how to compare column?

How do I compare colume

column A    column B    column C
22            33            B
22            14
12            3
27            45            B
55            40

How to compare column A with column B, then if B is greater than A, indicate
B in column C?

Thank you.

Put this in C1:

=3DIF(B1>A1,"B","")

and copy down as required.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 18, 12:33=A0am, "Able Cox" <no.s...@no.spam.com> wrote:
> How do I compare colume
>
> column A =A0 =A0column B =A0 =A0column C
> 22 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A033 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0B
> 22 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A014
> 12 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A03
> 27 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A045 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0B
> 55 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A040
>
> How to compare column A with column B, then if B is greater than A, indica=
te
> B in column C?
>
> Thank you.

0
pashurst (2576)
1/18/2008 12:51:38 AM
Thanks Pete.

Is there anywhere to paste the entire column C ? not just one specific
cells, but 200 rows.

Thank you.

"Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
Put this in C1:

=IF(B1>A1,"B","")

and copy down as required.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jan 18, 12:33 am, "Able Cox" <no.s...@no.spam.com> wrote:
> How do I compare colume
>
> column A column B column C
> 22 33 B
> 22 14
> 12 3
> 27 45 B
> 55 40
>
> How to compare column A with column B, then if B is greater than A,
> indicate
> B in column C?
>
> Thank you.

A number of ways of copying:

Copy C1, select C2:C20, and Paste.
or
Select the fill handle in the bottom right hand corner of C1 (to get a black
square there), and drag it down C2:C200
or
Double-click on the fill handle of C1 (see above), and it should fill down
as far as you have data in column B
--
David Biddulph

"Able Cox" <no.spam@no.spam.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Pete.
>
> Is there anywhere to paste the entire column C ? not just one specific
> cells, but 200 rows.
>
> Thank you.
>
> "Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
> Put this in C1:
>
> =IF(B1>A1,"B","")
>
> and copy down as required.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Jan 18, 12:33 am, "Able Cox" <no.s...@no.spam.com> wrote:
>> How do I compare colume
>>
>> column A column B column C
>> 22 33 B
>> 22 14
>> 12 3
>> 27 45 B
>> 55 40
>>
>> How to compare column A with column B, then if B is greater than A,
>> indicate
>> B in column C?
>>
>> Thank you.

0
David
1/18/2008 12:12:28 PM
Thank you.

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk> wrote in message
>A number of ways of copying:
>
> Copy C1, select C2:C20, and Paste.
> or
> Select the fill handle in the bottom right hand corner of C1 (to get a
> black square there), and drag it down C2:C200
> or
> Double-click on the fill handle of C1 (see above), and it should fill down
> as far as you have data in column B
> --
> David Biddulph
>
> "Able Cox" <no.spam@no.spam.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Pete.
>>
>> Is there anywhere to paste the entire column C ? not just one specific
>> cells, but 200 rows.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> "Pete_UK" <pashurst@auditel.net> wrote in message
>> Put this in C1:
>>
>> =IF(B1>A1,"B","")
>>
>> and copy down as required.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Pete
>>
>> On Jan 18, 12:33 am, "Able Cox" <no.s...@no.spam.com> wrote:
>>> How do I compare colume
>>>
>>> column A column B column C
>>> 22 33 B
>>> 22 14
>>> 12 3
>>> 27 45 B
>>> 55 40
>>>
>>> How to compare column A with column B, then if B is greater than A,
>>> indicate
>>> B in column C?
>>>
>>> Thank you.

Formating columns
Hi, I need help changing the column widths. Column A has a width setting of 15 for rows 1 - 30 but I want rows 31 - 35 to have a width setting of 5 Thank you Columns cannot have different width in different row. If you want to make a table use Word (or wood!) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "dbrumit" <dbrumit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E795F8F4-3CCF-4B96-B055-61EAE53DDEAE@microsoft.com... > Hi, I need help changing the column widths. > Column A has a width setting of 15 for rows 1 - 30 but I...

UnHide Columns in Excel 2002
In Office XP in Excel I can not select two columns it automatically expands the selection to include the Merged Row above it which includes all the columns below - not just the two I selected. When I select just two cells the right click does not include the option to "Unhide" or "Hide". I have to go to the format menu, select column and select "Unhide" or "Hide". Is there a way to select columns without including the merged rows within the spreadsheet? Is there a shortcut to "Hide" or "UnHide" with a right click or keyboar...

compare
Hello everyone, I have been reading this group for a while, however I am quite a rookie in using of excel. I would appreciate if someone could help with this issue. I quite often have to compare two sheets (from different workbooks-files, but with the same sheet name). Calculations are thus updated time by time and I need to check where were the main differences. Cells contain both values and formulas. I have found through this newsgroup nice add-ins of Myrna Larson and Bill Manville, and Rob Bruce. However I would need the macros to highlight only significant differences (let's say fro...

Compare two files and update data from another file base on words in a cell separated by commas
I have two file with several colomns. I need to compare two Col B fileA Col B of FileB as shown in example. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgUVfFOnkiaKdFBiNDFLamcybXdhW... Each col have about 1000 rows. Each row contains thousands of words and phrases separated by Comma. As you can see from example, my data has soo many words and phrases separated by comma in each row of two colomn A and B. ============== i Need to merge data of corresponding row from COLA$FileB TO corresponding row of COLA$FileB Also merge data of corresponding row from COLB$FileB TO correspondin...

2 workbooks
I have got 2 workbooks with a list of names. I need to find out if a name appears in both books. One of the workbooks came from a different source and the other one is a report I ran from our database. I need to find out whether the workbook from out of the company has got any of our own names on it. I am using Microsoft Excel 97 and am fairly new at this so please be gentle. One way I did think was to combine the two workbooks into one and find the duplicates but thought there may be another way. Thank you. Hi "queen on", Assume that In book1 the names are in column A, s...

How do I insert the degree symbol in a column of numbers?
I have a column of numbers on the format ddmm.mmm and would like to insert a degree symbol after the dd. I can do it one cell at a time. Can I do the whole column at once somehow? Try this, JKB: http://www.officearticles.com/misc/symbols_and_characters_in_microsoft_office.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "JKB" <JKB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF3C8E29-68E2-47E1-8889-69070B1B4D62@microsoft.com... > I have a column of numbers on the format ddmm.mmm and would like to insert a > degree symbol after th...

Comparing
I have two columns of numbers column A could be up to 3500 rows. Column B may be more or less than 3500 rows. What I'm trying to do is see if any number in columns "B" appears anywhere in Column "A", and if so we can just highlight it in both columns. Actually I would want to be able to sort by highlighted. so maybe add someway to sort by matched or unmatched. I hope this makes sense. In column C put... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,$B:$B,1,FALSE)),"Not in B","In B") In column D put... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B1,$A:$A,1,FALSE)),"Not in ...

I need to compare to columns and indicate the matches in another
am wanting to compare 2 columns for exact matching. If there are two matching items I want to be able to say "A match" in a chosen cell for all the ones that match. Column C will be retrived in an random order... so how would I write the formula for that????? Example: A B C 45time 11tune A match 11tune 89time 47doog 43jkjkj A match 123ABC 123ABC If possible include how to highlight the ones that make as another option. Thanks Try something like this: For a value list in B1:B5 and a ...

Stacked and Column Chart
Hello, Using the data below I would like to create a single chart with a Column Stacked Chart for Revenues and a Column for Expenditures. Can u help me? Revenues FY03 FY04 FY05 Private/Local Govt. $1,500,928.00 $2,598,394.00 $7,030,199.00 State $821,388.00 $3,467,473.00 $20,413,581.00 Ship Funding $15,806,578.00 $19,233,564.00 $23,902,364.00 Flowthru (Federal) $10,036,098.00 $10,595,406.00 $13,369,788.00 Federal Government $68,276,270.00 $1,604,082.00 $63,199,215.00 Expenditures $132,1452,481.00 $128...

Help Please- How to offset Date to correct column for Ageing
Hi All, I have a stock ageing sheet for finished goods, which uses a vlookup table, on entry of the Product code (last 3 Digits), this populates the next three columns with description, FG cost and Quantity of product. the quantity of product is entered again manually into the appropriate column, there are five columns these are banded <3 Months 0%, 3 to 6 Months 25%, 6 to 9 months 50%, 9 to 12 Months 75% and > 1 Year 100%, the percentage is liability provision. What I would like to do is on entry of the product code as above the quantity is automatically inserted into the correc...

Several column headers have a $ following name, what?
Our research data is on Excel worksheets. The many columns have text headers which have appeared with a $ following the name, such as, worklife$. What does the $ signify - Does the $ have to do with the data having been imported from a another program? This may be due to importing. Most programs use the "$" symbol to indicate that the data allowed in that field is a string. "rdavidson" wrote: > Our research data is on Excel worksheets. The many columns have text headers > which have appeared with a $ following the name, such as, worklife$. What > does...

Advice on comparing data sets
Hi, Can anyone advise on how I can compare data on 1 sheet with dat compared on another. Example attached. I want to be able to show that whenever the UK is shown (can appea multiple times) on this sheet it checks on sheet2 and enter th corresponding band value in this case for the UK (show in cells B6, B8 will show band A SHEET1 Ref Country Band 1 UK 2 Germany 3 UK 4 France 5 Italy SHEET2 Country Band UK A GERMANY B ITALY B FRANCE D SWEDEN D DENMARK E As always thanks for your help. Simo +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: ...

How do I wrap text in the subject column in the list of tasks
i seeing the list of taks in using the menu "Tasks" in outlook. However I am unable to wrap the text under the subject column that I miss the words. Even when printed in landscape the words are truncated. So how do i wrap the text in the view and print out, so that I can see all the text. You can't, you can either remove and/or resize some columns or select the entire list and paste it into Excel and modify it from there. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads,...

comparing cell
i have a spreadsheet that contain a column of name (some the same and some not) and would like to place each name in a row acroos the top of the same spreadsheet. Smith Jones Brown Smith Smith Brown Smith Jones Jones Smith Brown Hi Stanley First insert a heading above your column of names. Then Data>Filter>Advanced Filter mark the source as your column of names. Choose copy to another location and choose a detination cell on the sheet. Select Unique values only. Having got a unique list of names, copy this list and Paste Special>Transpo...

Compare and delete row
I need some help - I need to compare a cell, let's say A1, that wil contain a date. I need Excel to compare it to today's date, if it i over 60 days, I need it to go ahead and delete that row. If not, I nee it to leave alone. Thanks in advanc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this Sub test() If IsDate(Range("a1")) = True Then If Range("a1").Value > Date + 60 Then Range("a1").EntireRow.Delete End If End Sub -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "intheway >" <<intheway.176s7x@excelforum-nospam.c...

compare side by side
Using WindowsXP-Media Edition with Service Pack 2 and Office 2003. When I choose the "compare side by side" option, my two workbooks appear one above the other rather than side by side. Am I missing something?? >>Am I missing something?? I commented on that to MS during the beta test. They ignored me! -- Jim "BK" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%233jhCdasHHA.1216@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... | Using WindowsXP-Media Edition with Service Pack 2 and Office 2003. | | When I choose the "compare side by side" option, my two workbooks appear ...

Comparing Excel Spreadsheets
Ok, got one I can't handle.. I have one of two scenarios. Either I have 2 Excel workbooks, or 1 workbook with 2 worksheets.. Either way, I have 2 one Column data sets. I need a way to look at the data sets and find what is missing Example Data 1 = 1 2 3 4 5 Data 2 = 1 3 5 6 Results = 2 4 6 Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks Joe ...

how to make a scrollable group of columns/rox in middle of sheet
hey there I was wondering how to make a list of col/row scrollable (either horizontal or vertical) while leaving reast of cells still ? I have seen it done but it is very confusing ... ? thanks Windows>freeze panes or windows>split depending on what you mean Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Simo Sentissi" wrote: > hey there > > I was wondering how to make a list of col/row scrollable (either horizontal > or vertical) while leaving reast of cells still ? > I have seen it done but it is very confusing ... ? > > thanks > > > ...

compare time
I would like to compare a calculated time in my work sheet vs. the actual system time. For example, if the caculated time is >than or = to the system time I want excel to tell me to "CALL", if not then "REST"...any help would be appreciated. Thanks, DE Put your calculated time in a cell (say A1) In B1 put =NOW() in C1 enter =IF(A1>=B1,"CALL","REST) -- Gary''s Student "Eddie Munster" wrote: > I would like to compare a calculated time in my work sheet vs. the actual > system time. For example, if the caculated time is ...

Change Column Headings
Somehow I have changed my column headings from letters to numbers. Does anyone know how to change them back? Hi tools / options / general untick R1C1 reference style Cheers JulieD "lanlourd" <lanlourd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E33A5E0-01D6-4717-B947-E3FA1A181CD2@microsoft.com... > Somehow I have changed my column headings from letters to numbers. Does > anyone know how to change them back? ...

Need more columns
Hi I am making a financial model that needs >22 years of monthly data. Since Excel only has 256 columns it won't all fit across, does anyone have any ideas what i could do to make it better. Not really keen on replicating stuff down the page or over sheets. Thanks heaps Nick Hi Nick! Probably the best way is to set time on the vertical scale. Sorry if the truth hurts! -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "Nick" <anonymous...

Column comparing
I am trying to compare 2 columns of numbers so that I can identify and delete numbers no longer required. Can anyone help me find a formula for this please? Many thanks DT Check your earlier post. Dave T wrote: > > I am trying to compare 2 columns of numbers so that I can identify and > delete numbers no longer required. Can anyone help me find a formula for > this please? > > Many thanks > DT -- Dave Peterson ...

Import data csv file - tab delimited
Hi, I'm attempting to import data from a csv file and sort it to it's column I.E. data [date] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 column(s) to import too equal data imported 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 .... 49 Thanks Your header refers to csv file tab delimited which is somewhat confusing. Eitehr teh file is a (C)omma (S)eparated (V)alue file which Excel wil open and parse automatically or it is a tab delimited file. If you have the latter,and it does have a >csv extension change the extension to something like .txt. Then click on teh file and choose open with Excel. Excel will then attempt ...

Compare this!
Right click in Dock the entourage icon, and the apple mail icon! Why can't MS prvovide such a simple thing?! Haren Sanghavi <intellibuzz@mtnl.net.in> wrote: > Right click in Dock the entourage icon, and the apple mail icon! > > Why can't MS prvovide such a simple thing?! Tell them!! Use the Send Feedback command in the Help menu in Entourage. Corentin -- --- Mac:MS MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ --- http://www.mvps.org - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com MVPs are not MS employees - Les MVP ne travaillent pas pour MS ...

Comparing spreadsheets
I am to compare spreadsheet A to spreadsheet B to find out what B is missing from A. Any suggestions to function I could use to do this? How about trying Myrna Larson's and Bill Manville's Compare (an add-In utility): http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm Gabe <rgdelaluz@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:052101c357ca$b07231b0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am to compare spreadsheet A to spreadsheet B to find out > what B is missing from A. > > Any suggestions to function I could use to do this? Thanks... But Ms. Larson already wrote to me indicating that ...