how do i link cells that contain text in excel

i am creating a spreadsheet that will have several cells that contain the
same as another cell - either number or text - is there anyway to link so
when i type (example) the number 3 in cell A2 it will also appear in cells
C12 and D42. thanking everyone in advance for their assistance.

It can be done in 2 Methods.

Method 1:-
Place the cursor in C12 and press = and type A2.  Now it will show the A2
cell value 3 in C12.  if you place the cursor in C12 it will show the formula
as =A2.  Follow the same step for D42 also.

Method 2:-
Place the cursor in C12 and press = and type INDIRECT(“A2”).  Now it will
show the A2 cell value 3 in C12.  if you place the cursor in C12 it will show
the formula as =INDIRECT(“A2”).  Follow the same step for D42 also.

Advantage of Method 1:-
If you Cut and paste the A2 cell in any other location then the Method1 will
automatically change the C12 and D42 formula to the newly pasted cell
reference.

Advantage of Method2:-
If you Cut and paste the A2 cell in any other location then the Method2
won’t change the C12 and D42 formula to the newly pasted cell reference and
it will target only on A2 cell only.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"dumbone" wrote:

> i am creating a spreadsheet that will have several cells that contain the
> same as another cell - either number or text - is there anyway to link so
> when i type (example) the number 3 in cell A2 it will also appear in cells
> C12 and D42. thanking everyone in advance for their assistance.
EXCEL 2007

Just type:-

=A2

 - into cells C12 and D42.

Thanks.

"dumbone" wrote:

> i am creating a spreadsheet that will have several cells that contain the
> same as another cell - either number or text - is there anyway to link so
> when i type (example) the number 3 in cell A2 it will also appear in cells
> C12 and D42. thanking everyone in advance for their assistance.
Hi,
In cells C12 and D42 enter

=A2

"dumbone" wrote:

> i am creating a spreadsheet that will have several cells that contain the
> same as another cell - either number or text - is there anyway to link so
> when i type (example) the number 3 in cell A2 it will also appear in cells
> C12 and D42. thanking everyone in advance for their assistance.

Is it possible to add a base line in excel
I have a graph the tracks test scores. I want to establish in a bar chart a base line for acceptable test scores. I can do this by drawing a line on the chart but I want to be able to include this in the chart itself. Hi see: http://andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DummySeries.html#AddLine -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Tom King wrote: > I have a graph the tracks test scores. I want to establish in a bar > chart a base line for acceptable test scores. I can do th...

Multiple hyperlinks in one cell
Hey, I'm stuck with an excel problem which I cannot solve. I want to pu different messages in one cell and add a hyperlink to some of thes messages. For example I want to put this information all into one cell "message1 - message2(with hyperlink) - message3(with hyperlink) message4" I really hope it is possible to create multiple hyperlinks within on cell, but for now I can only add a hyperlink to a cell. If you would know how I could fix this issue I would be reall gratefull. Thx in advance, Veroniqu -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If it's really...

How to get SUMPRODUCT on filtered cells
I'm currently using the formula =SUMPRODUCT((F2:I1475>=1)*(F2:I1475<=9999)) This gives me the number of the full range of cells but I need this to update whenever I use a variety of filters. Any help is greatly appreciated Sam.D Say we have data in A1 thru B29 like: flia value 0 pass 2 pass 1 pass 2 pass 1 pass 2 pass 0 pass 2 pass 1 pass 2 pass 1 pass 0 pass 2 pass 0 pass 1 pass 1 fail 1 fail 0 fail 2 fail 1 fail 0 fail 1 fail 2 fail 1 fail 1 fail 1 fail 1 fail 2 fail and are appling autofilter to column a. We want to use sumpr...

Comments in Cells disappear after time
A colleague has a spreadsheet with lots of comments in the cells and apparently after a while the comments 'disappear'. Does anyone have any ideas why this happens? Could it be there is a maximum number of comments, or do they have a life expectancy? The sheet is opened in Excel 2000 & Excel 2003 depending on the user. Thanks for your help. Comments don't normally disappear on their own. Perhaps your colleague is accidentally deleting the rows or columns in which the comments occur. Or comments could disappear if another cell, with no comment, is dragged onto a cell ...

Opening a new instance of Excel

go to next cell and paste question
I am writing a macro that is supposed to take certain cells from a "interface" page, remove them, and paste to a string of cells o another. That is easy, but I cant figure out how to make them go t another set of cells, if the ones I recorded are filled. Example: Sub Macro1() ' ' Macro1 Macro ' Macro recorded 8/4/2004 by Lane Lacy ' ' ActiveWindow.LargeScroll ToRight:=17 ActiveWindow.ScrollColumn = 239 ActiveWindow.SmallScroll ToRight:=10 Range("IV2:IV7").Select Selection.Copy Application.CutCopyMode = False Selection.Cut Sheets("productivity&qu...

Emailing in excel 2003 02-26-10

Linking a graph to a csv file
**Excel 2002 Hello, I'm sure this is exceedingly easy, but somehow, I'm screwing this up. I ultimately need to have a self- updating PowerPoint file (client mandates a ppt file). According to ppt's help, that means I have to use linked Excel graphs, not embedded ppt graphs. However, my programmer will be supplying me with tons of csv files. When I try to create an excel file with a data link to a csv file, it tells me that it can't update it unless I open the source file. I *can't* take the time to open each csv - there will be hundreds. What am I missing wi...

Excel Crash

Wrapping clipart around text
When i word i can wrap my text around my pictures is there any way of doing the same in Publisher 2000. -- Thank you for reading my post. Hopefully you can answer my querie On the toolbar there is a hand holding a script. This is the wrap tool. Select the object, select the tool. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Shazza" <shazzalowe@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message news:474A689F-DC18-4545-A73B-1E2CDDB34633@microsoft.com... > When i word i can wrap my text around my pictures is there any way of d...

Merge Cells #5
I know how to merge two cells using formula =A1&B1, but can someone tell me how to insert spacing between the two within the new cell. I'm merging a part number and description, and need spacing between them. Use =A1&" "&B1 the " " is showing that you want to insert text, and that the text is a space character. It could be "-" or ".", etc. "R. Stevens" <R. Stevens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B02E936E-5947-4F1B-A8E5-F5A30343E549@microsoft.com... > I know how to merge two cells using formula =...

Excel Edit F2 button changed for Mac???

EXCEL TROUBLESHOOTING #2

Excel Cells Contents to HTML Pages

In Excel program shows a broken line and don't know how to get ri.

Multiple conditional formating for one cell
I have a workbook with several sheets. Sheet1 has several hundred rows of text. Some of the same text will appear in multiple rows of Sheet1. On Sheet2 I have I have a cell that allows my users to free hand type in a keyword(s) to search for in Sheet1. This cell is also has a reference name of "Special_Char". Now comes the question..... I like to for the user to type the keywork into "Special_Char" and any or all the rows in Sheet1 that contain the keyword as part of its text to turn yellow. Is there a way to do this? Please keep in mind that the keywork i...

connect a form to excel database
I have a database in excel which lists our stock and prices etc. I would like to be able to enter a stock number on an invoice that will retrieve the details and price from my excel database. Can this be done? Excel has built in option--try data|form. If that doesn't quite work, but it's close, John Walkenbach has an enhanced dataform at: http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm And if you want to design your own, Debra Dalgleish has a get started with userforms: http://contextures.com/xlUserForm01.html Kathy wrote: > > I have a database in excel which lists our stock and p...

Keeping rows together after link
I have spreadsheet that has several columns that link to anothe spreadsheet.This is G1:P100. My A,B,C,D columns is where I pu information related to the information in G-P. For instance, G-P link to a students information. It changes all the time. In A-D I hav columns to input criteria for each student. The problem is that whe the link updates the criteria and the student info end up on diffren rows now. For instance If B1 is " Has Housing" and G1 is " Steve" afte the update " Steve" might move to G3 and the "Has Housing" does no move with it -- Message...

How do I add a value to a cell every 30 days?
I'm trying to create a calculator using Excel where in I add a given value to a cell every month. This is not a financial equation. One way: assume you want to add 10 every month, starting one month from today: =DATEDIF("2/11/2005",TODAY(),"m") * 10 or, every 30 days: =INT((TODAY()-DATE(2005,2,11))/30)*10 In article <BC7BB5B0-A994-4ABC-8200-8E198C51C3E1@microsoft.com>, "ZZ430" <ZZ430@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm trying to create a calculator using Excel where in I add a given value to > a cell every month. T...

Does anyone know where I can download EXCEL.MSI?
I am missing my Excel 2002 CD, and can't install Office Update Service Pack 3 without this file. ...