I need to compare to columns and indicate the matches in another

 am wanting to compare 2 columns for exact matching.  If there are two
matching items I want to be able to say "A match" in a chosen cell for all
the ones that match.  Column C will be retrived in an random order... so how
would I write the formula for that?????

Example:
 A                B               C
               45time        11tune
A match   11tune        89time
               47doog       43jkjkj
A match   123ABC       123ABC

If possible include how to highlight the ones that make as another option.
Thanks

0
IFIXPCS (1)

Try something like this:

For a value list in B1:B5 and a new list in C1:C10:

Assuming that by "exact match" you mean that 11TUNE does NOT equal 11tune:
A1: =IF(SUMPRODUCT(--EXACT($C$1:$C$10,B1))>0,"A Match","NO Match")
Copy that formula down as far as you need.

However, if 11TUNE DOES equal 11tune:
Then A1: =IF(ISNA(MATCH(B1,C:C,0)),"NO Match","A Match")
Copy that formula down as far as you need.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"IFIXPCS" wrote:

>  am wanting to compare 2 columns for exact matching.  If there are two
> matching items I want to be able to say "A match" in a chosen cell for all
> the ones that match.  Column C will be retrived in an random order... so how
> would I write the formula for that?????
>
> Example:
>  A                B               C
>                45time        11tune
> A match   11tune        89time
>                47doog       43jkjkj
> A match   123ABC       123ABC
>
> If possible include how to highlight the ones that make as another option.
> Thanks

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Graph
Hi, Here is the problem - There is a graph I have to create, based on the following information: I have projects names, and each project has the following data: 1. Estimated cost. 2. Actual cost. 3.Status, which can be one of 3: a. over with b. in progress c. per demand I need to put the data on a 3D column graph, in a way that each project will have 2 columns that compare estimated and actual cost, but the problem is I also need to put some kind of an attribute on every project which reflects its status. How do I do that? Thanks in advance, Chen. Chen - I'd suggest a 2D chart type in...

Match value in one column and return value in same row in next col
Hi, I have a a set of values in A1 through A100. I need to look up each value and find a match in another set of values located in C1 through C200. If a match is found then I need the formula located in column B to return the value in the same row but the next column over (D). Example: A B C D 359 375 10012 456 125 10031 125 10031 952 10052 854 444 10017 The formula located in B3 should find that the value of 125 (located in A3) matches the value in C2 and returns 10031 which is the v...

Make typing "jump" to matching item(s) in drop-down list?
Is there any way to make a drop-down list work so that typing causes a "jump" to a matching item in the list? For example, if the list includes "chair," can it be formatted so that typing c-h- brings up "chair" in the drop-down list? This would be a huge time-saver in lengthy drop-down lists. We can make Access do it--can Excel? If you show the Control toolbox toolbar (view|Toolbars), you can add a Combobox from that toolbar. Rightclick on it and choose properties. You'll be able to set the linkedcell, listfillrange, style, and matchentry properties to...

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Another recordset problem!
Hello All I had some help with a recordset problem recently (many thanks Stefan and Daryl!), but now have another. I just get "Error 3135 Syntax error in JOIN operation" with the following: Set rsNIC = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset( _ "SELECT staffs.*, months.*, [NI tables 2010].*" & _ " FROM ((staffs RIGHT JOIN ([NI tables 2010] RIGHT JOIN months" & _ " ON [NI tables 2010].[NI letter] = staffs.[NI code])" & _ " ON [NI tables 2010].niSet = months.nicset)" & _ " WHERE (((mon...

Table Columns/Expanding Cell Width
I was creating my first table in Word 2007. I used Insert->Tables- >Tables. When I typed in text, the column kept expanding and the text did not wrap until it hit the end of the line and the adjacent cells were compacted to their margins. Then I did Table Tools->Auto Fit->Fixed Column Width and the column width stayed the same and wrapped. So now I create a new file and the do a table. Now the column width stayed the same. Not that I would want the initial behavior of columns expanding---why does it no longer appear? ...

Macro help needed........

Link to a cell in another workbook by name rather than absolute c.
I need to get data from a total cell in one worksheet into a cell in another worksheet. Because the source worksheet will have lines added to it, I wanted to reference the cell by its row and column label (e.g. "Jan Sales"), rather than by an absolute cell reference. I tried several variations and keep getting the #REF and #NAME errors. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks. Name the actual cell and then reference the cell's name. -- Cutter ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/membe...

Need to test a mobo

Compare Investments
When I try to compare one investment with another I get a 'loading' message but then nothing. I can still click on other icons and do other things. Any ideas, anyone? ...

How do capture the first three characters from one cell to another cell
"AGC4039" is in cell 1. I want cell 2 to grab the first thre characters from cell 1 so it will display "AGC" Anybody know if excel can do this? Thanks for your help! Ale -- ExcelAle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ExcelAlex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1555 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27129 =LEFT(cell1,3) works dandy -- jared ----------------------------------------------------------------------- jaredh's Profile: http://www.excelfor...

Pivot Chart and combination with another chart
Is it possible to combine pivot chart and to input another one ? For example: I make one pivot chart - some item consumption every day but I need to input some target level to be reached .. it means how to combine these two charts to show how it is pivot chart reaching daily a target ? Thanks / Juraj ...

Compare 1 cell to column of cells returning adjacent cells info?
I want to compare the value in one cell to another column of cells in another work sheet and once the matching value is found I wan to return a different cells value that is on the same line as the matching cell. Example Sheet 1 value is 34 in B6, so I want it to search Sheet 3 colum J for the value 34 which is found on row 351. When a match is found the value returned needs to be from colum O so this would be O351. Does anybody know how to setup this function? You are describing the VLOOKUP() function =VLOOKUP(B6,'Sheet 3'!$J$1:$0$500,6,0) "Mr. Fine"...

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

need help badly

I need Help

adding columns past IV
Is it possible to expand columns in excel past IV? If so how? Can it go to ZZ? beyond?? Help Danno, Take a look at your other post in excel.worksheet.functions Sorry to say, a consensus has been reached and the answer is a resounding NO. Dan E "danno" <drobert@winnipeg.ca> wrote in message news:26b9201c38ea2$9185ff70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to expand columns in excel past IV? > If so how? > > Can it go to ZZ? beyond?? > Help Not in Excel "danno" <drobert@winnipeg.ca> wrote in message news:26b9201c38ea2$9185ff70$a601280a@phx...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed