how to link to external worksheet

I am using excel 2003 and am trying to link a worksheet from one spreadsheet
(source) into a second spreadsheet (destination).  The source spreadsheet may
or may not be open when accessing the link from the destination spreadsheet.
I figured out to go to the source, select the whole sheet, ^c, then switch to
a blank worksheet in the destination and Edit->Paste->Paste Special.  From
there I "Paste link", then paste "format" and "column widths".

My first problem is that any blank cells on the source worksheet come over
as 0's on the destination, even if I change cell type to text.  I caught
something in Excel Help that said when linking, excel will put absolute
values in for any blanks which I assume is what I am seeing - but me no likey.

My second problem is that I don't want to actually link to the entire source
worksheet - I need to somehow be able to define the range as
A1:whatever-the-last-cell-in-row-F-with-content-is (and that will be
dynamic).

Finally, I am sure there is any easier way to do this than three separate
Paste Special commands (link, format, column widths), but alas I am a novice.
 Any experts care to help me out?  I have been scouring the web and excel
help and this board for hours and my brain hurts.

Oh, and I tried to create a function for the empty worksheet on the
destination with a formula like this:
=([SourceFileName.xls]WorksheetName!A1:F50) but it did not like that - and
besides, as I mentioned above I don't really want to have that static F50 in
there (I just chose that because I am fairly certain the source worksheet
will never be larger than that but even as a novice I know that is a bad
idea).

--

thanks so much!
veek

oh, i also tried going to the destination worksheet, clicking Save, typing =
and then selecting A1:F50, Window->SourceFilename, and selecting A1:F50
there, then enter.  but it is only picking up the very first cell, and none
of the column widths or formatting.
--

thanks so much!
veek

"veek" wrote:

> I am using excel 2003 and am trying to link a worksheet from one spreadsheet
> (source) into a second spreadsheet (destination).  The source spreadsheet may
> or may not be open when accessing the link from the destination spreadsheet.
> I figured out to go to the source, select the whole sheet, ^c, then switch to
> a blank worksheet in the destination and Edit->Paste->Paste Special.  From
> there I "Paste link", then paste "format" and "column widths".
>
> My first problem is that any blank cells on the source worksheet come over
> as 0's on the destination, even if I change cell type to text.  I caught
> something in Excel Help that said when linking, excel will put absolute
> values in for any blanks which I assume is what I am seeing - but me no likey.
>
> My second problem is that I don't want to actually link to the entire source
> worksheet - I need to somehow be able to define the range as
> A1:whatever-the-last-cell-in-row-F-with-content-is (and that will be
> dynamic).
>
> Finally, I am sure there is any easier way to do this than three separate
> Paste Special commands (link, format, column widths), but alas I am a novice.
>  Any experts care to help me out?  I have been scouring the web and excel
> help and this board for hours and my brain hurts.
>
> Oh, and I tried to create a function for the empty worksheet on the
> destination with a formula like this:
> =([SourceFileName.xls]WorksheetName!A1:F50) but it did not like that - and
> besides, as I mentioned above I don't really want to have that static F50 in
> there (I just chose that because I am fairly certain the source worksheet
> will never be larger than that but even as a novice I know that is a bad
> idea).
>
> --
>
> thanks so much!
> veek
0
veek (11)
7/24/2008 9:28:00 PM
Paste Link operation will not error trap for blank cells.

In Sheet2  A1 enter  =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1)

Drag and copy that to rows and columns you wish linked.

This will not bring over formatting and widths.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:05:01 -0700, veek <veek@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I am using excel 2003 and am trying to link a worksheet from one spreadsheet
>(source) into a second spreadsheet (destination).  The source spreadsheet may
>or may not be open when accessing the link from the destination spreadsheet.
>I figured out to go to the source, select the whole sheet, ^c, then switch to
>a blank worksheet in the destination and Edit->Paste->Paste Special.  From
>there I "Paste link", then paste "format" and "column widths".
>
>My first problem is that any blank cells on the source worksheet come over
>as 0's on the destination, even if I change cell type to text.  I caught
>something in Excel Help that said when linking, excel will put absolute
>values in for any blanks which I assume is what I am seeing - but me no likey.
>
>My second problem is that I don't want to actually link to the entire source
>worksheet - I need to somehow be able to define the range as
>A1:whatever-the-last-cell-in-row-F-with-content-is (and that will be
>dynamic).
>
>Finally, I am sure there is any easier way to do this than three separate
>Paste Special commands (link, format, column widths), but alas I am a novice.
> Any experts care to help me out?  I have been scouring the web and excel
>help and this board for hours and my brain hurts.
>
>Oh, and I tried to create a function for the empty worksheet on the
>destination with a formula like this:
>=([SourceFileName.xls]WorksheetName!A1:F50) but it did not like that - and
>besides, as I mentioned above I don't really want to have that static F50 in
>there (I just chose that because I am fairly certain the source worksheet
>will never be larger than that but even as a novice I know that is a bad
>idea).

0
Gord
7/24/2008 11:31:05 PM
Thank you for your response.  However - I'm sorry Gord, I do not understand
what "Paste Link operation will not error trap for blank cells." means - does
that mean I am stuck with the zeros?

I tried the formula you suggest below but get an invalid error so I am sure
I am misunderstanding something.  But bottom line, is it possible to do what
I am trying to do?  More importantly, is it possible for a novice to set
something like this up?

Basically, there are a series of reports, each in a unique spreadsheet, that
I am trying to consolidate into a single master spreadsheet with distinct
tabs for each report.  Ultimately when people select a specified tab on the
destination spreadsheet, I want them to dynamically see the source worksheet.
 i.e. I do not want the report worksheets to have to exist in two places, and
I do not want the users to have write access to the master spreadsheet (so
they cannot just do their report updating directly to the master).

--

thanks so much!
veek

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Paste Link operation will not error trap for blank cells.
>
> In Sheet2  A1 enter  =IF(Sheet1!A1="","",Sheet1!A1)
>
> Drag and copy that to rows and columns you wish linked.
>
> This will not bring over formatting and widths.
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:05:01 -0700, veek <veek@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I am using excel 2003 and am trying to link a worksheet from one spreadsheet
> >(source) into a second spreadsheet (destination).  The source spreadsheet may
> >or may not be open when accessing the link from the destination spreadsheet.
> >I figured out to go to the source, select the whole sheet, ^c, then switch to
> >a blank worksheet in the destination and Edit->Paste->Paste Special.  From
> >there I "Paste link", then paste "format" and "column widths".
> >
> >My first problem is that any blank cells on the source worksheet come over
> >as 0's on the destination, even if I change cell type to text.  I caught
> >something in Excel Help that said when linking, excel will put absolute
> >values in for any blanks which I assume is what I am seeing - but me no likey.
> >
> >My second problem is that I don't want to actually link to the entire source
> >worksheet - I need to somehow be able to define the range as
> >A1:whatever-the-last-cell-in-row-F-with-content-is (and that will be
> >dynamic).
> >
> >Finally, I am sure there is any easier way to do this than three separate
> >Paste Special commands (link, format, column widths), but alas I am a novice.
> > Any experts care to help me out?  I have been scouring the web and excel
> >help and this board for hours and my brain hurts.
> >
> >Oh, and I tried to create a function for the empty worksheet on the
> >destination with a formula like this:
> >=([SourceFileName.xls]WorksheetName!A1:F50) but it did not like that - and
> >besides, as I mentioned above I don't really want to have that static F50 in
> >there (I just chose that because I am fairly certain the source worksheet
> >will never be larger than that but even as a novice I know that is a bad
> >idea).

0
veek (11)
7/25/2008 3:18:05 PM
You get stuck with zeros if the source cells are blank when you use the
Paste Link although you could go to Tools>Options>View and opt to not show
zero values.

That may be easiest for you, then you could just select a range from source
and paste links to destination.

My formula trapped for the blank cells in the source.

When you are linking to another book you have to alter the formula to
include the book name as well as the sheet name and cell reference.

=IF([book1.xls]Sheet1!A1="","",[book1.xls]Sheet1!A1)

Gord

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:18:05 -0700, veek <veek@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Thank you for your response.  However - I'm sorry Gord, I do not understand
>what "Paste Link operation will not error trap for blank cells." means - does
>that mean I am stuck with the zeros?
>
>I tried the formula you suggest below but get an invalid error so I am sure
>I am misunderstanding something.  But bottom line, is it possible to do what
>I am trying to do?  More importantly, is it possible for a novice to set
>something like this up?
>
>Basically, there are a series of reports, each in a unique spreadsheet, that
>I am trying to consolidate into a single master spreadsheet with distinct
>tabs for each report.  Ultimately when people select a specified tab on the
>destination spreadsheet, I want them to dynamically see the source worksheet.
> i.e. I do not want the report worksheets to have to exist in two places, and
>I do not want the users to have write access to the master spreadsheet (so
>they cannot just do their report updating directly to the master).

0
Gord
7/25/2008 10:46:35 PM
Gord,

Once again - many thanks.  I think I figured out what it is I am asking to
do - if this makes sense - I want to actually link a *tab* on the destination
spreadsheet to a worksheet from the source.  When I click on the tab on the
dest ss, I want to see the source worksheet (whether or not the source ss is
open).  And I want it to be seamless - to appear as though the source ws
actually resides in the dest ss.  I see that there are ways to link
individual cells, or even a range of cells - but I've yet to find the way to
link to the entire sheet (whose size will be dynamic).

I think the one thing that is clear is that if this is even doable, it is
most certainly too complex for a novice such as myself :-)

Have a great day
Veek
--

thanks so much!
veek

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> You get stuck with zeros if the source cells are blank when you use the
> Paste Link although you could go to Tools>Options>View and opt to not show
> zero values.
>
> That may be easiest for you, then you could just select a range from source
> and paste links to destination.
>
> My formula trapped for the blank cells in the source.
>
> When you are linking to another book you have to alter the formula to
> include the book name as well as the sheet name and cell reference.
>
> =IF([book1.xls]Sheet1!A1="","",[book1.xls]Sheet1!A1)
>

> Gord
>

> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:18:05 -0700, veek <veek@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Thank you for your response.  However - I'm sorry Gord, I do not understand
> >what "Paste Link operation will not error trap for blank cells." means - does
> >that mean I am stuck with the zeros?
> >
> >I tried the formula you suggest below but get an invalid error so I am sure
> >I am misunderstanding something.  But bottom line, is it possible to do what
> >I am trying to do?  More importantly, is it possible for a novice to set
> >something like this up?
> >
> >Basically, there are a series of reports, each in a unique spreadsheet, that
> >I am trying to consolidate into a single master spreadsheet with distinct
> >tabs for each report.  Ultimately when people select a specified tab on the
> >destination spreadsheet, I want them to dynamically see the source worksheet.
> > i.e. I do not want the report worksheets to have to exist in two places, and
> >I do not want the users to have write access to the master spreadsheet (so
> >they cannot just do their report updating directly to the master).

0
veek (11)

Change link between form and subform

copying a sorted worksheet to another woksheet.
I am trying to to do data entry for an accounting journal, and I want t have the seperate sheets copy their respective information as the dat is entered. For example, if I enter a Cash transaction on the entr page, I want the cash worksheet page to copy that information as well. I can do it with an if statment already, but that leaves blank spaces i the cash sheet if you have blanks in the entry page -- e_shoopma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- e_shoopman's Profile: http://www.officehelp.in/member.php?userid=457 View this thread: http://www.office...

linking #4

Linked Forms

Links not linking

Linked Table Manager in ACCESS

Link To A Cell From Chart

links

Links

Copying large formulas, external references?
I have worksheets that refer to a external file for the current month. When I copy the worksheet it refers to that same months file instead of the current one that I want.I need to update the formula from month to month, how do I do that? I think edit/Links will allow you to change as you wish On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 23:34:51 -0700, "Kamila" <waihik@sovpet.com.au> wrote: >I have worksheets that refer to a external file for the >current month. >When I copy the worksheet it refers to that same months >file instead of the current one that I want.I need to >upd...

Only One New Worksheet
XL and MS Office Professional 2003 I have changed the number of "sheets in new worksheet" (Tools/Options/General) to 6, however I keep getting only one sheet when I open a new workbook. No matter how many sheets I try in the option, I still only get one. I have also tried running "Detect and Repair". Any Ideas? Don Hi, Just the thought: Try to locate default template in XLStart directory (Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\XLStart). Open it and see what Options...General are set to. HTH Paul > XL and MS Office Professional 2003 > > I have changed the nu...

Linked Tables Over A LAN

email links in Publisher pdf

Chart template and links

Change owner of folder on external disk
I use Robocopy to backup music and photos on a external Western Digital 1TB disk that is on a local network. The backup worked fine in both cases initially. Now, the backup for music files is failing with : Robocopy fails with *EXTRA File 1.9 m A Fine Romance-Browne.mp3 2010/02/15 16:56:41 ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Deleting Extra File \\externaldrive\public\BackUp-Music\recordings\AmbroseNew\A Fine Romance-Browne.mp3 Access is denied. This is the command line using UNC addressing: Robocopy C:\Users\Owner\Music\recordings\ \\externaldrive\public\BackUp-Music\recordings\ ...

Excel 2007
I am trying to do a mail merge, and the information I need is contained in two separate excel workbooks. The first workbook contains the names and addresses of individuals who receive a specific item number. The second workbok lists the various item numbers along with the price for each item. Is there a function in Excel that I can use to add the pricing information contained in the second workbooks to the first workbook, so that I can successfully compplete my mail merge using one data source document? You can use VLOOKUP. Assuming Col C in sheet 1 contains item# and ...

Linking to ODBC Linked Tables

Linked Graphs from Excel
I have linked graphs from excel into my publisher document using Paste Special. The problem is that when they paste in they reshape (I have pie charts and they come in publisher looking like tall skinny ovals). I can fix the shape of the charts manually after pasting them in, but when I update the links the reshaping reverts to its original, incorrect size. Any suggestions on how I can use the linking to excel and not have to resize every time I update? "Paste Special" as what format? Have you tried an image format? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...

linking subforms
my application have customers and invoices. each customer can have 1 or more invoices. on my form i have a subform for customers and one subform for invoices. both subforms are in datasheet view. if i click on customer A in the customer subform i want the invoice subform to show only invoices for customer A and at the same time allow me to add invoices for customer A. what are the steps to accomplish this? also i want to be able to print a report such that customer A is listed together with all customer A's invoices followed by customer B and so on. how can this be accomplished? thanks ...

List of worksheets
Is it possible to obtain a list of the worksheets in a workbook and, say, store it in a separate sheet or export it to Word? Thanks in advance. Thanks. Do you happen to know if this can be done by, say, macro as I didn't really want to buy a whole utility for such a straightforward task! "Stelios Tserkezis" <tserkezis_st@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O81A5xuSDHA.1556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > you can use power utility pak v5 from http://j-walk.com/ss/pup/pup5/ > its the best tool. > � "C Tate" <colin@nobodyhere.mrcrtate.fsnet.co.uk> ������ ...

visited links no longer change color
The links still work when clicked but, no longer show purple when visited. This happens in both Outlook and Outlook Express. Yesterday I tried making fonts a little larger as I have eyesight problem. Not sure if this is when the link color problem started. What I did exactly is: *Tools > Options > Mail Format > click "Fonts" button > click "International Fonts" button * At first I went through the list making each one "Larger" font size. * I realized that it's probably only "Western European" I need to change, so all others were set ...

How do i Change links to Relative links for linking pdf files?
Using Publisher, how do i change a link from absolute to relative.. I ahave created an offline website as a demo CD to hand out to clients, but the linked PDF's will only work when the CD drive of the computer is D:, how can i make the link read from the CD no matter whats the drive directory is called?? Please help When you are in the hyperlink dialog do not browse to the file to set the link. Use the address option and enter the path you want. David Bartosik - [MSFT MVP] http://www.publishermvps.com http://www.davidbartosik.com "Riggaz" <Riggaz@discussions.microso...

Sharepoint Linked Table
Hi! I just inherited an Access 2003 database which has a linked table to Sharepoint (dbo_...) without any problem. When you view the actual table from Sharepoint it only has 5 fields, but in Access 2003 have 12 fields. It gets updated without any issue. We are in the process of converting to Access 2007 and the linked table is different from Access 2003. Most of the columns are dropped. Would anyone know how I can keep the same exact column layout (# of columns) as in 2003? This is necessary, because in the code, the linked table updates the local table. Also, we must leave as is, beca...

Help with links in one worksheet please
Hi I have made up a worksheet that will work out all my takings & expenses for the week. I have then made a totals sheet which I would like to add up all the Weekly totals for the year. I have done all the links from the Weekly sheet to the totals sheet and they all work fine. As I will have 52 weeks how do I copy the links I have made for week one (with the relevant changes for that weekly sheet) in the totals sheet? I hope you can understand this Any web sites that may help? Thanks for looking Derek One way is to make a list of your sheet names in col A and use or a modifi...

A Linking Problem
Assume I have a column of numbers, in a file named Source. (range is B2:B10). These cells are linked to a column in a file named Destination(range is E2:E10). If I add a new row 5 to the source, is there a way I can get the previously linked cells in Destination to continue to display the correct values. After adding the new row 5 in source, rows in Destination below row 5 display values from rows below (in the Source file). I hope this is not too confusing a question (I am confused). If it of importance, the linking was done using Paste Link in the Paste Special dialog. Thanks. Hi PA Yo...