How do I rename columns in Excel 2003?

0
chimala (1)

Columns are either assigned letters:
column A
or numbers:
column 1

You can make a meaningful name in two ways:

1. use the first row as a column header and put your names in there

2. assign a Defined Name to the column - this will allow you to used
=SUM(costs) instead of =SUM(A:A)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200825

"chimala" wrote:

> How do I rename columns in Excel 2003?
0
GarysStudent (1572)
1/9/2009 11:00:01 AM
What do you mean rename them? They are assigned column letters (or numbers
if R1C1 style) by Excel.

You could turn off column headings and put your preferred heading in row 1,
but the column will still be column C etc.

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"chimala" <chimala@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I rename columns in Excel 2003?

0
BobNGs (423)
1/9/2009 2:02:46 PM
The columns names are by default you can change them to R1C1 style but you
cannot rename them.
In case you wish to put your own names then select Row 1 of the column and
name them as desired.
In case you wish to put R1C1 reference style then go to
Tools>>Options>>General Tab and check the box of R1C1 reference style>>ok.
By doing this you will see that the column name will change to numbers like
1,2,3 etc
--
Thanks
Suleman Peerzade

"chimala" wrote:

> How do I rename columns in Excel 2003?

How do I activate sort in Excel?
I have worksheets set up in Excel. I am wanting to sort 1 column of these worksheets, but my sort button seems to be grayed out & I cannot select it. How do I activate the sort function again. Any ideas? Hi marygries Unprotect your sheet -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "marygries" <marygries@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A81E1842-3CF4-4CF5-85B3-ED01BEF943C7@microsoft.com... >I have worksheets set up in Excel. I am wanting to sort 1 column of these > worksheets, but my sort button seems to be grayed out & I cannot s...

run excel document in outlook
Does anybody know how and If I can run excel document inside outlook? What im looking for is to have excel document in the public folders of outlook where everybody can write to the document. Say I open it and write to it and then later somebody else writes to the document from a diffrent computer. Thanks - sassanakii "sassanakii" <sassanakii@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:09a701c3debf$6ba06760$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Does anybody know how and If I can run excel document > inside outlook? What im looking for is to have excel > document in the public folders of ...

stacked column headings?
Is there a way to stack column headings i.e. "Monthly Balance" becomes "Monthly" over Balance"? Try this: Edit the cell Place the insertion point after Monthly Hold down the [Alt] key and press [Enter] Release the [Alt] key Press [Enter] [Alt]+[Enter] puts a "carriage return" into the cell Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "Dale" wrote: > Is there a way to stack column headings i.e. "Monthly Balance" becomes > "Monthly" over Balance"? Thank You Ron, that worked great. "Ron Code...

Excel 2003 sticks to the low macro security level
Hello! Excel 2003 sp2 and sp3 do not remember the macro security level. Excel returns the level to low after any change of the level. How to prevent a macro to run when Excel 2003 sp2 and sp3 open a file with a macro? Best regards Dima That's one of the settings that's stored in the windows registry. If it's not sticking, maybe you don't have permission to update the registry? Time to talk to the IT folks????? If you're opening the file manually, you can old the shift (left shift???) key down while you open the workbook. This won't stop macros in general, but...

Get rid of "Drag a column..."
Hi, Somehow or another, I managed to get a "Drag a column header here to group by that column." to show up at the top of some of my folders (e.g.; above the From, Subject, Received fields in my Inbox). Does anyone know how to get rid of this? Thanks in advance If you display the advanced toolbar (right click on an blank area of an existing toolbar and choose the Advanced Toolbar), there's an icon that is for the Group by Header. Click it and the header should go away.The icon looks like a piece of paper with a gray header on top and lines on it. -- Patricia Cardoza...

Percent Data Label on 100% Stacked Column Chart
I've created a chart with three 100% stacked columns, each having multiple data points in common. I'd like to show what percentage each of the data points is in relation to its column but the percentage data label is greyed out. Is there another way to do what I'm trying? Thanks! You may want to try Rob Bovey's XY Chart Labeler add in. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm "PNichols" wrote: > I've created a chart with three 100% stacked columns, each having multiple > data points in common. I'd like to show what percentage each ...

Turning a column number into a cell reference
I use the MATCH function to figure out what column in a list of numbers contains the number I'm looking for. I would like to turn that column number into a cell reference, so that I could write a formula that does something like: "add up all the numbers in this column, until you get to the number 19" In other words, I would like to write a formula like this: =SUM(A1:A[MATCH(19,A1:A100)]) However, I don't know how the value that MATCH returns into the column part of a cell reference. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Drew Steen asteen@email.unc.edu Drew, ...

Changing column format in Outlook view
How can I change format a column in all 30 or so sub- folders in my INBOX in one go i.e. without doing them individually. Thanks for any help. Glyn ...

FTP from Excel
I'm trying to connect via ftp from excel to a unix machine to import a text file. I'm able to connect to the file system but the names of files are mixed with its dates. That is, I have a text file named test.txt and when I try to import it it displays in the window 15:32 test.txt, when I click it displays a message saying that such file doesn't exist. Does someone know how to fix this? Thanks Jose ...

count one column based on value in adjacent column
Does anyone know how to count the number of cells in one column based on a value in a second column? Example: Column 1 Column 2 Car Green Car Car Green Boat Green Train Green The empty cell was intentional. I would like to count the number of "Green" in Column 2 only if it coincides with "Car" in Column 1, so the result would = 2. I tried using Dcount but I couldn't get it to work. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide. One way In say, C1: =sumproduct((a1:a100="Car")*(b...

Outlook 2003 Personal folder and Deleted Items
How can I remove the Deleted Items in a personal folder? Hi, Right Click on the Deleted Items Folder and then Empty the folder . Regards, Sudharson.AN "Outlook PIG" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01b701c3fa69$0d371690$a001280a@phx.gbl... > How can I remove the Deleted Items in a personal folder? You can't remove the deleted items folder itself, but you can empty it. Just go into it and select every message in it (or the desired messages) and hit the delete key. You can use Shift-click to select a range of messages, Ctrl-click to...

Column widths change with each new import from Access 2007
I am using an invoice template I designed that pulls records from an Access 2007 query. The number of records imported changes each time the template is used for a new workbook. I've managed at last to get the results I want from the import, but the column widths for the data changes each time to widths other than what I'd saved them as. It is totally screwing up the formatting I want for the worksheet. How can I lock the widths of these columns at what I want them, regardless of what data is imported? ...

Rename Server
I was would like to know if it is possible to rename a server on which Exchange 2000 has been install onto, would this have an effect on exchange wayne The Exchange services won't start after a server rename. Build a new server with the new name and move the mailboxes to it. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP http://www.msexchange.org/Neil_Hobson/ "WB" <wmb2003@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message news:u5TGyDCpGHA.2360@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I was would like to know if it is possible to rename a server on which >Exchange 2000 has been install onto, would this have ...

PROBLEM
Hi all, It's been a really really long time since I've used Excel, and now need to create charts based on data I've been tracking, however, can't seem to make the charts represent the data in the way I need fo it to show up. Attached is what my data looks like: (also I need different graph for each phone #). Can anyone help me PLEASE !!!!!! need to find a way to do this ASAP. I've tried reformating my dat every which way I can and nothing seems to work. Frustrated in Oklahom -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Paste a sample of your data as text in...

Excel extract date into cell
I am using Excel 2007 for importing data from another program. Column C always has the date in this form: 3/24/12 I would like a new column to show the following (without the quotes): "Report for Saturday, March 24, 2012" I tried this (but I am getting an error message): ="Report for " & date(c2) Please advise. On Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:48:47 AM UTC-5, Tony O wrote: > I am using Excel 2007 for importing data from another program. Column > C always has the date in this form: > 3/24/12 > > I would like a new column to show the following (wit...

How do I format a column in alpha order?
I presume you mean sort a column into alpha order. Do you want the other columns on the same row to travel with the sort or stay in place. Normally you want everything to stay together so you would select all cells before invoking the sort. If you want to restrict you sort to one column only then you would select the one column only before invoking the sort. More information on sorting in http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm and on these pages (these are index pages) http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html an index page http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/ExcelMain....

How do you create combination charts (line-coulmn) in excel 2007?
I need to create a combination chart (Pareto line-column) in excel 2007 but I can't find the combination chart wizard like the one in 2003. How do I go about creating a line-column chart in 2007. Hi, In 2007 you need to build your own combinations. Start with a column chart based on all the data. Then select the column series you wish to plot as line. You can now change the chart type. Chart Tools > Design > Type > Change chart type. Cheers Andy Leesah wrote: > I need to create a combination chart (Pareto line-column) in excel 2007 but I > can't find the combina...

From VBA: How to select a column by column number instead of letter?
I'm in MS Access and don't know from column letters - all my constants are in terms of column number. I'd like to select, say, column number 7 and hide it.... ? -- PeteCresswell in a macro columns(7).hidden=true -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "(Pete Cresswell)" <x@y.z> wrote in message news:i117011tjd8g1bimpn0dmk2oc1e901bbvn@4ax.com... > I'm in MS Access and don't know from column letters - all my constants are in > terms of column number. > > I'd like to select, say, column number 7 and hide it.... > > ? > -...

Pciture and drawing tools within Excel
I have copied a picture into my spreadsheet, then added lines using the Drawing toolbar. When I print the page, the lines are not in the same place relative to the picture as they are within my spreadsheet. How can I make the print of the picture match what is in my spreadsheet? If you select the picture and the other lines (click on the picture, ctrl click on the subsequent objects), you can group them so that they behave like one object. Just rightclick on any of the selected objects and choose Grouping. Then Group. blt wrote: > > I have copied a picture into my spreadsheet,...

1D, 2D, 3D, 4D and ND interpolation Excel Add-in (xll)
Hi, You can find here http://xongrid.sourceforge.net/ A new interpolation xll add-in for 1D, 2D, 3D, 4D or ND interpolation on scattered data ...

Column widths
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hey everyone- <br><br>My co worker just switched from Vista to a new mac. She wants to set the column width for a spread sheet for a whole sheet, something I have never done. Can anyone tell me how one would do that? Click the heading for Column A then key Shift+Command+Right Arrow. Adjust the width by dragging the separator between the Heading of any two columns or go to Format> Column> Width & enter a value. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 4/1/10 11:21 AM, in a...

How to convert Word table with paragraphing to Excel?
Is there any way to convert a Word table that has multiple paragraphs in each cell to Excel without going through a third-party converter? I have several hundred rows to convert, and copying and pasting each paragraph into the Excel Workbook is not a viable option. The Table to Text tool in Word also doesn't give me control over the paragraphing. With everything I've tried, each paragraph winds up in a separate row in Excel. Thanks for any support. Saved from a previous post: If your cells in your word table contain paragraph mark or linebreak characters, then excel will bring...

Exchange 2003 SP2 white paper?
I am in need of a white paper for SP2 for Exchange. I have found a couple good webcasts and a really good "article" on everything that is fixed or modified in SP2 but the management wants a white paper. Anyone able to find this? Thanks in advance. On 24 Feb 2006 10:00:30 -0800, "Phil" <ssgbones@gmail.com> wrote: >I am in need of a white paper for SP2 for Exchange. I have found a >couple good webcasts and a really good "article" on everything that is >fixed or modified in SP2 but the management wants a white paper. Anyone >able to find this? &g...

Formulas excel
Adquiri o Office 2003 em Português. Estou com dificuldades na utilização das fórmulas no Excel, porque estava habituado há muitos anos a utilizá-las em Inglês. Haverá alguma ferramenta que permita mudar as fórmulas para Inglês -- Catani ...

how to rename a file #2
What MFC class/function would I use to rename a file. Assume the file is not being accessed by any application. I have typically used the C run time library function 'rename' but his there a comparable MFC or SDK function? Thanks Ian Hi, You could use CFile::Rename. Regards Andy Mortimer [MS] Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of included script samples a...