How to open a file in another window?

Hi All,

Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
I was able to open the second, third, etc.
excel files simply by dragging its name
to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
two or more files in separate windows.
Now it is not possible so using more than
one file in the same time is really difficult.

Could you help me please?

Regards
Tom
0
tom5095 (21)

Review the settings in...   Big Round Button | Excel Options | Advanced | Display (section)
"Show all windows in the Taskbar" should be check marked.

Note:  especially with the low volume of posts, it is not necessary or desirable to post in multiple
groups.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Tom" <tom@tom.com>
wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
> I was able to open the second, third, etc.
> excel files simply by dragging its name
> to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
> two or more files in separate windows.
> Now it is not possible so using more than
> one file in the same time is really difficult.
>
> Could you help me please?
>
> Regards
> Tom

Thank you very much.

> Review the settings in...   Big Round Button | Excel Options | Advanced |
> Display (section)
> "Show all windows in the Taskbar" should be check marked.
It is check marked. But it is not the point.
The names of files are on the Taskbar but they can be displayed only
in the same place on the screen. When I klick on one of the names
the another one is dropped onto the taskbar and viceversa.
I can't see content od 2 or more files in the same time. In consequence,
for example, copying from file to file is very difficult.

> Note:  especially with the low volume of posts, it is not necessary
> or desirable to post in multiple groups.
OK. Sorry.

Regards
Tom

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
>> I was able to open the second, third, etc.
>> excel files simply by dragging its name
>> to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
>> two or more files in separate windows.
>> Now it is not possible so using more than
>> one file in the same time is really difficult.
>>
>> Could you help me please?
>>
>> Regards
>> Tom

0
tom5095 (21)
3/30/2012 4:22:29 PM
Sounds like previously, you were opening separate instances of Excel.
You may prefer to keep both workbooks displayed in the same window...
With both workbooks open, Go to the Ribbon View tab and in the Windows group and click "View Side by
Side"
Also note the options under "Arrange All" and "Synchronous Scrolling"
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
(XL Companion add-in:  compares, matches, counts, lists, finds, deletes...)

> Thank you very much.
>
>> Review the settings in...   Big Round Button | Excel Options | Advanced | Display (section)
>> "Show all windows in the Taskbar" should be check marked.
> It is check marked. But it is not the point.
> The names of files are on the Taskbar but they can be displayed only
> in the same place on the screen. When I klick on one of the names
> the another one is dropped onto the taskbar and viceversa.
> I can't see content od 2 or more files in the same time. In consequence,
> for example, copying from file to file is very difficult.
>
>> Note:  especially with the low volume of posts, it is not necessary
>> or desirable to post in multiple groups.
> OK. Sorry.
>
> Regards
> Tom
>

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Before reinstalling the Ms Office 2007
>>> I was able to open the second, third, etc.
>>> excel files simply by dragging its name
>>> to the Excel icon on the screen. So I had
>>> two or more files in separate windows.
>>> Now it is not possible so using more than
>>> one file in the same time is really difficult.
>>>
>>> Could you help me please?
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Tom

It is diffucult for me to describe my problem precisely.
I want to have 2 Excel files in 2 separate windows,
that's all.
I don't want to have the files in 1 window -  side by side
or one under one.

What is strange for me, I installed the MS Office 2007
4 or 5 times before this time and such problem never
happened.

Regards
Tom

> Sounds like previously, you were opening separate instances of Excel.
> You may prefer to keep both workbooks displayed in the same window...
> With both workbooks open, Go to the Ribbon View tab and in the Windows
> group and click "View Side by Side"
> Also note the options under "Arrange All" and "Synchronous Scrolling"
> --
> Jim Cone
> Portland, Oregon USA
> http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
> (XL Companion add-in:  compares, matches, counts, lists, finds,
> deletes...)
>

> "Tom" <tom@tom.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you very much.
>>
>>> Review the settings in...   Big Round Button | Excel Options | Advanced
>>> "Show all windows in the Taskbar" should be check marked.
>> It is check marked. But it is not the point.
>> The names of files are on the Taskbar but they can be displayed only
>> in the same place on the screen. When I klick on one of the names
>> the another one is dropped onto the taskbar and viceversa.
>> I can't see content od 2 or more files in the same time. In consequence,
>> for example, copying from file to file is very difficult.
>>
>>> Note:  especially with the low volume of posts, it is not necessary
>>> or desirable to post in multiple groups.
>> OK. Sorry.
>>
>> Regards
>> Tom

0
tom5095 (21)
3/30/2012 4:55:16 PM
You might have had some sort of  workspace file.xlw - it displays saved files & window arrangements.
Also,
First... in Excel Options, try check marking "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data
Exchange".
Second... just open two separate instances of Excel and arrange the windows as you like.
Third... there is a method in Windows Explorer in Windows XP to have each file open in a separate
instance of Excel.
'---
Open Windows Explorer
Select �Tools�
Select �Folder Options�
Select the �File Types� Tab
Scroll down and select the appropriate file extension
Click the �Advanced� Button
Select the �Open� action from the list
Click the �Edit�� Button
Where is says �Application used to perform action:�
(make a copy of the existing text and save it)
If not already there, add:
/e �%1?

to the end of the file path
Uncheck the �Use DDE� box
Click OK
Click OK
'---
I've read that the above has been hobbled in Vista and Windows 7 - I am on XP.
If none of the above applies/works then wait for a day to see if others will contribute.  If not
repost in Excel.Misc.
'---
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
(Formats & Styles xl add-in:  lists/removes unused styles & number formats) - free

> It is diffucult for me to describe my problem precisely.
> I want to have 2 Excel files in 2 separate windows,
> that's all.
> I don't want to have the files in 1 window -  side by side
> or one under one.
>
> What is strange for me, I installed the MS Office 2007
> 4 or 5 times before this time and such problem never
> happened.
>
> Regards
> Tom
>
>> Sounds like previously, you were opening separate instances of Excel.
>> You may prefer to keep both workbooks displayed in the same window...
>> With both workbooks open, Go to the Ribbon View tab and in the Windows group and click "View Side
>> by Side"
>> Also note the options under "Arrange All" and "Synchronous Scrolling"
>> --
>> Jim Cone
>> Portland, Oregon USA
>> http://www.mediafire.com/PrimitiveSoftware
>> (XL Companion add-in:  compares, matches, counts, lists, finds, deletes...)
>>

>> "Tom" <tom@tom.com> wrote in message
>>> Thank you very much.

>>> It is check marked. But it is not the point.
>>> The names of files are on the Taskbar but they can be displayed only
>>> in the same place on the screen. When I klick on one of the names
>>> the another one is dropped onto the taskbar and viceversa.
>>> I can't see content od 2 or more files in the same time. In consequence,
>>> for example, copying from file to file is very difficult.

>>> OK. Sorry.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Tom

Thank you once again.

> Third... there is a method in Windows Explorer in Windows XP
> to have each file open in a separate instance of Excel.
How to do it?

> Open Windows Explorer
> Select �Tools�
> Select �Folder Options�
> Select the �File Types� Tab
> Scroll down and select the appropriate file extension
> Click the �Advanced� Button
> Select the �Open� action from the list
> Click the �Edit�� Button
> Where is says �Application used to perform action:�
> (make a copy of the existing text and save it)
> If not already there, add:
> /e �%1?
>
> to the end of the file path
> Uncheck the �Use DDE� box
> Click OK
> Click OK
Unfortunately, it didn't help. :-(

I think that the problem is more general and is connected
with dragging and dropping method.
Usually I opened the second file by dragging the name to
the Excel icon. Now instead of oppenning the file,
a mark like this ? near the name of the file occurs.
I noticed that the same happens with Word files.

Regards
Tom

0
tom5095 (21)
3/30/2012 6:16:16 PM
> a mark like this ? near the name of the file occurs.
It is not "?" mark of course. It is a mark of circle
with a line accross,  a ban mark probably.

Tom
0
tom5095 (21)
3/30/2012 6:19:03 PM
> If not already there, add:
> /e �%1?
>
> to the end of the file path
> Uncheck the �Use DDE� box
/e already was there. I added %1 and unchecked the Use DDE.
As I said, it didn't help.
Then I noticed that the Use DDE is all the time checked.

Now it is /e %1 and Use DDE checked and I can't get rid of it.

Regards
Tom

0
tom5095 (21)
3/30/2012 7:13:04 PM
>> If not already there, add:
>> /e �%1?
>>
>> to the end of the file path
>> Uncheck the �Use DDE� box

> /e already was there. I added %1 and unchecked the Use DDE.
> As I said, it didn't help.
> Then I noticed that the Use DDE is all the time checked.
>
> Now it is /e %1 and Use DDE checked and I can't get rid of it.

I got back to the system before the change
so  now I have only /e and checked Use DDE.

Regards
Tom

0
tom5095 (21)
3/30/2012 7:20:45 PM
For the record, something got lost between the sending and the receiving.
That question mark ? on the end should be a quotation mark - so as to read:     /e "%1"
'---
Jim Cone

>>> If not already there, add:
>>> /e �%1?
>>>
>>> to the end of the file path
>>> Uncheck the �Use DDE� box
>
>> /e already was there. I added %1 and unchecked the Use DDE.
>> As I said, it didn't help.
>> Then I noticed that the Use DDE is all the time checked.
>>
>> Now it is /e %1 and Use DDE checked and I can't get rid of it.
>
> I got back to the system before the change
> so  now I have only /e and checked Use DDE.
>
> Regards
> Tom

The below was sent: 2012-03-30  20:19 (+02.00)

> a mark like this ? near the name of the file occurs.
It is not "?" mark of course. It is a mark of circle
with a line accross,  a ban mark probably.

Tom
0
tom5095 (21)
4/1/2012 6:27:13 AM
The problem has been solved!

It didn't work when the shortcut (icon) of Excel
program was made from Start menu.
When I made the shortcut (icon) from .exe file
in Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
everything is OK.

Thank you very much for all your answers.

Regards
Tom
0
tom5095 (21)

What is the correspondence to SqlDataSource in windows
Hello! The SqlDataSource Class is a part of System.Web Assembly and used by data-bound controls in ASP.NET Can somebody tell me what is the nearest correspondence to SqlDataSource in windows form //Tony "Tony Johansson" <johansson.andersson@telia.com> wrote in news:fTbWm.13647$U5.204106@newsb.telia.net: > The SqlDataSource Class is a part of System.Web Assembly and used by > data-bound controls in ASP.NET > > Can somebody tell me what is the nearest correspondence to > SqlDataSource in windows > form SqlDataSource is a wrapper ...

Help: Formula put into entire row creates large file size
Hi, I have a spreadsheet where I would like one column to be the concatenation of two other columns. For example, in column C I would have =A1&B1. This excel file will be given to people and they will fill in values into columns A and B. The trick is, I don't know how many rows there will be, so I don't know how many rows in column C should have this formula. If I paste this formula into the entire column C, the excel file blows up to 3 megabytes. (It's only 15KB without this column). Are there ways for me to accomplish this more efficiently? Thanks for any help Are y...

Windows server 2000 strange crash
Hi, i have a strange problem in my network, 1 dc 2000 server which is also dhcp server and dns server ,and 1 member server 2003 acting as fileserver. When rebooting the dc, it will work properly. Running dcdiag and netdiag will not show any problems, all tests passing, no errors, no warnings. But after 14 hours (at night when nobodys working), the DC simple stops findind himself...running netdiag gives dc_list and ldap errors, dcdiag wont even run, gives just an error 31 with ldap. After this, i get replication errors, problems with connectivity, leading to server stop responding...

Drawing info from another source document
Excel can 'gather' and update info into a formula, and use hyperlinks, but I had a Dos program called LUCID that could not only gather the information, but you could travel back and forth between the pages by using the <+> or <->. Is there any shortcut like that in Excel? If by "pages" you mean "worksheets", use CTRL + Pageup or Pagedown to go to next or previous sheet. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 1 Jul 2005 12:59:04 -0700, "denny" <denny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Excel can 'gather' and update info into a fo...

Save charts as Windows Metafiles
This has undoubtedly been asked before, but: Is there a method, plug-in tool, VB script or something that enables you to save Excel graphs as WMF or EMF files? Without first copy-pasting it into some drawing program and saving it there? Ideally, one would copy the graph to the clipboard, and then be able to access a dialogue direclty from/in Excel that lets you save it as a WMF file. Thanks for any suggestions you can provide! Jeroen Dekker jeroen@square1.nl ...

Corrupt Access 2003 File
I was working on this file earlier today, I even just opened it and it was fine and all of a sudden there is a write delay to the save the file, I closed it and I try opening it again and it is corrupted. I don't get it. The message I am getting is below. What does that mean. I just finished making a lost of update to the file. The last time I backed it up was Tuesday, and I have done a lot of work to it between then and now. I don't have the time to go back and redo all that work again. Any help will be appreciated. "Microsoft Office Access has detected corruption in this ...

Querying MS Access from C# on stored file paths
Hi folks, I'm storing some particulars about file usage in my MS Access database, incl. the full paths of those files. I tried to query the database in my C# code. My idea was to retrieve from the database by means of SQL when a file was used the last time, but I only know the directory it is in, so in my code I tried to construct a WHERE clause as follows: String whereClause = "WHERE Filename LIKE '" + dirpath + "*'"; Of course I'm working on Windows and I don't want to think of portability now. Obviously, the variable dirpath contains double...

help
I have some texts files, which i want to read in each line, and then write back each line to a new text file. So for example, I want to read in the 2 lines below: "C:\Data\=D3=EA=D2=B9=D0=C7=BF=D5",6,10,3,3,8 "",0,0,0,318.592,83.04552 I store each line of data in the following vector: std::vector<CString> FileData; So FileData[0] =3D ""C:\Data\=D3=EA=D2=B9=D0=C7=BF=D5",6,10,3,3,8" FileData[1] =3D """,0,0,0,318.592,83.04552" (the data is in the vector correctly) Then I go to write the data to a new text file... FILE ...

Converting XLS file to QIF or to OFX
How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? "dreamchaser" wrote: > How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? In Excel, save the file to CSV and ustilise iCreateOFX Basic from: http://icreateofx.co.uk/Convert-CSV-to-OFX to convert the saved CSV file to OFX. ...

I received a .pub doc. How do I open it?
I have XP Pro...... Hi redcaver2003 (redcaver2003@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have XP Pro...... 1. Open Microsoft Publisher 2. Go to File > Open and browse to the location on your harddrive where you saved the file 3. Click Open. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Unless you have Publisher you won't be able to open it. Choices: Get Publisher Have the sender use another method, i.e., convert to pdf. -- D...

changing Exchange primary windows account
How To change primary Windows Account in exchange 5.5 mailbox, I have 3000 mailboxes in exchange 5.5 server. I want to change the primary windows account of all the users. can anybody suggest the faster way to do it.does anybody hv any tool. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;155414 Sri wrote: > How To change primary Windows Account in exchange 5.5 > mailbox, I have 3000 mailboxes in exchange 5.5 server. > I want to change the primary windows account of all the > users. > can anybody suggest the faster way to do it.does anybody > hv any tool. ...

Using Powerpoint 2007
PPS files on webpage open as PPT using PowerPoint 2007. Don't have this same issue when opening the same link from an Office 2003 computer, they run the show only. -- Miroshak ...

execute batch file does not execute all command lines
I am using the following code to execute a batch file which contains multiple commands, each on a separate line. Each command-line creates a file. What I am finding is that only some of the files are being created ( 7 out of 11 ). If I then run the batch file directly ( either by double-clicking, or pasting its path into cmd.exe window ), all files are created ( 11 out of 11 ). private void executeBatchFile(string pathBatchFile, string pathWorkingDirectory, Label outputDump) { ...

Opening LInks in Email
I am not able to open address links when they are sent as part of an email. Can this feature be activated? TIA Eric Aloha ecm, Probably. We need a lot more information about your setup to tell you how, though. To start with What version of Outlook are you using? -Ben- Ben M. Schorr - MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm > I am not able to open address links when they are sent as part of an > email. Can this feature be activated? > > TIA > Eri I'm using ver 6 Outlook Express. ...

Precompiled headers and source files in subdirectory
Hello, I'm using MSVC++ 8.0 SP1 on WinXP Pro and I have a simple, app-wizard generated MFC application. It was using precompiled headers to speed up build times (as is the default), but when I tried to move the c++ source files to a subdirectory "src" to in the project/solution directory, I can't build the program anymore without disabling precompiled headers. I get these errors: error C2859: c:\coding\msvc\toolbar-demo\debug\vc80.pdb is not the pdb file that was used when this precompiled header was created, recreate the precompiled header. error C2859: c:\coding\msvc...

What's the name of the file that stores AutoComplete addresses
My Outlook had to be re-installed and I lost my contact list which is very large. I see several files in the recycle bin. Is one of them by contacts? Autocomplete cache is an NK2 file, named for your profile, often outlook.nk2. Paste the following line in the address bar of windows explorer; %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and it will open to the folder where its stored. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subsc...

Opening Text Files and Re-Saving Them
Hi. I am trying to write some code which will allow a user to select a folder and then will open all of the text files in that folder and re-save them as excel files. I have sorted out the code to enable the user to select the folder they wish to use, but am looking some assistance on the looping to enable each of the text files to be opened and re-saved. Can anyone suggest how I might do this. Thanks. If the text files are all the same, you could record a macro that Opens, saves as an excel file, and closes the file. Then that recorded macro could be modified to open...

the system cannot find the file specified outlook 2003 #2
Attachments show up in emails, but when you try to open them, the messages comes up "the system cannot find the file specified", but other recipiants on same email can open theirs. ...

unable to open outlook #4
I have microsoft outook 2002. I can no longer open it. It has hour glass icon and freezes. After ending task it asks to start the outlook program in safe mode. That also failed. Where can get help? Please advice. sp See http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/outlookdoesntstart.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "sp" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05d201c48fe9$bf767560$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I have m...

Outlook 2003 Can't Open Item MS OFFICE FAILED
Yikes, I'm having a real problem. I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 Home Edition Office 2003 with Service Pack 2 (only have Outlook and Word installed) Toshiba Notebook M15-S405 Satellite Pro 1.4 ghz with 512 mgs ram I woke up one morning and saw that I had a stop error window open on my computer explaining that Windows had encountered some kind of driver error and that windows had to restart. Windows offered that I review my system for serious errors. That is a very sad thing to wake up to. So I ran a chkdsk and defragged and a virus check. No problems there. I checked my ...

Windows Explorer may quit unexpectedly.
Does anyone have the fix? kbWinXPpreSP2fix kbfix kbbug KB810806 just go to this link http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810806 looks like you have to contact MS support but they should waive the charge if its just a bug fix you are after "Ed" <ed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:099901c37f35$2570a780$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone have the fix? kbWinXPpreSP2fix kbfix kbbug > KB810806 ...

Book problems and solution for windows 7 09-23-10
Book problems and solution for windows 7 SBN: 978-1-4461-4031-4 / Copyright: ilias el issaoui / Language: English /page : 460 / file : pdf This book takes you step by step to a new world. The world of Windows 7, even if the new system were not know how to use it. Explain everything to you in pictures. You do not need to for a long time to learn In order not to remain afraid of not being able to follow up on your friends, neighbors or family members Problems and solutions for Windows 7 Is a book for all. To small and great. Anyone who wants to learn Do not miss the opportuni...

trouble opening office 2003 excel files
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am having difficulty opening Excel files that were created in the 2003 version withthe 2008 version. The files were originally created on a windows XP machine, then imported into a Mac using Office 2003 under system 10.4. The files are rather large, approximately 60 columns by 10,000 rows. I haad no difficulty in working with the files between the Windows and Mac systems. I recently got a new MacBook Pro with an Intel processor and installed Office 2008. When I try to read these large Excel files on my new lap...

odd files created
Every time I open and edit an excel spreadsheet on a network share, small odd files get created. They are usually no larger than 25-40k and don't have any extensions to them. Looking at the properties page for any file, the file description says File. Anyone know what this is from or how to get rid of them? Permissions are setup correctly for me, Word files don't have this behavior. Excel 2000 SP3 Thanks, Hi Brian, A file the same size as the workbook would be created in the same directory as the workbook. The filename would be nonsensical (or appear to be random) character...