How to find the most common numbers?

I have 300 number groups and each group has 22 different numbers (from 1
to 80).

I want to find 5 (or more) numbers that occur together  the most.
Can I find these numbers by excel, macro, VBA or any program?

for example, let us suppose that 4-15-23-36-45 are the most common
numbers and these numbers are in 8 groups from 300.

Is it possible ,  I added my file to explain my question in detail,
Thanks

|Filename: find common numbers1.zip                                 |
|Download: http://www.officefrustration.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=822|

alikirca20

It is possible, but you would need to check 80*79*78*77*76 different combinations of 5 numbers
against 300 groups, for a total of  4.3 TRILLION comparisons.  It would be very easy to program, but
take a verrrrrrry long to execute - well, unless you have access to a really fast computer. Cutting
down the number of groups, the combination length, or the highest allowable number would decrease
the calculation time, to the point were you might be able to do it.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"alikirca20" <alikirca20.4246c24@officefrustration.com> wrote in message

> I have 300 number groups and each group has 22 different numbers (from 1
> to 80).
>
> I want to find 5 (or more) numbers that occur together  the most.
> Can I find these numbers by excel, macro, VBA or any program?
>
> for example, let us suppose that 4-15-23-36-45 are the most common
> numbers and these numbers are in 8 groups from 300.
>
> Is it possible ,  I added my file to explain my question in detail,
> Thanks

> |Filename: find common numbers1.zip                                 |
> |Download: http://www.officefrustration.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=822|

> alikirca20

0
Bernie
4/10/2009 6:06:10 PM
Actually, upon reflection, you would need to only check 22*21*20*19*18
*1500/5!, or 39 Million calculations, more doable... but still a long
calculation.

Bernie

"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in message
> It is possible, but you would need to check 80*79*78*77*76 different
> combinations of 5 numbers against 300 groups, for a total of  4.3 TRILLION
> comparisons.  It would be very easy to program, but take a verrrrrrry long
> to execute - well, unless you have access to a really fast computer.
> Cutting down the number of groups, the combination length, or the highest
> allowable number would decrease the calculation time, to the point were
> you might be able to do it.
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>

> "alikirca20" <alikirca20.4246c24@officefrustration.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have 300 number groups and each group has 22 different numbers (from 1
>> to 80).
>>
>> I want to find 5 (or more) numbers that occur together  the most.
>> Can I find these numbers by excel, macro, VBA or any program?
>>
>> for example, let us suppose that 4-15-23-36-45 are the most common
>> numbers and these numbers are in 8 groups from 300.
>>
>> Is it possible ,  I added my file to explain my question in detail,
>> Thanks
>>

>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>> |Filename: find common numbers1.zip                                 |
>> |Download:
>> http://www.officefrustration.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=822|
>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>>

>> --
>> alikirca20

0
Bernie
4/10/2009 9:33:49 PM
"Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote:
> you would need to only check 22*21*20*19*18 *1500/5!, or 39 Million
> calculations

I compute a whole lot more.  But counting has never been my strong suit; so
I would appreciate constructive comments about my analysis.

First, I think you are considering only combinations of 5.  The OP said "5
or more".

But even for 5 combinations, I compute about 31.103E+12 (trillion US)
operations worst case.  Here is I count that:

There are 26,334 ways to choose 5 of 22 from one group.  So:

   26334*300 operations to generate combinations from each group
   26334*26334 comparisons to add combinations from 2nd group
   2*26334*26334 comparisons to add combinations from 3rd group
   299*26334*26334 comparisons to add combinations from 300th group

That can be expressed as:

=300*COMBIN(22,5)+COMBIN(22,5)^2*SUMPRODUCT(ROW($1:$299))

The SUMPRODUCT expression can be replaced by 300*299/2.

Quibble:  If you don't want to count the operations to generate combinations
in general, that's okay with me.  It's an insignificant delta.  But as a
nitpick, I would include at least the cost to generate the first group,
which must be added to the overall list of combinations; nonetheless, an
even less significant delta.

For "5 or more", I believe the formula would be [1]:

=300*SUMPRODUCT(COMBIN(22,ROW($5:$22)))
 + SUMPRODUCT(COMBIN(22,ROW($5:$22))^2)*300*299/2

That is about 94.366E+15 (quadrillion US).

This assumes an efficient algorithm that realizes that since the 26,334
combinations in each group are unique (per problem specification), we only
need to compare with combinations from all previous groups.

It also assumes the optimization that we only compare combinations of N with
other combinations of N.

Finally, I reiterate that this assumes a "worst case" scenario where all
combinations of N are unique.  This is feasible in all cases of combinations
of 5 to 22 numbers out of 80.  For example, at the lowest end, there are
COMBIN(80,5) = 24,040,016 5-tuple combinations -- 3 times the number of
combinations in 300 groups of 22 numbers.

I don't even what to think about the "typical" (aka "expected") scenario.
It hurts my head :-).

-----
Endnotes:

[1] Replace ROW($5:$22) with ROW(INDIRECT("$5:$22")) to avoid range changes
when inserting rows above.

> Actually, upon reflection, you would need to only check 22*21*20*19*18
> *1500/5!, or 39 Million calculations, more doable... but still a long
> calculation.
>
> Bernie
>

> "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org> wrote in message
>> It is possible, but you would need to check 80*79*78*77*76 different
>> combinations of 5 numbers against 300 groups, for a total of  4.3
>> TRILLION comparisons.  It would be very easy to program, but take a
>> verrrrrrry long to execute - well, unless you have access to a really
>> fast computer. Cutting down the number of groups, the combination length,
>> or the highest allowable number would decrease the calculation time, to
>> the point were you might be able to do it.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Bernie
>> MS Excel MVP
>>

>> "alikirca20" <alikirca20.4246c24@officefrustration.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have 300 number groups and each group has 22 different numbers (from 1
>>> to 80).
>>>
>>> I want to find 5 (or more) numbers that occur together  the most.
>>> Can I find these numbers by excel, macro, VBA or any program?
>>>
>>> for example, let us suppose that 4-15-23-36-45 are the most common
>>> numbers and these numbers are in 8 groups from 300.
>>>
>>> Is it possible ,  I added my file to explain my question in detail,
>>> Thanks
>>>

>>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>>> |Filename: find common numbers1.zip                                 |
>>> http://www.officefrustration.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=822|
>>> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+
>>>

>>> --
>>> alikirca20

0
joeu2004 (766)

Find Duplicate names and delate

how do I delete numbers without deleting formulas
In excel 2003 how do I delete a column of numbers without deleting the formulas in the column? F5>Special>Constants. Use the option buttons to select what you wish to highlight for deleting>Ok Edit>Clear Contents. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:13:02 -0700, "Emmaus junkie" <Emmaus junkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In excel 2003 how do I delete a column of numbers without deleting the >formulas in the column? ...

how do i get negative numbers in brackets in Excel
i find i cannot enter negative numbers in accounts in brackets but this is the accounting convention is it hidden in excel or do i need a plug in Hi Maverick, Enter numbers using the minus symbol, but format your cells: Format => Cells => Number [tab] and in the Type box, enter "#,##0.00_ ;[Red](#,##0.00) " (without the quotation marks). Ewan. "maverick accountant" wrote: > i find i cannot enter negative numbers in accounts in brackets > but this is the accounting convention > is it hidden in excel > or do i need a plug in ...

Add space after each numbered or bulleted item
I need to make rather long lists of paragraphs that are several lines long. The numbered list feature forces a new number and a new line upon hitting enter. this is expected behavior. However, I need a space between the items to make each item stand out. In Word if I hit enter again, a new number is issued as expected. However if I arrow up to the first empty space and hit the backspace, the number will be removed, the following number will be changed to next sequential number and the empty line remain. Publisher, however insists on starting a new number sequence. Is there any way to c...

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

Restore ability to enter 20 character PO Numbers
With the 1.3R release, RMS will not allow PO Numbers longer than 14 characters. Before the 1.3R release, RMS allowed PO Numbers up to 20 characters. After installing the 1.3R release I reported this defect. The support team responded that this change was by design. They claimed that the change was made to work around a defect - "we had a bug with inter-store inventory transfers erroring out when the PO number is greater than 14 characters". This type of quick and easy fix (crippling the UI to work around a defect) is just plain wrong for at least a couple of reasons. 1) C...

cannot find database

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

How to reduce the number of shortcuts/links in the recent documents list?
When I look into the folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed. How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list? Cindy Cindy Parker wrote: > When I look into the folder: > > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\recent > > then there are currently approx 20 recent documents listed. > > How can I permanently reduce the number or even disable this list? > > Cindy > Right click on the Start button and choose Properties --> Customize ...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Conditional Number Formatting & Selective Summing
Attached is the workbook I need help with. From what I have bee discovering from the Excel Macro-VBA Editor-Help screens, what I wan to do should require fairly simple VBA code. However, I have no VB coding experience or skills (the VBA code in Module 3 was gleaned fro the Excel Tips Forum. Thank you Harlan Grove) Sheets �Run� through �Run (30)� are identical, except that the cel formulas on sheets 2-30 are only active if the active sheet i �Enabled� by the user and will only populate with pulled data if al preceding sheets are �Enabled�. The nature of the workbook is such tha a user will alw...

VBA Multi Number-Letter Sort
I'm sorting a list of old in-stock items, example: GEARS / 1/8_spur 1/4_spur rack_1/4pitch. It was all put into a single column. Now I could count left/ middle etc and send it to a different sheet then sort the sheet etc etc etc etc. I would be very happy if I could find a link to a source of vba code I could change or use just to sort things like "3rd # 8 before 3rd # 4" or "W18x21 after W8x10" . Can I do this simply with vba, I keep looking but it does not look promising. just wandering thanks rentapen ...

Automatic numbering feature:
Is there a way to have a template (such as an expense report, policy order, etc.) in Excel automatically number the document by who pulls it up first off of the server? Thanks in advance. ~VR Automatically number by who pulls it up first? What does that mean? We can make a worksheet have an autonumber if John opens it, then increase by one if Joe opens it, etc... Coupl'a methods: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=351 http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=349 **************** Anne Troy www.piersontech.com www.mrexcel.com "VVV1299" <VVV1299@di...

How do I stop last number from changing to a 0 in excel
I have a worksheet that has one column that has account numbers. If I enter 16 or more digits the last numbers change to a 0. I have set, cell format to numbers with no decimals. Try setting cell format to text before entering or use an apostrophe then enter the number HTH Regards, Howard "dan12" <dan12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:426335E4-F08B-4C23-B6E2-EB45F36101F5@microsoft.com... >I have a worksheet that has one column that has account numbers. If I enter > 16 or more digits the last numbers change to a 0. I have set, cell format > to &...

preferred stock vs. common stock
I receive/buy stocks, both COMMON and PREFERRED. I want to keep track of these separately. Does anyone know how to do this? I can't create two stocks (with names COMMON and PREFERRED) that use the same symbol. My only thought is to create two separate investment accounts. Any ideas? Thanks! In microsoft.public.money, Mike M wrote: >I receive/buy stocks, both COMMON and PREFERRED. I want >to keep track of these separately. Does anyone know how >to do this? I can't create two stocks (with names COMMON >and PREFERRED) that use the same symbol. My only though...

use port number for the sql server? while installing CRM 3.0
when installing Microsoft CRM 3.0, can we use port number for the sql server? Responded to on the CRM Deployment forum. -- Rgds Michael MCDBA 2000 | MCITP DBA 2005 "Amit - Techtrends" wrote: > when installing Microsoft CRM 3.0, > can we use port number for the sql server? ...