How do you sort words in Excel by the number of letters in a word

I have a list of 5,000 words that I need sort by the number of letters in the
word for my students is this possible to do?  The words range from 1 letter
to 9 letters in a word.

0
Kinger1 (1)

with the use of a helper column
   =LEN(A1)

if you do not want to count spaces
   =LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))
---
HTH,

"Kinger" <Kinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A54E1927-E340-4CEF-9928-4893176C2E39@microsoft.com...
> I have a list of 5,000 words that I need sort by the number of letters in the
> word for my students is this possible to do?  The words range from 1 letter
> to 9 letters in a word.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
5/2/2005 10:36:52 PM
in another column (say, column B) enter:

B1:     =LEN(A1)

and copy down as far as necessary.

Sort columns A:B using column B as the sort key.

In article <A54E1927-E340-4CEF-9928-4893176C2E39@microsoft.com>,
 Kinger <Kinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a list of 5,000 words that I need sort by the number of letters in the
> word for my students is this possible to do?  The words range from 1 letter
> to 9 letters in a word.

0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Save email as word doc #2
Does anyone know how to save a Email message to a word document. When tring to select "as save type" word document, in the save as documents screen there is no choice to save as word doc. Is there a way to activate it in outlook 2003, the option was avaliable in earlier versions. You should be able to do this when you set Word as your e-mail editor and then reply on the message. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Tec" <anonymous@discussio...

Stop spilling to next cell without Word Wrap
I'm trying to stop the text I type into a cell from spilling over into the next cell without using Word Wrap. Searching through past messages I found that someone suggested putting ="" in the next cell to the right to make it look empty. I was wondering if there was a way that would make it so I didn't have to remember to type something in the next cell over. tj You could use event code to enter the space into the adjacent cell. Example code.......... Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) 'when entering data in any cell in Col A On Error GoTo en...

Replacing the Numbers
In my report I want to replace the value of my text data to a word. Example: in my report the TextBox: is (loc) which the "1", "2", "3" these are the records in the tables. They print out on the reports as 1, 2, and 3. I want to change that to read 1=ED, 2=EU and 3=EZ. And blank, if the user leave it blank as "NONE" I hope that's clear Thanks Check out your more recent thread with the same question. -- Duane Hookom MS Access MVP "bladelock" <bladelock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1FB81F68-1733-4174-8D...

Cannot open Excel attachments
Hello, I have a user that cannot open Excel attachments from inside Outlook. He gets a security message and is given an option to save the attachments or cancel. He can open all other attachments without this warning appearing. I checked his registry and he has .xls files in the exception that is posted on the MS KB. He has Excel 2002 and Outlook 2002. His e-mail comes through an Exchange server. I do not have special security settings in place for this user. I cannot find anything else on Google or MS. Please help. Thank you. Aaron Aaron hu kiteb: > Hello, I have a user that cannot op...

Outlook 2002 Contact Phone Number Field Formatting
Why don't phone numbers entered in the phone number contact fields on Outlook 2002 automatically format to include the paren's and hyphens? If this is suppose to happen, what is the setting to make it happen? They do here and always have. What are you seeing? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer mike <michael.kelner@fmr.com> asked: | Why don't phone numbers entered in the phone number | contact fields on Outlook 2002 automatically format to | include th...

Where's the Sort by New Message option?

Sorting

How to sort account list?

Row names will not move with sort

looking for Excel VBA work
I am looking for Excel VBA work... I have been working with excel and vba for the past 3 years. I am very involved in it. I love helping people. Although I do require some money for my work, I do not charge as high as most programmer's do. If you need some help or some work done, please contact me at conspiringfate@earthlink.net Mike -- conspiringfate ------------------------------------------------------------------------ conspiringfate's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31745 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?...

I want to format a number cell without the decimal and without ro.
I need to format the number cell so that it will still show the numbers after the decimal, but not show the decimal point at all. It must also display leading zeros, which is not a problem. I just need a way to strip the decimal from the number. If if needs to stay a number with the same value, I don't think you can do it. If you can change the value Just multiple the number by ten to the number of decimal places. If it can be text set up a new column and use =substitute(a1,".',"") "LAM" wrote: > I need to format the number cell so that it will sti...

2pg per sheet in word
Hello: I'm using microsoft office v.X on my G4 powermac. My question is this.......in a Word document how can I set it to print "2 pages per sheet." My secretary has this option on her windows version of Word.....I'm starting to fear that I'm out of luck on my mac version. Help??? Tim Manwell tmanwell@yahoo.com In article <1161627359.523379.144860@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, tmanwell@yahoo.com wrote: > Hello: > > I'm using microsoft office v.X on my G4 powermac. > > My question is this.......in a Word document how can I set it to prin...

Calculate sum of product in Excel 2003
Hi Guys, Sorry to bother you. I just couldn't find a way to solve it. Here is the scenario, A B 1 2 3 2 2 4 3 4 3 4 5 4 I need to find the sum of product in the column A and B. I can do this by using a third column. I simply find the products then sum them. I need to do this in one formula, not another column. I can do this by =a1*b1+a2*b2+....... The problem is the columns have over 50 values. Manually writing that would be real cumbersome. Any suggestion? Mosaddeq One of the few times that this is be...

sorts not sorting

import- number- sort?

Receiving excel files
Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to open it, I receive the error message 'file format is not valid'. These are all .xls files. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem ??? Doug What versions of XL? (if you have versions before 97 and you are sent 97 or above, the file formats are different) -- HTH Nick Hodge Southampton, England nick_hodge@btinternet.com "Doug" <dwire90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:01ae01c3903a$31837eb0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Whenever I receive an Excel file through email and try to > open it, I receive the...

amounts with letter inside the invoices
Since they can add amounts with letter inside the invoices, since a field does not exist as(like) in Checks that there exists a STRG A255 that turns the last occurrence of the information into letters, That it is possible to do, does not exist an opcion like that for the part of sales, or a SP has to be realized thanks, J Villar's ...

sorting macro #3

export from Publisher to Word for editing
How do I create text frames that autoflow? Or, how do I change a text frame to one that flows? jaylarha <jaylarha@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How do I create text frames that autoflow? Or, how do I change a text > frame to one that flows? I'm not sure what you mean by your question, when compared to your subject line. Are you using the Edit Story in Microsoft Word functionality? Are you trying to export your publication to Word format? If so, why? To create linked text boxes, use the chain link tool that appears when you have a text b...

starting Word from an Excel macro
I found this piece of code by Bob Phillips that opens a Word document from within an Excel macro. Dim oWord as Object Dim oDoc as Object Set oWord = CreateObject("Word.Application") oWord.Visible = True Set oDoc = oWord.Documents.Open("C:\personal\bob\personal\CV - RP (short).doc") It works fine but it also closes the Excel file that contains the macro. Is there a way to prevent the Excel file from closing? -- russ Russ, There's nothing in that snippet that will close the Excel Application. I think you need to post all yo...

Save Excel 2002 to be read by MacIntosh Excel 2004?
Is it possible for the MacIntosh Excel 2004 to read an Excel XP 2002 spreadsheet? How should XP spreadsheet be saved? HELP, please!! MacXL98/01/v.X/2004 files are the exact same format as WinXL97/00/02/03 files. Save the file as an XL workbook and transfer it to the Mac. In article <0D5EBD4E-E12F-4E2D-AC2C-F45E556284E9@microsoft.com>, "cagedbirdflies" <cagedbirdflies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is it possible for the MacIntosh Excel 2004 to read an Excel XP 2002 > spreadsheet? How should XP spreadsheet be saved? HELP, please!! "JE McGimpse...

Excel should allow macro on a shared workbook.
We are using excel tables all the time at my company. There are more than 20 people working on the same excel file which has thousands of columns so we use autofilter or some other macros. Shared workbook will help us alot because we will be able to change the file at the same time which is very time saving. Is there any way that macros are allowed at shared workbooks? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

Sorting checking register

Is the bug "Word does not remember position of window" still not fixed?