How do I find a value in an array (VLOOKUP? HLOOKUP?)

I have a height, weight and body fat table.  The columns are height, the
rows are weight, and the info between is body fat.

I would like to on a separate worksheet, enter the height and the weight and
have Excel find the bodyfat from my table and enter it on this sheet so I
can print it.

I think I need a VLOOKUP or a HLOOKUP, but I can't seem to be able to get
either to look at both height and weight and return the body fat.

B4 is the height, C4 the weight
=HLOOKUP(B4,Women!B1:AO1,1) tells me the height.
=VLOOKUP(C4,Women!A2:A71,1) tells me the weight, but I already know these.
The value I need is in cell F30

Thanks,
Mich

0
mskabialka (118)

I have names the horizontal range ( Women!B1:AO1) with height values as
HEIGHT
I have names the rest of the table (without top line)  (Women!A2:AO71 I
think) as TABLE
Then use  =VLOOKUP(C4,table,MATCH(B4,height,1)+1)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>I have a height, weight and body fat table.  The columns are height, the
>rows are weight, and the info between is body fat.
>
> I would like to on a separate worksheet, enter the height and the weight
> and have Excel find the bodyfat from my table and enter it on this sheet
> so I can print it.
>
> I think I need a VLOOKUP or a HLOOKUP, but I can't seem to be able to get
> either to look at both height and weight and return the body fat.
>
> B4 is the height, C4 the weight
> =HLOOKUP(B4,Women!B1:AO1,1) tells me the height.
> =VLOOKUP(C4,Women!A2:A71,1) tells me the weight, but I already know these.
> The value I need is in cell F30
>
> Thanks,
> Mich

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
3/10/2005 11:39:08 PM
This worked!
Thanks!

"Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH.ca> wrote in message
>I have names the horizontal range ( Women!B1:AO1) with height values as
>HEIGHT
> I have names the rest of the table (without top line)  (Women!A2:AO71 I
> think) as TABLE
> Then use  =VLOOKUP(C4,table,MATCH(B4,height,1)+1)
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>

> "M Skabialka" <mskabialka@NOSPAMdrc.com> wrote in message
>>I have a height, weight and body fat table.  The columns are height, the
>>rows are weight, and the info between is body fat.
>>
>> I would like to on a separate worksheet, enter the height and the weight
>> and have Excel find the bodyfat from my table and enter it on this sheet
>> so I can print it.
>>
>> I think I need a VLOOKUP or a HLOOKUP, but I can't seem to be able to get
>> either to look at both height and weight and return the body fat.
>>
>> B4 is the height, C4 the weight
>> =HLOOKUP(B4,Women!B1:AO1,1) tells me the height.
>> =VLOOKUP(C4,Women!A2:A71,1) tells me the weight, but I already know
>> these.
>> The value I need is in cell F30
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mich

0
mskabialka (118)

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

vlookup on cell below
Is it possible to do a VLOOKUP but instead of returning the value in row that contains the lookup, it returns the value in the row below? eg a b 1 no x 2 yes y 3 ok z =VLOOKUP("yes",A1:B3,2,FALSE) would return "z" instead of "y". Th only way I can think of is to add a row header at the top and use the MATCH function in column A to find the row position of "yes", then use that in an HLOOKUP in column B. I was hoping there was a simpler way. Not VLOOKUP, but INDEX & MATCH =INDEX(B1:B3,MATCH("yes",A1:A3,0)) -...

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

cannot find database

Excel - Array Formulas - Freeze
Hi all I have a big problem. It takes about 30 minutes to save my excel fil because I have many array formula: about 32 000! So do you have a ti to accelerate the computing process? Is a VBA function would do i faster? Here is an example of what I use: Col A contain unique numbers Sheet 1: Col A Col B Col C Row1 001 123 9i9 Row2 005 456 8u8 Row3 003 406 8ur etc... to +8000 In sheet 2, I have to check if the data exist in sheet 1. Col D contai Yes (data is in the sheet1) or No... Examples: Col D check if the data in Col B is the same in sheet 1 Col...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

Requesting Help Ranking Sales Values.....
I have a field in a table named "Ext B/O" that lists the extended Backorder Value for parts sold. There may be duplicate values and they should show the same rankings. I would like to rank these totals from highest to lowest dollar value. I have tried the following query coding but I only get a count of the total number of records in the query for each record (49435) and NOT the individual ranking of the value. Rank: (Select Count(*) from [tbl_WorkingData] Where [Ext B/O] >= 0)+1 Can ANYONE please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to correct it? Th...

unique value
Hi, I need to add a custom field, but I need this field to be unique (something similar to a primary key) bud I do not know how to do that. Thanks a lot. An example might be a Case number. You would add the field then add code to add one to the largest value found in the database. This will require code to implement ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "arielqs" <arielqs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10AA3E00-686E-4B58-B8C4-52B83CB1E538@microsoft.com... > Hi, I need to add a custom field, bu...

How do I find the out of office reply?

ignoring text data in a cell when summing values in the same cell
I have entered text in cells along with a numerical value as a note pertainig to the values example, "2 - exist". Is there a way to tell Excell to ignore the text data in order to sum the values..do you place the text in brackets or parathesis or something similar? -- FM Much, much easier never to mix text & numbers in the same cell in the 1st place. One avenue here, try use Data>Text to Columns to split the numbers separate from the text, then you can sum (or whatever) the numbers col directly. Or, assuming your data is representative (ie numbers are to the...

Referencing the Seconday Y axis scale values in code
Does anyone know how to Reference the Seconday Y axis scale values in code? I am automating a spreadsheet that uses a chart and i need to adjust these values at run time. I'm using Visual Basic. Thanks! Hi Ken, I have absolutely no idea when it comes to coding but the following KB article may point you in the right direction? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213695 Cheers, Katherine "Ken Ramirez" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:093901c398be$4b49ecd0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to Reference the S...

Ignore DIV/0 Errors in Array?
Hi all... I've got a spreadsheet that looks something like this: Score1 Score2 AvgScore 1 1 1 2 1 1.5 NULL NULL #DIV/0 The spreadsheet takes two scores we enter an averages them. The trick is that the spreadsheet is being fed from our database and people who haven't been 'scored' yet get a NULL. On a separate form, I am trying to run a =PERCENTILE function on the AvgScore column to see what our top x% score is, etc. The problem is, so long as the NULLs are in the data, there are DIV/0 cells in the array a...

Picklist Default Values ?
A problem: After a Lead is converted to an Opportunity, the new Opportunity has NULL values in the OpportunityBase table and CRMOpportunity.Retrieve cant access any picklist values for that Opportunity. Is there a way to access the default values for the picklist, perhaps through SQL ? The default values appear on the opportunity in the user interface - surely they must be there somewhere - or are they ? I have seen this problem posted but without any good solutions yet. Thanks. S picklist values are stored in the stringmap table "SuperSonic Steve" <lafleur@canadiensfan.c...

Look at field, check to see if that value exists in another table and act accordingly.
Hello ms.pub.access, I've been assigned to generate a DB to help analyze certain capability deficiencies within the US Army. I'm at a real show stopper based on my current knowledge level. I'm in need of some kind of routine that will check the value of the 'Tier3' field against a list of high priority tier3 values located in a separate table called 'mpmi'. If a high priority tier3 value is found within my table 'analyze' from field 'tier3' then I need the routine to generate a score of 1 and place it into the field called 'score'. If it...