How do I set up a payroll spreadsheet will update weekly?

I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how to set up a payroll
spreadsheet that uses a formula to update payroll weekly
0
torit (1)

Try this Microsoft link. I think that it is probably what you need.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010843671033.aspx

--
Regards,

OssieMac

"torit" wrote:

> I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how to set up a payroll
> spreadsheet that uses a formula to update payroll weekly
0
OssieMac (238)
3/21/2009 3:53:01 AM
"torit" wrote:
> I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how
> to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula
> to update payroll weekly

If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects complete
lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
professional help.  I mean from an Excel programmer :-).  Actually, a
professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.

I would not rely on any template.  Payroll maintenance is affected by a lot
of state law as well as federal law.  No template can possibly handle the
varied law for all states.  And I would even be suspicious of the correctness
in handling federal law correctly.

You are way over your head.  Don't trust yourself to do this right.
>You are way over your head.
>Don't trust yourself to do this right.

You have to start somewhere! <g>

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"joeu2004@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:721396C7-5DA1-4A7F-9B70-EEFDB0A25F01@microsoft.com...
> "torit" wrote:
>> I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how
>> to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula
>> to update payroll weekly
>
> If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects
> complete
> lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
> professional help.  I mean from an Excel programmer :-).  Actually, a
> professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.
>
> I would not rely on any template.  Payroll maintenance is affected by a
> lot
> of state law as well as federal law.  No template can possibly handle the
> varied law for all states.  And I would even be suspicious of the
> correctness
> in handling federal law correctly.
>
> You are way over your head.  Don't trust yourself to do this right.

0
biffinpitt (3171)
3/21/2009 6:09:52 PM
T. Valko wrote:
>> You are way over your head.
>> Don't trust yourself to do this right.
>
> You have to start somewhere! <g>

Yes but payroll is NOT the place to start!
besides, there are so many commercial packages available right across
the price range, that will take care of everything, including taxes and
the legal side, why re-invent the wheel?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level
"T. Valko" wrote:
> >You are way over your head.
> >Don't trust yourself to do this right.
>
> You have to start somewhere! <g>

Yes, but not with payroll -- unless it is a classroom situation.

You are trying to be cute, I know.  But this is a serious matter.  In the
US, at least -- and note that the OP did indicate the country -- payroll
management involves a fiduciary duty.  Failure to carry out that duty can
result in serious civil, if not criminal, prosecution and litigation, or at
least it will have financial consequences (e.g. IRS penalties and interest).

For all we know, the OP is a professional bookkeeper or account who
understands that fiduciary duty.  But I hope you agree that the nature of the
OP's question reflects that the OP is totally clueless about Excel -- "a"
formula to update payroll weekly?!

If the OP "has to start somewhere", it should probably be a beginner's class
in Excel, not crafting a payroll spreadsheet.

Just my opinion.

----- original posting -----

"T. Valko" wrote:
> >You are way over your head.
> >Don't trust yourself to do this right.
>
> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "joeu2004@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in message news:721396C7-5DA1-4A7F-9B70-EEFDB0A25F01@microsoft.com...
> > "torit" wrote:
> >> I am not familiar with Excel and need to know how
> >> to set up a payroll spreadsheet that uses a formula
> >> to update payroll weekly
> >
> > If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects
> > complete
> > lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
> > professional help.  I mean from an Excel programmer :-).  Actually, a
> > professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.
> >
> > I would not rely on any template.  Payroll maintenance is affected by a
> > lot
> > of state law as well as federal law.  No template can possibly handle the
> > varied law for all states.  And I would even be suspicious of the
> > correctness
> > in handling federal law correctly.
> >
> > You are way over your head.  Don't trust yourself to do this right.

Geez!

Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to inject some "light banter" in a
post you reply to.

--

in message news:E6C18569-690B-45AB-88A5-2F79C1E2DDDD@microsoft.com...
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>> >You are way over your head.
>> >Don't trust yourself to do this right.
>>
>> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>
> Yes, but not with payroll -- unless it is a classroom situation.
>
> You are trying to be cute, I know.  But this is a serious matter.  In the
> US, at least -- and note that the OP did indicate the country -- payroll
> management involves a fiduciary duty.  Failure to carry out that duty can
> result in serious civil, if not criminal, prosecution and litigation, or
> at
> least it will have financial consequences (e.g. IRS penalties and
> interest).
>
> For all we know, the OP is a professional bookkeeper or account who
> understands that fiduciary duty.  But I hope you agree that the nature of
> the
> OP's question reflects that the OP is totally clueless about Excel -- "a"
> formula to update payroll weekly?!
>
> If the OP "has to start somewhere", it should probably be a beginner's
> class
> in Excel, not crafting a payroll spreadsheet.
>
> Just my opinion.
>

> ----- original posting -----
>
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>> >You are way over your head.
>> >Don't trust yourself to do this right.
>>
>> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "joeu2004@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote
>> in message news:721396C7-5DA1-4A7F-9B70-EEFDB0A25F01@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> > If you are "not familiar with Excel" -- and your question reflects
>> > complete
>> > lack of knowledge about it (asking for "a" formula) -- you should get
>> > professional help.  I mean from an Excel programmer :-).  Actually, a
>> > professional bookkeeper or accountant who knows Excel.
>> >
>> > I would not rely on any template.  Payroll maintenance is affected by a
>> > lot
>> > of state law as well as federal law.  No template can possibly handle
>> > the
>> > varied law for all states.  And I would even be suspicious of the
>> > correctness
>> > in handling federal law correctly.
>> >
>> > You are way over your head.  Don't trust yourself to do this right.

0
biffinpitt (3171)
3/21/2009 9:18:02 PM
"T. Valko" wrote:
> Geez!  Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to inject
> some "light banter" in a post you reply to.

And it'll probably be the last time that Obama makes "light banter" in
reference to any special group (like the Special Olympics). ;-) ;-)

I guess we are all guilty of over-reacting from time to time.  Mea culpa!
On Mar 21, 1:18 pm, "T. Valko" <biffinp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Geez!  Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to
> inject some "light banter" in a post you reply to.

FYIm, I responded using the MS "discussion group" web interface, but
the response does not appear in Google Groups.  It might not appear on
your news server either.

This is a recurring, albeit intermittent problem.  My first response
in this thread also does not appear in Google Groups, but my second
response does.  All of my responses in this thread were posted using
the MSDG web interface.

Normally, I do not use the MSDG web interface.  However, I do use it
when the initial article does not in Google Groups, and I want to
respond to the initial article or to another response in the thread
that does not appear in Google Groups.

----- original posting -----

On Mar 21, 1:18=A0pm, "T. Valko" <biffinp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Geez!
>
> Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to inject some "light banter" in a
> post you reply to.
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
> "joeu2...@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmail...@discussions.microsoft.com> wro=
te
> in messagenews:E6C18569-690B-45AB-88A5-2F79C1E2DDDD@microsoft.com...

> >> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>
> > Yes, but not with payroll -- unless it is a classroom situation.
>
> > You are trying to be cute, I know. =A0But this is a serious matter. =A0=
In the
> > US, at least -- and note that the OP did indicate the country -- payrol=
> > management involves a fiduciary duty. =A0Failure to carry out that duty=
 can
> > result in serious civil, if not criminal, prosecution and litigation, o=
> > at
> > least it will have financial consequences (e.g. IRS penalties and
> > interest).
>
> > For all we know, the OP is a professional bookkeeper or account who
> > understands that fiduciary duty. =A0But I hope you agree that the natur=
e of
> > the
> > OP's question reflects that the OP is totally clueless about Excel -- "=
a"
> > formula to update payroll weekly?!
>
> > If the OP "has to start somewhere", it should probably be a beginner's
> > class
> > in Excel, not crafting a payroll spreadsheet.
>
> > Just my opinion.
>
> > ----- original posting -----

> >> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>
> >> --
> >> Biff
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
> >> "joeu2...@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmail...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote
> >> in messagenews:721396C7-5DA1-4A7F-9B70-EEFDB0A25F01@microsoft.com...

0
joeu2004 (766)
3/22/2009 7:17:23 AM
>It might not appear on your news server either.

Yeah, I see it.

It's all good!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"joeu2004" <joeu2004@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Mar 21, 1:18 pm, "T. Valko" <biffinp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Geez!  Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to
> inject some "light banter" in a post you reply to.

FYIm, I responded using the MS "discussion group" web interface, but
the response does not appear in Google Groups.  It might not appear on
your news server either.

This is a recurring, albeit intermittent problem.  My first response
in this thread also does not appear in Google Groups, but my second
response does.  All of my responses in this thread were posted using
the MSDG web interface.

Normally, I do not use the MSDG web interface.  However, I do use it
when the initial article does not in Google Groups, and I want to
respond to the initial article or to another response in the thread
that does not appear in Google Groups.

----- original posting -----

On Mar 21, 1:18 pm, "T. Valko" <biffinp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Geez!
>
> Sorry, that'll be the last time I try to inject some "light banter" in a
> post you reply to.
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
> "joeu2...@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmail...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote
> in messagenews:E6C18569-690B-45AB-88A5-2F79C1E2DDDD@microsoft.com...

> >> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>
> > Yes, but not with payroll -- unless it is a classroom situation.
>
> > You are trying to be cute, I know. But this is a serious matter. In the
> > US, at least -- and note that the OP did indicate the country -- payroll
> > management involves a fiduciary duty. Failure to carry out that duty can
> > result in serious civil, if not criminal, prosecution and litigation, or
> > at
> > least it will have financial consequences (e.g. IRS penalties and
> > interest).
>
> > For all we know, the OP is a professional bookkeeper or account who
> > understands that fiduciary duty. But I hope you agree that the nature of
> > the
> > OP's question reflects that the OP is totally clueless about Excel --
> > "a"
> > formula to update payroll weekly?!
>
> > If the OP "has to start somewhere", it should probably be a beginner's
> > class
> > in Excel, not crafting a payroll spreadsheet.
>
> > Just my opinion.
>
> > ----- original posting -----

> >> You have to start somewhere! <g>
>
> >> --
> >> Biff
> >> Microsoft Excel MVP
>
> >> "joeu2...@hotmail.com" <joeu2004hotmail...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote
> >> in messagenews:721396C7-5DA1-4A7F-9B70-EEFDB0A25F01@microsoft.com...

0
biffinpitt (3171)
3/22/2009 5:01:45 PM
On Mar 22, 9:01=A0am, "T. Valko" <biffinp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > It might not appear on your news server either.
>
> Yeah, I see it.

Interesting.  What news server and newsreader do you use?

This might help me understand the root cause of the problem.
0
joeu2004 (766)
3/22/2009 6:59:15 PM
Server: msnews.microsoft.com

Application: OutLook Express

--

On Mar 22, 9:01 am, "T. Valko" <biffinp...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > It might not appear on your news server either.
>
> Yeah, I see it.

Interesting.  What news server and newsreader do you use?

This might help me understand the root cause of the problem.

0
biffinpitt (3171)

setting up new outlook mail account

OWA Set Rule problem

Latest version of Excel that will read Excel 5 files
Will Excel 2002 read Excel 5 files? What about Excel 2003? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi will do. My Excel 2003 reads and saves Excel 95 files as well Frank > Will Excel 2002 read Excel 5 files? What about Excel 2003? Just to be sure there's no misunderstanding, I meant Excel 5.0, the version that preceded Office 95. Excel 5.0, when packaged with Office, was part of Office 4.3. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Yes -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "dderolph >" <<dderolph.10lrct@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in mes...

How to set backcolour

Warning: Windows update may make your computer run worse!
The quality assurance section at Redmond must be out to lunch permanently. IE 8 update makes IE show your IE explorer history and .wmv videos no longer automatically runs in media player. These are just a few quirks. Vista is the worst operating system since Windows ME. I use Vista Ultimate in one machine and it locks me out of many directories when using explorer. long time windows user;1220997 Wrote: > The quality assurance section at Redmond must be out to lunch > permanently. IE 8 update makes IE show your IE explorer history > and .wmv videos no longer automatica...

Outlook 2003 Disconnected from Exchange Server 2003, will not reconnect.
Two days ago after setting up a mobile phone to act as a modem for my laptop, testing it, and disabling the dial-up connection associated with it, and reconnecting to my domain and usual network (non-GPRS) I find that I can no longer connect to my Exchange Server. The "Working Offline" icon shows up in the lower-right hand corner of the Outlook Client window, and when I uncheck "Work Offline", I get prompted for a username and password. Normally, I should just be able to cancel out of this window and Outlook works fine again. However, since two days ago, it does not. Th...

Set Regional Settings but not Language

what's wrong with before update event procedure
Hi, here is my code event procedure for a check box. I want to allow some users to change its state and to prevent otheres from change it. Is there any way I can ban that SendKeys "{ESC}" line? That line is the only way it works not ending in the loop (you press anything on the form, msgbox pops up again), but I don't see why?? Private Sub MyCheckBox_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer) If currentuser <> "RightUser" Then MsgBox ("You are not right user. You don't touch this check box.") Cancel = True SendKey...

Reading Pane Settings

interactive buttons, multiple sets

How do I set OOR

Set Focus

All CRM objects have been updated in one weekend. Not sure how.
I noticed that every Lead, Opp, Account and Contact has a Modified On date of this past Saturday or more recently. The records with Saturday's modified date don't show any particular changes, just the Modified On date and the Modified By user. It's more than a trivial issue. There are business reasons for knowing when things are being updated. Some of these Modified By values are disabled, former users. They were the original creators of the objects. CRM is running on its own server. This SQL Server is also running Veritas Backup Exec. did these users create any work...

Update Index Method in Subform
I have a form with several subforms on it. Because the table relationships are required to be a certain way, I have had to code in a method for synching the records via the form. The code is below: Private Sub Form_Current() Dim Response As Variant On Error Resume Next If IsNull(Me.INVNUM) Then Me.INVNUM = Format(DMax("Left([INVNUM],5)", "HDRPLAT") + 1, "00000") & "A" Response = MsgBox("Is this Invoice Number what you want?", vbOKCancel) If Response = vbCancel Then Me.Undo Exit Sub End If Response = acDataErrC...

I don't get any Windows updates.
I can't get any automatic updates and when I try manually I get the error code: 80072EFE. I haven't seen any resolutions for this in Microsoft help. Yankee wrote: > I can't get any automatic updates and when I try manually I get the error > code: 80072EFE. I haven't seen any resolutions for this in Microsoft help. Either read this - How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 and post back with some relevant information so that someone *may* assist you with this error or roll your own - http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.as...

Publisher 2003 Need to set business card to Avery 5371 setting
I need to set the print settings so the business cardd that I created will print on Avery 5371 business cards Okay.........and your question is? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Jonathan" <Jonathan @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:187615DD-9EF1-42A2-8436-78E6E6C6ACE4@microsoft.com... >I need to set the print settings so the business cardd that I created will > print on Avery 5371 business cards Page setup, business cards, click change copies per sheet, type > .5 top, .75 side, zero gaps. Avery 5371 is a standard business card s...

Setting the Settings
Really quickly: How (exactly) does one get Publisher to remember the page settings I want. ie. every time I open a new document, I get centimeters, and usually, I'd prefer inches. I have not been able to find a "Save Settings" option anywhere. Can anyone help? thomas In Publisher 2000 it's Tools Options General tab Measurements unit box - select inches. OK That should do it. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in America! "ThomasL" <tlammert@netcom.ca> wrote in message ne...

"Object or class does not support the set of events" Quick Question
All, I built a MS Access database in MS Access 2003, which I have set up in a shared folder. I have a form with some standard components such as text boxs, bottons. When a user updates the form I wish to record the time/date and username in the record. I have posted a copy of the code I'm using for the "BeforeUpdate" event below. Now this works fine on my machine and updates without a problem. However when a user on another machine (also using MS Access 2003) tries to update the same field, he gets the following error: "The expression Before Update you entered as the eve...

Can I update all CmdUIs in my windows ?
Hello Please do you know, when one of my commands needs to be disabled, how can I update all poped-up menus and all toolbars in all windows for that command ? Actualy I have a sort of a menu implemented in some library which takes a Win32 menu handle and displays a custom pop-up menu which I need to update but don't have a handle to. So I was wondering if there is another way to update the UI based on the ID of a command Thank you "Timothy Madden" Romania Have you looked at ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;97693 Andy Mortime...