Formula needed for Sum(A1:C1) then Sum(D1:F1) in next cell

I am converting a monthly revenue table to a quarterly revenue table. I would
like to add A1:C1 and put it the result in a new cell and then autofill the
cell to the right of it so that it automatically adds D1:F1 for the next value
      A    B     C         D    E     F
 1   Jan Feb March April May June
 2   10   12     12     13   14    15

Qtr1                      Qtr 2                 Qtr 3
sum A2:C2            Sum D2:F2         Etc... using autofill
currently using autofill the first qtr is correct "=Sum(A2:C2) but the next
cell gets filled with "=sum(B2:D2) instead of adding the next 3 months.

I appreciate anyone's help!
0
Steve3367 (861)

One way:

Assume the first formula is entered in A4:

=SUM(OFFSET($A1,,(COLUMNS($A4:A4)-1)*3,,3))

However, if this is for just a single year which only has 4 quarters, what's
wrong with using 4 simple sum formulas:

=SUM(A1:C1)
=SUM(D1:F1)
=SUM(G1:I1)
=SUM(J1:L1)

Using those 4 formulas is better than using the formula I suggested.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

>I am converting a monthly revenue table to a quarterly revenue table. I
>would
> like to add A1:C1 and put it the result in a new cell and then autofill
> the
> cell to the right of it so that it automatically adds D1:F1 for the next
> value
>      A    B     C         D    E     F
> 1   Jan Feb March April May June
> 2   10   12     12     13   14    15
>
> Qtr1                      Qtr 2                 Qtr 3
> sum A2:C2            Sum D2:F2         Etc... using autofill
> currently using autofill the first qtr is correct "=Sum(A2:C2) but the
> next
> cell gets filled with "=sum(B2:D2) instead of adding the next 3 months.
>
> I appreciate anyone's help!

0
biffinpitt (3171)
9/12/2008 5:46:03 PM
Put first formula =SUM(A2:C2) in whatever cell you wanted, lets assume A5.
Put next formula =SUM(D2:F2) in cell 3 cells to the right, eg D5.  Now
select A5:F5.  Now grab the fill handle and fill right as far as necessary
(lets assume IV5).
When done simply select A5:IV5, do Edit / Go To / Special / Blank cells,
then do edit / delete / shift cells to left.

Job done

Regards
                  Ken.........................

>I am converting a monthly revenue table to a quarterly revenue table. I
>would
> like to add A1:C1 and put it the result in a new cell and then autofill
> the
> cell to the right of it so that it automatically adds D1:F1 for the next
> value
>      A    B     C         D    E     F
> 1   Jan Feb March April May June
> 2   10   12     12     13   14    15
>
> Qtr1                      Qtr 2                 Qtr 3
> sum A2:C2            Sum D2:F2         Etc... using autofill
> currently using autofill the first qtr is correct "=Sum(A2:C2) but the
> next
> cell gets filled with "=sum(B2:D2) instead of adding the next 3 months.
>
> I appreciate anyone's help!

0
ken.wright (2489)
9/12/2008 8:00:25 PM
Hi T. Valko,

The formula worked so thank you! :)

I now understand this sum offset function with the exception of this column
statement:
(COLUMNS($A4:A4)-1)*3
Can you explain how this works?
Specific questions about how this works:
What is the purpose for the column array getting wider as I autofill the
cells to the right with this formula? (Next cell has $A4:B4 then the next
cell has $A4:C4, etc...)
What is the purpose of "-1" in this expression
What is the purpose of "*3" in this expression
I know that overall this is expression identifies the 3 columns where the
values are to be summed,  but I don't understand the logic.

In order for me to correctly write and use this formula in the future, I
need to be able to understand this column expression.

PS I used one year as an example but I have a lot more years per request and
then I have often have to do a CY quarterly version and a FY quarterly
version of the monthly tables, so I thought there had to be an easier way
worth learning. :)

"T. Valko" wrote:

> One way:
>
> Assume the first formula is entered in A4:
>
> =SUM(OFFSET($A1,,(COLUMNS($A4:A4)-1)*3,,3))
>
> However, if this is for just a single year which only has 4 quarters, what's
> wrong with using 4 simple sum formulas:
>
> =SUM(A1:C1)
> =SUM(D1:F1)
> =SUM(G1:I1)
> =SUM(J1:L1)
>
> Using those 4 formulas is better than using the formula I suggested.
>

> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am converting a monthly revenue table to a quarterly revenue table. I
> >would
> > like to add A1:C1 and put it the result in a new cell and then autofill
> > the
> > cell to the right of it so that it automatically adds D1:F1 for the next
> > value
> >      A    B     C         D    E     F
> > 1   Jan Feb March April May June
> > 2   10   12     12     13   14    15
> >
> > Qtr1                      Qtr 2                 Qtr 3
> > sum A2:C2            Sum D2:F2         Etc... using autofill
> > currently using autofill the first qtr is correct "=Sum(A2:C2) but the
> > next
> > cell gets filled with "=sum(B2:D2) instead of adding the next 3 months.
> >
> > I appreciate anyone's help!

0
Steve3367 (861)
9/13/2008 10:46:00 AM
Hi Ken,

This suggestion also worked. The use of the "edit command" for deleting
blank cells is something I have needed for many other situations so thank you.

Steve

"Ken Wright" wrote:

> Put first formula =SUM(A2:C2) in whatever cell you wanted, lets assume A5.
> Put next formula =SUM(D2:F2) in cell 3 cells to the right, eg D5.  Now
> select A5:F5.  Now grab the fill handle and fill right as far as necessary
> (lets assume IV5).
> When done simply select A5:IV5, do Edit / Go To / Special / Blank cells,
> then do edit / delete / shift cells to left.
>
> Job done
>
> Regards
>                   Ken.........................
>

> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am converting a monthly revenue table to a quarterly revenue table. I
> >would
> > like to add A1:C1 and put it the result in a new cell and then autofill
> > the
> > cell to the right of it so that it automatically adds D1:F1 for the next
> > value
> >      A    B     C         D    E     F
> > 1   Jan Feb March April May June
> > 2   10   12     12     13   14    15
> >
> > Qtr1                      Qtr 2                 Qtr 3
> > sum A2:C2            Sum D2:F2         Etc... using autofill
> > currently using autofill the first qtr is correct "=Sum(A2:C2) but the
> > next
> > cell gets filled with "=sum(B2:D2) instead of adding the next 3 months.
> >
> > I appreciate anyone's help!

0
Steve3367 (861)
9/13/2008 10:58:01 AM
Here's how this works...

=SUM(OFFSET($A1,,(COLUMNS($A4:A4)-1)*3,,3))

You want to sum groups of 3 cells starting from cell A1.

We use the OFFSET function to pass the range of these 3 cells to the SUM
function.

These are the arguments that OFFSET takes:

OFFSET(reference,rows,cols,height,width)

$A1 is the reference or "anchor" cell. That's where we're starting from.

Since the data we're interested in is all on the same row we don't need to
offset A1 by any rows so that argument is empty and defaults to 0. That
means offset A1 by 0 rows.

We're interested in cells in groups of 3 so we need to offset A1 by 3
columns with each cell that we copy the formula to. That's what the cols
argument (COLUMNS($A4:A4)-1)*3 is doing.

The groups of cells we're interested in are A1:C1, D1:F1, G1:I1, J1:L1, etc.

So, we use (COLUMNS($A4:A4)-1)*3 to increment the column offset by 3 for
each cell that the formula is copied to.

With the formula entered in the first cell of A4, COLUMNS($A4:A4) evaluates
to 1. The columns function simply counts the number of columns referenced in
its argument. As we copy the formula across the range reference will
incremnt like this:

COLUMNS($A4:A4) = 1
COLUMNS($A4:B4) = 2
COLUMNS($A4:C4) = 3
COLUMNS($A4:D4) = 4

We use the multiplier of 3 to increment the offset by groups of 3.

So COLUMNS($A4:A4)*3 = 3 which means offset A1 by 3 columns and that would
put us at cell D1. However, we want to start at cell A1 not cell D1 so we
use -1 to adjust for this. Like this:

(COLUMNS($A4:A4)-1) = 0 * 3 = 0
(COLUMNS($A4:B4)-1) = 1 * 3 = 3
(COLUMNS($A4:C4)-1) = 2 * 3 = 6
(COLUMNS($A4:D4)-1) = 3 * 3 = 9

So, this means offset A1 by 0 columns, 3 columns, 6 columns, 9 columns, etc.

Now, we need to tell OFFSET how high and wide the range we're interested in
is. Since the data is on the same row we leave the height argument empty and
this defaults to 1. We want to sum every 3 cells so the width argument is 3.

So, in plain English:

A4 = offset A1 by 0 columns and sum A1:C1
B4 = offset A1 by 3 columns and sum D1:F1
C4 = offset A1 by 6 columns and sum G1:I1
D4 = offset A1 by 9 columns and sum J1:L1

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

> Hi T. Valko,
>
> The formula worked so thank you! :)
>
> I now understand this sum offset function with the exception of this
> column
> statement:
> (COLUMNS($A4:A4)-1)*3
> Can you explain how this works?
> Specific questions about how this works:
> What is the purpose for the column array getting wider as I autofill the
> cells to the right with this formula? (Next cell has $A4:B4 then the next
> cell has $A4:C4, etc...)
> What is the purpose of "-1" in this expression
> What is the purpose of "*3" in this expression
> I know that overall this is expression identifies the 3 columns where the
> values are to be summed,  but I don't understand the logic.
>
> In order for me to correctly write and use this formula in the future, I
> need to be able to understand this column expression.
>
> PS I used one year as an example but I have a lot more years per request
> and
> then I have often have to do a CY quarterly version and a FY quarterly
> version of the monthly tables, so I thought there had to be an easier way
> worth learning. :)
>
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> One way:
>>
>> Assume the first formula is entered in A4:
>>
>> =SUM(OFFSET($A1,,(COLUMNS($A4:A4)-1)*3,,3))
>>
>> However, if this is for just a single year which only has 4 quarters,
>> what's
>> wrong with using 4 simple sum formulas:
>>
>> =SUM(A1:C1)
>> =SUM(D1:F1)
>> =SUM(G1:I1)
>> =SUM(J1:L1)
>>
>> Using those 4 formulas is better than using the formula I suggested.
>>

>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am converting a monthly revenue table to a quarterly revenue table. I
>> >would
>> > like to add A1:C1 and put it the result in a new cell and then autofill
>> > the
>> > cell to the right of it so that it automatically adds D1:F1 for the
>> > next
>> > value
>> >      A    B     C         D    E     F
>> > 1   Jan Feb March April May June
>> > 2   10   12     12     13   14    15
>> >
>> > Qtr1                      Qtr 2                 Qtr 3
>> > sum A2:C2            Sum D2:F2         Etc... using autofill
>> > currently using autofill the first qtr is correct "=Sum(A2:C2) but the
>> > next
>> > cell gets filled with "=sum(B2:D2) instead of adding the next 3 months.
>> >
>> > I appreciate anyone's help!

0
biffinpitt (3171)
9/13/2008 5:03:24 PM
This was an absolutely perfect explanation of how it works. Thank you for
going "above and beyond" to explain the solution in a clear and concise
manner.

Steve

"T. Valko" wrote:

> [...]
> > need to be able to understand this column expression.
> >
> > PS I used one year as an example but I have a lot more years per request
> > and
> > then I have often have to do a CY quarterly version and a FY quarterly
> > version of the monthly tables, so I thought there had to be an easier way
> > worth learning. :)
> >
> > "T. Valko" wrote:
> >
> >> One way:
> >>
> >> Assume the first formula is entered in A4:
> >>
> >> =SUM(OFFSET($A1,,(COLUMNS($A4:A4)-1)*3,,3))
> >>
> >> However, if this is for just a single year which only has 4 quarters,
> >> what's
> >> wrong with using 4 simple sum formulas:
> >>
> >> =SUM(A1:C1)
> >> =SUM(D1:F1)
> >> =SUM(G1:I1)
> >> =SUM(J1:L1)
> >>
> >> Using those 4 formulas is better than using the formula I suggested.

0
Steve3367 (861)

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

> [...]
>> > the
>> > cells to the right with this formula? (Next cell has $A4:B4 then the
>> > next
>> > cell has $A4:C4, etc...)
>> > What is the purpose of "-1" in this expression
>> > What is the purpose of "*3" in this expression
>> > I know that overall this is expression identifies the 3 columns where
>> > the
>> > values are to be summed,  but I don't understand the logic.
>> >
>> > In order for me to correctly write and use this formula in the future,
>> > need to be able to understand this column expression.
>> >
>> > PS I used one year as an example but I have a lot more years per
>> > request
>> > and
>> > then I have often have to do a CY quarterly version and a FY quarterly
>> > version of the monthly tables, so I thought there had to be an easier

0
biffinpitt (3171)

Need advice moving data in mailboxes to another server
Hi, Due to corporate restructuring, we are setting up a new domain. In the process, we are upgrading our servers, etc. as well. Our task is to move user data i.e. saved mails, calendar items, etc. FROM a server running Exchange 2000 Standard in Domain A TO a server running Exchange 2003 Standard in Domain B. What is the best way to do this? -- Thanks, Sam Hi, Use exchange migration wizard or exmerge: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328871/en-us Leif "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A543306-4A7E-45FF-A997-48F27CF5CC39@microsoft.com... &g...

help with formula please #2

Need help using a VBAscript in excel
I need help :-( In this article there is a script to upload a file via FTP in VBA. http://www.naterice.com/articles/51 What I want to do is run this script with a pushbutton or when the file get's closed. I'm new to VBA, and the part where they tell me to supply the information is confusing. As I see it, I have to "open" the FTPupload and parse the information about the server when I call for the script? But how do I do this? I have tried in Excel to past the code in the VBA-editor, but how can I get a button to open this function with the information it needs? I'm ...

PivotTable Question - Repost
Hello. I'm using Excel 2000. I've created some pivot tables for reporting purposes. I intend to use them to replace old fashioned charts and tables that are manually keyed summary data. I need to keep the transition to the new spreadsheet as unobtrustive as possible for my less technical users, so that they have the same charts that they're used to. The problem with that is, I need to create seven charts. I want to use the same pivot table (which pulls data from Access) for each chart, but I want each chart to have different categories, page fields, series, etc. ...

help with a formula #5

Appending or Up-dating a formula

Invoice Customers On Account
When invoice customers on account a "Sales Receipt" is generated and sent to my epson receipt printer, however most of my corporate clients "account departments" do not accept a "Sales Receipt". My question is: 1) How do I printer a receipt to say "Invoice" not "Sales Receipt"? 2) How do I send this "Invoice" to my laser printer and not my Epson Receipt Printer? ~Johnny @ Mr. Inkjet Inc. You can download 'Invoice' receipt files here https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/downloads/reportslibrary/rms/ModifiedRe...

Formula #29

Trying to make part of an output in another cell italicized.
Hello all, I have Excel from Office XP and am using it on Windows XP Home Edition I'm working on a program where users enter text in various cells. Fo example: A B 1 Name: ------ 2 Date: ------ Then the text that they enter is displayed in another cell all togethe using the following formula: =$B$4&", "&$B$5&". "&"("&$B$6&"). "&$B$7&". "&$B$8&" "&$B$9&"("&$B$10&"), "&$B$11&"-"&$B$12&"." I'...

Can offset be used in this formula?

Partial Matching HELP NEEDED...SOS!!
I am struggling with this and wondering if you could help.. Worksheet 1 Column A & B Keyword Category telecom Telecom tele com #N/A Worksheet 2 Column A & B term category telecom Telecom telcom Telecom tele com Telecom What I want to do is pull the category name from worksheet 2 on to worksheet 1. =VLOOKUP("*"&A2&"*",Sheet1!B:B,1,0) Is not working...any ideas? "MikeMikeMike" <michael.lovelady@gmail.com> wrote in message news:8379f02e-a8e2-48ed-b8ee-1b768ffbddc3@k15g2000prk.googlegroups.com... >I am struggling with this and wondering...

how can i make paragraphs in side one cell in Excell?
Hi press ALT & ENTER when you want a new line Cheers JulieD "ashraf" <ashraf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E508A2C8-CC79-4107-93EE-5D607A53E8BA@microsoft.com... > or, format cell / alignment / wrap text ...

Between times
I did this once but fogot how. I have an order table with an order entry time. I have several months worth of data. I built another table that has time intervals. Example Interval Stime ETime 8-9am 8:00:00am 8:59:59am I cannot remember how to set up a query with both tables so I can do a count on the orders entered between time intervals, i.e. 200 between 8 and 9am. Can someone help? Sean Try this (not tested after editing table and field names) --- SELECT [Time interval].[Interval], Count([order table].[order entry time]) AS CountOfTime FROM [or...

error message with sum
(New user) In my spreadsheet, I have four columns, each with a 0 or a 1 in each cell. The last cell in each column is "total" with formula =SUM(A3:A68), with appropriate column letters for each particula one. The columns get totalled correctly, but each of the "total" cells has a green triangle. The error message is: "the formula in this cell refers to a range that has additional numbers adjacent to it." I'm not sure what this means. I can't seem to get anything from the help screens. If by "adjacent" Excel means the columns next to each other,...

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Weekday formula

Formula to return a formula

Link cell
When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data You can check first: =if(b99="","",b99) or =if(sheet1!a1="","",sheet1!a1) neilbrown1965 wrote: > > When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, > how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data -- Dave Peterson ...

Count formula within a named range.

Including a formula in a path name.

FORMULA #14

I need help with multiple Fidelity accounts and Money 2006
Here is my situation: I have the following accounts at Fidelity: Under my login ID: Financial Institution is named "Fidelity Investments" for these accounts My Rollover IRA My Roth IRA Joint brokerage account Under my wife's login ID: Financial Institution is named "Fidelity Investments # 2" for these accounts Wife's Rollover IRA Wife's Roth IRA Joint brokerage account The Joint Brokerage account is the same, and shows up at the Fidelity web site when either of us logs into Fidelity. This setup is giving m...