How do I copy a formula from one worksheet to another?

I have a formula in one worksheet and want to copy that result to a cell in
another worksheet.  When I try to do that, I get "#REF#" in the destination
cell.  How can I make this work?
0
cahduq (1)

"cahduq" <cahduq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a formula in one worksheet and want to copy that result to a cell in
> another worksheet.  When I try to do that, I get "#REF#" in the
> destination
> cell.  How can I make this work?

Copy-Paste Special-Values

0
gbplinux (1141)
6/27/2007 4:48:17 PM
Hi

If you only want the result in another tab and don't care if it is next to
the sourse data, just cut and paste it to the tab you want it in.  That will
preserve the relationship to the data.

Norm
normbenish@hotmail.com

"cahduq" wrote:

> I have a formula in one worksheet and want to copy that result to a cell in
> another worksheet.  When I try to do that, I get "#REF#" in the destination
> cell.  How can I make this work?
Would it not be better to reference the cell where the formula is in case
the results change?

"cahduq" <cahduq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a formula in one worksheet and want to copy that result to a cell in
> another worksheet.  When I try to do that, I get "#REF#" in the
> destination
> cell.  How can I make this work?

0
gailr (88)
7/1/2007 1:30:03 PM
How do you reference the cell? I have tried numerous times and cannot get it
right.

Thanks

"Gail Richner" wrote:

> Would it not be better to reference the cell where the formula is in case
> the results change?
>

> "cahduq" <cahduq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a formula in one worksheet and want to copy that result to a cell in
> > another worksheet.  When I try to do that, I get "#REF#" in the
> > destination
> > cell.  How can I make this work?

0
que (3)
9/14/2007 8:40:01 PM
If all you want is the result, just copy then paste special>value.

You could on target sheet use  =sourcesheet!A1

Or  select the cell to copy and edit>replace

What:  =

With:   ^^^

Copy the cell to next sheet then reverse the process.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 13:40:01 -0700, Que <Que@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How do you reference the cell? I have tried numerous times and cannot get it
>right.
>
>Thanks
>
>"Gail Richner" wrote:
>
>> Would it not be better to reference the cell where the formula is in case
>> the results change?
>>

>> "cahduq" <cahduq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a formula in one worksheet and want to copy that result to a cell in
>> > another worksheet.  When I try to do that, I get "#REF#" in the
>> > destination
>> > cell.  How can I make this work?

0
Gord
9/14/2007 9:31:20 PM
One way

In the destination cell, type "=" (without quotes),
click on the sheet tab of the cell that you wish to reference,
click on the cell that you wish to reference,
press 'Enter'.

George Gee

"Que" <Que@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do you reference the cell? I have tried numerous times and cannot get
> it
> right.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Gail Richner" wrote:
>
>> Would it not be better to reference the cell where the formula is in case
>> the results change?
>>

>> "cahduq" <cahduq@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a formula in one worksheet and want to copy that result to a cell
>> >in
>> > another worksheet.  When I try to do that, I get "#REF#" in the
>> > destination
>> > cell.  How can I make this work?

0
georgegee (154)
9/14/2007 9:36:12 PM
I have a similar problem, I have a large number of formulas that i need to
copy from one worksheet to another. Under the paste tab the Formula option is
greyed out. (i have checked in excel options\advanced\ cut, copy and paste
and all three options are ticked.)
I have saved the source workbook as a 2007 file too so that I am copying and
pasting to the same version of excel.
Any ideas>

"cahduq" wrote:

> I have a formula in one worksheet and want to copy that result to a cell in
> another worksheet.  When I try to do that, I get "#REF#" in the destination
> cell.  How can I make this work?
0
zylah (1)
6/2/2008 3:51:02 PM

"cahduq" wrote:

> I have a formula in one worksheet and want to copy that result to a cell in
> another worksheet.  When I try to do that, I get "#REF#" in the destination
> cell.  How can I make this work?
0
Bakheet (1)
4/13/2009 1:09:09 PM
Just put ' before existing formula now copy the while cell and paste in
new sheet (don't ignore to copy whole cell including ' ).

After pasting formula just move ' and your formula will be in shape but
make sure that the formula will work on relevant rows and columns only

mubashir aziz
mubashir aziz's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=237
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/showthread.php?t=85497

Here's my scenario.
Microsoft Excel 2003 (11.8033.8028) SP2

I have 'Reporting Workbook Days 1-7'
I also have 'Reporting Workbook Days 8-14'.

The master template from which both were created, had a formula error (so
the rows are summing 'off' by one row).
Example:
On Row 69, the formula in cell D69 shows:
=SUM('Mon 10.12'!D68,'Tue 10.13'!D68,'Wed 10.14'!D68,'Thu 10.15'!D68,'Fri
10.16'!D68,Sun!D68,Sat!D68)

All of those !D68 's should be !D69 's. (And this general process repeats
across for *Columns* D through X.

So, I will go through and manually correct each one.
I will do this for all of the affected rows (12 rows, and 21 columns).
That will have manually corrected 'Reporting Workbook Days 1-7'.

However, when I try to copy these formulas over to 'Reporting Workbook Days
8-14', the formula (no matter what I choose) insists on referencing the
original workbook.
I don't want another copy of the data from Days 1-7, I want to instead
correct the erroneous formulas for Days 8-14.
(And the other 120 or so days that need to be fixed, one week at a time.)

I'd love to only do the manual work once, instead of many many times.

Anyone have a process for me?

Separately, is there a faster way other than manually updating 12x21 cells
for correcting the initial workbook (which I will then use as a template for
the others) ?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
Have you tried an Edit>Replace>Lookin>Formulas

What:  D68

With: D69

Secondly...............to copy formulas that reference sheets as yours do,
one method is to do an Edit>Replace in source workbook.

What:  =

Wioth:  ^^^

Replace all.

Copy to new workbook then reverse the edit>replace.

Another methos is to copy as is then Edit>Links>Change Links to the current
new workbook.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:23:01 -0800, Louis de Pointe du Lac
<LouisdePointeduLac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Here's my scenario.
>Microsoft Excel 2003 (11.8033.8028) SP2
>
>I have 'Reporting Workbook Days 1-7'
>I also have 'Reporting Workbook Days 8-14'.
>
>The master template from which both were created, had a formula error (so
>the rows are summing 'off' by one row).
>Example:
>On Row 69, the formula in cell D69 shows:
>=SUM('Mon 10.12'!D68,'Tue 10.13'!D68,'Wed 10.14'!D68,'Thu 10.15'!D68,'Fri
>10.16'!D68,Sun!D68,Sat!D68)
>
>All of those !D68 's should be !D69 's. (And this general process repeats
>across for *Columns* D through X.
>
>So, I will go through and manually correct each one.
>I will do this for all of the affected rows (12 rows, and 21 columns).
>That will have manually corrected 'Reporting Workbook Days 1-7'.
>
>However, when I try to copy these formulas over to 'Reporting Workbook Days
>8-14', the formula (no matter what I choose) insists on referencing the
>original workbook.
>I don't want another copy of the data from Days 1-7, I want to instead
>correct the erroneous formulas for Days 8-14.
>(And the other 120 or so days that need to be fixed, one week at a time.)
>
>I'd love to only do the manual work once, instead of many many times.
>
>Anyone have a process for me?
>
>Separately, is there a faster way other than manually updating 12x21 cells
>for correcting the initial workbook (which I will then use as a template for
>the others) ?
>

>Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

0
Gord
11/3/2009 12:25:49 AM

"cahduq" wrote:

> I have a formula in one worksheet and want to copy that result to a cell in
> another worksheet.  When I try to do that, I get "#REF#" in the destination
> cell.  How can I make this work?
Copy the cell then right click on the cell in the another worksheet
then select 'Special Paste' then select 'Value' then click OK.

Cheers

RC

--
ratcat
ratcat's Profile: 1563

http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz

0
ratcat

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Can I "unlock" just one cell in a protected worksheet?
Is there any way I can unlock just one cell in a protected worksheet without removing the protection from the entire worksheet? I am working on a fairly complex worksheet that has 10-15 data entry cells. The rest of the worksheet contains formulas and informational text. I have the formulas pretty much debugged and working. I am now down to making mostly cosmetic changes to the text and formatting. I have marked all of the data entry cells in a different color to help me keep from overwriting a formula, but it still happens occasionally. I usually catch it right away and can recover with ...

What's wrong with this COUNTIF formula?
=COUNTIF(weekly355comp2000,">A105") A105=20000 There are a number of cells in the range greater than 20000 but the formula returns 0. thanks Try the following: =COUNTIF(weekly355comp2000,">"&A105) -- HTH, Laura Cook Appleton, WI "Dave Potter" <dpotter41 at chartertn NOSPAM dot net> wrote in message news:6ie9ov48p7tqv85ohpsbnuq7rgi1smtr21@4ax.com... > =COUNTIF(weekly355comp2000,">A105") > > A105=20000 > There are a number of cells in the range greater than 20000 but the > formula returns 0. > > thanks As ...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Secondary Copy

local copy of mail

Row hieght formula
I was wondering if there is a formula for row height. I have a lon list, and I want each row that returns a 0 to collapse automatically. Anyone know how to do that -- funktasti ----------------------------------------------------------------------- funktastic's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1600 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27473 You should hide them. I'm not too keen on Visual Basic, but that's where you'd need to go to automate it. If you'd like to do it manually you can filter the cel...

Formula to reach goal percentage of migrating customers
I am working on a formula and am stuck. I have a goal date that I want to have a certain percentage of customers migrated (90%). There are many weeks leading up to the goal date. I have the following criteria setup: Prior to Week-4 2% of base migrate Week-4 20% migrate Week-3 20% migrate Week-2 20% migrate Week-1 20% migrate Week-0 balance migrate How can I set up a formula on a declining base to reach my goal of 90%? ...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Count Formula #4
I have a spreadsheet with three tabs. They all have people requesting time off...first sheet is for people requesting more than a week off - 2nd for 1 week at a time - 3rd for people just wanting 1 day off. The sheets have their name then 2 columns one for days off starting and the other for days off finishing (With the exception of people just wanting one day off) I would like to have another sheet counting the number of people off on a daily basis. It is easy enough using "counif" for the people asking for 1 day off...but I can't seem to easily break out the weekly...

Outlook 2000 SP3

formula to get true average
Hi, I need a formula to achieve a average for some mutual funds I have purchased over a period of years. Column A contains the number of shares I have purchased and Column C contain the price per share and Column D contains the cost for these shares. For example column A2 contains 130.29 and Column C2 contains $18.30 and Column D2 contains $2,484.25. Each cell in Column A contains a different number of shares and likewise so does column C and D. I have 40 cells in Column A each with a different number of shares and Column C has 50 cells each with a different amount per share and Colum...

Parsing Text When Only One Character Can Be Used To Search
Hello: I've spent a couple of hours looking on this site, and have found some excellent new tips, but still need to ask for assistance. I have a series of text rows containing one string that I need to parse. There are no characters I can use as delimeters (inconsistent), and there is no consistent use of text qualifiers; it's in effect, free form text. Here's a sample record ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ FROM per_requisitions_v@appslink req2, per_vacancies@appslink vac2, What I need to pull from this string is --...

Copy picture ossice wizard

to open a set of folders with one click
Is there a program that you can set the folders you need to open and click on one button it opens all in one mouse-click? It should have the ability to save mutlple sets. I don't want to save a lot of shortcuts and open by clicking these shortcuts. Thanks for the help, On 1/27/2010 5:42 PM, liu wrote: > Is there a program that you can set the folders you need to open and > click on one button it opens all in one mouse-click? It should have > the ability to save mutlple sets. I don't want to save a lot of > shortcuts and open by clicking these shortcuts. > &...

Need Formula
Hey guys, I am a professional driver and my workbook is setup to keep track of my hours on the road on a day-to-day basis. With the new change in the DOT law I need a solution that complies with those variations but works with this setup: The days of the month run down column A contiguously and each days hours are tracked across rows. For example; Cell E6 is the Drive Time. Cell F6 is the On Duty hours. Cell G6 contains the formula; =SUM(E6:F6). Now, cell I6 adds that total to include the previous 5 cells in column G to come up with a total (the last six days) on duty. Okay, cell K6 is the ...

formulae
Sorry if this is a simple question (I used to know excel alot better ... I think!) I have a column with about various text strings in each cell. In a single cell to the right of this column I want to get the sum of a particular word from that column. can anyone help ? thanking you gerryR Sorry, say my column contains NT 2000 2000 NT XP XP then in my cell to the right I want to be able to display NT= 2 so it counts the amount of times NT appears in the column. thanks gerryR "Mangesh Yadav" <mangesh.NOSPAMyadav@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23tF1WWObFHA.796@TK...

subtotal copy and paste

Formula appearing instead of result
I have the following code in a macro If Range("g" & x - 1) > 2 Then 'charlie if ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=R[-1]C[-3]-RC[-3]" ElseIf Range("g" & x - 1) < 2 Then ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=R[-1]C[-3]-RC[-3]" Else: ActiveCell.Value = "2 yellow" End If In the active cell, I am getting "=R[-1]C[-3]-RC[-3]" showing up instead of the result. I've tried chaning formatting to general, text, number, etc. Sometimes it works sometimes it doe...

formula result not able to be summed
i have multiple formulas, i want to sum the results of formulas in columns l to q, then divide them by the total, i.e. L4:L10 divided by L4:Q10. but the results in those columns are from another column if the result of that other column falls within a certain category. so if D4 is either a, b, or c then L4 = F which is a number, but the value in L4 isnt formatted as a number therefore i cannot sum the values in column L. is there a way around this? Hi If there is a formula in L4, you'll need to turn the result into a number. Try something like: =VALUE(yourformula) in there. Hope th...

limit number of rows 7 colloms in a worksheet
is there a way to limit or set the number of rows & collums in a worksheet ? thanks david --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "davidbrowne17" <davidbrowne17.ya1sm@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:davidbrowne17.ya1sm@excelforum-nospam.com... > is there a way to limit or set the number of rows & collums in a > worksheet ? No. All worksheets have 256 columns by 65536 rows. You can hide unused rows/columns. But why bother? Hi David, Put this in the ThisWorkbook code module. Adjust to suit the area. Private Sub Workbook_Open() Wo...

Merging worksheets with VBA Code -- HELP!
Hello I need help with using a VBA code to merge data from a range of worksheets in a workbook. I have several worksheets that are formatted the same except they may have a different amount of rows of data on each spreadsheet and they are named for each of my employees. When I run the Macro, it is giving me all of the details, columns and rows from the 1st sheet only, Sonia G then it only gives me the information in colums A, B, C, E, F, G, I from the other work sheets. However, all of the worksheets have information in columns A thru AA. I used the following code for a Summary She...

Backup mail server (One domain, two mail servers)
Hey there I setup exchange to receive mail for 2 domains. Its working fine. As a contingency plan i want to setup a scenario in which even if my mail server aint available i shouldnt have LOST MAIL/ BOUNCED MAIL issues. I studied a few possibilities including clustering but that aint applicable to our scenario. The possibility applicable is the presence of 2 mail servers on the same domain. If my primary mail server is not available for some reason, my second machine takes over. I know thats possible but HOW? Can someone guide me to the implementation. At the moment, i have one machine servic...