How to NOT enter dates?

Hi,

I've just started using Excel for Windows.

Initially, it interpreted every value I entered as a date.

I then went to format cells and tried everything, "text", "number",
various "custom" settings. The only thing that changed was that whole
numbers were correctly displayed, but numbers with decimals would come
out as this huge number (e.g. I enter 1.25, it comes out as 4938) -
which I assume is related to this dates as a sequence business in
excel.

I just want to enter a column of numbers and add them up... basic,
basic, and it's chomped an hour of my time so far.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance,
Glitz.

--
glitzernes
glitzernes's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24148

Check TOOLS -> OPTIONS -> General
and see if you have R1C1 reference style checked.

"glitzernes" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've just started using Excel for Windows.
>
> Initially, it interpreted every value I entered as a date.
>
> I then went to format cells and tried everything, "text", "number",
> various "custom" settings. The only thing that changed was that whole
> numbers were correctly displayed, but numbers with decimals would come
> out as this huge number (e.g. I enter 1.25, it comes out as 4938) -
> which I assume is related to this dates as a sequence business in
> excel.
>
> I just want to enter a column of numbers and add them up... basic,
> basic, and it's chomped an hour of my time so far.
>
> Ideas anyone?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Glitz.
>

> --
> glitzernes
> glitzernes's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24148
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377648

0
BarbR (262)
6/9/2005 2:14:05 PM
OOPS!  THis was supposed to go to another thread.

"Barb R." wrote:

> Check TOOLS -> OPTIONS -> General
> and see if you have R1C1 reference style checked.
>
> "glitzernes" wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just started using Excel for Windows.
> >
> > Initially, it interpreted every value I entered as a date.
> >
> > I then went to format cells and tried everything, "text", "number",
> > various "custom" settings. The only thing that changed was that whole
> > numbers were correctly displayed, but numbers with decimals would come
> > out as this huge number (e.g. I enter 1.25, it comes out as 4938) -
> > which I assume is related to this dates as a sequence business in
> > excel.
> >
> > I just want to enter a column of numbers and add them up... basic,
> > basic, and it's chomped an hour of my time so far.
> >
> > Ideas anyone?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Glitz.
> >

> > --
> > glitzernes
> > glitzernes's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24148
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=377648

0
BarbR (262)

Why is Actual Work updated when entering time into Work Field?
We're using MS Project 2007 and seeing that sometimes when time is entered into the Work field for a task, that task's Actual Work is updated to the same value entered in the Work field. This happens to multiple resources, but only on some of their tasks and not on others. For example, for the weeks of 1/24 and 1/31, whatever hours I schedule (enter in the "work" cell in the Resource Usage View) for a given task also appears in the "actual" cell. The tasks are setup up differently. Some are Fixed Work, some are Fixed Duration. I believe all have the e...

Year to Date subquery
HI I would like assistance with creating a year to date subquery. I tried to copy the MS help example but still can't get the query to run. I have the following: Table name Orders Field Names- [ID] ( system generated primary key) , [OrdersDate], [Quantity], [UnitPrice] Query SQL - SELECT Year([Orders].[OrderDate]) AS TheYear, Month([Orders].[OrderDate]) AS TheMonth, Sum([Orders].[Quantity]*[Orders].[UnitPrice]) AS MonthAmount, (SELECT Sum(dupe.Quantity * dupe.UnitPrice) AS YTD FROM Orders AS A INNER JOIN [Orders] AS dupe ON orde...

Dates in Custom Fields
Hi, I have an end user who has created some custom date fields in a contact form. This is all good. However, if the user types in Jan 07 as a date it always saves as Jan 08. If she enters Jan 2007 then all is good. I know this is the end user being a little lazy but is there a way to change the way dates are saved to suit my end user? Thanks, Joe outlook (like excel) reads jan 07 as 1/7 current year. I know of no way to change the behavior in outlook. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.out...

Excel 2003 spreadsheet. I enter the any number and it is entered.
If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 Thank you Mary Mary, Goto Tools>Options and on the Edit tab you should see The Fixed Decimal Places box checked. Uncheck it. -- HTH RP "maryu" <maryu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65C0E0FB-43F3-4F34-8A86-FBA3F02EC9B1@microsoft.com... > If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if > I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 > Thank you > Mary ...

Filter records by date in subform by date entered in mainform.
Hello, I've spent 3 days trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.....Here is the summary of my problem. I have a form named 'frm_EfficiencyStats' and a subform within the form named 'qry_Total hours subform' (the subform is based on a query). The form contains a text box (for date) which is bound to a table 'tbl_EfficiencyStats'. I would like to be able to enter a date in the text box on my form, and display the records in the subform based on the date I entered in the text box. The subform will only pull records from my table based on the date. Here are th...

date +7
I have today's date in cell A1. IS there a way to get cell B1 to show the following week's date? One way: Dates in XL are just integer offsets from a base date, so use the + operator: B1: =A1+7 Format B1 as a date. In article <C108D314-2BED-40A9-B192-236358091660@microsoft.com>, Marlis <Marlis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have today's date in cell A1. IS there a way to get cell B1 to show the > following week's date? =A1+7 should do it. Regards Rowan "Marlis" wrote: > I have today's date in cell A1. IS there a way...

Money 2006 date format
Hi, I have bank accounts in the UK and in the US, and am trying to set up Money 2006 Deluxe to allow importing of statements from both countries. The UK banks use dd/mm/yyyy date format in their OFX files. The US banks use mm/dd/yyyy. Money seems only to handle one format - the one that the PC is set to use. As my PC is set to use US date format, the statement from my UK bank gets entered incorrectly (day and month get transversed). Ideally there should be a setting for each account to specify the date format that the bank uses, but according to Microsoft support there is not. Does anyo...

how to enter simple list and sum
using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative numbers and then create a cell with the sum of these values? if the list would look like this 0.58 -1.22 1.79 -0.56 -0.92 the output would look something like 0.58 0.58 -1.22 -0.64 1.79 1.15 -0.56 0.59 -0.92 -0.33 John In B1 enter =A1 In B2 enter =B1+A2 Copy down to B5 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 16 May 2007 06:34:13 +0300, "John" <johnj@multipl.es> wrote: >using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system >how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative...

timechart date question
Is there a way to make historical timecharts in Visio? There seems to be a limit to how far back Visio will go back? I need to chart dates 2000 - 4000 years ago and Visio seems to be limited to 1700 or 1800 onwards. Is there an option or setting to get around this? Thanks! Andrew Jones In fact, Visio is limited to Jan 1, 1900 or later. That is "0" in the date format used by Windows. You'll have to draw them "by hand"...or try to map past dates to future ones and be creative with labeling. -- Lori Pearce Longhorn SDK "Andrew Jones" <andrewmjones@hot...

Resource Units for Tasks entered in PWA differs than tasks entered in Project 2007
Hello, I have an ePM user asking why if he enters a project task in PWA does it not check the resource max units allocation the same way as when he enters a task in Project Professional. For example: You have a project where resource A is 50% allocated. When you create a task in Project Professional for this resource, the resource allocation is set to 50%. Create a task under the same project in PWA, submit and approve the task. Open project professional and view the task information for the task entered in PWA, why is the resource allocation set to 100% instead of 50% set for th...

Time and Date increment
Hi I have a date and time field (which I have formatted as dd/mm/yy hh.mm) 16/07/04 09:30 I would like to add (incrementally) an hour on to the time each day, so the first few days will be: 17/07/04 10:30 18/07/04 12:30 19/07/04 15:30 I have tried right-clicking and using the "series" function, but when I go into the "series" option I am not sure what to do. I have chosen the options step value = 1 and "growth" but it only updates the Day (dd) by one day. I can't get it to update the Hour (hh) by one hour each day. Any ideas anyone? Hi You need to ad...

Enter formula by code.
Hi All can anyone help. I cant seem to get this to work. I keep getting run time error 1004 application or object defined error. Public Sub TLIdentify() finalrow = Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("AV26:AV" & finalrow).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(OR(RC[-38]>0,RC[-32]>0,RC[-26]>0,RC[-20]>0,RC[-14]>0,RC[-8]>0,RC[-2]>0),VLOOKUP(RC4,'Team Summary'!R4C3:R16C4,2,0),"")" End Sub -- Regards and Thanks for any assistance. Francis Brown...

Setting a date in the Header
I have a report that I need to print every Friday, but the report is for the following week. So, I want it to say "For the week of: Monday, November 5, 2007." How do I calculate the date to be next Monday? IF you run the report on Friday (and never on any other day), -- Add a control to the report -- Set its source to = "For the week of " & Format(DateAdd("d",3,Date()), "Long Date") If you run the report on any other day of the week this will fail. So you might want to use = "For the week of " & Format(DateAdd("d&...

Auto Protecting cells & auto filling date
I wonder if anyone can tell me if it is possible to auto proect cells after data has been entered? Basically I have a spreadsheet that has two levels of protection - some cells are password protected and others available for all to enter data into. What I would like to achieve is once data has been entered into a row in the editable area that row becomes part of the password protected area automatically. Also is it possible to use the NOW (or similar) function to populate one cell with a date when another is filled? Ie a log entry is made in column B. When some data is entered into colum...

Entering a dollar amount w/out having to enter the decimal
What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I have to enter is the numbers? It's one of the options you can specify. In Excel 2007, it's: Excel Options...>Advanced>Automatically insert a decimal point Regards, Fred "Julieanne" <Julieanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AABE398-3B77-4ACD-8938-05ED7F5CC58E@microsoft.com... > What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I > have to enter is the numbers? ...

How to back date Resolved Cases?
Hi there, I have a situation where a user assumed that a case was resolved simply by selecting the "Completed" value in the Status Reason field. Hence, many of our cases were actually not recorded as resolved in the CRM system. If I were to resolve the cases using the Actions menu, the actual case resolution date and the one in the CRM system would definitely be different. As a result, it would give us inaccurate turnaround times in our reports. Is there a way to back date these cases once resolved? Or even alter the form so that we can input a date? Many thanks! There is no su...

How do I stop dates from being entered everytime I enter a number
Everytime I enter data in a box (ex: ages 5-9) I then press enter to go to the next cell and it automatically puts in may 9 . I have tried putting in general in formatting cells and it still does it. can someone help before I shoot this pc out the window? I am making a population pyramid with males and females and their ages. Thanks, Kicking and Screaming You can precede your entry with a single quote... '5-9 ....or format your cells as 'Text'. Hope this helps! In article <64AE5219-035D-46E3-9488-5D01F6B012FA@microsoft.com>, Kicking and Screaming <Kicking and...

Date in criteria expression
The following is giving me an error message "data type mismatch in criteria expression": If Not IsNull(DLookup("ClassDate", "tblSCC", "([ClassDate] = '" & .ClassDate & "')")) Then... Is there something tricky about a date field that I don't know about? Rip On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 17:47:49 -0400, RipperT wrote: > The following is giving me an error message "data type mismatch in criteria > expression": > > If Not IsNull(DLookup("ClassDate", "tblSCC", "([ClassDate] = '&...

entering time #2
hello all.. wondering if there is any way to do this... I have a column formatted for time as in this format 12:00 when entering a time it is cumbersome to have to enter the hour, then a colon, then the minutes. Is it possilbe to simply enter a 4 digit number such as 1245 and have it show up as 12:45 ?? thanks so much... I've found this group to be irreplaceable... glen in orlando Enter your times without colons in column A and put this formula in column B =(A1-RIGHT(A1,2))/2400+RIGHT(A1,2)/(24*60) and format column B for "Time" in the form you want it. Tod "Glen i...

Completion Date
I need a completion date to always fall on a Friday if the completion date is a Saturday or Sunday. Can someone please give me the correct formula to enter to get the results like this. I have to use a formula to add 90 days from last completion date and I achieve this by saying [Completion Date]+90 but I need to add something else to the formula so if it falls on a Weekend Day it defaults back to Friday. I have been trying several years to get this accomplished. (Before I was aware of this great help) Thanks Julie Your simplest answer is to add 91 dayx. (That's divisib...

Entering data
Please help me enter data into cells that seem to be locked. In article <15a201c43e09$dbea4e10$3501280a@phx.gbl>, "Alicia Contreras" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Please help me enter data into cells that seem to be > locked. Hi Alicia, try: Tools > Protect > Unprotect Hope this helps! ...

Date Function in query
I have two tables. One is INVOICES, the other is "INVENTORY. Each has a DATEMODIFIED field. The dates in INVENTORY are formatted dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss. Yet dates in INVOICES are formatted dd/mm/yyyy without any time stamp. The Date() function as query criteria works on the field formatted dd/mm/yyyy but does not on the other. Both fields are filled by code. Both tables have the DATEMODIFIED field formatted the same in the design grid. Why is one table saving dates with the time stamp and the other table is not? Sorry, I forgot to tell you that I am using Access 2007. ...

Grouping E-mail by Date (not DateTime)
I have been unable to find where to group (not sort) by E- mail by Date, not DateTime. Does anyone know if this is possible? Thank you. In MS Outlook, Right-Click over the Received Column header in your message queue, Select "Format Columns" Change the date into the format you desired. Hit OK. HTH JDQ >-----Original Message----- >I have been unable to find where to group (not sort) by E- >mail by Date, not DateTime. > >Does anyone know if this is possible? > >Thank you. >. > Although this does change the format of the Received field, when I try and ...

"Enter Network Password"
Hi All Please help. I upgraded my OS to XP pro and outlook 2000. When ever log in to outlook it continually asks for a password. I enter it, clic "remember this password" and click ok. the box dissapears and come straight back asking for the password I just entered! I've tried everything to stop it including recommendations from th microsoft site: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;259416 Nothing seems to work. I've gone back to oulook express, tried outloo xp and none of this works. Anyone got any ideas? Cheer ----------------------------------...

Enter Billing notes for Project Timesheets in Business Portal
In Business Portal, it seems that you can only enter notes at the timesheet header level. In Great Plains, you can enter notes on each timesheet line. How can I enter billing notes for each timesheet line in Business Portal. Here are the instructions: To add a billing note for hours that you worked on a specific day highlight or click in the appropriate cell and then click Add billing note. -- Charles Allen, MVP "KT" wrote: > In Business Portal, it seems that you can only enter notes at the timesheet > header level. In Great Plains, you can enter notes on each timesh...