How do I split a cell into 3 different cells in excel?

I'm trying to build a spreadsheet with 3 columns and then on the second row
one of the columns is split into 3 but I don't know how to do this!!
0
K8 (3)

Hi

you can not split a cell in excel, you can, however, merge them ... so if
you use 5 columns, merge three cells in the first row and play around with
the sizing you might be able to achieve what you're after.

A note however, merged cells can be a nightmare later on down the track with
sorting / filtering etc.

Cheers
JulieD

"K8" <K8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to build a spreadsheet with 3 columns and then on the second
> row
> one of the columns is split into 3 but I don't know how to do this!!

0
JulieD1 (2295)
1/6/2005 11:02:08 AM
thanks Julie, K8

"JulieD" wrote:

> Hi
>
> you can not split a cell in excel, you can, however, merge them ... so if
> you use 5 columns, merge three cells in the first row and play around with
> the sizing you might be able to achieve what you're after.
>
> A note however, merged cells can be a nightmare later on down the track with
> sorting / filtering etc.
>
> Cheers
> JulieD
>
> "K8" <K8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to build a spreadsheet with 3 columns and then on the second
> > row
> > one of the columns is split into 3 but I don't know how to do this!!

0
K8 (3)
1/6/2005 1:09:02 PM
not sure what you have in mind but try text to columns on
data menu.

0
anonymous (74721)
1/6/2005 1:37:47 PM
I generally do not merge cells in a worksheet/workbook because once you start
merging, you won't be able to sort without the possibility of loosing
information.
I like to use a separate column for all of my headers and work down and
across for each new subset of data.

example:
Jan Sales
               Mark      Susan      Joan

"K8" wrote:

> I'm trying to build a spreadsheet with 3 columns and then on the second row
> one of the columns is split into 3 but I don't know how to do this!!
I have found this problem long after it has been posted but I do a lot of
spread sheets and "HAD" the same problem.  The previous comments were all
true as far as I know, but the trick to achieve what you are trying to do is
to:

=> Type the Heading into the 1st of the Three Cells
=> Select All 3 Cells
=> Format
=> Alignment
=> Horizontal
=> Scroll Down to Center Across Selection & Select

This allows you to Sort the Data As Well.

Note - Do Not Put any information into the the cells to the right of the
first cell where the heading is.

"K8" wrote:

> I'm trying to build a spreadsheet with 3 columns and then on the second row
> one of the columns is split into 3 but I don't know how to do this!!
0
CCW (4)