How do I count the number of cells

I have  several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data.

All the columns are labled Odd or Even
In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that
that coulmn has data in it
The last row belows shows what the answer should be

												Total	Total
Odd	Even	Odd	Even	Odd	Even	Odd
	5	1	2		?????	?????
1	7		6	3	?????	?????
	5	1	2		?????	?????
1	2	9		3	1	3

PLease help

=COUNTA()

 - will count the number of non blank cells.

In the brackets place the range name (for example A1:A2).

Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.

Thanks.

"Alan" wrote:

> I have  several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data.
>
> All the columns are labled Odd or Even
> In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that
> that coulmn has data in it
> The last row belows shows what the answer should be
>
> 												Total	Total
> Odd	Even	Odd	Even	Odd	Even	Odd
> 	5	1	2		?????	?????
> 1	7		6	3	?????	?????
> 	5	1	2		?????	?????
> 1	2	9		3	1	3
>
> PLease help

but that will also count the even columns

I need to count the number of columns that only have "even" on the top and
data in them

and count the rows seperately that say "odd"

"trip_to_tokyo" wrote:

> =COUNTA()
>
>  - will count the number of non blank cells.
>
> In the brackets place the range name (for example A1:A2).
>
> Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Alan" wrote:
>
> > I have  several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data.
> >
> > All the columns are labled Odd or Even
> > In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that
> > that coulmn has data in it
> > The last row belows shows what the answer should be
> >
> > 												Total	Total
> > Odd	Even	Odd	Even	Odd	Even	Odd
> > 	5	1	2		?????	?????
> > 1	7		6	3	?????	?????
> > 	5	1	2		?????	?????
> > 1	2	9		3	1	3
> >
> > PLease help

Perhaps this to count across row 1:

=COUNTIF(1:1,"even")

--
"Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB
(www.MadRocketScientist.com)

Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.

"Alan" wrote:

> but that will also count the even columns
>
> I need to count the number of columns that only have "even" on the top and
> data in them
>
> and count the rows seperately that say "odd"
>

> "trip_to_tokyo" wrote:
>
> > =COUNTA()
> >
> >  - will count the number of non blank cells.
> >
> > In the brackets place the range name (for example A1:A2).
> >
> > Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "Alan" wrote:
> >
> > > I have  several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data.
> > >
> > > All the columns are labled Odd or Even
> > > In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times that
> > > that coulmn has data in it
> > > The last row belows shows what the answer should be
> > >
> > > 												Total	Total
> > > Odd	Even	Odd	Even	Odd	Even	Odd
> > > 	5	1	2		?????	?????
> > > 1	7		6	3	?????	?????
> > > 	5	1	2		?????	?????
> > > 1	2	9		3	1	3
> > >
> > > PLease help

Maybe this?

Odds:     =SUMPRODUCT((A$1:H$1="Odd")*(A2:H2<>""))

Evens:    =SUMPRODUCT((A$1:H$1="Even")*(A2:H2<>""))

Change the A thru H example columns to the actual column limits you are
using.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> but that will also count the even columns
>
> I need to count the number of columns that only have "even" on the top and
> data in them
>
> and count the rows seperately that say "odd"
>

> "trip_to_tokyo" wrote:
>
>> =COUNTA()
>>
>>  - will count the number of non blank cells.
>>
>> In the brackets place the range name (for example A1:A2).
>>
>> Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "Alan" wrote:
>>
>> > I have  several dozens columns and 52 rows containing Data.
>> >
>> > All the columns are labled Odd or Even
>> > In the final (right most) Column I want to count the number of times
>> > that
>> > that coulmn has data in it
>> > The last row belows shows what the answer should be
>> >
>> > Total Total
>> > Odd Even Odd Even Odd Even Odd
>> > 5 1 2 ????? ?????
>> > 1 7 6 3 ????? ?????
>> > 5 1 2 ????? ?????
>> > 1 2 9 3 1 3
>> >
>> > PLease help

0
Rick
12/1/2009 9:28:38 PM
That just counts the number of times the word even appears,  let me try to
rephrase my problem

I have several columns (over 100) that say either "odd" "even", or no
nothing at the top (row1)
I need a formula that will read across row 2 starting at column 1 look up to
see if "even" is written there, if it is and there is a value in that cell
(c1,r2) then I need to count that cell, then I need to look in Column 2, if
"even" is written there I need to count that cell as well (c2,r2).  repeat to
Column (DA)

            C1         C2          C3      C4          Count    Count
                                                               evan     Odd
R1        Even      Odd       Odd     neg

R2          1           1            1        4             formula?

R3                       2            2        3             formula?

R4           9          8            8         0            1            2
this is the result I need

"JBeaucaire" wrote:

> Perhaps this to count across row 1:
>
> =COUNTIF(1:1,"even")
>
> --
> "Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB
> (www.MadRocketScientist.com)
>
> Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.
>

> "Alan" wrote:
>
> > but that will also count the even columns
> >
> > I need to count the number of columns that only have "even" on the top and
> > data in them
> >
> > and count the rows seperately that say "odd"
> >

> > "trip_to_tokyo" wrote:
> >
> > > =COUNTA()
> > >
> > >  - will count the number of non blank cells.
> > >
> > > In the brackets place the range name (for example A1:A2).
> > >
> > > Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

He Shoots he scores

Thanks Rick

Excellent help

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

> Maybe this?
>
> Odds:     =SUMPRODUCT((A$1:H$1="Odd")*(A2:H2<>""))
>
> Evens:    =SUMPRODUCT((A$1:H$1="Even")*(A2:H2<>""))
>
> Change the A thru H example columns to the actual column limits you are
> using.
>
> --
> Rick (MVP - Excel)
>

> "Alan" <Alan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > but that will also count the even columns
> >
> > I need to count the number of columns that only have "even" on the top and
> > data in them
> >
> > and count the rows seperately that say "odd"
> >

> > "trip_to_tokyo" wrote:
> >
> >> =COUNTA()
> >>
> >>  - will count the number of non blank cells.
> >>
> >> In the brackets place the range name (for example A1:A2).
> >>
> >> Please hit Yes if my comments have helped.
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> .

Good afternoon,

To just count how many columns contain data, use:

=COUNTA(RangeToCount)

For Example:

A1  5
B1
C1  10
D1
E1  15
F1  =COUNTA(A1:E1) will give you 3.

Kind regards,
James
---
jamotarpey[at]gmail[dot]com

--
---
jamotarpey[at]gmail[dot]com

Jamo

Cell formating in Excel?
Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? No. -- Best Regards, Luke M "pmarina" <pmarina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D25B665-B7B8-477D-AAF8-80A347FFA0DD@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? ...

How to get a long column of numbers to wrap and print on 1 page?
I have a long column of numbers that we add to daily. This column needs to be sorted in ascending order and then printed. I don't know of a way to sort multiple columns together so that is why it is one long column. Is there a way to get it to print as multiple columns across a page so as to not have numerous pages with only 1 column on each? Thanks. take a look here: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm In article <3880FBB4-BF95-4A82-B98A-519C79BF1A34@microsoft.com>, Sue <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a long column of numbers th...

Excel-how (find/replace) for multifmat cells w/o changing fmat
For a client, i need to be able to find and replace words in cells with 2 formats. But when you replace them,it changes the format of the whole cell, and not just what you changed. Is there any way to work around this without changing the format after all of the find and replaces? Saved from a previous post, but this one has some wordwrap problems fixed: I think you'd have to keep track of each character's font attributes. This works very slowly, but works: Option Explicit Option Compare Text Type myCharacter myChar As String myLen As Long myName As String myFo...

Pivot table and counting.

Removiing decimals from an excel number
Here is the issue: I have numbers like this one - 10000.01.01.200 I just want the prime number 10000. How can I do that? I tried Ctrl+F and replace but is there a more efficient way? Thanks! =LEFT(A1,FIND(".",A1)-1) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 "Data Analyst" wrote: > Here is the issue: I have numbers like this one - 10000.01.01.200 > > I just want the prime number 10000. How can I do that? I tried Ctrl+F and > replace but is there a more efficient way? > > Thanks! try this =LEFT(A1,FIND(".",A1,1)-1)...

Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) error
What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the error? Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) Thanks Daniel Hi Daniel, Too much missing information - has r been declared and what data type is it and what value does it have. What property of the range are you trying to store in the variable RN? What type of variable is RN and has it been declared. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Daniel" wrote: > What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the > error? > > Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) > &...

Cycle Counting

change highlight color on active cells
How do I change the active highlight color of an active cell. Louis Only though VBA. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Static OldCell As Range If Not OldCell Is Nothing Then OldCell.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone End If Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 'yellow Set OldCell = Target End Sub This is sheet event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code". Copy and paste into that module. Chip Pearson has a great add-in named Rowliner.xla that will make the highlighting available for all sheets and workbooks. The code above w...

Count

Formulas don't work in certain cells #3
One formula is: =SUM(C10:C15) another: =SUM(O16/6363) another: =SUM(C19:C36) these same formulas work in the cells right next to these wit different cell references. However, no matter which cell I put th above formulas in, the result is the same - either blank with a dash i the cell or zero. I checked all the cells that the formulas refer t and none has any errors. -Jorda -- kalik24 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kalik247's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1594 View...

Window's verson numbers
I'm writing an app in C++ using VS.net and I need to do this based on the OS. I can get the OS version number using _osver global variable found in the include STDLIB.H. But I need a list of what version number correspond to what OS so I know what the value in _osver means. Does anyone know where I can find these definitions? Also the major and minor builds might be useful? If this is the wrong newsgroup could you direct me to the right one? Thank Lots, Neil Neil B wrote: >I'm writing an app in C++ using VS.net and I need to do this based on the OS. >I can get the OS ver...

format cells #4
hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or 'number' or even 'text'? i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to 09.dec. is this possible? thanks. (i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is exported) -- notrace2004 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817 View this thread: http://www....

Formatting cells in Excel with Ascending/Descending order
I am trying to insert a drop down asceding/descending arrow in the cell of the excel document. When you click on the arrow which is a small box on the right side of the cell, it will organize all figures/data in that column and you can choose between ascending/descending, or how you want to organize it. Thank you -- Andrew ...

Line count

Counting sales

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

How to retrieve value from specific cell value?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell value with specific worksheet? I would like to create a if-statement within macro, If specific cell within specific worksheet = 1 then process following code End If Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric hi If Sheets("sheet1").Range("A1") = 1 Then MsgBox "run code" Else MsgBox "skip code" End If regards FSt1 "Eric" wrote: > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to retrieve value from specific cell &...

telephone number field mask
I have a field I use for telephone numbers. I would like the mask to return data like this : 111 111 1111. What is the formula for this? Any help is appreciated. Mtn244: Thanks much for assistance. I tried your mask with great success. All is good in River City. Thanks again for your help. Frank "mtn244" <mtn244@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82895481-BC0D-4FB7-A9A8-1649395C1224@microsoft.com... > Try this input mask: > !999 000 0000;0; > > "Frank" wrote: > >> I have a field I use for telephone numbers. I would lik...

Changed Cell Address
I am using the Sub shown below. Question: How do I determine the address of the changed cell? Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim WatchRange As Range Dim IntersectRange As Range Set WatchRange = Range("E1:E31") Set IntersectRange = Intersect(Target, WatchRange) If IntersectRange Is Nothing Then 'MsgBox "Changes occured outside of range" Else 'MsgBox "You modified the selected range of cells" Application.Run "Test.xls!Time_Stamp" End If End Sub Hi Richard maybe target.address Cheers JulieD "Richard"...

Count Function
I am creating a report for the number of pupils being collected at a certain collection time e.g. 14:00hr and 15:00hrs using the formula =Count([Child Last Name]) in the collection time footer However when i try to count the overall number of pupils in the footer using the same formula, 'Error' appears on screen? Thanks There are potentially a dozen footer sections in a report. Which one is giving you a problem? What is the name of the control? What is the exact formula? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "ELo" wrote: > I am creating a r...

data validation
I have used MS Excell 97 and would like to define the validation rul over the celles in one column, so that text(or number) value entered i the every next cell to be unique in relation to the all previou completed celles. If somebody knows the decision of the problem -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try Debra Dalgleish's page at: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal07.html (Prevent Duplicates) -- Rgds Max xl 97 -- Please respond, in newsgroup xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com --- "doynovam >" <<doynovam.14at0j@excelforum-nospam.com> wr...

Counting a count
How do I count a count?? This is what im trying to do: I have a database with a table named tblMain and has incorporated everything within that table but contains info from about 8 other tables. I have not doesigned this database and it appears to have a very poor structure...anyway There are three fields involved in this process...'Request' (either 'dispensation', 'waiver' or 'dispensation and waiver'), 'Department' (which consists of 7 other drop down menu options) and 'RequestStatus' which contains the status of each request by another...