how much is too much data for a cell?

a cell should hold 32,000 characters if i am not mistaken.  i have a
large spreadsheet that has codes, their use, description and the # of
times they have been 'hit'.  most of the information fits in a cell
very easily but i have one description that is huge.  i made the cell
255x409 which is the max and what happened was part of the information
showed and then the rest of the cell was blank.  at that cell size
there was more than enough room for all the data but for some reason
it would not all show.  i tried things like changing the alignment and
it is on wrap text.  i tried selecting all the data and making it a
different smaller font. but nothing seems to work.  its probably a
simple fix but...too complicated for me obviously.  i have the excel
2003 bible but couldn't find my answer in there either.  any and all
help is greatly appreciated.
0
rdlink (9)

It will not show in the cell beyond 1024 but it will in the formula bar.

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"evilyn" <rdlink@charter.net> wrote in message
>a cell should hold 32,000 characters if i am not mistaken.  i have a
> large spreadsheet that has codes, their use, description and the # of
> times they have been 'hit'.  most of the information fits in a cell
> very easily but i have one description that is huge.  i made the cell
> 255x409 which is the max and what happened was part of the information
> showed and then the rest of the cell was blank.  at that cell size
> there was more than enough room for all the data but for some reason
> it would not all show.  i tried things like changing the alignment and
> it is on wrap text.  i tried selecting all the data and making it a
> different smaller font. but nothing seems to work.  its probably a
> simple fix but...too complicated for me obviously.  i have the excel
> 2003 bible but couldn't find my answer in there either.  any and all
> help is greatly appreciated.

0
terre081 (3244)
11/30/2007 9:43:36 PM
I don't know the exact number of characters that will actually display, but
I've been able to get over 5,000 to show by placing forced line breaks (
<Alt> <Enter>) at appropriate places throughout the text.
--
HTH,

RD

"evilyn" <rdlink@charter.net> wrote in message
>a cell should hold 32,000 characters if i am not mistaken.  i have a
> large spreadsheet that has codes, their use, description and the # of
> times they have been 'hit'.  most of the information fits in a cell
> very easily but i have one description that is huge.  i made the cell
> 255x409 which is the max and what happened was part of the information
> showed and then the rest of the cell was blank.  at that cell size
> there was more than enough room for all the data but for some reason
> it would not all show.  i tried things like changing the alignment and
> it is on wrap text.  i tried selecting all the data and making it a
> different smaller font. but nothing seems to work.  its probably a
> simple fix but...too complicated for me obviously.  i have the excel
> 2003 bible but couldn't find my answer in there either.  any and all
> help is greatly appreciated.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
11/30/2007 10:07:32 PM
Thanks.  I'll try that.

On Nov 30, 5:07 pm, "RagDyer" <ragd...@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:
> I don't know the exact number of characters that will actually display, but
> I've been able to get over 5,000 to show by placing forced line breaks (
> <Alt> <Enter>) at appropriate places throughout the text.
> --
> HTH,
>
> RD

> "evilyn" <rdl...@charter.net> wrote in message

> >a cell should hold 32,000 characters if i am not mistaken.  i have a
> > large spreadsheet that has codes, their use, description and the # of
> > times they have been 'hit'.  most of the information fits in a cell
> > very easily but i have one description that is huge.  i made the cell
> > 255x409 which is the max and what happened was part of the information
> > showed and then the rest of the cell was blank.  at that cell size
> > there was more than enough room for all the data but for some reason
> > it would not all show.  i tried things like changing the alignment and
> > it is on wrap text.  i tried selecting all the data and making it a
> > different smaller font. but nothing seems to work.  its probably a
> > simple fix but...too complicated for me obviously.  i have the excel
> > 2003 bible but couldn't find my answer in there either.  any and all
> > help is greatly appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

rdlink (9)
12/3/2007 5:59:34 PM
Appreciate the feed-back.

Would also appreciate your max character count with this procedure if in
excess of 5,000.
--
Regards,

RD

> Thanks.  I'll try that.
>
> On Nov 30, 5:07 pm, "RagDyer" <ragd...@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:
>> I don't know the exact number of characters that will actually display,
>> but
>> I've been able to get over 5,000 to show by placing forced line breaks (
>> <Alt> <Enter>) at appropriate places throughout the text.
>> --
>> HTH,
>>
>> RD

>> Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit !
>>
>> "evilyn" <rdl...@charter.net> wrote in message

>> >a cell should hold 32,000 characters if i am not mistaken.  i have a
>> > large spreadsheet that has codes, their use, description and the # of
>> > times they have been 'hit'.  most of the information fits in a cell
>> > very easily but i have one description that is huge.  i made the cell
>> > 255x409 which is the max and what happened was part of the information
>> > showed and then the rest of the cell was blank.  at that cell size
>> > there was more than enough room for all the data but for some reason
>> > it would not all show.  i tried things like changing the alignment and
>> > it is on wrap text.  i tried selecting all the data and making it a
>> > different smaller font. but nothing seems to work.  its probably a
>> > simple fix but...too complicated for me obviously.  i have the excel
>> > 2003 bible but couldn't find my answer in there either.  any and all
>> > help is greatly appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

ragdyer1 (4060)
12/3/2007 11:08:15 PM
RD

.........From Dave Peterson..........

I put this formula in A1:
="xxx"& REPT(REPT("asdf ",25)&CHAR(10),58)&"yyy"

And adjusted the columnwidth, rowheight and font size and I got about 7300
characters to print ok.

.........End Dave P.................

Gord

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:08:15 -0800, "RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:

>Appreciate the feed-back.
>
>Would also appreciate your max character count with this procedure if in
>excess of 5,000.

0
Gord
12/3/2007 11:27:50 PM
Thanks Gord.

Too lazy to do something like that myself.
I wonder ... what really is the max?

Just like Dana and Harlan got together in a thread and found out the real
max for sheets in a WB is 5,447.

I guess you need a certain "drive" to get into all that testing stuff.<bg>

--
Regards,

RD

> RD
>
> ........From Dave Peterson..........
>
> I put this formula in A1:
> ="xxx"& REPT(REPT("asdf ",25)&CHAR(10),58)&"yyy"
>
> And adjusted the columnwidth, rowheight and font size and I got about 7300
> characters to print ok.
>
> ........End Dave P.................
>

> Gord
>
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:08:15 -0800, "RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Appreciate the feed-back.
>>
>>Would also appreciate your max character count with this procedure if in
>>excess of 5,000.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
12/3/2007 11:55:15 PM
Speaking of Harlan.  He posted posted this July 9, 2003

Quoted.....................

FWIW, XL2K displays all 11,804 chars of

="foo"&CHAR(10)&REPT(REPT("----+----#",25)&CHAR(10),47)&"bar"

both as a formula and converted to a text constant. Granted this is at 6
point typesize, cell width 172, height 409.5, screen resolution 1280x1024,
and with word wrap enabled. Still. makes a bit of a mockery of this 'spec'.

End quote.......................

Also in another Harlan post August 13, 2003.................

At 1024 by 768 resolution, with column width 139 (visible width of Excel
document window while still showing worksheet frame and vertical scroll bar)
and row height maxed out at 409.5, with word wrap enabled, and font Times
New Roman at 4 point typesize, Excel 2K (at least) happily displays all
15,751 characters of the formula

=REPT("-",480)&CHAR(10)&
REPT("  > "&REPT("#",246)&" <  "&CHAR(10),58)&REPT("-",480)

both as a formula and the equivalent value entered into a cell as a text
constant. A decimal order and a half magnitude difference between the docs
and what actually can be achieved is a bit more than the fudge factor
mentioned in some KB article I've seen. Or would you claim 15,751 is
approximately equal to 1,024?

End quote...........................................

Gord

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:55:15 -0800, "RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:

>Thanks Gord.
>
>Too lazy to do something like that myself.
>I wonder ... what really is the max?
>
>Just like Dana and Harlan got together in a thread and found out the real
>max for sheets in a WB is 5,447.
>
>I guess you need a certain "drive" to get into all that testing stuff.<bg>

0
Gord
12/4/2007 12:48:16 AM
So ... I guess we can say, well in excess of 15K of characters.

I think Harlan really takes pleasure in sticking his foot up butts, whether
MS's or anyone else's, for that matter.<bg>

Thanks again Gord!
--
Regards,

RD

> Speaking of Harlan.  He posted posted this July 9, 2003
>
> Quoted.....................
>
> FWIW, XL2K displays all 11,804 chars of
>
> ="foo"&CHAR(10)&REPT(REPT("----+----#",25)&CHAR(10),47)&"bar"
>
> both as a formula and converted to a text constant. Granted this is at 6
> point typesize, cell width 172, height 409.5, screen resolution 1280x1024,
> and with word wrap enabled. Still. makes a bit of a mockery of this
> 'spec'.
>
> End quote.......................
>
> Also in another Harlan post August 13, 2003.................
>
> At 1024 by 768 resolution, with column width 139 (visible width of Excel
> document window while still showing worksheet frame and vertical scroll
> bar)
> and row height maxed out at 409.5, with word wrap enabled, and font Times
> New Roman at 4 point typesize, Excel 2K (at least) happily displays all
> 15,751 characters of the formula
>
> =REPT("-",480)&CHAR(10)&
> REPT("  > "&REPT("#",246)&" <  "&CHAR(10),58)&REPT("-",480)
>
> both as a formula and the equivalent value entered into a cell as a text
> constant. A decimal order and a half magnitude difference between the docs
> and what actually can be achieved is a bit more than the fudge factor
> mentioned in some KB article I've seen. Or would you claim 15,751 is
> approximately equal to 1,024?
>
> End quote...........................................
>

> Gord
>
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:55:15 -0800, "RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Thanks Gord.
>>
>>Too lazy to do something like that myself.
>>I wonder ... what really is the max?
>>
>>Just like Dana and Harlan got together in a thread and found out the real
>>max for sheets in a WB is 5,447.
>>
>>I guess you need a certain "drive" to get into all that testing stuff.<bg>

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
12/4/2007 1:07:50 AM
Yeah, I know.

Both those Harlan posts were in response to mine stating the 1024 limit.

We all learned something there<g>

Gord

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 17:07:50 -0800, "RagDyer" <ragdyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:

>So ... I guess we can say, well in excess of 15K of characters.
>
>I think Harlan really takes pleasure in sticking his foot up butts, whether
>MS's or anyone else's, for that matter.<bg>
>
>Thanks again Gord!

0
Gord
12/4/2007 1:46:38 AM
it worked when i put it forced line breaks.  the character count is
2094 which makes it even more odd that it would not all show up.

On Dec 3, 6:08 pm, "RagDyer" <ragd...@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:
> Appreciate the feed-back.
>
> Would also appreciate your max character count with this procedure if in
> excess of 5,000.
> --
> Regards,
>
> RD

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------"evilyn" <rdl...@charter.net> wrote in message

> > Thanks.  I'll try that.
>
> > On Nov 30, 5:07 pm, "RagDyer" <ragd...@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:
> >> I don't know the exact number of characters that will actually display,
> >> but
> >> I've been able to get over 5,000 to show by placing forced line breaks (
> >> <Alt> <Enter>) at appropriate places throughout the text.
> >> --
> >> HTH,
>
> >> RD
>
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit !
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> >> "evilyn" <rdl...@charter.net> wrote in message

rdlink (9)
12/6/2007 9:59:21 PM
Thanks again for answering.
--
Regards,

RD

> it worked when i put it forced line breaks.  the character count is
> 2094 which makes it even more odd that it would not all show up.
>
> On Dec 3, 6:08 pm, "RagDyer" <ragd...@cutoutmsn.com> wrote:
>> Appreciate the feed-back.
>>
>> Would also appreciate your max character count with this procedure if in
>> excess of 5,000.
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> RD

>> Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit !
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------"evilyn"
>> <rdl...@charter.net> wrote in message

>> > Thanks.  I'll try that.

ragdyer1 (4060)

Getting External Data from Credet Card Statement
I have one particular credit card account that does not have a download feature. How would I download a statement into Excel. I tried Data, Get External Data, typed in the web site address, but I received a message the the data could not be imported. Thanks, Victor ...

cell color
Can anyone tell me if I can change the color of a cell to green, for example, but have this change only show on the screen and not print? I have created a form and wish to have the cells, where information is to be entered, clearly marked. I do not, however, want green/dark blocks appearing on my print-outs. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks! Generally speaking, if you change the cell color, it is going to print that way. You could write a macro and use a BeforePrint event to turn the color back to no color just before it prints and then change it back after the print. Richard Cho...

access data without opening it
I have 2 files. One contains some data in excel format. Another fil (also in excel) is to retrieve some information (like a query) from th data file without opening the data file (as thee data is too large). Ca I do so? If yes, how? Thank -- chengkithun ----------------------------------------------------------------------- chengkithung's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3256 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=53195 This formula will retrieve the value in cell A1 on sheet 1 of filename Book1Test.xls, located in th...

Error Message on Data Access Page
I developed a Data Access page for data entry for multiple users. Some users are getting this error message: CONVERSION ERROR OCCURED WHILE BUILDING PARAMETERIZED UPDATE OR REFRESH STATEMENT Anybody have any ideas how to solve this? sorry,i do cuininioli edina www.sina.com.cn multimedia cumedia security jinsha dins vinslinkcom CCDIN visp "dmeyer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> д���ʼ� news:02d501c39422$97230740$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I developed a Data Access page for data entry for multiple > users. Some users are getting this error message: > CONVERSION...

Curious symbol in certain cells
I've used Excel 2003 for some time - no problems. Today, I began using it on my wife's notebook. I note that on several of my transferred in worksheets, a small triangular mark appears in the upper left hand corner of a number of cells. It looks (other than the location) like a comment marker. The affected cells seem to contain formulas . Is this an option in Excel to highlight some feature. If so what. and more important where's the switch? -- PT It sounds like error checking. Select one of the affected cells and you should see a little icon appear with a drop do...

Insert formated data into an ascii file instead of the standard output
I have a prepared VC code in which the formated output is output to the standard output by means of the following: cout << *foramtedData; I guise that there is somewher an override for the operator << to enable that. I need an easy way (since I'm quite bad in programming) to insert this formated data into an ascii file instead of the standard output. Can someone help please? Thanks Eric #include<fstream> using namespace std; ofstream out_file("your file name"); out_file<<*foramtedData; "Eric" <eric@iasi.com> д����Ϣ����:OIQuqFMwE...

Might be asking too much
I am using excel to track day to day project hours on a bi-weekly interval. In the cell where I am entering my time I am also adding comments as to what work was done during that time. What I would like to do is figure out a way that I can extract the comments out to print. Now I know that I can print them at the end of the layout which is essentially what I want, but the way it defaults the printing is by calling out the cell name i.e. (c24) then the comment. The problem is that I have no way of know which cell that is. so what I would like to do is basically set up a layout myself...

Selecting cells with text and placing them in a column
Hello Since combo boxes can only read continuous cells, I need to select al the cells in a column that have text and copy them to a new column... heres what im looking for Text1 Formula Formua... Hi you may try the following macro which copies the selection without blanks to the adjacent column sub foo() dim rng as range dim cell as range dim row_index as long dim col_index as integer set rng = selection if rng.columns.count>1 then exit sub row_index=rng.row col_index = rng.column+1 for each cell in rng if cell.value<>"" then cells(row_index,col_index).value = ...

"Cannot empty the clipboard" when dragging cells
I just finished reinstalling Windows XP Professional (clean install) and = Office XP and now when I try to drag data from one cell to another, I = get the "cannot empty the clipboard" error. It still moves the data, = but it pops up the alert dialog everytime which is very annoying! I checked for the exact message and permutations in the MS Knowledge = Base and it came up without any links. Your help is greatly appreciated. Scott Robuck This was written for xl97, but maybe it still applies: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;196620 XL97: "Cannot Empty ...

MSP_EpmAssignmentByDay
We have quite a lot of projects in Project Server. Should there be data in MSP_EpmAssignmentByDay table on ProjectServer_Reporting db? Now the table is totally empty. How can we get data to that table? ...

Newbi needs a very small help, thank you very much.
Newbi needs a very small help, thank you very much. Hello everyone and thank you very much for your time. I Have a small db for invoicing and on my form (with a subform) there is a CANCEL button which will just cancel what had been selected or entered in the form ... here is the code behind the cancel button... Private Sub Cancel_Click() Me![BillsFormSub].Form.Refresh DoCmd.SetWarnings False DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 8, , acMenuVer70 DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 6, , acMenuVer70 DoCmd.SetWarnings True Exit_Cancel_Click: Exit Sub End Sub This was working ...

Increasing the value of the content of cells by one.
I'm using Excel 2003. I frequently need to increase by one the numerical values within maybe 20 or 30 cells scattered about a worksheet. Is there any way (having selected those cells using the mouse and Ctrl) that I might press a combination of keys ('F' keys or whatever) that will enable the contents of those 20-30 cells to be changed instantaneously? TIA of any replies. -- DB. You could do try this: Put 1 in an empty cell. Edit|copy that Cell Select your range of cells to adjust. Edit|paste special Click on Values and Add If I had to do this lots of tim...

CTabCtrl item data
Hi, Is there a way to set and get application item data in tab control item (such as SetItemData/GetItemData in CListCtrl) ?? thanks, Yoav. >Is there a way to set and get application item data in tab control item You could use Set/GetWindowLongPtr GWLP_USERDATA. Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq Yes, have a look at CTabCtrl::SetItem method and "LPARAM lParam" member of TCITEM structure. Regards, Victor "yoavo" <yoav@cimatron.co.il> wrote in message news:#O#71gCNFHA.4028@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > Is there a way to set and get a...

Querying last months data
Hi All, I have created a query where I can get a count of a specific person's activity. These people log when they recieve mail and when they have actioned it. The problem that I have is these stats are gathered for the previous month i.e. in January we are looking at Decembers data. I can get the query to get the data from February to December but come January I cant go back to December. Here is the SQL code: SELECT Count([Experience Rating Table].DateCompleted) AS CountOfDateCompleted FROM [MyTable] GROUP BY [MyTable].AssignedTo, Month([DateCompleted]), Year([DateCompleted...

Summing and Averages with non-numeric cells
I have a 7 question survery with the following possible responses 1 2 3 4 5 N/A We then take ther responses and average them. I'd like to eliminate the N/A responses from the denominator and from the total sum. I currently have 1 cell for this operation - which doesn't work when the response is N/A since it's a simple (sum)/7 equation. Thanks for any help! Hi, Try it this way =SUM(A1:A7)/COUNT(A1:A7) Mike "Erinayn" wrote: > I have a 7 question survery with the following possible responses > 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 >...

CRM Mail Merge Data Source
Does anyone know if there is a way to change the default data source when using mail merge from CRM? I have created mail merge documents in Word and saved them with the data source pointing to the SQL CRM Accounts database but when opening them in Word from CRM, I'm told that the fields are not found. In short, I can print company name and address but not a contact name as we are using "address1_primarycontactname". Also, is there a way to copy address info from the Accounts record to associated Contact records? Thanks. ...

How to disable export data to Excel ?
Hello, All! How to disable export data to Excel ? There is no supported way to do this in the current version of Microsoft CRM. The unsupported way would be to hacking the source code to remove the excel option. -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Achill" <achill@mail.ru> wrote in message news:emR6DdGjFHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello, All! > > How to disable export data to Excel ? > > I read some where that version 3.0 is coming up with this feature. I advice you wait instead of tweaking app and losing support. Ven...

add source data to chart in excel
I can't get Excel to accept more than 19 data points for my X-axis in a chart? Is this a limit? How do I add more data points? (As soon as I try to add the 20th point, all of the other points are lost.) Hi Susan I have had this trouble in the past. Try.... Right click chart and select 'Source Data'. Delete any existing source data and close dialog box. Select the source data you require and copy it. Click on the chart and paste. Sandy "Susan" <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7D47720-BCF1-4066-911D-555E386F4FEB@microsoft.com... > I ...

location bcm data
I have just installed outlook 2003 + bcm. I copy the .pst file from to my notebook on a daily basis. I discovered that the bcm data are not copied together with the .pst file. I have tried to find the location of the bcm data file but it is nowhere to find. Can someone give me a clue? Frank Simons ...

User seeing too much data
I have a user who has changed from a view all role to a restricted view role, everything has been updated on his user profile including removing his old role and adding him to the new role but on some views within CRM he can still see data that was linked to his old role. User was a customer service rep who at one time was the owner of several hundred records and had full organizational view privlages. About 6 months ago he changed to a sales position which he now owns a new group of records and should only be able to access and see the records he owns. The records he used to own hav...

Data Access Page Un-editable
I created a DAP from a form I have built, but none of the text fields, or check boxes allow me to edit them while in the DAP. I am trying to read up on DAP's but I have not found anything that helps me understand how to set them to be editable. Can someone help? more info for you: I am using office 2003 SP3 and IE7. I have installed OWC11. I have the access database and the DAP (HTML Document) saved in the same folder as the db. "Cameron" wrote: > I created a DAP from a form I have built, but none of the text fields, or > check boxes allow me to e...

Data Validation #28
How do you change either the size of the text box or the size of the source data in a drop down text box when created through data validation? You can't change the font or font size for a Data Validation dropdown list. To make the font appear larger, you can use programming to adjust the zoom setting when the cell is selected. There's sample code here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Larger Or, there's a sample file here that provides a combobox from which you can select one of the values from the data validation list. In thecombobox, you can set the font...

how much is too much data for a cell?
a cell should hold 32,000 characters if i am not mistaken. i have a large spreadsheet that has codes, their use, description and the # of times they have been 'hit'. most of the information fits in a cell very easily but i have one description that is huge. i made the cell 255x409 which is the max and what happened was part of the information showed and then the rest of the cell was blank. at that cell size there was more than enough room for all the data but for some reason it would not all show. i tried things like changing the alignment and it is on wrap text. i tried selectin...

Excluding Entire Data Fields in a Graph
I am trying to figure this out and there are a lot of other posts that skirt around this subject but none that specifically address my needs. I am using a bar graph and lets say for example I am using a chart of fruit picking that looks like this: Jun Jul Aug Sep Lemons 10 15 18 7 Apples 5 10 15 29 Oranges 9 20 17 33 Now my bar graph shows three bars labeled Lemons, Apples and Oranges. I have a drop down box where I can choose "Citrus" or "All Fruit" When I choose citrus the entire row of Apples in ...