How do I count based on two conditions?

Hi there. I have a long lists of data to sort though and I am trying to write
a formula that counts that number of entries for a company with a certain
condition entered in another column. For instance

Company name  Condition
Big Corp             operatonal
Small corp          operational
Big Corp             non-operational

How do I count where Big Corp is operational and where it is non-operational?

Thanks,
Mark
0
G1 (145)

Try this, Mark:
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/count_using_multiple_criteria_in_microsoft_excel.htm
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Mark G" <Mark G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there. I have a long lists of data to sort though and I am trying to
> write
> a formula that counts that number of entries for a company with a certain
> condition entered in another column. For instance
>
> Company name  Condition
> Big Corp             operatonal
> Small corp          operational
> Big Corp             non-operational
>
> How do I count where Big Corp is operational and where it is
> non-operational?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

0
ng1 (1444)
1/31/2006 1:51:13 AM
Another option is to use SUMPRODUCT ..

Assuming source table is within A1:B100,
data from row2 down

Placed
In D2 down:  Big Corp, Small Corp, etc   (i.e. company names)
In E1: operational
In F1: non-operational

(Ensure the names / words match exactly with those within the source table.
Check spelling and spaces, etc.)

Then we could put in E2:
=SUMPRODUCT(($A$2:$A$100=$D2)*($B$2:$B$100=E$1))
Copy E2 to F2, and fill down to populate the table

Note that we can't use entire col references (eg: A:A, B:B, etc) in
SUMPRODUCT
--
Max
Singapore
"Mark G" <Mark G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there. I have a long lists of data to sort though and I am trying to
write
> a formula that counts that number of entries for a company with a certain
> condition entered in another column. For instance
>
> Company name  Condition
> Big Corp             operatonal
> Small corp          operational
> Big Corp             non-operational
>
> How do I count where Big Corp is operational and where it is
non-operational?

> Thanks,
> Mark

0
demechanik (4694)

Data Validation based on Optional Inputs
Hi I run W2K with Excel 2K. What I have is a data validation down box which has 2 options. Lets say in cell B8 and the are called "Selection 1" and "Selection 2" Then I have 2nd data validation box (lets say B11) which takes its information from a range name (which is in a different worksheet) Lets say the range name is called "Range 1" Now here is the problem, I have a second list in a separate worksheet which is defined by a range name called "Range 2" I would like the 2nd drop down box to be based on one of the "TWO" range names, d...

Pivot table and counting.

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article
I accessed my PST file with a laptop that had Outlook 2003 and now my outlook 2000 always hangs on close. There is a likely a free fix for it which involves contacting support but that is a very difficult thing to do. I don't want to do the credit card game for something that should not be broken. New stuff at PSS - if you're calling for a hotfix, you don't have to play the credit card game ... >-----Original Message----- >I accessed my PST file with a laptop that had Outlook 2003 >and now my outlook 2000 always hangs on close. There is a >likely a...

Need to create e-mail address based on description field of AD
Does anyone know if I can use recipient policy to create an smtp e-mail address based off the description field in AD. If so do they know the syntax. Thanks ahead of time That is not among the few options. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "mitch Roberson" <mitch@newsgroups.stuff> wrote in message news:OSvFrZp5GHA.2208@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Does anyone know if I can use recipient policy to create an smtp e-mail > address based off the description field in AD. If so do they know the > syntax. > ...

Cycle Counting

Count

Two stacked bars
Hi. I would like to create a stacked bar chart that actually has two stacked bars for each "X" category. Series 1 is in b3 through b7 Series 2 is in c3 through c7 Series 3 is in d3 through d7 Series 4 is in e3 through e7 I would like to stack series 1 and 2 together and series 3 and 4 together. Is there a way to do this? Thanks, Mike. As answered in microsoft.public.excel.misc: If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns. Jon Peltier has links to instructions on his web site: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Mike D. wr...

sharing pst between two profiles, possible?
Hi, I'm trying to setup two outlook profiles and would like to share the same pst so my users don't have to download the same messages twice, as they are now. Does anyone know how to do this? On Nov 14, 12:36 pm, Mike B <Mike B...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > I'm trying to setup two outlook profiles and would like to share the same > pst so my users don't have to download the same messages twice, as they are > now. Does anyone know how to do this? As long as it's not being opened at the same time, I think you can just point the pst data...

Conditional addition
Let's say I have four rows across, Activity, Budget, Revenue and Priority. I will have many rows beneath them, with lots of text under activity and numbers under budget, revenue and priority. I sort on Priority, of which there are 4- priority 1, priority 2, etc. Is there a way I can add all the priority 1s together, all the 2s. etc? In such a way that if I change an activity's priority from 1 to 2 the sums for all the priorty 1 and 2s change at the same time? Sort of conditional addition? Sorry if this is really simple but I am a Word man and this excel stuff freaks me out - I do...

Line count

Populate Blank Fields with "0" based on checkmark.
I have a form with 20 fields. The user enters data into some but not all of the fields depending on where they collected data. Is it possible to create a checkbox where, after the user enters their data, they click the checkbox, and any of the 20 fields that are blank get populated with a 0? Thanks for the help. Is there any reason you want them to be zero? If they are numeric fields, you can set the default to zero in table design view. There is no need to use a checkbox, you can arrange it so any empty fields are converted to zero when you move to another record or exit th...

Counting sales

double-click in between two rows or two columns
How to avoid cursor jumping around to different positions when I double-click in between two rows or two column ? Thanks Hi This is a feature of Excel! When you double click the border of the selected cell, the cursor will go to the edge of the contiguous data on the sheet. It's very useful for jumping to the start/end of data. I don't know of a way to disable it. -- Andy. "Ben" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bf5d01c4382c$a19b1bf0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How to avoid cursor jumping around to different positions > when I double-c...

two email accounts and Outlook mixing them together
My wife and I both have email account in Outlook Express (email account is Comcast) SOME of oue email are getting mixed together. Some, not all of mine show up in her account and visa versa. Any ideas????? "Brian" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ddf01c473d6$432dff20$a401280a@phx.gbl... > My wife and I both have email account in Outlook Express > (email account is Comcast) SOME of oue email are getting > mixed together. Some, not all of mine show up in her > account and visa versa. Any ideas????? This group is for Outlook 97, 98, 20...

Changing Account Distribution Based on Customer Region
My chart of accounts is segmented by Product and Region. I have setup SOP to use posting Account from Item. In addition, I have setup a User-defined field to identify each customer region in Customer Address. Since I can only have one sale account for an item, I don't want to manually change my account distribution in sales documents everytime I sell to customers in a different region from the default defined for the item. I would like GP to automatically change the Account Distribution so that it substitute the appropriate region segment based on the user-defined field in Customer...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

Counting a count
How do I count a count?? This is what im trying to do: I have a database with a table named tblMain and has incorporated everything within that table but contains info from about 8 other tables. I have not doesigned this database and it appears to have a very poor structure...anyway There are three fields involved in this process...'Request' (either 'dispensation', 'waiver' or 'dispensation and waiver'), 'Department' (which consists of 7 other drop down menu options) and 'RequestStatus' which contains the status of each request by another...

Linking errors with MFC Dialog Based application and Crypto++
Hi, For quite long now I've been trying to get the Crypto++ ([url]www.cryptopp.com[/url]) library working with a simple MFC Dialog Based application. The strange thing is that a Win32 console application links and works fine with the same settings :-| Here are the errors I'm getting: > > --------------------Configuration: dialog - Win32 > Debug-------------------- > Linking... > LINK : warning LNK4049: locally defined symbol ""public: __thiscall > std::ios_base::Init::Init(void)" (??0Init@ios_base@std@@QAE@XZ)" > imported > LINK : warni...

Count Function
I am creating a report for the number of pupils being collected at a certain collection time e.g. 14:00hr and 15:00hrs using the formula =Count([Child Last Name]) in the collection time footer However when i try to count the overall number of pupils in the footer using the same formula, 'Error' appears on screen? Thanks There are potentially a dozen footer sections in a report. Which one is giving you a problem? What is the name of the control? What is the exact formula? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "ELo" wrote: > I am creating a r...

Count Problem
Hi I have 20 cells in a single column in a sheet called "Audits" All the cells have a formula in them. The formula is a simple one that reads whatever I put into a cell on a different worksheet called "Names" ie: =Names!A1 = Names!A2 etc etc I would like to have a formula that counts up all the results I get in the sheet called "Audits" At the moment if I enter (let say) 15 names in the "Names" sheet the result is that I see the same 15 names in the "Audits" sheet, however the COUNTA formula returns a total of 20. SO obviously...

Conditional Data Validation
So I have two columns of Data Validations: Column A we'll call Cost Centers Column B we'll call Accounts If somebody puts in a Cost Center for a specific department which we will call Advertising, then a different list shows up in Column B of only Advertising Accts. I use the following formula in Column B for my Data Validation: =IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A5,advertising,1,0)),accounts,advaccts) where "accounts" is all accounts and "advaccts" is only advertising accounts. That works ok. I'm sure that is not the best way of doing it; but here is my ...

unique or distinct count from xml
How to get a unique count from a xml <Orders> <Order ID="1111" Amount="200"></Order> <Order ID= "2222" Amount="10"></Order> <Order ID="3333" Amount="5"></Order> <Order ID="1111" Amount="20"></Order> </Orders> The result should be 3 unique count and the 4 Order Id counts. How can i get using XPathNodeIterator using Compile,Execute with a XPathNavigator thanks you bhu The XPath expression for that is count(Orders/Order[not(@ID=preceding-sibling::Or...