How do I bring up a file that I saved as an Excel file?

I am taking classes and have to do work on Excel and was wondering why when I
save them I can't retrieve them? I can see the file names but am not able to
retrieve them I am inexperienced on Office.
0
mslion (1)

Hi

open excel, choose file & open, locate your files, click on the one you want
to open and press the Open button.

however, if the files that you want to open are on a floppy disk then it is
a VERY good idea to copy them onto your hard drive before opening them.
This is best achieved using windows explorer. to do this:
right mouse click on the start button
choose explore
ensure the floppy disk is in drive A of your computer
on the left hand side of the explorer window scroll up so that you can see
Floppy disk (A:) - or similar
click on it, the files it contains should now be shown on the right hand
side of the screen
click on the first one
right mouse click
choose send to - my documents
repeat for all files

now go and open excel and try again, this time selecting the files from the
my documents directory.

Hope this helps - let us know how you go

Cheers
JulieD

"mslion" <mslion@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am taking classes and have to do work on Excel and was wondering why
when I
> save them I can't retrieve them? I can see the file names but am not able
> retrieve them I am inexperienced on Office.

0
JulieD1 (2295)

Last saved date #2
I would like a spreadsheet to show its last saved date in a cell, which updates automatically when the spreadsheet is changed and saved - well, saved, as I wouldn't save it if there were no changes. I thought there was a function that did this but I can't find anything. Using Excel in Office XP (Excel 2002). Thanks Bryan Bryan, you could use something link this, put it in the thisworkbook module Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) 'If you save the file the date will be placed in cell A1of Sheet1 Sheets("Sheet1").Range("...

Total Saved from MSRP on 40 Col Receipt
v1.3 I am wondering if anyone has come up with a receipt that defines the "You Saved __" from the MSRP (to list on a 40 col receipt). I have found in the postings a little bit about this, but not enough. Additionally on Customer Source I have found a receipt template that will list MSRP, but only as a line item on a full page receipt. Has anyone had any luck with this, or does anyone have any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated! -- Jocelyn ...

Read XML file as an Access table?
Is there any way to process an XML file as an Access table or does the XML have to be imported to a table first? I did some experiments and XML processing appears to be extremely slow; is there any way to speed it up? Thanks. ...

Problem with the pst file
Hi there, I'm facing a problem in opening a pst file(zile size 2.1GB). I have scanned the file using scanpst.exe several times but the problem still persists. I have also used the tool which minimises the size of the file..but no luck. I really don't know why this problem occurs..is it due to the file size..or one of the mails has got corrupt. Also if by change if iam able to retrieve the file can i export the same to Outlook Express so that the problem doens't arise again..? Thanks in advance. Regards. Avinash Outlook 97-2002 pst-files can only be up to 2GB. You can r...

worksheet window couldn't be full-screen to excel
Hi expert, I found my worksheet under excel couldn't be full screened to the excel window. I hit the "full-screen" button at the right top corner and it only flashed and remained as a window within excel ( smaller than the excel window size) It used to be OK but somehow not functioned properly recently. Any way to reset it back? I'm using Office Excel 2003 SP2. Thanks Surfer ...

File formats
I have a question concerning file formats. As a small business manager using personal computers in the workplace is essential. Over the course of any fiscal year documents are generated and files produced which are important for maintaining from year to year. Often these important files are generated in Microsoft Word and Excel in my work. I recently referred to one such file that was 5 years old to see the frightening words: “File Error: data may have been lost.” My question related to which file formats are best for file retention. I am not interested in paying a com...

Excel 2002 calcs slower than Excel 97
I just upgraded from Excel 97 on NT (2.8Ghz w/1GB Ram) to Excel 2002 on XP (3.0Ghz w/1GB Ram). Excel 2002 now seems to calculate a LOT slower. It seems to happen more when I've imported data from an Access query. But even after I've broken all of the links to the access query the calculation now takes on average 10-14 minutes!!! This used to take less than 1 minute. I'm open to any ideas... lets hear your suggestions & questions!!! ...

Files opening with different file names
Good afternoon/morning. Having a strange issue with Excel at present. If a file is sitting on my desktop, called invoices.xls, I click on it to open, and it opens as invoices1 The same happens if I 'explore' to the file. However, if I open excel and then click 'file''open' then click on the file, it opens as invoices.xls. When trying to save invoices1 it will save as invoices1.xls, then if I open this it will open it as invoices11 I'm running Windows 2000 with Excel 2000. Any help/guesswork would be appreciated! It sounds like the default behavior when you ...

green bullets in cells
What are the green bullet looking items for in the upper right corner of each of my cells. This appeared when I opened a workbook in Excel 2002 that was previously created in Excel 2000. Its not a cell comment. I wanted to know if this green bullet whatever it is can be turned off? Thanks, Bruce Bruce, I believe if signals potential errors in the cells. It can be removed. Go to the Tools menu, choose Options, then the Error Checking tab. There, uncheck the "Enable background error checking" to disable all error checking. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out acros...

Zipping a mdb-file
How can I zip a mdb-file. My problem is I have an export to a mdb-file. This file goes as an attachment to Outlook. I need to zip this mdb-file both to reduse the size and also to get it sent with Outlook. By now I use pkzip with a shell argument, but I would like to make all the programming in access. reidarT I use Winzip with its "Command Line" interface to Zip the desired MDF, but I use ShellWait (just Google ShellWait) to launch Winzip. To then send as an e-mail, it depends on whether you're using Outlook or Outlook Express. I use the latter, so it's necessary to us...

Attaching ZIP files in Outlook
After recently updating to SP2, I've come upon a mysterious occurence. Now, when I'd like to attach a ZIP file to an email, none of the .zip files show up when opening a folder and "show all files" is selected. Did a security setting change? All other file types are shown, except - of course - the one I want! (.zip) Man, they don't call me Schleprock for nothing! ...

excel filtering #3
how can I see how many rows meet my filter criteria in excel Use this function: SUBTOTAL(3,A2:A100) "Arthur Kuijper" wrote: > how can I see how many rows meet my filter criteria in excel Lower left hand corner of screen will say something like... '25 of 187 records found' immediately after applying the filter HTH, Gary Brown using Excel XP "Arthur Kuijper" wrote: > how can I see how many rows meet my filter criteria in excel Gary Not necessarily. From Debra Dalgleish...................... Normally, after you have applied an AutoFilter, the Status...

What are these tmp.dll files ?
Hello - I have a number of files (about 70 - 25mb in size total) with names similar to: _005282_.tmp.dll. They appear in \windows\system32 and \windows\system32\drivers. They seem to be related to SP2 (I have SP3 installed). For example, displaying the properties/ file version info, you see something like 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) Thanks for any info. On Nov 19, 5:06=A0pm, "Dave and Rosanna" <davexnet...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hello - > I have a number of files (about 70 - 25mb in size total) with names simil= ar > to: > _005...

What's the difference between Bring to Front and Bring Forward?
When you pull down Arrange and then go to Order I don't see the difference between Bring to Front and Bring Forward. Can anyone explain? Big Marta <Big Marta@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > When you pull down Arrange and then go to Order I don't see the > difference between Bring to Front and Bring Forward. Can anyone > explain? If you have ten objects, in numerical order, front to back: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Bring to front on object 5 will reorder them 5 1 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 Bring forward will reorder them 1 2 3 5 4 6 7 8 9 10 Bring for...

MFC and batch files
Greetings, I posted similar topic here few weeks ago. I appreciate the responses. I have succesfully converted a batch file into a MFC dialog based application. Immediate results are a lot faster execution and detailed error reporting. Instead of calling other programs to do the task like a batch file does, I embedded C++ code, MFC and WinAPI functionality to do the same things. However, since this is my first major project, I am certain there is room for improvment by following good software engineering practices. One place where I am encountering trouble is terminating application. S...

Merging excel files
Hello everyone, I have one excel file for every day of the month since June 2003. I would like to create one file per month and merge the daily file into it...is there another way to do it other than copy/paste? Please help there is a lot of files what are the names of your files "Raul V" <pacificinet@aol.com> wrote in message news:0fa401c377e3$026dd5e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hello everyone, I have one excel file for every day of the > month since June 2003. I would like to create one file per > month and merge the daily file into it...is there another > way t...

embedding Word files in cells of Excel 2003
(I am a beginner with Excel) Each month I send an email with an xls attachment. The xls contains cells which contain quotation reference numbers for Word documents. This is for ISO2000 documentation tracking. Now I also send seperate emails each with the Word quotation attached but I'm being told that when these emails are later opened the attachment is not always present. Is it possible for me to link the quotation to the cell so that after emailing the xls the recipient can open the Word quotation by clicking on the relevant cell? Beemer I'm not sure you could link the ...

Excel2000 keeps asking me to save when no changes were made
Excel2000 keeps asking me to save when no changes were made. This only happens on a few workbooks and has only been hapening the past 4 months. As time goes on it is happening more frequently. Ran Norton Anti-Virus, no viruses detected. Ran Spyware software, no problems there either. Have you got any of the following volatile functions in your workbook, as the existence of any of these will cause that message, because that function is recalculated every time you open the workbook, and as far as Excel is concerned that is a change. Most common one I would suggest is the TODAY() function. ...

Multiple Excel Charts to PowerPoint
OK, I think I have a question that will stump even the best of you! :) I have several worksheets that contain multiple charts. I want to copy the charts from Excel to PowerPoint with one chart to a slide. I can do so one at a time by copying and pasting them. The drawback is that it takes lots of time to do this because I'm working with 250+ charts. My question is if there is a way to quickly export the charts to PowerPoint so that each slide contains a different chart. Partway through this article you'll find programmatic approaches to that very problem: http://peltier...

Search file and within the file
Hi, I have several files in a folder most of them are CVs in word format, I want to create a query or access program to get the subject with some criteria - any ideas? If I search for a particular Text, that should check and matching file name and also inside the word file. I tried google desktop search, coppernic search and even the MS Search - but nothing helped in a way I want. I appreciate your valuable time. Rgds Anver, To develop a bespoke Access application will take much effort and involve using Windows APIs. I suggest you don't want to do this. Instead consider upgrad...

access files to excel files
Hi there I would be so thankfull if you could kindly let me know hwo to do it: I have 360 access files which each of them has 5 columns data with 200 rows. names are like: 1.dbf, 2.dbf.....360.dbf now I want to change them (at same time) to excel files as: 1.xls, 2.xls, ..., 360.xls At same directory. Appereciate your help. Best Darius Hi Darius, I assume you mean dBASE files and not Access files: Access database files have the .mdb extension and never contain just a single table. On that assumption I'd write VBA code to build and execute a series of make-table queries, something lik...

how to use static lib file in mfc application
Hi all, I have created a static library called myp2p.lib. Now i want to link this library to my mfc application. When i link this file, linking is successful but as soon as i add the header file to use this library (i.e., myp2p.h), it gives an error "fatal error no such file exist"....error is correct since i dont have any file of such name in the application....so how do i use a static library in my mfc application kunal On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:29:00 -0800, kunal s patel <kunalspatel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all, > >I have created a static library...

Listing the file name of workbook in a cell?
Is there a way to have the name of the workbook listed in a cell an have it auto update each time the name of the workbook changes Everytime I update the form I change the version number (which is i the name) but I have to update each page in the workbook, which is pain. Just wondering, McDe -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com McDee From a post by Chip Pearson............ Use =CELL("filename",A1) to get the full name, including the sheet name. E.g., C:\Temp\[Test.Xls]Sheet1 Use =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))...

saving files with mapped drives
I access a vpn, when offline the drives are still mapped. When i click on save as in excel, there is an extremely long delay. If I unmap the drives, its fine. Im using XP pro and office 2k3. Is there any fix for this other than making myself logon/logoff scripts that unmap and remap my drives every time. ...

macro to move from file to file, folder to folder
I am writing/recording a macro to make changes in 64 different spreadsheets in 64 different folders on a network. I am just learning vba. I don't know how to tell Excel to move through the 64 folders, test for the spreadsheet to be sure it's there, then make changes. Most of the changes will be easy to do as I will just record them while I make them. The one change that I don't know how to make is to copy a series of long descriptions from one spreadsheet into all of the others. Any suggestions? TIA Dave ...