formula to update dates periodically

I am creating a spreadsheet and one column will have a date established  and 
another column will have a follow-up date, which will be three weeks from 
established date. Is there a formula to change the follow-up date every three 
weeks and can it stop changing when the word "closed" is entered in another 
column.  The follow-up date already has a conditional format to turn red and 
alert user that notices are due. The esatblish date is permanent.
0
Graham8706 (123)
4/14/2008 8:29:00 PM
excel.newusers 15348 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
583 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 48

Some thoughts on a possible approach ..

Suppose you have this set-up in cols A and B

EstabDate	Status
15-Feb-08	Open
15-Mar-08	Open
etc

You could set up the "21 days" consecutive monitoring in adjacent cols to 
the right (eg in col C across), where the 1st col (col C) monitors it for the 
1st 21-day period, the 2nd col (col D) monitors it for the 2nd 21-day 
stretch, and so on 

In C2:
=IF(AND($A2<>"",TODAY()>=$A2+COLUMNS($A:A)*21,$B2<>"Closed"),"Alert"&COLUMNS($A:A),"")
Copy C2 across as far as required / fill down as far as required

You'd get something which looks like this:

EstabDate	Status	FUpD1	FUpD2
15-Feb-08	Open	Alert1	Alert2 
15-Mar-08	Open	Alert1	
etc
-- 
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
"Graham" wrote:
> I am creating a spreadsheet and one column will have a date established  and 
> another column will have a follow-up date, which will be three weeks from 
> established date. Is there a formula to change the follow-up date every three 
> weeks and can it stop changing when the word "closed" is entered in another 
> column.  The follow-up date already has a conditional format to turn red and 
> alert user that notices are due. The esatblish date is permanent.
0
demechanik (4694)
4/14/2008 11:46:00 PM
This would work except that the item maybe opened for an indefinite period 
which would result in indefinite columns. The spreadsheet is very large and 
it is tediuos searching for overdue items every day. Is there a macros for 
this purpose or a different approach to the problem. 

"Max" wrote:

> Some thoughts on a possible approach ..
> 
> Suppose you have this set-up in cols A and B
> 
> EstabDate	Status
> 15-Feb-08	Open
> 15-Mar-08	Open
> etc
> 
> You could set up the "21 days" consecutive monitoring in adjacent cols to 
> the right (eg in col C across), where the 1st col (col C) monitors it for the 
> 1st 21-day period, the 2nd col (col D) monitors it for the 2nd 21-day 
> stretch, and so on 
> 
> In C2:
> =IF(AND($A2<>"",TODAY()>=$A2+COLUMNS($A:A)*21,$B2<>"Closed"),"Alert"&COLUMNS($A:A),"")
> Copy C2 across as far as required / fill down as far as required
> 
> You'd get something which looks like this:
> 
> EstabDate	Status	FUpD1	FUpD2
> 15-Feb-08	Open	Alert1	Alert2 
> 15-Mar-08	Open	Alert1	
> etc
> -- 
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---
> "Graham" wrote:
> > I am creating a spreadsheet and one column will have a date established  and 
> > another column will have a follow-up date, which will be three weeks from 
> > established date. Is there a formula to change the follow-up date every three 
> > weeks and can it stop changing when the word "closed" is entered in another 
> > column.  The follow-up date already has a conditional format to turn red and 
> > alert user that notices are due. The esatblish date is permanent.
0
Graham8706 (123)
4/15/2008 1:48:01 AM
Suggest you try posting in .programming, then
-- 
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
--- 
"Graham" <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:807B595E-39CF-4A1E-9F10-CDB6FB4A1FE1@microsoft.com...
> This would work except that the item maybe opened for an indefinite period
> which would result in indefinite columns. The spreadsheet is very large 
> and
> it is tediuos searching for overdue items every day. Is there a macros for
> this purpose or a different approach to the problem.


0
demechanik (4694)
4/15/2008 2:17:52 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

help with formula please #2
Can anyone please help with this formula. If Sheet1 Column A = nothing(blank) And Column B = \\\\\\CC\\\\\\ Then Sheet 2 B7 = SumTotal. As a regular formula would be nice or VB code Hi Richard you want nothing at all in the whole of column A in sheet 1? do you want every cell in column B of sheet 1 to have \\\\\\CC\\\\\\ or should this (can this) only appear in one cell? and what range are you summing on sheet 2 in cell B7? Cheers JulieD "Richard" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82ce01c477e1$77f0e740$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone please ...

Appending or Up-dating a formula
I am using an =Ave function in a formula to average quite a few cell values together. I add new information all the time; sometimes 5 or 6 new cells at a time. How can I append or up-date my formula to include these new cells with out have to type the new cells into the formula? When I make the cell that has the formula in it active/edit, all of the cells that are referenced in the formula have a highlight around them. Is there a key or key combination I can press while clicking on the cells I want to add to the formula? Thanks, john Hi see your post in Excel.misc -- Regards Frank ...

Changing a range of an array in a SUMPRODUCT formula gives a #N/A error
I have a working SUMPRODUCT formula {=SUMPRODUCT(($C$4:$C$4341=z8)*(audittypefm1="Standard"))} that I need to change the 1st array to C5623. When I do I get a #N/A error. I've tried giving the range a name (empnofm2), and I've verified all the data in the C4:C5623 range is formated the same (general, it is all employee numbers from 2 to 5 digits long. I'm using a "trim all" macro which is working great. I am unable to determine what is causing the #N/A and how to fix it. Basically I copied an entire worksheet within the same workbook and changed the name, wh...

Removing a date by inputting a newer one in another cell
I have office excel 2007. I am a fairly new user, I have a worksheet which maintains and monitors the movement of various units, and is controlled by quantity and dates. What I would like to do is write a formula that will remove the ordered date when I input the new start date, which would be the newer date. So far I have not been able to make this work. I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Many Thanks Mike You could use a worksheet_change event that clearscontents of the original cell. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com ...

help with a formula #5
I have 98 sets of magazines each set has 12 in the set what formula can I use to get a total of issues in all sets have you tried 98*12 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Just Me" <no@isp.com> wrote in message news:eZ66ZEGHGHA.1192@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... >I have 98 sets of magazines each set has 12 in the set > > what formula can I use to get a total of issues in all sets > =98*12 or =A1*A2 if the numbers are in A1 and A2 -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "Just Me" <n...

Formula #29
Hi, What formula should I use if I want it to look at a specific cell and then work out the total number between two numbers. e.g. if cell H6 had 7-4 entered the number 9 would be returned. Thanks in advance I'm not sure how you got 9, but your life would be much easier if you used two separate cells and then subtracted the smaller from the larger (and then added one???). Boenerge wrote: > > Hi, > What formula should I use if I want it to look at a specific cell and then > work out the total number between two numbers. > e.g. if cell H6 had 7-4 entered the number 9 woul...

Can offset be used in this formula?
Can the offset be used in the below formula for the information in column "K"? In column L have the the following formula's L46 =MAX($I46*1000-$K$46*$J46,0) L47 =MAX($I47*1000-$K$46*$J47,0) .... L99 =MAX($I99*1000-$K$46*$J99,0) What I'd like to do is to copy the fomula into columns M, N, O, ... M47 =MAX($I47*1000-$K$47*$J47,0) M48 =MAX($I48*1000-$K$47*$J48,0) M49 =MAX($I49*1000-$K$47*$J49,0) .... N48 =MAX($I48*1000-$K$48*$J48,0) N49 =MAX($I49*1000-$K$48*$J49,0) .... O50 =MAX($I50*1000-$K$50*$J50,0) O51 =MAX($I51*1000-$K$50*$J51,0) .... How abou...

Money Plus Delux and RC3 update
Yes, I know it was on this forum but I am still as stuped as former polish prime minister. Money wants to update, I allow and it can not dowload. I did everythig to find a solution: 1. removed and installed Money several times, 2. turn off NOD32 and Defender, 3. Turn on DEP for essential programs and services Windows, 4. Turn on DEP for all programs exept: insights, Microsoft Money, Microsoft Money Background Banking, Microsoft Money Update Utility, mnyupdate!@#@.exe, Money Activation Utylity, msmoney.exe 5. SSL2 is enabled, TSL 1is disabled. NO RESULTS. My system is Vista Ultimate, 2GB R...

Formula to return tomorrow's date.
I have a report that must be turned in the night before for tomorrow's date. Is ithere a date formula that will return tomorrow's date to a cell in Excel? One way: =TODAY() + 1 In article <668782AC-774A-475F-9821-8A4C3B14A983@microsoft.com>, "Shadyhosta" <Shadyhosta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a report that must be turned in the night before for tomorrow's date. > Is ithere a date formula that will return tomorrow's date to a cell in Excel? I assume that you want the date to remain static after entry. Easiest way, use 2...

Weekday formula
Can anyone help with the weekday formula. What I want to do is enter the date in say A1 11/20/2003 and have B return the answer of Thursday. Currently I use the weekday formula bu only returns the number of the day. Thanks in advance B ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com There are several ways to do this. One is to enter =A1 and format the cell with a custom number format of dddd. Another way is to use the function =TEXT(A1,"dddd"). -- Cordiall...

2008 update
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have just installed the update. It asks for my product key which I type in but nothing happens. If I type in a different key it says wrong key but when I type in the correct key it just sits that. Continue lights up, I click it and nothing happens!!!! I'm away doing my doctoral work, now what do I do drewdinardo@officeformac.com wrote: > I have just installed the update. It asks for my product key which I > type in but nothing happens. If I type in a different key it says > wrong key but when I type in t...

Formula to return a formula
At least I think that's what I'm looking for. here's my situation: I've got a sheet where there is a variable (X) that changes depending on what row it is on. So I have a column (column c) that lists these variables (X is dependant on things from a different sheet). X is a muliplier that is utilized differently depending on the value of N. N is a Picklist selection and can change periodically. Or even be duplicated on more than one row. I have a vlookup that checks the value of N (column a) and needs to return a formula that has X applied if needed on the approp...

Capturing Date
I have tried writing a macro that would let me capture the date from my computer and place it in cell D2. The captured day will be moved intact at the end of the day Is there a command that will let me do that? Thanks for the help in advance. -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/excel-new/200609/1 Hi, Why do you need a macro for this if Excel has a formula like this? In Cell D2, put: =TODAY() "Larry Fish via OfficeKB.com" wrote: > I have tried writing a macro that would let me capture the date from my > computer and place it in...

Count formula within a named range.
Hi, How do I change the following formula =SUMIF($F$39:$F$79,"PW Shopfitters",$D$39:$D$79)/COUNTIF($F$39:$F$79,"PW Shopfitters") to count within a named range (PW Shopfitters). Any help would be great. Cheers, Phil Hi A range name cannot have spaces, maybe that's your problem. Name your range PW_Shopfitters. Then replace your cell references with PW_Shopfitters, eg =Sumif(PW_Shopfitters,"PW Shopfitters",............ -- j.kasselman@atlantic.net.remove_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa "PW11111" wrote: > > Hi, > &g...

How to use a text formula as code formula
Hello. I have this formula loaded from a text field on a form: val([field10])+val([field20]) and I would like to use this as a code formula. I mean, if I use that in VBA code it works, but If I load from a text field it doesn't work. I need that my form use that formula stored in a text field to calculate values. Regards in advance, Marco responded to in another newsgroup. It's rarely necessary to post the same question to more than one group. If it is necessary, select all the relevant newsgroups in the "To:" or "Newsgroups:" field. That way, folks who...

Including a formula in a path name.
Dear MS, How about a new function for this one. I'm sure MANY users have the same problem as me. The research below seems quite comprehensive and has effectively come up against a brick wall. Thanks Peter Harlan Grove posted this UDF: http://www.google.com/groups?selm=hkQVb.2432%24_4.259%40www.newsranger.com Peter wrote: > > Very Helpful Papou - thank you! > Do you know of an additional / alternative method where you achieve the same tihing but are not required to have all the relevant work sheets open? > Many thanks > Peter > > "papou" wrote: > ...

FORMULA #14
What formula in access can do =COUNTIF(CAF!D:D,A3) Basicly I have 2 tables I want the 2nd table to count how many times a number is listed in the 1st table. I am trying to do this with a query and the count expression but keep getting errors. Dont bother with this one guys just figured it out AMDGUY [MCP] wrote: > What formula in access can do > =COUNTIF(CAF!D:D,A3) > > Basicly I have 2 tables > > I want the 2nd table to count how many times a number is listed in the > 1st table. I am trying to do this with a query and the count expression > but keep getting e...

Update not complete
I have been using MS Money for years (12?) with online updates for my brokerage accounts with little of no problems. I upgrade my software each year at tax time (rebatesīŠ) and am currently running MS Money Plus Deluxe. About 3 months ago I started having update problems with my brokerage account. When I update the accounts first thing in the morning I get the following error: Update Not Complete. Your Last Call Encountered an Error. Microsoft Money Could Not Update Your Account. Please Try To Update Your Account Again. If the Problem Persists Contact Customer Support. General ...

What does the $ symbol mean in a formula?
What does the $ symbol mean in a formula? example: =G8*($A$14*2)*100 thanx The $ is used for absolut referencing. For e.g lets take your formula =G8*($A$14*2)*100 suppose you enter this formula in cell B2, now simply copy this formula one cell to the right (C2) by and one cell down (B3). C2: =H8*($A$14*2)*100 B3: =G9*($A$14*2)*100 So you see that The original G8 has changed, whereas $A$1 remains the same in both the new formulae because of the dollar signs. Mangesh "S" <S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D86597A4-C0A1-46AF-9DA6-FE06AB9C1FA0@mi...

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Dates on tracked payments
I just upgraded to 2003 from 2000. I transfered all my setting over and have been having trouble entering common transactions like my upcoming bills and paychecks. When I select a common transaction from my checking account Bills list Money lists the upcoming date correctly. When I click on this transaction to enter it the date is from a month ago. Is there a cache file or something that I need to deltete to make Money update these transaction dates? ...

Formula Problem #12
I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products. My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%. I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising dollars, etc. Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that would do this, but I'm stumped. I could use a hint... Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2 percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1: =3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2 Format as currency and co...

Excel database update #3
Hi, Have an excel template that should send data into a excel database. When I run a marco, the database does not automatically update, but if i do it step by step it updates. ("MatTer1.xls") when saved should update the database, by creating a new record in the code hereunder ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized Windows("CHAVES.xls").Activate ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized Selection.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(2, 0).Range("A1").Select ActiveSheet.Paste Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized ...

Lock in formulas
I have a worksheet that I use over-and-over again. It has several columns of data, and some of the columns have long and hard to remember formulas to total the columns. I usually delete the numbers in the columns after I print out the worksheet, leaving the formulas intact at the bottom of the columns. Being human, I occasionally goof and delete the sum formulas too. Is there a way that I can lock the formula cell at the bottom of the column so that I don't accidentally delete it? Thanks in advance, Malcolm A two step process a) select the cell that you DO want the user ...

Opera is Audo Updateing on Win98 how to fix the error!
Opera is Audo Updateing on Win98 how to fix the error! Opera Error Failed to load the Unicode compatibility layer oUnifinsi.dll because. The specified procedure could not be found. The Fix is Right Hand Click on your Opera Icon on Desk Top Click properties Click Find Target In the Opera Folder Click on Opera.exe Then it will do it's update to 10.52 ok it up and running on windows 98 ...