How do I stop cells from expanding?

Hey all. Just got Excel 2003, and have a real basic question.

I'm working in large files with very long cells, and everytime i click into
one to edit it, it expands to take up almost the entire screen. Problem is, i
need to look at cells in other columns, and this is a huge pain. How do i get
it to stop?

Thanks in advance!

0
frodomojo (2)

If it is the formula bar that bothers you can turn it off temporarily under
view>formula bar

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"frodomojo" <frodomojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey all. Just got Excel 2003, and have a real basic question.
>
> I'm working in large files with very long cells, and everytime i click
> into
> one to edit it, it expands to take up almost the entire screen. Problem
> is, i
> need to look at cells in other columns, and this is a huge pain. How do i
> get
> it to stop?
>
> Thanks in advance!

0
terre081 (3244)
5/29/2005 6:48:34 PM
Don't double click, edit the cell in the formula bar.

--

_______________________
Naz,

"frodomojo" wrote:

> Hey all. Just got Excel 2003, and have a real basic question.
>
> I'm working in large files with very long cells, and everytime i click into
> one to edit it, it expands to take up almost the entire screen. Problem is, i
> need to look at cells in other columns, and this is a huge pain. How do i get
> it to stop?
>
> Thanks in advance!

0
Naz (61)
5/29/2005 9:28:02 PM
That did it! Ah....that's so much better.

Thanks!

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> If it is the formula bar that bothers you can turn it off temporarily under
> view>formula bar
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>

> "frodomojo" <frodomojo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hey all. Just got Excel 2003, and have a real basic question.
> >
> > I'm working in large files with very long cells, and everytime i click
> > into
> > one to edit it, it expands to take up almost the entire screen. Problem
> > is, i
> > need to look at cells in other columns, and this is a huge pain. How do i
> > get
> > it to stop?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

0
frodomojo (2)

update a date cell only when worksheet is edited
Hi. is there a function that updates the date cell automatically only when the worksheet is edited or something to that effect. thank you This might help http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html Regards Rowan Joe Black wrote: > Hi. is there a function that updates the date cell automatically only when > the worksheet is edited or something to that effect. thank you ...

expanding button
Hi, I received a excel file, where there is "+" sign on the left. If I click it, it expands and click it again collapses. What is that for? Also I see "1", "2" on the top left. If i click "1" all the "+" expand and if I click "2" all of them collapse. What is the difference in these two formulas: =+A32+A31 =A32+A31 See "About using outlines" in XL Help. The "+" in the first formula is superfluous. It's often used by Lotus users who have switched to XL. In article <4C95F8D7-03A9-4F48-A8DA-6F6A1F30A...

master reformat cells to comma delimited format
I want to transfer info from an excel spreadsheet and need to convert the large spreadsheet to a comma delimited format. Thoughts? Thanks! ...

Solving an equation in a cell
I have an excel spreadsheet that has a list of numbers that are 55% of a total that is unknown. Is there a way I can create a formula to figure out the total in a cell? Example: 26 - 55% of total My equation is: ..55 * x = 26 I need to solve for x. Is there a way to solve this in a cell? Answered in Worksheet forum. Please don't multipost. -- Andy. "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b62501c43773$454dcd70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have an excel spreadsheet that has a list of numbers > that are 55% of a total that is unkn...

Highlighting cell on value difference.
Hi I currently have the text changing colour if the value is greater (green) and (red) if the same or lower compared to the value in the previous cell. But i would like to have the background cell change colour if the value is 10% +/- difference from the previous cell as well. This would be very useful if any one could help. Thanks Try something like =ABS((A2-A1)/A1) > 0.10 "Neil" wrote: > Hi > > I currently have the text changing colour if the value is greater (green) > and (red) if the same or lower compared to the value in the previous ...

stops responding

Clear a range of cells given 2 Cell addresses
Hi I want to be a able to clear a rectangular area. I know the top most left corner address. I know the bottom righ corner address. all addresses are in the format r,c where r,c are integers. So I know cell 1 to have coordinates (r1,c1) and cell 2 to have coordinates (r2,c2). How can I issue a clear command to clear all data and formulas in this region? Thanks much in advance. Ekareem Hi Ekareem, Try ... range(cells(r1,c1), cells(r2,c2)).clearcontents. With kind regards, JP "ekareem" <ekareem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Inseting data in cells
I have a row of cells that have last names in them, is there a way I can insert some data into all of the cells, this data will be the same for all names. Ex Before jones1 After (alias=jones1) then if possible export all of the names to a word or text file all in one line. Ex (alias=jones1)(alias=smith2)(alias=johnson3) Thanks for any help!!!! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Assuming last names are in A2:Z2 Put in A3 :...

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

how to protect formulas in a cell
Hi everyone. You have cell where values are entered, but it has a formula in it. How can I protect the formula and still let the user enter data in it? Or How do I RESET the table to its orginal state. Say all cells should be set to "o" or "empty" and everything, formulas, formatting for the entire table goes back to when first opened. Please see Pic in attachement (having problems with my server uploading the file). Pls let me know if get to see the pic, I am learning... TIA Enrique +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Filename: ...

recipient policy stopped working

Count the Colorindex of a cell with a conditional format
Is there any way (with or without code) to count the number of cells that have a condition that displays a specific colorindex tied to a conditional format? Thanks, Barb Reinhardt Barb, I answered no to this once and Bob Philips corrected me and pointed me towards his page below. You can count conditionally formatted cells but it ain't easy. http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFConditions.html -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the questio...

Stop all macros
I have a button on a form, which should do different things depending on 1. The data contained within the current record; 2. Whether the current record is a 'new record'; 3. Whether the current record is the first record in the form. On click, an embedded macro is initiated. Each step in the embedded macro has a condition and a corresponding 'RunMacro' action. All the conditions are mutually exclusive, and each sub-macro has a final step of 'StopAllMacros'. So the embedded macro should trigger one, and only one sub-macro. However, it appears that what is act...

How to omit certain cells in formula
Hello If I have monthly data in a table, but data form April on is not available yet, but I would like to be inputted automatically from some other table when it becomes available there. So I put in the cell a formula =DATA!I49. And as the source is empty so far- I get the result of the formula '0'. But at the end of this line (that now includes data till March and for the next 9 months there are 0) I have formula for average- which by now also takes in to account the 0 in the line- which I do not want. What would be the best way to tell the excel that: calculate average in the lin...

Stopping the scroll bar
Hi all, this is my first time. I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here I go. I have created a template of an invoice the size of an A4 and would like to stop the scroll bar moving both horizantally and vertically in normal view just as if it was in print view. Is that possible through VBA and if yes what is the code that I would need to achieve such task. Thanks in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not too sure what you are after but you can remove the scrollbars with <Tools - Options> and then in the View tab, at the bottom,...

Data validation master cell
Is it possible to change what list is in a cell by selecting the name o that list from a "master" cell? For instance, say the master cell is A1, and it's validation lis contains the list "cats, dogs, horses". The list in B1 would be based on what list is selected in A1. Fo instance, if A1 was set to "cats", then the choices in B1 would b something like, "Calico, Tomcat, housecat, Siamese". What I really want to do though, is only have one "master" cell an have dependent cells that change depending on the master. So, if A1 is the master,...

Sending value to a cell
Hi there, I want to dump a computed value into a cell that isn't the one the calculation was done in. Can it be done from the original cell? Hi no, not with a formula -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "CM32134" <CM32134@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0768C79B-586C-42CB-A7AE-1A817C4CE5F5@microsoft.com... > Hi there, > I want to dump a computed value into a cell that isn't the one the > calculation was done in. Can it be done from the original cell? A worksheet formula returns a value and can do nothing else. Think...

How to have multiple columns in excel that will expand and colaps.
I have a large about of tiered data, multiple columns, that I would like for the users to be able to expand and colapse on by each column level to view that level of data. Is there a method of doing this. It's hard to understand what you are wanting from what you say. Provide some detail about what the data looks like at the start, then what it looks like after expanding and then what it looks like after collapsing. Don't attach a file to your post. Just describe what you have and want. HTH Otto "columnhelp" <columnhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in me...

Cell names of merged cells
I have a two columns merged together. I have given each merged cell a name. However, the name appears not only in the name box but also in the cell itself. How do I get it not to show in the cell? How did you name the cells? Insert>Name>Define or Insert>Name>Create? I find an easy way to create multiple cell names is to have a list of names in Column A. Insert>Name>Create>Left Column>OK Now you can delete the data from column A. The created names will remain. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:47:01 -0700, DLB <DLB@discus...

PivotTable
Hi, I have a PivotTable with two columns - student names and tuition. I highlighted the **grand total tuition** with fill color. Please note that only ONE cell had this format. However, when I changed the column of student names to a row of student names (by moving the "button"), all the tuition (and not just the grand total) had the fill color. Is this a bug? Is there a way to get around this? I know I can remove the fill color first, change from column to row then put back the fill color. Just wondering if there is a better way. Appreciate advice. Epinn ...

Stopping a Campaign Temporarily
Hi, My client has executed the campaign in Jan 1st 2006 and the end date is Dec 31st 2006. But he wants to stop the campaign temporarily from 15th July 2006 and again start it from 1st Aug 2006. So what is that I need to do for this thing, i have never come across this kind of situation before. Thanks in advance. Regards, Shabbir. ...

Looking up the rounded value in a cell, not linking to the value.
What function will look up the rounded value appearing in a cell, rather than the value including all digits of precision. Suppose cell A31 has this value in it: 34.23942498747 And the value is rounded in that cell to 2 digits: 34.24 What function can I enter in cell A2 to reference the value in cell A31 and display its rounding value in A2? This seems like an Excel 1.0 question but I do not know the answer. Thanks. John Wirt On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 20:51:39 -0500, "John Wirt" <someone@toward.com> wrote: >What function will look up the rounded valu...