how do I type over a pic on excel

0
Shaun (103)

Unless you put the picture in the Background (Format/Sheet/Background),
in which case it will be tiled throughout the entire sheet, you can't
directly type over a picture because pictures "live" in the Drawing
layer above the cells.

You can make the picture transparent (Format/Picture) to see text in the
cells beneath.

You can also use the Camera Tool to create a linked picture of a cell
and position it on top of the other picture. Set the Fill to No fill,
and the border to No Line.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/1/2005 4:47:43 PM
What I do is to put a text box over the picture and format it with n
lines and no fill colour

--
Cutte
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=984

That works too. The only disadvantage vis-a-vis a linked picture is that
it's static, rather than allowing the results of a formula to be
displayed.

In article <Cutter.1up4ul_1125605174.6475@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 Cutter <Cutter.1up4ul_1125605174.6475@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

> What I do is to put a text box over the picture and format it with no
> lines and no fill colour.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/1/2005 8:50:22 PM
You could link the text box to the cell containing the formula.

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9848

How about putting a formula in a helper cell and linking it to the Text
box............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message
> That works too. The only disadvantage vis-a-vis a linked picture is that
> it's static, rather than allowing the results of a formula to be
> displayed.
>
> In article <Cutter.1up4ul_1125605174.6475@excelforum-nospam.com>,
>  Cutter <Cutter.1up4ul_1125605174.6475@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > What I do is to put a text box over the picture and format it with no
> > lines and no fill colour.

0
croberts (1377)

Pie of Pie Chart type with smaller pie showing slices of main slic
Hi How can I do the following: Lets say I have the following labels and data For the main pie I have A,B,C labels with A =5, B =10, and C =20. So my main pie would show 3 slices with C being the largest slice. To do this I highlight the 3 labels and their data and choose Insert, Pie, Pie in a Pie to show a main pie on the left with 3 slices and a smaller solid pie to the right with series lines connectiing them. I want to show the solid smaller pie on the right in several slices to show how the C slice of 20 is broken down. lets say the main slice C of 20 is made up ...

File encryption in excel.
Could someone please advise me how to De- encrypt files in Excel. I Encrypted a file some time ago, but cannot now find any item on the drop down menu's to enable me to de-encrypt. Thanx ...

Saving Excel sheets
How can I save an excel 2002 database so that someone using MSWorks can open it? Thanks I'm a Kid At Heart! Visit Heart-N-Soul Today! Robin wrote: > How can I save an excel 2002 database so that someone using MSWorks can open > it? > Thanks > > I'm a Kid At Heart! Visit Heart-N-Soul Today! > > No need to ask twice in two minutes - this isn't a chat room! Not knowing MS Works and the formats it can open, I can't say, but you might want to get your recipient to look here: www.openoffice.org and then your troubles would be over -- Interim Syste...

Typing in macros
I have made a few macros and use them in word and excel 2000. When I see typed out macros on the message boards I am not quite sure how to use them. Do I go into the editor, type them in and then link them with a button on the toolbar? What module do I put them in and is there one for the personal worksheet. I have been struggling with the syntax of Visual Basics for years. Just need a step by step explanation. Thank You Sue In general, the macros you see in the groups are likely to be ordinary macros that will go into a general module in the VBE, eg:- Hit ALT+F11 and this will...

can't open a Excel file
can't open a Excel file the message is " too many different cell formats" , yes i made many sheets in one Excel file , Please help ! i need open this file. Here's a link that explains your problem: XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 And some people have posted that opening in OpenOffice (free), fixing it up, and resaving will fix it. (http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD) gl88 wrote: > > can't open a Excel file the message is " too many different cell form...

Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types?
Hi, I am getting the above error message everytime I try to insert a chart or any type into a completely blank presentation using either the Insert, Chart command or the Insert Chart button in the Title and Content slide layout. I am using 2007. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA, Shane Devenshire Try running Office Diagnostics, Shane. Open PPT or Excel, hit the Office button, then <app> Options | Resources. I think that may resolve this issue. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007...

Connection from Excel to Access
I am developing an application in Excel that reads data from and writes data to an Access database. I am using VBA and have experimented a bit with various connection strings - without really knowing what I'm doing. Could someone please point me to some usefull examples? - or perhaps show the best (most reliable and fastest) connection string to use? Thanks in advance! Helge On Nov 25, 10:27=A0am, "Helge V. Larsen" <Helge.V.Larsen_Remove_this@Risoe_Remove_this.DK> wrote: > I am developing an application in Excel that reads data from and writes d= at...

Excel ODBC and dates...
Hi all, I'm using a label printing prog (Seagull - Bartender) to print some labels using ODBC data from Excel. (Win 2K and Office 2K - using "user DSN" for XLS files) Now dates appear OK in Excel ie: dd/mm/yyyy But when the data is accessed with ODBC they appear as follows: yyyy/mm/dd hh:mm:ss Help.. any ideas what's going on here? Regards, Doz ...

Outlook signature pic keeps moving?
Hi, I am trying to create a signature with a logo. The logo is the first item in the line with 5 lines of text next to it. It looks great in Front Page but when I try to use it in Outlook the picture always shows up about 4 lines down from the text. Can anyone please help me. Thx, KB KB <klbutton.msi@gmail.com> wrote: > I am trying to create a signature with a logo. The logo is the first > item in the line with 5 lines of text next to it. It looks great in > Front Page but when I try to use it in Outlook the picture always > shows up about 4 lines down from the text. Can a...

Open File Dialog to fileter multiple file types at once...?
Hello, Here is another quick one for you all. The solution is probably simple, but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I have the following code: CFileDialog OpenDlg(TRUE, NULL, NULL, OFN_ALLOWMULTISELECT | OFN_HIDEREADONLY, ""); // Later must set this to retrieve a value from the registry OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir = "c:\\"; OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrFilter = "txt Files\0*.txt\0Doc Files\0*.doc\0"; OpenDlg.DoModal(); I am trying to get the box to filter out everything but the *.doc and the *.txt files ... I have seen some boxes that have something that...

Excel should have semi-log graph plotting
excel should have charts that use semi log graph paper ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=7e3181d9-05f2-46a3-92cb-e2c8e421ee1f&dg=microsoft.public.excel.charting For a log y-axis, create ...

Excel Rows and Columns Issue
Thanks Anne, I haven't tried it, but I know it will do the trick. Thanks again! Cheers -- nexceluse ----------------------------------------------------------------------- nexceluser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1507 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26712 ...

Publisher will not print, but Word and EXCEL do
I have a printer problem using MS Office Publisher 2003. My friend just installed a Brother MFC-3820CN USB printer to his Windows XP Home (V2002 SP2) computer. He can print from his Word and EXCEL (2003) programs, but not his Publisher (2003 SP1) program. When the “Print” function is selected in Publisher, the following message appears: “A printer has not been installed on the system. Install a printer for Publisher to use. The fonts in your publication may look different as a result of the printer selection.” The printer functions fine in all the other programs. Currently, Publisher ...

Rectification of wrong posting type
Hi There is one PL account say "Mic Expenses" has got wrong posting type "Balance sheet", when we closed the year 2005 ,System has brought forward the balance of that account into next year 2006, which otherwise should have been gone into the Retain Earning of 2006, is there any option to rectify this error, other then passing rectifying JV in 2005(coz in that case if I take last year TB then ending balance of this account would be Zero) or restoring the backup and doing closing procedure again. Thanks in Advance Shabnam There is a Article ID for this in partner s...

Excel VBA
hi people, is there a way to setup a macro that records a time (like a stopwatc and the record this in a cell??? cheers stev -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Is it a specific time you want or a counter that rises as time passes To just get a specific time and record it in a cell you can use th NOW() function. Dunca -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi there, Just like a stopwatch, so i click a button to start and one to stop Hope that helps thanks stev -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you want something that counts visually on ...

need help to declard type=IntType instead type="xsd:int" with xml schema
Hi, I am writing C# code to produce xml schema. //Create attribute XmlSchemaAttribute att2 = new XmlSchemaAttribute(); att2.Name = "CustomerID"; att2.SchemaTypeName = new XmlQualifiedName("int",schemaNS); att2.Use = XmlSchemaUse.Required; ct.Attributes.Add(att2); I need to produce schema with custom data type instead of the xsd:string or xsd:int The code above will produce the following schema <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xsd:schema attributeFormDefault="unqualified" version="1.0" xmlns:xsd=...

I am looking for a Excel program that I can log my vehichles.
I am looking for a Excel program that I can log my vehichles. The maintenance, fuel, ect. Ok, you're on the right track. On row 1, just type your headings in... Date | Mileage | Fuel (gals) | Fuel ($$) | Maint./Notes ....basically whatever you want to keep track of. Then, just start entering your data. "Layne" wrote: > I am looking for a Excel program that I can log my vehichles. The > maintenance, fuel, ect. How about a Vehicle Service Record template? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC061061511033.aspx Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10...

Scatterplots with different colors based on Type of Data
Is it possible to plot a scatterplot with different colors for 2 sets of data? E.g Type of Agreement MRP Discount% Limited 10 5% UnLimited 20 10% I want to show different colors for Limited & Unlimited. Is it possible to plot scatterplots on both axis(Primary & Secondary) Please let me know. Thanks, Satish If I use this range to make a chart Limited 10 5% Unlimited ...

Forgotten Excel password
Does anybody know how to unlock an excel doc if I have forgotten the password i set for excel, 2007 version? Thanks "ashsud" <ashsud@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:770B68E6-9D0D-4F6E-8B3E-B42CC7B4A736@microsoft.com... > Does anybody know how to unlock an excel doc if I have forgotten the > password > i set for excel, 2007 version? > > Thanks Excel Utilities may be able to help although I haven't used it with Excel 2007. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ExcelUtilities.htm V ...

Excel true date formulas
I need to know how I can enter a date , 02/28/06 in one cell and then i another cell tell me if that date is true. It is to be used when there is a list of contracts, in one cell th date of expiry, and them another cell if that date has come to pass o not happened yet(expired, current) Will the "if" function work with real date -- spyde ----------------------------------------------------------------------- spyder's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3200 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51734 how about ...

outlook type interface
I have an SDI application and want to change it so I have a split window, on the left I want a TreeControl above a 'PropertyGrid' control. Then my exisiting SDI Client in the space on the right Can anyone point in the right direction to achieve this Any help will be much appreciated Thanks Phil You need to use two CSplitterWnds (as members of your CMainFrame). Override CMainFrame::OnCreateClient and create a vertical splitter as the main child (i.e. 1 row, 2 cols). Then you want to create a horz splitter as a child of the left-hand pane of the main splitter (which has 2 rows, 1 c...

can't save pics as jpg
I'm having trouble savings pictures sent to me as Jpegs. The "save as" only offers me the bitmap format, even though the original is a jpg. Anyone know why? Bruce B. berman@optonline.net What version of Outlook are you using? Note: this group does not support Outlook Express. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Bruce <berman@optonline.net> asked: | I'...

How DO I Increase The Excel Cell Comment Data Capacity?
Greetings, I am running: Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (11.8316.8221) SP3 My question is this: Is there a way for me to increase the maximum amount of data that an Excel spreadsheet "cell comment" will hold? Whenever I am working inside a .XLS spreadsheet, I frequently make use of the "cell comment" feature which allows me to make special notes or comments on selected spreadsheet cells. The problem is that sometimes when I am copying and pasting large amounts of data into the cell comments box that holds the comment, Excel seems to allow me to past...

Excel attachments open up in Powerpoint
Hi - I had tried to open an Excel file from a floppy using Powerpoint (don't ask....) This failed. I erased the file. Later I tried to open some other Excel files from existing e-mails I had previously received and stored in Outlook. *ALL* the Excel files are now opening up in Powerpoint ! If I Save the Excel attachment to the hard drive, then "open with" Excel, all is OK. But I can no longer just Open directly from the e-mail. Help would be appreciated. Thx. Go to Windows Explorer - Tools->Folder Options->File Types. Change the association for opening E...

'Selection too large' message in Excel 2003
When I fill down or copy and paste formats only, I continue to get a 'Selection too large' popup. It's happened on several different spreadsheets over a few weeks, so it's not an isolated incident. The PC I work from (a P4-2.8, 512MB RAM) was upgraded recently, as was Excel 2003, and I don't remember this being an issue using Excel 97 on a P4-2.4, 256MB system which I had prior to the upgrade. Also, we're running Windows 2000 on a Novell network. My config.sys has the following lines which may have some or no bearing on the problem: Files=40 Buffers=40 Stac...