how do i setup a database that columns add up at the end of the we

i am new at this so please send me any info to oldfartlink@hotmail.com

Most people might say put a formula at the bottom of the list of numbers.
For example, you have numbers in column B and they go from row 2 to row 154,
in B155 (or anywhere else, pretty much), you could put this formula:
=SUM(B2:B155)

The 'problem' with that is that you can't just add to the bottom of the
list, you have to keep inserting rows to push that formula on down the sheet.
 Try putting a SUM formula near the TOP of the column.  Let's say you have
the title for a column in row 1, then you start your number entries in row 2.
 Insert a new row 2 and put this formula in B2:
=Sum(B3:B500)
now B2 will show you the total of all numbers entered into column B below
row 2 until you have entered numbers beyond row 500.  Then you just up the
second number to something like =SUM(B3:B1000) or you can start with a really
big number to begin with, but remember that making it really large, and
making it look at a big excess number of empty cells can affect performance.

If you want to do away with having to ever mess with the formula again, if
you're using a version of Excel earlier than 2007, just enter
=SUM(B3:B65536)
and that covers all the bases, so to speak.
"oldfartlink" wrote:

> i am new at this so please send me any info to oldfartlink@hotmail.com

thank you for the info. its a start. im new to the pc world except for the
online games.At 51 i thought i would try my skills with something a little
more challenging for my office . thanx again.  oldfartlink

"JLatham" wrote:

> Most people might say put a formula at the bottom of the list of numbers.
> For example, you have numbers in column B and they go from row 2 to row 154,
> in B155 (or anywhere else, pretty much), you could put this formula:
> =SUM(B2:B155)
>
> The 'problem' with that is that you can't just add to the bottom of the
> list, you have to keep inserting rows to push that formula on down the sheet.
>  Try putting a SUM formula near the TOP of the column.  Let's say you have
> the title for a column in row 1, then you start your number entries in row 2.
>  Insert a new row 2 and put this formula in B2:
> =Sum(B3:B500)
> now B2 will show you the total of all numbers entered into column B below
> row 2 until you have entered numbers beyond row 500.  Then you just up the
> second number to something like =SUM(B3:B1000) or you can start with a really
> big number to begin with, but remember that making it really large, and
> making it look at a big excess number of empty cells can affect performance.
>
> If you want to do away with having to ever mess with the formula again, if
> you're using a version of Excel earlier than 2007, just enter
> =SUM(B3:B65536)
> and that covers all the bases, so to speak.
> "oldfartlink" wrote:
>
> > i am new at this so please send me any info to oldfartlink@hotmail.com

Always a good thing to keep the brain busy.

-- anolderphart

"oldfartlink" wrote:

> thank you for the info. its a start. im new to the pc world except for the
> online games.At 51 i thought i would try my skills with something a little
> more challenging for my office . thanx again.  oldfartlink
>
> "JLatham" wrote:
>
> > Most people might say put a formula at the bottom of the list of numbers.
> > For example, you have numbers in column B and they go from row 2 to row 154,
> > in B155 (or anywhere else, pretty much), you could put this formula:
> > =SUM(B2:B155)
> >
> > The 'problem' with that is that you can't just add to the bottom of the
> > list, you have to keep inserting rows to push that formula on down the sheet.
> >  Try putting a SUM formula near the TOP of the column.  Let's say you have
> > the title for a column in row 1, then you start your number entries in row 2.
> >  Insert a new row 2 and put this formula in B2:
> > =Sum(B3:B500)
> > now B2 will show you the total of all numbers entered into column B below
> > row 2 until you have entered numbers beyond row 500.  Then you just up the
> > second number to something like =SUM(B3:B1000) or you can start with a really
> > big number to begin with, but remember that making it really large, and
> > making it look at a big excess number of empty cells can affect performance.
> >
> > If you want to do away with having to ever mess with the formula again, if
> > you're using a version of Excel earlier than 2007, just enter
> > =SUM(B3:B65536)
> > and that covers all the bases, so to speak.
> > "oldfartlink" wrote:
> >
> > > i am new at this so please send me any info to oldfartlink@hotmail.com

Add additional header or data into excel after exporting
Hi, I am exporting data from datagrid into excel. lets says that the grid has 3 sets of information in columns like (billing address, shipping address and order info). If I export it, it creates an excel document but I want to write additional header like "Billing Infomation", "Shipping address", "Orders" above the columns on the excel generated. Basically I want to add additional info into the excel after or before the excel is generated. Any suggestions on how this can be done? Can it be done via asp.net application or should it be done after...

Page Setup
Hi, I have a problem with Excel XP in that when I preview a page which is in Landscape, it automatically displays as portrait. When I resize it, it goes back to landscape but then back to portarit again ! Any ideas ? Many thanks. Colin. If you change printer drivers, does it happen? If no, then I'd download a newer/fresh printer driver for that troublesome printer. Any chance you have some helpful macro jumping in to fix the page setup for you? If you open the workbook with macros disabled, does it still happen? Colin wrote: > > Hi, > > I have a problem with Excel X...

The best Exchange setup in a small hosting setup
I need to set up at small hosting setup where the users can access their email through RPC-HTTPS and webmail. But what do I need? One ISA server? One front-end server? One back-end server? Some clustering or is it overkill? Best Regards Martin - You can do it with as little as a single Exchange server and a firewall. - In a single server environment, FE/BE topology doesn't really buy you much... - Clustering can be an overkill or not, depending on what your goals are. If high-availability is a valued goal, you could look at clustering (and the investments that go with a clustered ...

Automating column "best fit".
I have Access2003 & WindowsXP. I have a crosstab query to give me a debtors trial balance, and many other crosstab queries such as sales per year etc. Now and then I use the right-click "column-width best fit" to size the crosstab columns so as to reduce the size of the column widths. Can this be done *automatically* so that the columns are so sized on opening the crosstab? Please help, Fran ...

MFC Database programming #2
Hi! I have an MFC project, which use an MS-ACCESS db. is there any control, which brings capability the same as DataGrid of a Windows Form, to Dialog forms of MFC? ...

Applicant front-end/integration?
I have a customer who would like to implement a kiosk where applicants could initially complete the application online. They don't need anything fancy and already own GP HR and Payroll. They would really like to be able to eliminate their paper application by providing applicants with an online form (3rd party or build with InfoPath?) that they could then import into GP HR. Any recommendations? ...

columns in detail
i have a multi page report and i want to reduce paper waste by splitting ONLY the detail section of my report in two columns. except from page header i have three more headers following below so if i uncheck the same as detail option on page setup i cannot solve my problem. my detail section contains the fields "cross" and "reference". it is a very complex report so i would like to avoid inserting subreport. my goal is to have access create automatically two columns for my data since data are grouped by "code" and my report prints data for 15000 co...

How to quote the texts in a column?
I am new, please help. eg. in column A, I have A1: money, A2: cash, I wanted them: A1 'money', A2: 'cash', how to do that? Thank -- ecuse ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ecuser's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1559 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27147 the single quotation mark tells excel that you are entering text so tr using two single quotation marks before the word. Let me know if this what you wanted -- dcronj -----------------------------------...

excel page setup
Hello, I have a spreadsheet and I am using cells a:k50, but when I go to see the end of my spreadsheet it tells me I have used cells a:ak 295. I have 35 sheets like this and is is making the file bigger than it has to be. I have tried deleting, clear, page preview setup but nothing seems to clear and make my page a1: k53. Any suggestions. Thank You Select the row following the end of your data. Ctrl+Shift+Down Arrow to select all rows beyond your data and Edit>Delete. Select the column following the end of your data. Ctrl+Shift+Right Arrow (US) to select all columns beyond your data...

Not seeing database window after upgrading.
I've just upgraded a Access 2000 version to Access 2003. In the 2000 version I could see the database window but no longer in 2003. How do I get the Database to appear in 2003. Also, I actually have two machines running Access 2003. One machine opens with database window and the second one doesn't. I tried the f11 key but that doesn't do anything. Thanks Don ...

Account setup is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
I just upgraded to money '05 because my bank no longer allows acess using money '02. I have been getting this message for TWO WEEKS now. I set up three accounts with no problem, then this message over and over every day. I have tried starting a new account and I still get the same message. Surely MS's server has not been down this whole time, so I guess the problem is on my end. Please Help! In microsoft.public.money, lostmymirth wrote: >I just upgraded to money '05 because my bank no longer allows acess using >money '02. I have been getting this message for T...

[ANN] The Entourage Help Blog: "Updated Exchange setup script supports Entourage 2008"
I've posted version 2.0 of my EntourageExchangeSetup AppleScript on The Entourage Help Page that includes support for Microsoft Entourage 2008's Kerberos feature as well as some minor additions and bug fixes. This AppleScript is intended to be modified by an administrator to assist his Entourage users with the setups of their Exchange server accounts. It has been tested specifically with Entourage 2004 11.2.6, 11.3.3, 11.3.7 and Entourage 12.00, 12.0.1 and 12.1.0 but should work with any version of Entourage 2004 SP2 (11.2.0) and higher. Every company's network is different...

Column headings #2
In Excel 2000 Can the Column Headings A, B, C, etc be changed No (except to 1,2,3,...). But you can enter and format cells as headers in row 1, then freeze it and finally hide the ABC stuff in Tools > Options. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Excel MVP Followup to newsgroup only please. "Michelle" <SBC@SmithBarta.Com> wrote in message news:026b01c36bf2$dccbfe80$a101280a@phx.gbl... > In Excel 2000 Can the Column Headings A, B, C, etc be > changed ...

Database Spiltting
Hi, I have mapped the front-end on my machine to the back-end on the company server using UNC mapping. It does not allow me to add and edit records from the front end on my machine. However when I map the front-end on my machine to the back end on the server using drive mapping. It allows me to add new records and edit records. Can anyone advise why this may be happening. -- How1 hi How1, How1 wrote: > I have mapped the front-end on my machine to the back-end on the company > server using UNC mapping. It does not allow me to add and edit records from > the front end on m...

Using ADD function within DCOUNT criteria
I am trying to use a DCOUNT function, and need to have two criteria. How do I use the AND function within the criteria? I can do it using one criteria at a time, but when I use AND to use two criteria, I get an error. What sytax do I use? Many thanks Dave, I don't think you can, unless you set up a helper column that has your conditions, then use that in your DCOUNT function. Something like: =AND(A2>0, A2<100, B2 = "Normal"). This one's for A2 values between 0 and 100, and B2 contains the word Normal. Or use SUMPRODUCT instead: =SUMPRODUCT( (A2:A100 > 0) *...

Adding and subtracting from a column.
I have a stock list with a "quantity" column. What I would like to do is add the new stock to the existing quantity column or subtract requisitioned items from the quantity column. I guess it is a "self totaling" column I need to make. As a separate exercise I would like to make a new column for orders. Insert a quantity on that column for any of the items ( rows) I want to order and then print it out... BUT I only want to print the rows that have quantities in that column ( i.e. the actual items I am ordering ). This column is not linked to the above column. Could an...

SETUP
HOW DO I SET IT UP. Windows Mail: Setting up an account from start to finish http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Windows-Mail-setting-up-an-account-from-start-to-finish -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "home" <phillipsjamest@att.net> wrote in message news:u1ikLZSALHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > HOW DO I SET IT UP. "home" <phillipsjamest@att.net> wrote in message news:u1ikLZSALHA.980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > HOW DO I SET IT UP. Start here and look for mail settings. ht...

Formatting Rows / Columns of a Report
Ok i am having trouble wrapping my brain around this one. I have a table, tblTotals, with Fields: Station, WeekEnd, Revenue. (text, date, number respectively). The WeekEnd date is always a Friday. Here is some example data: ATL 1/9/2009 2000 BWI 1/9/2009 5000 LAX 1/9/2009 8000 ATL 1/16/2009 3500 .... I need to create a report that is similar to a CrossTab Query in format. Not sure if that is possible. So the Row Headers would be the Stations, and the Column Headers would be the WeekEnd Dates. i.e. 1/9/2009 1/16/2009 ...

Pos data inserted in 2 databases simultaneously
Please excuse my knowledge on the database systems. Is there a way, where as the cashier hits the tender button, the transaction data goes in to two databaes. i.e as the data is inserted in to the store server, it is also replicated in to another database of the same structure. We are testing with some data redundancy model, where all activity at the POS is duplicated. Please HELP ...

Anonymous Access setup
I have a request to turn on anonymous access (MOSS 2007). We only have one Site collection and it’s an Intranet that uses Authentication Type; Windows and Integrated Windows Authentication. It seems straight forward first Enable IIS Anonymous Authentication, second Enable anonymous access for the Web Application needed, turn on anonymous access for list or site. Question: If I turn on anonymous access without enabling it on any sites or lists will my users notice anything different? I assume they will not notice anything. Next question; if I enable anonymous authentication on...

Running Total Column
Hello Group Excel, I am using Excel 2003. My computation Columns are "E" to "J". Column "I" is the Total. Column "J" is the Running Total. With the following data: E F G H I J ..12 2.12 .09 -3.25 -.92 -.92 ..08 1.99 .03 -2.99 -.89 -1.81 ..10 2.05 .07 -3.15 -.93 -2.74 ((In the "J" Column when there is no)) -2.74 ((amount in Columns "E...

How do I set up icons in excel in one column using data from anoth
I fiddle around with shares and and want to show ups and downs. When I use the arrows it takes the dat away so I want the arrow to show on say column C but reading from the data in column B. There does not seem to be anywhere to input source data. Clear as mud!!!!!!! I figured out how to do what you want. I hope you are not using a shape for the arrow because it won't work. You need to add a unicode symbol to get it to work. Belwo is a sample of the results you are look for. =IF(A1 > 0,"&#8593;","&#8595;") To get the up and down ...

2 Axis Charting with Column and Line Formats
I have a 6 series chart, with two axis'. The primary axis is in column format, and the secondary axis is in line format. I want to add a seventh series (plotted on the secondary axis). Excel does this but changes the four series to now be plotted on the primary axis with the column format. I can change the fourth series to be plotted on the secondary axis, however it is still displayed in the column format (and now being plotted in front of, rather than beside the first three series). Excel seems to plot the first half of the series in a column format (which ever axis is on), ...

Profile Setup
When I enter the server name and mailbox name when setting up an Outlook 2003 profile, how does it lookup the name? It seems I can put any name in the server area as long as I have a valid mailbox name. I used a made up server name and it still resolved the mailbox. Thanks, Outlook 2003 uses the Global Catalog servers in an AD environment. (Exchange 200x refers Outlook 2000/2003 to the GCs.) Outside of that, I didn't think what you just did was possible since a new profile (o/s and outlook) shouldn't have a reference to a GC until checking in with Exchange. Guess Outlook ...

the business contact manager database has been removed from this profile...
I'm getting this error. "the business contact manager database has been removed from this profile, because this version of business contact manager does not support Microsoft Exchange server e-mail accounts. Please use a profile that doesn not contain an exchange server e-mail account. If you don't have such a profile, you can create a new one. To manager your profiles, click start, click control panel.... Off thing is that I installed from the disk that came with the package of stuff we got when we purchased our Exchange 2003 installation disks. Did I get the wrong thing? Su...