IF Function with Text values

Hi, I can't seem to get the IF formula to work with my spreadsheet. I have
two colums one with user login the other with surname and i need to pick the
surname out of the user login and i can't get the IF true or false to pick
out the surnames, any help very much appriciated.

Hi
use something like
=VLOOKUP("user_id",A1:B100,2,0)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

.. wrote:
> Hi, I can't seem to get the IF formula to work with my spreadsheet. I
> have two colums one with user login the other with surname and i need
> to pick the surname out of the user login and i can't get the IF true
> or false to pick out the surnames, any help very much appriciated.

0
frank.kabel (11126)

Converting Text to an external cell ref.
Hi, I'm, trying to put together an external cell reference in my worksheet. I can join together text that looks like the File Path / Work Sheet / Cell reference, but I can't figure out how to turn this string of text into a file path etc. and pick up the data I want. I get this strange feeling I'm being a complete idiot asking this can't see the wood for the trees, but I need help. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi normally you can use INDIRECT for this. E.g. =INDIRECT("'[Book1.xls]Sheet1'!A1") which gets the value from cell A1, sheet...

Copying Text to Clip Board Using a Macro
Hi, is it possible to store text e.g. a standard script which I constantly use within the code of a macro ? The macro would be assigned to a button and when the button is �clicked on� it would copy this text to the clip board which will then allow me to paste it into another application. Currently this text is stored in a cell and I reference this cell and copy to clip board this way, buy I want to get away from storing text this way. Any help would be grateful appreciates Many thanks Rob -- robertguy 44 Married two kids ------------------------------------------------------------...

ROUND Function with other function
Hi, I have this formula: =IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8) and the results shows me for example: +11.6 but what I really want t show is +12. I've been trying to put the "Round" function at a few places in th formula but it doesn't work. The closest I got was with this formula: =ROUND(IF(R8>0,CONCATENATE("+",R8),R8),0) where it showed me 12, without the "+" sign before.... Can anyone help me ? Thank -- Outapi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Outapin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member...

Finding if a text string can be found in a column
I have two lists of clients names, A and B, that have some names in common.. I already sent a mailing to list A, and would like to send another to the names of list B that do not belong to list A. So far I have tried to add a column to list B with a test to see if each name of list B is in list A. I tried to combine functions like OR and EXACT but haven't succeeded. I would appreciate your help! Try Chip Pearson's page at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#InOneNotOther Look for "Extracting Values On One List And Not Another" -- Rgds Max xl 97 -- Please respon...

Excel 2007
In Excel 2003, one could select a cell, highlight a part of the contained text string and then right-clidk and format text. I could get underlining, bold, font, color, etc. For some reason, with Excel 2007, I can do the same, but when I hit the enter button, the formatting disappears. It reappears if I select the cell and press F2. Is there some setting that I have missed? ...

Show actual values added instead of cell references? (=A1+A4 shows as =10+2 in cell)
Is this even possible? I have the following: A1 =A2 (Shows result of 10) A2 10 A3 A4 =A5 (Shows Result of 2) A5 2 A7 =10+2 (Shows result of 27) Is there a way to show the formula in A7 as =10+2 instead of having it =A2+A5 ??? Thanks a bunch! On Dec 29, 1:24=A0pm, Naji <najisaa...@gmail.com> wrote: > Is this even possible? > > I have the following: > > A1 =A0=3DA2 (Shows result of 10) > A2 =A010 > A3 > A4 =3DA5 (Shows Result of 2) > A5 2 > > A7 =3D10+2 (Shows result of 27) > > Is there a way to show the formula in A7...

Returning a range from an inner function
I have a range of data, which has had the DOLLAR() function performed on it. I would like to get the total of this range using the SUM() function. doing SUM(F1:F4) will not work, so I need to convert the data into values that will work. The VALUE() function is perfect for converting the data into values that will work for SUM(), but the formula SUM(VALUE(F1:F4)) does not work because VALUE() will not accept a range as a parameter (and also does not return a range). I need to perform the VALUE() function on each cell before submitting it to SUM(). There must be some way to do this, cons...

Re: Lifetime customer value formula?
I'm probably asking a very basic question, so please forgive me. suspect there's a standard formula for this, but I cannot find it. I'm looking for a formula for a spreadsheet I'm building that will giv me the lifetime customer value for a subscription website. I don't need a net present value for the sum. The input variables are: 1. Initial sign-on fee ($IN) 2. Access fee per billing cycle ($AF) 3. The retention rate - % who renew membership each billing cycle (R%) The formula shouldn't go through infinite cycles. A close approximatio would be adequate. For ins...

JustifyString function problem
Hi, I'm using the "JustifyString" function (from Stephan Lebans) to right justify three columns in a ListBox. Two of them are working fine ... one's a simple number (long integer) and the other's currency. The third causes an Access 2003 crash! That third column is a long integer which is a link to the autonumber field in another table. Both tables are in the query as I need columns from both tables in the ListBox. If I change the JustifyString to reference the autonumber field in the other table, I still get an Access crash. I didn't review the Access er...

automating functions
I am a complete novice at CRM 1.2, but want to be able to create, for example, a workflow process that will monitor the CSR's and the queues and automatically assign a new case to the least busy CSR. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Jim Please tell me what I would have to do and with what tools in order to create such a workflow process. "jmb" wrote: > I am a complete novice at CRM 1.2, but want to be able to create, for > example, a workflow process that will monitor the CSR's and the queues and > automatically assign a new case to the lea...

embed a table so when text is edited it moves too
I am working on an IBM with Publisher 2003. I autoflow the text within the text block and want to embed charts/tables within the text block so when the text is edited the table move with it. I tried embedding the table but that embeds it into the document NOT the text block. Thanks in advance for your help. Word is more suitable for what you are trying to do. Publisher is a page layout application. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Miss P" <Miss P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:170...

Returning a CHAR[] from a function
I have the following function that returns the path of where the program was run from. However I cant seem to return the butter as a CHAR. The code works if I use it in a procedure but not where I need to return the variable CHAR buffer. char CAutoRunDlg::GetProgramPath(void) { char buffer[_MAX_PATH]; //declares maimum path //opens window maximized //_getcwd(,)gets the current working directory // #include <direct.h> //needed for current working directory /* Get the current working directory: */ if( _getcwd( buffer, _MAX_PATH ) == NULL ) perror( "_getcwd error" )...

Export text to TextBox into Excel
Good Afternoon, Access 2003 I developed a module to open an excel file and then I would like export a text from a form to textbox into excel. My example works fine the len string is <255 characters. If is > add nothing into text box. Function ExportTextToExcel() Dim xlApp As Excel.Application Dim xlBook As Excel.Workbook Dim strText As String Set xlApp = CreateObject("Excel.Application") Set xlBook = xlApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\BLK2DB\AllocSystSQL\Temp\NET Statistics_2007.xls", , True) Set xlBook = GetObject("C:\Test.xls&q...

Turning Off Error Reporting using API Functions and VB
We want to automatically turn off the error reporting options using Windows API functions for the following functions area Click on Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, the Advanced tab and Error Reporting (at the bottom of the screen), which launches the Error Reporting screen. Another way to get to that screen: Open My Computer, right-click on Properties, click on Advanced tab and Error Reporting. Any assistance would be welcome. It's not a program's call. It's the user's decision. --=20 -------------------------------------------------------------------------= --...

Complex functions
Hi All, Suppose you have a very complex and long function that is also subject to a condition, then you will/can have something like: =if(condition(complex function), complex function, other complex function) It can have more lines in the formula bar, so readability below 0 Kelvin. Is there a way to 'name' a function? =If(condition(myfunc = complex function), myfunc, other complex function) With kind regards, JP Yes you can put a formula into an Excel Name (the same as you can give a range an Excel Name. Very powerful it can be too. Do a Google fo...

Selecting all records if certain value
I have a selection form with a pull down menu of courses listed for that person. I want to make it so an "Admin" can see all courses but other users only see those specific to them. How do I do this in a query? -- Thank you in advance Write a public function that returns the current user's ID (assuming that this will be same as the PersonID in your table), and name that function GetCurrentUserID. Then add a criterion to the field that lists the person's ID: =GetCurrentUserID() Or GetCurrentUserID() = "Admin" -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS M...

copy formatted text
When copying text from Word that contains an if/then argument, as well as mail merge fields, all formatting is lost. Paste special does not appear to work for this, either. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Pub 2003, Word 2000, and Win XP. Thanks, JR Percy Cousins wrote: > When copying text from Word that contains an if/then argument, as well as > mail merge fields, all formatting is lost. Paste special does not appear to > work for this, either. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Pub 2003, Word 2000, > and Win XP. This is not supported in Publisher. -- Brian Kv...

Only highlighted text included in reply or forward
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange How do I disable that &quot;feature?&quot; On 5/24/10 10:36 AM, in article 59bb8eb9.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "MacRocks@officeformac.com" <MacRocks@officeformac.com> wrote: > Exchange How do I disable that "feature?" In Entourage preferences under Entourage in the Menu bar, you need to set your reply and set plain text or HTML. Thes link will help you make the correct choices. Switch my reply/signature placement in a message: <htt...

Match Function
Hi, I have put together a spreadsheet to find codes, states, descriptions. It finds the data by dates. Columns are: Dates, Codes, States, Descriptions If I put in a date it matches the code, state and description. My problem is that if I have 2 dates that are the same it will only match the first date it can find. What kind of formula do I need so that it will output the second or third date data. Thanks for your help. If you need a copy of the spreadsheet please let me know. How many rows of data do you have? -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Melanie" <Melanie@discussio...

Variant type value
Hello, I have a switch statement, and I receive a vValue.vt equal to 8204. I tested for VT_VARIANT, VT_ARRAY,... and none of these type values = 8204. What type value equals 8204? Thanks, Brian void myBC::ResponseCallback(VARIANT vValue) { [...] switch(vValue.vt) { case VT_I4 : //VT_I4 has a value of 3 // do something break; case VT_??? //What has a value of 8204 ? // do something break; } } "Brian Smith" <bcooper61@aol.com> wrote in message news:104e01c345ac$191f02a0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, &g...

Concatenate text from columns
How can I concatenate text in colB? ColA has 2 markers C and * Whenever C is followed by * I need to unite the text fields in ColB So, for the data below I want ColA ColB C Text1 Text1a C Text2 Text2a Text2b Text2c ColA ColB C Text1 * Text1a cont'd C Text2 * Text2a cont'd * Text2b cont'd * Text2c cont'd C Text3 Hope this makes sense! Thbe easy method is to use a fromula in the worksheet. Something like this in cell C1 =if(A2="*",B1&B2,"") Then copy formula down column C Next Copy colum...

convert text into date
can any one help me i have data in excel like 436,or 1851 i wanted to convert this text format into time and date format so actully i wanted it to be as 4:36 AM or 18:51 PM, I found one solution if you manually put ":" between "4" and "36" then format cell as time, this will work but i have a lot of data, is there any formula to put ":" between charactors thanx shabbir Hi in adjancent cell try the following formula =TIME(LEFT(A1,1+(LEN(A1)=4)),RIGHT(A1,2),0) and format this cell as time -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "arshab1&qu...

fixing a maximum chart value
I am making line graphs by asp,I want the scaling to be off in the graphs.Here is an example: http://www.imlab.psu.edu/forest/gr.gif In this graph I want to have 30 on the left scale instead of 7. So in this case the lines will seem smaller and lower. Does anybody know how to do this? Thanks cenk -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com ...

how to catch values from a texts to use it as values
Hi. I want to create a formula system in my access program. So I using a little funcionality that I already have in my system that make calcs using a prompt command. So, I'm trying to load a text value that as the formula: (([Field1]*[field2]*[field3]*[field4])/[field5]) but this don't work because the form cannot use the text values, it uses text, imagine this: I havee in this fields: field1: 10 field2: 30 field3: 2 field4: 14 field5: 12 I want that my value is: 700 My problem is that the form cannot understand that it should not use the text but the inside numbers. I also...

If Function Function
okay. So I am trying to workout a formula to compute a commision earning. Basically, if X amount of new business is made, then X*Y (corresponding Commision rate percentage), but if new business =<X, then X*Y (Commision rate percentage that is true). Problem is, it's super confusing...anyone have any suggestions? See if this helps: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/variablerate.html -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "aetejada" <aetejada@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA4E55F7-9435-4BB6-837A-416A59BB72A0@microsoft.com... > okay. So I am...