How do I insert a reference to lookup and insert a name

How do I insert a reference code in one column which will then look up a
reference table and then insert the name in the next column. eg if I type the
letter b in column 1 then the word 'bank' will appear in column 2. If I type
the letter i in column 1 then the word 'insurance' will appear in column 2
etc etc
0
K (139)

look at VLOOKUP in Help.

--
 HTH

Bob Phillips

"Jan K" <Jan K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I insert a reference code in one column which will then look up a
> reference table and then insert the name in the next column. eg if I type
the
> letter b in column 1 then the word 'bank' will appear in column 2. If I
type
> the letter i in column 1 then the word 'insurance' will appear in column 2
> etc etc

0
phillips1 (803)
7/19/2005 3:07:56 PM
Try this.
In G1:G5 type b, i, s, r
In G1 type bank, insurance, stockbroker, retailer
In A1 type b
In B1 enter this formula =VLOOKUP(A1,G1:G5,2,FALSE)
It should return <bank>
The other letters in A1
Read Help for VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Jan K" <Jan K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I insert a reference code in one column which will then look up a
> reference table and then insert the name in the next column. eg if I type
> the
> letter b in column 1 then the word 'bank' will appear in column 2. If I
> type
> the letter i in column 1 then the word 'insurance' will appear in column 2
> etc etc

0
bliengme5824 (3039)
7/19/2005 3:11:10 PM
Hi Bernard, except that bank, insurance, stockbroker, retailer should be in
H1:H5?
and the lookup formula should therefore check G1:H5
=VLOOKUP(A1,G1:H5,2,FALSE)
--
j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at.  Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> Try this.
> In G1:G5 type b, i, s, r
> In G1 type bank, insurance, stockbroker, retailer
> In A1 type b
> In B1 enter this formula =VLOOKUP(A1,G1:G5,2,FALSE)
> It should return <bank>
> The other letters in A1
> Read Help for VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Jan K" <Jan K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I insert a reference code in one column which will then look up a
> > reference table and then insert the name in the next column. eg if I type
> > the
> > letter b in column 1 then the word 'bank' will appear in column 2. If I
> > type
> > the letter i in column 1 then the word 'insurance' will appear in column 2
> > etc etc

how can i search for sheet with any part of sheet name
hi every on i need code for userform of textbox and listbox to search for any sheet in workbook with any part of that sheet name on i enter on textbox to populate on listbox all sheets named contain that enterd text on textbox . any help appreciated . thanks This code takes a string and searches the sheet name for it. Set strData to your textbox value and instead of msgbox, do a listbox.add Dim strData As String strData = "Dat" For i = 1 To ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Count For j = 1 To Len(ThisWorkbook.Sheets(i).Name) - Len(strData) + 1 If UCase(Mid(ThisWorkbook.Sheets(i).N...

Change name in From section
How do I change how my name is displayed in the From section of my mailbox? Go to Tools, Accounts, select that account, click Properties.=20 On the General tab you can change the displayed name. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "kabutton" <kabutton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:72ADFCC4-487B-45D8-AA62-E597CFFF44E8@microsoft.com... > How do I change how my name is displayed in the From section of my = mailbox? ...

How do I insert Roman Numerals?

Lookup selective from another sheet
Assume I have one sheet as below. How can I create a new sheet and display only those entrys that are greater than a entered value. i.e main sheet abc 2 def 5 ghi 6 jkl 5 fgh 3 krk 4 on second sheet, if 4 is entered only entrys >4 are shown. i.e def 5 ghi 6 jkl 5 krk 4 Try something like this: C1=IF(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A$1:B$4,2,FALSE)>Sheet1!B1,VLOOKUP(Sheet2!A$1:B$4,2,FALSE),NA()) Your main sheet is A1-b6 and Sheet 2 is A1:B4 "Jim" <Jim Forrest@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:WBb4f.34203$U9.12412@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > Assume...

Insert trigger

Control Name when New workbook opened from a template
How can I control the name of a new workbook opened from template? Such as using MyWorkbook.xlt to open MyWorkBookToday.xls instead of MyWorkbook1.xls. Thanks, Steve -- SC from Lubbock, Texas The name of the file (including the extension) is set when you (or the user) saves the file. I don't think you can control how excel names workbooks that are created based on template files. Well, you could provide a macro that creates the file and then saves the file with the name (and location) you want. SC in Texas wrote: > > How can I control the name of a new work...

XL 2000 Changes File Name for Save
When I save my Excel spreadsheet, Excel adds a 1 to the file name (file.xls becomes file1.xls). When I remove the 1 and save it, it responds with the overwrite message? It just started doing this several weeks ago and I can't figure out why. Anyone know what's going on? Are you sure that the additional 1 is added when you're doing the save? Could it have been added when you were opening the workbook? If you try it again, do you see: File1 (instead of File.xls) in the title bar? If yes, then it sounds like you've opened the file via a double click in windows explorer. And ...

Variable field names?
Hi I am trying to execute the following code: - strSQL = strSQL & Nz([" & strCOM_Year & "], 0) where strCOM_Year is a string I want the system to use as a field name. It doesn't like this. Keeps saying 'can't find the field "|" referred to in you expression', even though I can clearly see in the debug window that the current value of strCOM_Year is "2006/2007". i.e. I am looking for the value in the field called 2006/2007. Any ideas? Stapes Stapes wrote: > Hi > > I am trying to execute the following code: - > > str...

inserting hrs and minutes

Worksheet name in cell formula
I asked this question a while ago and got a prompt answer which I thought was what I wanted but alas its not... I want to be able to change my worksheet names.....ie: from Sheet 1, Sheet 2, etc etc.....to something more meaningful.....eg Sales, Expenses....etc etc.... and have these changes reflect on the worksheet. For example, I might want Sheet 1 Cell A1 to say.....This is the Sales worksheet (assuming I have renamed it to Sales). The answer I was given some time back worked.....but it changed the formula on every worksheet to reflect the name of the last changed sheet. By this I mean.....

Name Change Policy
Just wanted to get some opinions on how different IT departments handle name changes. When someones last name changes, do you change the logon ID? On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:25:02 -0800, SBasinger <SBasinger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Just wanted to get some opinions on how different IT departments handle name >changes. When someones last name changes, do you change the logon ID? > You rename the account and rename the alias. That will force RUS to stamp a different SMTP address on the account. You then edit the smtp addresses on the account to add the old smtp addr...

Message headers, attachments, and the message body may be lost in Outlook 2003 when you reply to an e-mail message that contains a References header that exceeds 1,000 bytes
Hi All Refer to below hot fix, just wonder which microsoft patches can fix below issue, as installing the hot fix manually is killing http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B947350&x=11&y=10 thanks ...

data lookup
Here is my problem, I have a database with an assortment of data in a that takes place on many multiple days, and on each day i have multilple entries, and this database grows everyday, i.e. Date Time Amount category 1/1/10 1:00 x y 1/1/10 2:00 x y 1/1/10 3:00 x y .. .. .. 1/31/10 1:00 x y 1/31/10 2:00 x y etc. What i want to do is have a worksheet that corresponds to each individual days worth of data. So when i put a date in the corresponding cell at the top of the any ne...

Schema reference
I'm looking for a reference to the AD attributes and what processes fill them. i.e. what user attributes get updated when a user logs on or off. Howdie! Am 15.03.2010 19:26, schrieb Chris: > I'm looking for a reference to the AD attributes and what processes fill > them. > > i.e. what user attributes get updated when a user logs on or off. Huuh, I guess you won't find a reference like that anywhere. What you could do is download Sysinternals' ADExplorer. It allows snapshot creation and comparison. Take a snapshot, do some action to the dire...

Insert with a where condition

IF and LOOKUP Problems
I am having 1 major problem currently, and will have another problem potentially in the near future. In the last tab "Weekly Time Sheet", I have created a pivot table, which works to perfection. I have also created in Column A a description for each of the codes given in the pivot table. This description is pulled from a range that has been created in N18:O76. However, the problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to have a blank cell show up if there is not a code given in column B. There is no guarantee that I will work on the same projects on a weekly basis. Is there a w...

Insert

Adding to a range in a reference?
I'm modifying an existing workbook. One of my drop down lists has its text options provided by means of a 'Defined Name': Choices. The Name 'Choices' refers to the text items in a group of adjacent cells, in a row, on another worksheet called 'Info'. The reference is a range: ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7 I want to add an extra item of text to increase the number of options in the drop down list. So as not to disturb the location of cells defined by other references, I tried to append the new cell downwards from the group in the row. I tried this: ='Info'!$D$7:...

"Lookup" data type
I´m using the deployment manager to create a new lookup filed chema but when I click on the dropdown box to select the data type, the "lookup" data type doesn´t appear. I´ve got the customization manual and that data type is supposed to appear in the list. How can I add it? Deployment Manager in CRM 1.* does not let you add a Lookup data type "Talei" <Talei@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FE8843C-3BF5-48FC-AE20-16EB2B3FA914@microsoft.com... > I�m using the deployment manager to create a new lookup filed chema but when > I ...

Using Named Range for filename
I have a workbook that references various other workbooks on the server. All the files relate to the current month, so every month we do a find/replace to update the filenames. What I would like to do is store the filenames in the workbook and have each on as a named range. So instead of the formula =[g:\finance\shared]book1.xls!a2 I can use =book1!a2 I've tried doing this but each time it opens up the file explorer window and asks for a file. Thanks in advance David How about just making each one of your stored names as a Hyperlink? Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "...

how to insert data in a table