I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.

I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this
stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest
staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with
staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the
number of employees available in each team.

I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall
staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing
requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule.
Likewise with the total number of employees available for each half-hour and
the number of employees available in each team for each half-hour.

Currently, that leaves me with the problem manually of assigning the number
of employees required to be working in each team, based on their
availability, for each half-hour. This task can take me hours to complete as
I have other things to do at the same time. An associate produced a formula
that works on a percentage methodology, but the problem is that it results in
figures such as 7.2, instead of a whole number, so the entire sheet has to be
reviewed and manually corrected. At that point, I'm just as well off doing it
manually.

I need a formula that will calculate the staffing requirement for each team
for each half-hour based on employee availability. It should not staff above
the number of available employees each team, nor staff more than the total
required of all the teams combined.

I know that my description would do little to help me picture the situation.
So, if you're in a position to rescue a fellow American, I'd be glad to
phone, and/or send a copy of the spreadsheet, and can offer some modest
financial compensation for the effort.
0
Dennis (299)

I could be misunderstanding, but it sounds as simple as using the ROUNDDOWN
function...? If you click "Insert" -> "Function", look in Math & Trig, go to
ROUNDDOWN. I think that is a very simple way to fix your problem, if I read
that right.

"Dennis" wrote:

> I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this
> stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest
> staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with
> staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the
> number of employees available in each team.
>
> I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall
> staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing
> requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule.
> Likewise with the total number of employees available for each half-hour and
> the number of employees available in each team for each half-hour.
>
> Currently, that leaves me with the problem manually of assigning the number
> of employees required to be working in each team, based on their
> availability, for each half-hour. This task can take me hours to complete as
> I have other things to do at the same time. An associate produced a formula
> that works on a percentage methodology, but the problem is that it results in
> figures such as 7.2, instead of a whole number, so the entire sheet has to be
> reviewed and manually corrected. At that point, I'm just as well off doing it
> manually.
>
> I need a formula that will calculate the staffing requirement for each team
> for each half-hour based on employee availability. It should not staff above
> the number of available employees each team, nor staff more than the total
> required of all the teams combined.
>
> I know that my description would do little to help me picture the situation.
> So, if you're in a position to rescue a fellow American, I'd be glad to
> phone, and/or send a copy of the spreadsheet, and can offer some modest
> financial compensation for the effort.
0
CHallisy (1)

Need more data series
Is this possible anyhow? I am using the chart to accuratley draw a grid in an xy scatter char and have used my allowed 255 data series. I need another 100 or so. Can it be done?? cheers Nobb +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: grid.JPG |Download: http://www.excelbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=118 +------------------------------------------------------------------- -- nobbyknownowt nobby, can you upload the actual xls file please? Then I can have a look at it. -- Wigi http://www.wimg...

Help with date range.
I need a query to display the date like below. Thank you in advance. 9/1/07 10/1/07 11/1/07 12/1/07 1/1/08 … 12/1/09 1/1/10 This will be best done client side or in reporting interface. Here is one T-SQL solution: SELECT LTRIM(MONTH(dt)) + '/' + LTRIM(DAY(dt)) + '/' + RIGHT(YEAR(dt), 2) FROM Foo; -- Plamen Ratchev http://www.SQLStudio.com One of the basic rules of a tiered architecture is that display is done in the front end. This is FAR more basic than SQL. LN wrote: > I need a query to display the date like below. Thank you in advance. >...

Problems with a simple formula
Using Excel 2002 Can't believe this! I have a spreadsheet that totals my services; calculates the taxes and than I send it of as an invoice. I've taken up a job that involves traveling and the company pays fuel expenses at 14% of my total daily invoiced amount. I'm attempting to add this amount to my invoice and I can't get it to work. The formula is about as simple as you can get: this is what I have been trying. =sum(.14*I28). I28 is the total of my invoice before I add the fuel charge. All that will show is a blank cell; no error shows at all. Interesting th...

Help; how do i change the waiting circle (in IE tab) to anything e
I am making a website and i have a lot of wait time for my server-side pages to do their work. The waiting circle icon gives me a headache so I would like to change that to something else please. I remember IE6 had a great Microsoft Flag logo that would wave while a page would load. Could I get IE8 to use this logo? Sorry Trozza, you can't. "Trozza Mited" <Trozza Mited@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C401644-2391-4317-92BD-D7F3DFD2B06C@microsoft.com... > I am making a website and i have a lot of wait time for my server-side > p...

CMonthCalCtrl
Hi, I want few custom things in CMonthCalCtrl. Can anyone suggest how these can be achieved. 1) I want the Next and Prev button to be disabled or hidden. I just want the month that's shown only and not allow the users to move to the next. 2) I want to hide the year text. can some one tell me how this can be done. Thanks in advance -Amudhan You could try this control instead. Having the source for it would allow you to customize it to your liking... http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/minicalendar.asp?df=100&forumid=3190&exp=0&select=967592 It doesn't look to me like t...

Help with If Sum statement
Hi, I need to be able to do the following but i can not quite arrange the formula corectly.... I have one sheet that has all the weeks in coulumns (for a project). In another sheet i have this A B C D E Analysis Task 3 12/04/2010 14/04/2010 Task 5 15/04/2010 21/04/2010 Task 3 22/04/2010 26/04/2010 Task 10 27/04/2010 10/05/2010 Task 6 11/05/2010 18/05/2010 Analysis Task 2 11/05/2010 12/05/2010 Develop Task 4 13/05/2010 18/05/2010 Task 3.5 13/05/2010 18/05/2010 Analysis Task 1 13/05/2010 13/05/2010 Develop Task 2.5 14/05/2010 18/05/2010 Task 5.8 1...

Need help looking up data-vlookup isn't working
I have 2 worksheets. Column A in sheet 1 contains values that I know are in column A of sheet 2. I need only the rest of the values in sheet 2 (in other words, the values that are NOT in sheet one). Thanks! Put this in Sheet2 cell B1 and copy down =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A1,1,FALSE)),A1,"") Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "MMcGee" <MMcGee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B3F7255-3691-4CE3-AB21-B625764F6A91@microsoft.com... > > I have 2 worksheets. Column A in sheet 1 contains values that I know are > ...

HELP...TOO MANY OUTLOOK PROCESSES
When I got to shut down my system I am having to close out of SEVERAL sessions of outlook that are running. This time I QAD'd and saw that there were 6 outlooks running.....HOW CAN I CURE THE PROBLEM? TIA Quit opening Outlook so many times. When I was a System's Tech, I noticed some users would open Outlook from their TaskBar, 7 or 8 times a day, thinking they were going back to a previously open window, when in reality they're opening a new Outlook Session. Just pay attention to what you're clicking on when you toggle between programs. If there's a more seriou...

mailbox gone...HELP!
I am running Exchange Server 2003 in mixed mode(exch 5.5). I started seeing NDR's for a user on Friday, but was busy and the user was off so did not get the chance to look into it. This morning i see in ESM that his his acct is gone. The attributes are still there in ADUC though. Not sure what happened but would really appreciate some help on this one. I checked the backups and he is the only user that was not in the list of mailboxes being backed up. The user has a laptop and is setup to run in cached mode so I he has a copy of his pst locally. One other important point is ...

Import / export formatted txt file, Can you help please??
Hi all, I have a receiver that has no support for it all anymore. It is a completely legal receiver, (thats why it has no support). I would like to be able to edit the channel list on my PC. I can easily get the channel list from it, and I can upload it again, but there is no editor to manipulate the data. If I could import the text file edit the data then save it in the same format I could get by without a channel editor like the newer ones have. I'll include a snippet of the file so you can see. First off the closest I've come to importing the file corectly is to import us...

Really?!
According to my Xnews reader . . . (and Excel) . . . Did you know that since December 14 last year over 43000 messages appeared in this newsgroup?! That means that we were able to place an average of 209 messages per day in microsoft.public.excel.misc! Congratulations to us all! Think a detailed summary picture, with monthly figures stretching back almost 10 years, a host of interesting stats (live) & clickable links is availed for say, excel.misc at Googles: "About microsoft.public.excel.misc " page at: http://groups.google.com.sg/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/about?h...

Form help 03-24-07
I have a Access database containing information about toolbox inspections. In my table I have: Toolbox number, owning shop, date inspection due, date inspection completed, interval, next inspection due. These are dates, except for number, owning shop and interval. I have a form made with these same fields. The interval in all cases is 90 days. When a user inspects a toolbox they would enter the "date inspection completed" in the form. What I'm trying to do is to get the "next inspection due" field to automatically add 90 days to the "date inspection completed...

Need CRM overview
I will be evaluating CRM for my business and was hoping someone could list out the software and computing environment needed to make this work. Do I need to run a core crm app off a server? Is it all standalone? A laundry-list sort of thing would be most appreciated. Thanks! I need exactly what David needs, too. -- Jocelyn jocelyn.puegner@hotmail.com "David Smith" wrote: > I will be evaluating CRM for my business and was hoping someone could list > out the software and computing environment needed to make this work. Do I > need to run a core crm app off a serve...

Need Count Formula Help
Hello, I'm trying to write a count formula. Column A has just names, many with "New Hire" as a placeholder for upcoming heads added throughout 2005. Column B indicates the hire date --- only the "New Hire" labels will be in the 2005 year. Then I have twelve columns representing the months for 2005. I can't figure out how to write the formula, to appear at the bottom of each month's column, to count the total dates that fall within January 2005, within February 2005, within March 2005, etc. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance! Corey Nevermin...

Help with Excel Workbook
I am updating a workbook and very behind. It's a construction workbook, so there many separate categories that have to total costs For example, electric, plumbing, misc....etc...and then theres a totals page. What is the easiest way to input info? Can I input all info on one page. thanks Not sure if this has anything to do with Outlook. You might have better luck posting in an Excel newsgroup. "Nina" <Nina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E171EE5-5679-4210-9D00-E7649A0FB909@microsoft.com... >I am updating a workbook and very behind. It's a...

Really, REALLY big picklists
Hi guys, Our client wants to have a picklist with about 3700-3800 values in it, and wants to add further items to it. It wasn't until it got to our data migration guy, who was entering them in manually and wanted my help on the matter that it was brought to my attention. They want to retrieve the 3700-3800 values, select the information, and return the name of the entry. Apparently typing the name in is too hard, or would result in too many mis-entries. Basically I think the idea is retarded and a really, really bad idea, especially since I couldn't find any supported methods to a...

How do i "drag" a formula?
i have an excel worksheet to do and i have been instructed to drad a formula and i have no idea what that means. thanks spencer In most cases, it means to type your formula in a cell (say A1). Then move your cursor to the bottom right corner of that cell--where you see a little square like thingy. (Sometimes called the AutoFill button). Click on that and drag down. If you rightclick on that autofill button and drag, you'll see a bunch of options when you release the button. === If you don't see that little autofill button, make sure you have drag and drop enabled. Tools|optio...

Help on Help
I am lost. Please direct me. In the Microsoft Access 2007 Help, under Access Developer Home > Access Macro Actions > OpenForm Macro Action the following reference excerpt exists: Examples Set the value of a control by using a macro The following macro opens the Add Products form from a button on the Suppliers form. It shows the use of the Echo, Close, OpenForm, SetValue, and GoToControl actions. The SetValue action sets the Supplier ID control on the Products form to the current supplier on the Suppliers form. The GoToControl action then moves the focus to the Category ID field, where...

Help me impress my boss PLEASE
Heres the thing: We have 3 people and our boss. The boss needs to be able to send a task out that re-accures every month, we the people need to have one of us accept the task, and modify the status to show that it is in progress. Everyone else must see that this has been done by using a popup. Can I have a pop up window show that someone has accepted the task? And if no one accepts it and the task sits for 1 day, can I have a popup window appear saying "MUST BE DONE!!!" I'm a little confused can someone recomend a really good web page? To sum up: 1. Pop Windows are th...

Excel IF Formulas
Good afternoon - I need to create a formula in a cell that indicates if that particular cell returns a certain value then the entire row of information should be moved to a different sheet. For lack of a more formal formula I'm trying to get something that works along the following concept: "IF cell A1=1 then move Row 1 to sheet 2 or if cell A1=2 then move Row 1 to sheet 3", etc., etc. I basically have a pipeline of information on a master sheet that I would like to split up into 9 different sheets (all in 1 file) depending on what the status is of a parti...

Need an Add-on to view messages in plain old text format
Hi, I am looking for an Add-on for Outlook 2002/XP to view messages in their original text format, including the headers. In Outlook Express, you could turn off the Preview Pane and use Right Click-->Properties-->Details-->Message Source, to view the message in its non-HTML form. Is there an Add-on for Outlook that let you do this? On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 09:10:05 -0400, "Someone" <nobody@cox.net> wrote: >Hi, > >I am looking for an Add-on for Outlook 2002/XP to view messages in their >original text format, including the headers. In Outlook Express, yo...

I need your help
Windows 2003 Server Enterprise with IIS 6 Sql Server 2005 I try open a report but display the next page: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond XX.X.XX.XXX:80 Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt ...

Formula to Return a Value Q
I have a database of Sales Mixes by Location by Sales Date. What I am trying to achieve is to produce a simple table that will detail to be for what Location and Sales date any Sales Mixes are missing. My Report will look something like this 11/04/04 12/04/04 13/04/04 Location A No Location B Location C No In the simple table above, because no Sales Mixes exist in my table for Location A on 12th April then it will show No, similarly for Location C on the 11th April. I am looking for a formula that will return this ...

Need help with code
I have a problem and I hope someone can help with it. I have a form with a bunch of Checkboxes. And I have 3 Option buttons: Select All, Make Selection and Clear All, and 2 buttons. The buttons are disabled. Slect All checks all the CheckBoxes and enable the buttons, Clear All uncheck all the CheckBoxes and disable the buttons. Make Selection is surposed to uncheck all the CheckBoxes with the buttons still disabled. What I want to do next is this, any time a checkbox is checked I want the 2 buttons to become enabled and if no checkbox is checked I want the 2 buttons to be disabled....

Need count of updates after UPDATE query
Is there any way to get the count of updates after running this? strSQL = "UPDATE ..." currentproject.connection.execute strSQL On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:04:00 -0800, mscertified wrote: > Is there any way to get the count of updates after running this? > > strSQL = "UPDATE ..." > currentproject.connection.execute strSQL Look up the RecordAffected property in VBA help. -- Fred Please respond only to this newsgroup. I do not reply to personal e-mail ...