to select. I would like to know if I could automate this process. Thanks in advance. Jose activesheets.saveas :) ...

Excel format in selected cells have changed to DATE format!!!!
OMG! This is destroyed my spreadsheet, it has happened before... randomly certain cells are changed to DATE format, the NORMAL style changes to DATE format. Changing the normal style back to 'General' number format worked last time, this time, it has ravaged my spreadsheet. What is causing this? I saw this bug mentioned by other people in other posts. What is causing this bug, and how can i avoid it from happening again? You are placing text in the cells that look exactly like dates. Format the cell as text or place a ' in the cell before the text when you place ...

I want to sort selected cells in Excel, not entire rows.
Has Microsoft Excel changed? I want to sort my selected cells, and not the entire row! Also, Excel keeps extending my selection to adjacent rows with data in them whether I use the sort shortcut button, or sort from the data menu. No, it hasn't change, you can select a range and only sort that range, you should get prompted if the adjoining cells has values but then you select "continue with current selection" Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Aeryn635" wrote: > Has Microsoft Excel changed? I want to sort my selected cells, and not the > entire row! Also, Exc...

Find Min Value in Row or Selected Cells
I have a query where I have product SKU's with various Pgrogram Prices. I want to create an expression to look at these multiple prices and return the lowest price and/or the heading for the lowest price: Name APrice BPrice CPrice SeasonP FlyerP *BestProg *Best Price Widgit 1 1.01 1.25 1.54 1.11 0.99 FlyerP 0.99 Widgit 2 2.01 2.12 2.37 2.99 APrice 2.01 Widgit 3 1.23 1.22 1.25 1.24 BPrice 1.22 Widgit 4 ...

EXCEL VBA/CALCULATION
... with the use of tick boxs. Hello and thank you for taking your time to open up this topic. Wel first of all is to set the scenario. I am creating a worksheet on computer company in which i have selected peripherals for exampl monitors. E.g. a_________________b_______________c______ d________ TFT 15" �179.00 �210.33 1 17" �239.00 �280.83 2 19" �299.00 �351.33 3 4 CRT 5 17" �86.19 �101.27 6 19" �111.39 �130.88 7 ____________________________________________________ after the second...