How to populate one sheet with data from another sheet

I have 2 sheets in the excel file.
On the first sheet the first colum is a part num only.
The second sheet has part num on the first column and descriptions on the
second column.
I need a macro or script that will scan the second sheet for part num that
matches
the first sheet part num and populate the description(at the second column)
on the first excel sheet.

--
KH
0

One way ..

Assuming the reference data is in Sheet2, cols A and B
col A = part#, col B = description

In Sheet1
-----------
With col A containing part# in A2 down,

Put in B2:

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A2,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!A:B,2,0))

Copy down

Col B will return the descriptions corresponding
to the part# in col A.

Unmatched part#s will return blanks: ""

Adapt to suit ..
--
Rgds
Max
"KH" <khpuah_sg@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message
> I have 2 sheets in the excel file.
> On the first sheet the first colum is a part num only.
> The second sheet has part num on the first column and descriptions on the
> second column.
> I need a macro or script that will scan the second sheet for part num that
> matches
> the first sheet part num and populate the description(at the second
column)
> on the first excel sheet.
>

> --
> KH

0
demechanik (4694)

Condition is true in one cell, give me same condition in another
Have a problem. See below. If a condition or value is true in one cell, I need the same conditio or value to appear in another cell. If cell A1 = "N", then give me a "N" in cell C1. Problem is, I need to write the formula in cell D1 due t specifications in workbook. Any Ideas? T -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi not possible with formulas. Formulas can only return a value but can't change the values of other cells. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Have a problem. See below. > > If a condition or value is true in one cel...

How do I stop text from automatically filling another text box?
When I type in one box, the same text appears in another box. How do I unlink them? Someone answered my questions but the link isn't working so I can't see the response. Please answer again. Edit, Undo Synchronize. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Chicago" <Chicago@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:650076B3-99E6-4043-993C-7171FA4D0396@microsoft.com... > When I type in one box, the same text appears in another box. How do I > unlink them? > > Someone answered my...

Typed Data Set and relations
I've a fairly complex schema which I'm trying to create a typed data set for. I've had a number of issues to date but it is sort of working (e.g. elements are not considered nullable unless minOccurs="0" is present. If not the codegen:nullValue attribute is ignored). What I'm seeing at the moment is that if I do NOT add in key and key ref relations, the cs generated puts in sensibly named relations with appropriate accessors. But they don't work. If I put in explicit key refs I get pairs of relations defined for each 'real' relation. The ones added c...

Populating Excel from CSV
Hello all, I need to know how to populate an Excel template with data from a external CSV file. Let's say I have this nice pretty colourful templat that is far more pleasing to the eye than the usual chunk of importe CSV data, what are some methods to populate it with data from a CS file?? Any ideas or suggestions or redirections would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance : -- AJMorgan59 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AJMorgan591's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2777 View this thread: http://www.ex...

How do I get a page reduced to print on one page instead of tiles #2
-- Julia ...

One Command button for different reports
I have two controls, among others, on a particular form. One control ‘ContractNumber’ represents the specific customer (their phone number) and the ‘ContractType’ which represents the specific report. I have 5 reports, none of the reports are the same. Based on the ‘ContractNumber’ I would like to have a command button open the ‘ContractType’ for the particular customer. I realize I can have command buttons, one for each report and have a parameter query use the ‘ContractNumber’ to call up the specific report. I want one button to open different reports, say ‘Click to view customers C...

Recipient Policies with more than one condition
Hi Guys, I'm having trouble with this one see if you can help me out When I create a new Recipient Policy in Exchange 2003 SP2, and I have already setup groups and users. if I add more than one condition for that domain policy it displays nothing. for example If I created @testdomain.com, Then create users and groups with a description as testusers. Then when I setup the Recipient Policy and go into the modify option, click on advance tab and enter more than one condition for user and then group click find nothing appears? It's like you can only do one or the other Groups or User...

can I make a bell curve from this data?
A colleague at work asked if I could put some simple Excel data into a bell curve. I don't know what I'm doing, math-wise, and I don't know if my data even lends itself to a bell curve. Here it is: We have 19 cars in our division. There are usually 3 cars that are driven a lot and 3 that don't get driven much, so we periodically rotate the highs and lows so that mileage somewhat evens out. So what I have is the annual mileage for each car. My colleague is hoping this will look great on a graph. Can this be put into a bell curve format? Or would some faux work-around make it l...

How do I validate data using different lists based on the data in.
How do I validate data using different lists based on the data in another cell? There are instructions here for dependent data validation lists: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html Shannon wrote: > How do I validate data using different lists based on the data in another cell? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

One Click Backup
I own multiple computers (6 PC's; yeah I know that's too much). There should be an easier way to transfer my settings from one computer to the other. I carry around my USB everywhere with all my files so it would be great to load my settings from the USB, or have it linked to my hotmail and just load the settings there. For me to change something in Outlook, I currently have to change it 6X for everything. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "...

how do i bring a visual basic form to the spread sheet?
Hi, I have created a form using teh developer tab in excel in vb. The problem is anytime I want to access the form i need to go to the developer tab, click on vb and run it frorm there. What I would like to do is to bring the form to the spreadsheet so that I can run it directly from there. or better yet, be able to run the form independently of the spreadhseet. is that a possibility? Thanks a lot for your help, Maryam add a button to the spreadsheet and attach the code UserForm1.show 'or whatever the form name is You will not be able to run the form independant of ...

Sequence Not populated for the MO Numbers during Data Collection
When data collection is done for the MO Numbers by using the Data Collection Window under Manufaturing, the Sequnce look up does not show the whole list, it only shows NOTES, for the user to select and enter the necessary data. why does this happen in the case of some MO Numbers and in the others it shows all the sequnces as NOTES,MAKE READY, PRESS RUN, WASH UP, MAINTENANCE, REPAIRS, REWIND/INSPECTION, etc. Any information would be much appreciated -- Thanks AshaM It should show all of the router steps. Are some of your steps possibly marked to backflush labor? These steps would not...

Formula and Data Entry in a Single Cell
I have a drop down box that allows a user to chose from two options that govern certain formulas in my spreadsheet. If the first option is chosen, I want the result of a specific cell to be determined through a formula in that cell (simple enough), and if the second option is chosen, I want to be able to enter data into that same cell without deleting or changing the formula that is used if the first option is chosen. Is it possible to effectively "send back" or hide a formula in a cell without deleting or altering it to allow for data entry in the same cell depending on whi...

Just one day......
My Inbox on Outlook 2003 would no longer send/receive messages. I made no changes, I did nothing different, and my calendar works just fine. It just stopped working one day. I contacted my ISP and they could find nothing wrong. My router is set up correctly, my Internet works like it is supposed to, and I am able to get my messages via the ISP website. Since I have been having these Outlook problems, I have been getting my messages automatically through Eudora, but need to get my Outlook fixed. Does anyone know what on earth could be wrong? I have been getting the following me...

One step paste of XLS file name in one of its own cells
Is there a way to automatically paste the file name of an open excel file into one of its own cells. I can paste the file name of a Word Document with a couple of easy steps into a Word document but cannot find a way to do so in Excel. Thanks SeeThomas Hi, Put this formula in a cell. It only works if the workbook has been saved =MID(CELL("filename",A1),1+FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1)),FIND(".",CELL("filename",A1))-FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))-1) -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, ...

Can I protect data in a cell, but allow comments to be entered.
Hi All, I have an excel sheet in which I have some protected cells and unprotected cells. The protected cells are protected so that the forumla within them cannot be edited/removed, however, I would like all users to be able to insert comments in these fields. The edit objects selection when protecting the sheet allows for comment entry, but it also allows the user to alter the data in the cell. Any solutions/ advise on this would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks Chris Sheet is not protected. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Co...

how do populate empty cells with the contents of populated cells .
I have this worksheet problem. The work sheet is thousands of rows long. One of my columns has cells not populated. I would like to get any empty cell in this column to populate itself with the contents of the next populated cell below it? Kind of a "find and replace" action where by an empty cell says to it self;"I'm going fill myself in with the next thing I find below me" I would greatly appreciate if someone can relate how to do this. Thanks Jim, Select the column, use Edit | Go To... Special , Blanks, OK. Then type an equal sign, press the down arrow...

How to combine multiple org chart files into one Visio doc?
I am new to Visio. I would like to create one document with many pages (created from Excel sheet data/Org Chart Wizard Feature). What is the best way to do this? This is one way, perhaps not the best, in Visio 2007, you can start a new drawing using the Org Chart Wizard: (Tool Bar)>File>New>Business>Org Chart Wizard. Follow the directions are you create a chart on Page-1. You may rename the page if you like. Then, for each succeeding chart import, you need to add a new page: (Tool Bar)>Insert>New Page. For each new page, you can import the new org chart using...

Autoplay for Pictures Not Populated
I inserted my XD card in to my card reader today and the autoplay pop up window asking what I wanted Windows to do was blank. For Video, Music and Mixed content the options are there but not for Pictures - it is just blank. I have tried running autofix.exe but this has not fixed it. Any ideas? Is this a Microsoft problem or has something else caused this? It worked fine until today. Thanks. Peachypumpkin wrote: > I inserted my XD card in to my card reader today and the autoplay > pop up window asking what I wanted Windows to do was blank. For > Video, Music and Mi...

how do i arrange survey data best for a pivot table?
There are pivot table instructions and links on Jon Peltier's web site: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm Mormonchick wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

need two email accounts for two phones on one computer
My wife and I have just bought an iphone each after a recent burglary. We are trying to maintain separate contacts. Apple advice was to set up a new user for my wife to stop us synching with each others contacts etc. I've et my wife up as a new user but don't know how to set up outlook with separate outlook account so that we can get our own emails and maintain our own contacts. I did manage to set up a replica outlook email account but it generally means we get the same emails in each account. Is it possible for us both to have a separate outlook installation under ...

Copy one Column Across One Row
Hey guys, I would like to take one column of data and copy it across one row., so, I want the data to go left to right across the spreadsheet instead of top to bottom. If you have a suggestion to solve this, macro or whatever, could you please email it to me at: krea@dslextreme.com thanks, kevin rea Kevin If the column contains no more than 255 rows of data(256 if you are pasting below row 256) you can copy it and select B1 and Paste Special>Transpose>OK>Esc. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:23:46 -0700, <krea@dslextreme.com> wrote: >Hey guys, > &g...

Link Data from several colums into a single one and sort
I want to link data from three columns into a seperate single one and sort them all out. The data in the three columns is generated by formulas. I'm not sure what that means, but maybe you could use a formula like: =a1&"|"&b1&"|"&c1 and drag down The | character should be a unique character (not used in your real data) that separates each field. Chimako wrote: > > I want to link data from three columns into a seperate single one and sort > them all out. The data in the three columns is generated by formulas. -- Dave Pe...

Need to display 4 sets of data on one x-axis with 4 repeating y a.
In Microsoft Excel, is it possible to display sets of data (say 4) directly above/below each other. I.e. is it possible to 'stack' plots on top of each other in one large plot in excel. All data sets share the same x - axis, but 4 different y axis are stacked on top of each other? Jon Peltier has instructions for this: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/StackedCharts.html Maria wrote: > In Microsoft Excel, is it possible to display sets of data (say 4) directly > above/below each other. I.e. is it possible to 'stack' plots on top of each > other in o...

Set Field Value Based on Entry in another field
Access 2003 and total noob here. Sorry - I can't seem to find anything that answers my question through searches here...maybe I'm too new so I don't recognize the solution when I see it. I have a form where users select their organization name from a menu. The menu is populated from a query against the organization table. The organization table has three columns (ID (pk), ORGNAME, ORGID). The ORGID is a two character acronym for the organization. I need to populate a hidden field on the form with the ORGID based on the selection made in the Org Name menu. How do...