How do I force all capital in a column of lower case names?

I read the help, but it doesn't tell me where to enter the formula.

If you do not have a blank column next to the mentioned column, then insert
one.  Enter the formula in a cell adjacent to the cell you want to change,
and copy down.  Then copy this column, go to the original column, select a
cel, right click and click on Paste Special, tick values.  Delete the helper
column.

Iow, with you lower case data in Column E, click on Column F, if not empty,
and insert a column.  F is then an empty column.  Say your data starts in E2,
then in F2 enter =UPPER(E2).  Move cursor to the bottom right hand corner of
the cell.  When it changes, double click.
--
Hth

Kassie Kasselman

"Dean-Xceldata" wrote:

> I read the help, but it doesn't tell me where to enter the formula.

Enter the formula in a helper column.

Assuming column A is your data in lower case.

In B1 enter  =UPPER(A1)

Double-click on the fill handle of B1 to copy down.

When happy, select column B and Edit>Paste Special(in place)>Values>OK>Esc.

Delete original column A

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:56:20 -0800, Dean-Xceldata
<Dean-Xceldata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I read the help, but it doesn't tell me where to enter the formula.

0
Gord
2/14/2007 8:45:38 PM
I just learned about this the other day. (I told you I was an Excel novice.)
That will save me a lot of time at work!

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

> Enter the formula in a helper column.
>
> Assuming column A is your data in lower case.
>
> In B1 enter  =UPPER(A1)
>
> Double-click on the fill handle of B1 to copy down.
>
> When happy, select column B and Edit>Paste Special(in
> place)>Values>OK>Esc.
>
> Delete original column A
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:56:20 -0800, Dean-Xceldata
> <Dean-Xceldata@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I read the help, but it doesn't tell me where to enter the formula.

0
jl_paules (2767)
2/14/2007 8:48:59 PM
Joanne

What saves even more work is to use VBA to convert all cells in a selection at
once.

No formulas hence no special pasting after.

Chip Pearson has an add-in at his site for doing this.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm

Gord

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:48:59 -0500, "JoAnn Paules [MVP]"
<jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:

>I just learned about this the other day. (I told you I was an Excel novice.)
>That will save me a lot of time at work!

0
Gord
2/14/2007 9:43:36 PM
I have to be careful about using VBA. One - I'm clueless about VBA. Two - my
coworkers know less than I do and it just complicates their life. I really
want them to decide that they want to hire me direct after my contract with
them expires so I try to keep things simple if they are going to be using my
files.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

> Joanne
>
> What saves even more work is to use VBA to convert all cells in a
> selection at
> once.
>
> No formulas hence no special pasting after.
>
> Chip Pearson has an add-in at his site for doing this.
>
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm
>

> Gord
>
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:48:59 -0500, "JoAnn Paules [MVP]"
> <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I just learned about this the other day. (I told you I was an Excel
>>novice.)
>>That will save me a lot of time at work!

0
jl_paules (2767)
2/14/2007 9:49:17 PM
create a lot of complicated macros that they don't understand, then they are
bound to re-hire you, so they can continue working <bg>

--
---
HTH

Bob

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>I have to be careful about using VBA. One - I'm clueless about VBA. Two -
>my coworkers know less than I do and it just complicates their life. I
>really want them to decide that they want to hire me direct after my
>contract with them expires so I try to keep things simple if they are going
>to be using my files.
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> Joanne
>>
>> What saves even more work is to use VBA to convert all cells in a
>> selection at
>> once.
>>
>> No formulas hence no special pasting after.
>>
>> Chip Pearson has an add-in at his site for doing this.
>>
>> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm
>>

>> Gord
>>
>> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 15:48:59 -0500, "JoAnn Paules [MVP]"
>> <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I just learned about this the other day. (I told you I was an Excel
>>>novice.)
>>>That will save me a lot of time at work!

0
bob.NGs (282)
2/15/2007 9:27:12 AM
Murphy's Law tends to hit me a lot. That would probably come back to bite me
on my ............ um, workbook.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

"Bob Phillips" <bob.NGs@xxxx.com> wrote in message
> create a lot of complicated macros that they don't understand, then they
> are bound to re-hire you, so they can continue working <bg>
>
> --
> ---
> HTH
>
> Bob
>
> (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my
> addy)
>

> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have to be careful about using VBA. One - I'm clueless about VBA. Two -
>>my coworkers know less than I do and it just complicates their life. I
>>really want them to decide that they want to hire me direct after my
>>contract with them expires so I try to keep things simple if they are
>>going to be using my files.
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>
>> ~~~~~
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>>> Joanne
>>>
>>> What saves even more work is to use VBA to convert all cells in a
>>> selection at
>>> once.
>>>
>>> No formulas hence no special pasting after.
>>>
>>> Chip Pearson has an add-in at his site for doing this.
>>>
>>> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm
>>>

>>> Gord

0
jl_paules (2767)

Force Uninstall
All, A coupla questions . . . Suppose I just want to forcefully uninstall Exchange 2000 from a server, and an org. Currently the uninstall fails because (as mentioned in a previous post) I have users that still show as being on that server, however the store that those users were on is no longer there (because of a disaster). Is there some way to force the uninstall? Another question. I have two healthy clustered machines running currently. Suppose I just remove the object for the old exchange server from the ESM? Assuming I have performed all of the other steps steps (like moving o...

Locate a specific row or column
Hi all, Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to dray the scroll bar? Clara thank you so much for your help In VBA code, you can use: Range("D100").Activate ' Or Range("D1:D100").Select ' Depending on if you want only one cell highlighted or a range of cells. -- Best wishes, Jim "clara" wrote: > Hi all, > > Could you tell me how to locate a specific row instead of using Mouse to > dray the scroll bar? > > Clara > > thank you so much for your help Hi Clara Have you tried goto in the Ed...

forcing user input into cells
howdy all... i'm new to doing stuff with excel have a bit of a background in javascript programming what i'm trying to do is force a user to enter something, anything int a specific cell if the user tries to tab past the cell and leave it blank, i want a error to come up, telling them that they have to enter something befor they can continue on with entry into other cells any help would be much appreciated -Thank -- georgi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- georgio's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=164...

Force quit
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Closing Word get error message &quot;A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted&quot; Am then required to use force quit. Anybody have solution? Make sure Office & OS X are fully updated. If they are & you still encounter the problem, crashing on Quit is usually the result of one of theses causes: Need to repair disk permissions Damaged preference files Corrupt Normal.dotm template See this page for the respective links in t...

Sign-in name entered is not associated
I have been using Money 2004 with .net passport for many months now. Until twoday's back my Money 2004 app was working fine. Could login to my .net passport etc. Suddenly I started getting error: "The sign-in name you entered is not associated with this file. Please enter the correct sign-in name or open another file" .. I read that following command run via the command line may help 'regsvr32 MSXML3.DLL'. I got a message saying "DllRegisterServer in MSMXML3.DLL succeeded". Still the problem is not OK. Still get "The sign-in name you entered ...

Report Name Customer
Hi We have created a custom report in Visual Studio which shows all the service activities per customer in CRM. I now would like to display the customer name which was used in the filter as the heading of the report. If no customer was selected the heading should be blank. Do I need to use CRM_FilterText to achieve this? I have attempted to insert a parameter without success. I would really appreciate some guidance in how to achieve this. Many Thanks Mark no you can easily achieve this with a table group heading "Mark Braithwaite" <MarkBraithwaite@discussions.microsoft....

Forcing Appointments
I use outlook to schedule appointments with my customers with specific employees. I have a scheduling department that does this scheduling via outlook. The employees have no option to reject or modify these appointments; therefore, I would like to force this on their calendar with them having to accept it and not allowing them to modify it. Additionally, I need to know real time once they are scheduled. Right now I don't know they are scheduled until they accept and that sometimes takes too long and then they are inadvertently double booked by the scheduling department. So how do ...

Force REPLY to go back to distribution list
I have an issue whereby a department is insisting that they want their mailing lists marked so that any time anyone clicks REPLY (not "REPLY ALL" - they refuse that as an acceptable solution, it must be REPLY) that the reply message goes back to the distribution list and not the message originator. They further insist that this capability must occur on the mail server (and not on Outlookclient side), since they use a multitude of different mail clients (many on Unix/Linux) and therefore it is a server-side responsibility to make this happen. They say that this capability exists in ...

Field with both first name and last name
I have a table where the field PRODUCTION_DESIGNER is composed of a persons first and last name with a single space between them, for example "David Henderson" is in the contents. Select this field and truncate this to the initials of the first and last name and place into another field leaving the original field untouched. The new field would have "DH" as its contents. Thank you Use the expression Left(Production_Designer,1) & Mid(Production_Designer,Instr(Production_Designer," ")+1,1) If you want to do this in an update query UPDATE [Your Table ...

How can i convert a quote to case in CRM?
My boss ask me to convert a quote to case in CRM, which the case have QuoteId, title and customer name from quote. I was looking for some sources but cant find anything related wth this case. could anyone can help me about it? You will need to do some custom coding. We create a Quote, convert to an Order, and from the Order form use a custom aspx page called by a toolbar button to create a Case, passing whatever fields we need to the Case. Let me know if you need further info. "mayw1982@hotmail.com" wrote: > My boss ask me to convert a quote to case in CRM, which the case h...

Excel
Hi, I need to rearrange columns on many sheets in a certain order based on on column header. For example, my columns might come into my spreadsheet as C,B,D,G,A,H,I,F , or as F,B,C,A,D etc. I want them all sorted say A,B,C,D - the rest of the columns is irrelevant. How do I accomplish this ? TIA What about the sort function Data/Sort prior to xl2007. I recorded a macro while doing this: Selection.Sort Key1:=3DRange("B4"), Order1:=3DxlAscending, Header:=3DxlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=3D1, MatchCase:=3DFalse, Orientation:=3DxlLeftToRight Presumably you could...

Filters for rows instead of columns
The filter feature works great for columns. Can it be used for rows? No. You can sort across a row, but not filter. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On 27 Apr 2007 11:27:33 -0700, Hall <hallbrookdale@gmail.com> wrote: >The filter feature works great for columns. > >Can it be used for rows? Not as nice, but maybe you could use: Data|Group and Outline|Group To show/hide columns. Hall wrote: > > The filter feature works great for columns. > > Can it be used for rows? -- Dave Peterson well, guess you could also try transposing the source table in another sheet...

Sort Using Different Columns
I am trying to compile a list of sales by customer and total purchases by that customer in a series of months. I have column a as a master list of customer names. Column B is going to be the charges for that customer in lets say may. Column c is going to be the charges for that customer in June. The problem I am having is that not all customers have charged from us in the same months so when I bring my data into this worksheet it contains the customer name in one column and the charges in another. Doing this does not allow the customer names for one month to line up with the next m...

How do I create a report that shows the control names when no data?
I'm trying to create a report made up of about 10 subreports. Creating the report isn't a problem but I want the subreports to show the control labels even if there isn't any data (similar to a form) I've tried various formats but can't get it to work. Anyone any idea how I can force the control labels to show on a sub report even if there isn't any data for that report? Thanks Tony Tony Williams wrote: >I'm trying to create a report made up of about 10 subreports. Creating the >report isn't a problem but I want the subreports to show the control...

Customizing Public Folder Columns
Hi, I have noticed that Public Folders show up in Outlook with a default set of columns/fields that I can then change on the client. What I am trying to do is to have a Public Folder appear with a specific set of columns (different than the default) for ALL users without me having to go on each Outlook client and set it up manually. Like a Folder-level setting as opposed to a client-level setting. Is this possible? Our server is Exchange 2003. The clients are mixed Outlook 2000, XP and 2003. If this can only work for some client versions can you please let me know which ones? thank...

Error bars won't display with named formula/range data
Hi all, I have a bit of a problem with Y error bars on a line chart. I'm tying to add custom error bars using a named formula but no error bars are displayed. If i use an array formula to display the values on a worksheet and select this range as the custom error bar then all is displayed fine. Also, if i use the named formula as a new series then all plots ok. The named formula is: =IssueCluster!DGH_Comparison-IssueCluster!DGH_Current It calculates the difference between the values in 2 cell ranges. Is this happening because the named formula is not evaluating itself? If so, is the...

error message on naming subform
i have a form where you need to enter a name in a field which, at some point generates a warning. when this warning appears you have to click a button to check how many times this name appears in the databse. this button activates a subform in the forms footer area and at the same time an error message that the used form name is not according to the Microsoft Access naming convention. the name is : subformulier_naamgast (this is dutch for subform_.....) after having checked the naming convention i don't see what i have done wrong. thanks for helping met out. regards, Michell van A...

force

excluding column headers from formulas
In row 1, I have a column headers in text, such as Date, Time, Profit, Hours, etc. Then all the following rows underneath have the corresponding data in their specific format, such as date format, time format, currency format, etc. I have a bunch of formulas (mostly SUMIF and AVERAGEIF) where, for example, if columnA (date) is February, then sum/avg columnB (profit). In the formula, I use the whole column as a range (i.e. A:A) rather than a specific range (i.e. A2:A100) as this list is indefinitely long. However, the column headers in text (i.e. "Date" in text f...

Forcing an ActiveX control to serialize it's properties.
Is there a way to force an activeX control to serialize it's properties? Kurt "Kurt" <k_nojunk@larimore.net> wrote in message news:OqS15%23p3DHA.3224@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Is there a way to force an activeX control to serialize it's properties? > > Kurt > > Kurt, Try getting a pointer to the IPersistStorage interface via QueryInterface. Then call the method IPersistStorage::Save which needs an IStorage* to specify where the properties will be saved to. ...

column headers #2
We use Excel to track huge amounts of data (probably SHOULD be using Access, but the "boss" is wedded to Excel). Need to have column headers that pop up when data starts new page. Suggestions? Regular header/footer only names reports/charts, not working space. <"Need to have column headers that pop up when data starts new page."> I'm assuming you're talking about displaying on the screen, where the headers won't *pop-up*, but constantly remain in view during any scrolling of the sheet. You can use "FreezePanes" to retain rows (column he...

Multiple Series of Series in Stacked Column chart?
I'm using Excel 2000, and I'd like to see if there is a way to create a chart using multiple series of series in a stacked column chart (2D). Specifically, I have several series defined by a VBA program, and they are graphed along six categories. I want to group those categories together and then group again by month. It should look like a common Clustered Column graph, but instead of normal columns, each one would be a stacked column. In the end, there will be three months shown along the x axis, each month showing six categories with six stacked columns. The colors in the sta...

How do you sequentially number a column?
I'm a bit of a n00b here. I'm setting up a spreadsheet in Excel 2002 with the first column dedicated to just a sequence of numbers from 1 to 256 which represent slots in a binder for various CD/DVD's off software that I own. Next to each number I will have the name of the software plus a third column for comments (like license key, etc.). How do I format that first column of just sequential numbers? TIA put 1 in the first cell, 2 in the second cell, select both cells, grab the little square block in the lower right corner of the second block and drag down till you get...

Forcing an account
Hi All Is there anyway to get Outlook 2002 and/or 2003 to force to use a certain mail account for certain contacts? For example for contact A, B and C I want to always send new messages, replies and forwards via mail account 1 and for contact D, E and F I want to do the same using mail account 2. I don't want this to deviate even if one of these contacts has sent an email to an alternate mail account. Even though I set my main account as the default, when certain emails come in on my other accounts I can't force my replies or forwards to go to a certain account. Are there any hidd...

Alias outfield column header
I have a question about Aliasing fields in a query, if that it the right terminology. I have linked my Access DB to an external sharepoint list. The person who created it labeled the heading of one column: Prod (start month). I am creating a query and while I am at it, I want to simply this name, to Sdate. So, I have entered this in the field column for this field: Sdate: Prod (start month) Unfortunately, while it gives no error, the output column is still labelled Prod (start month). When I look at the sql query, I see: SELECT DISTINCTROW ... [DB Upgrades Funnel].[...