Formula for difference between numbers without + or-

I'm fairly new to Excel. I want to create a formula to show the difference
between 2 numbers, in different columns, but without positive or negative
values.
eg. the difference between 1 and 7 is 6. The difference between 7 and 1 is 6.

I do NOT want to see the result as  -6 and 6.

Imagine the cells are A3 and B3, for these numbers.

How do I do this please?

=ABS(A1-B1)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"ParvenuJohn" <ParvenuJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A117DC6-AF31-4288-BC74-C18734D0C4AE@microsoft.com...
| I'm fairly new to Excel. I want to create a formula to show the difference
| between 2 numbers, in different columns, but without positive or negative
| values.
| eg. the difference between 1 and 7 is 6. The difference between 7 and 1 is 6.
|
| I do NOT want to see the result as  -6 and 6.
|
| Imagine the cells are A3 and B3, for these numbers.
|
| How do I do this please?

0
nicolaus (2022)
10/23/2007 11:13:51 AM
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 03:56:00 -0700, ParvenuJohn
<ParvenuJohn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm fairly new to Excel. I want to create a formula to show the difference
>between 2 numbers, in different columns, but without positive or negative
>values.
>eg. the difference between 1 and 7 is 6. The difference between 7 and 1 is 6.
>
>I do NOT want to see the result as  -6 and 6.
>
>Imagine the cells are A3 and B3, for these numbers.
>
>How do I do this please?

=abs(a1-a2)
--ron
0
ronrosenfeld (3122)
10/23/2007 11:19:23 AM
=ABS(A3-B3)

Regards,
Soundar.

"ParvenuJohn" wrote:

> I'm fairly new to Excel. I want to create a formula to show the difference
> between 2 numbers, in different columns, but without positive or negative
> values.
> eg. the difference between 1 and 7 is 6. The difference between 7 and 1 is 6.
>
> I do NOT want to see the result as  -6 and 6.
>
> Imagine the cells are A3 and B3, for these numbers.
>
> How do I do this please?

0
Soundar (5)
10/23/2007 12:28:00 PM
Thanks everyone - I think I now have the basic formula, which is "ABS" I will
try it.

Thanks again

ParvenuJohn

"Soundar" wrote:

> =ABS(A3-B3)
>
> Regards,
> Soundar.
>
> "ParvenuJohn" wrote:
>
> > I'm fairly new to Excel. I want to create a formula to show the difference
> > between 2 numbers, in different columns, but without positive or negative
> > values.
> > eg. the difference between 1 and 7 is 6. The difference between 7 and 1 is 6.
> >
> > I do NOT want to see the result as  -6 and 6.
> >
> > Imagine the cells are A3 and B3, for these numbers.
> >
> > How do I do this please?

help with formula please #2

Appending or Up-dating a formula

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Can offset be used in this formula?

Can I Increase The Length Of The Serial Number?
Is it possible to increase the length of the serial number field? We use some very long serials and the software will not accept the whole of the serial number. Thanks. You can try testing on a demo database but I am pretty sure that RMS will not like your changes. I know from experience that if you did the same thing with the ILC or Description fields this will cause RMS to crash. Rob "El Preisdente" wrote: > Is it possible to increase the length of the serial number field? > > We use some very long serials and the software will not accept the whole of > the s...

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Q/VB.NET: Append data to XML file without loading complete file?
Can someone give me an example how to append data without having to load the complete XML file. Is this possible? Jonathan "Jonathan Buckland" <jonathan@theinformationpeople.com> wrote in message news:94e0c304.0402200504.39458a35@posting.google.com... > Can someone give me an example how to append data without having to > load the complete XML file. The ability to append data to an XML file without processing the entire document greatly depends on the structure of the XML, and the place in the file where you want to append. As a simple example to get started with, co...

calculate per day usage with a number range
I have the check in date and the check out date for a large group. I would like to see how many rooms are used per day for the period. Column A = Check in date (ex: 2-feb) Column B = Check out date (ex: 10-feb) How can I tell how many rooms were used on 6-feb, how many on 7-feb, etc? Thanks so much for your help! Put the date of interest (e.g. 6-feb-2008) in D2 then in E2 use this formula =SUMPRODUCT((A$2:A$100<=D2)*(B$2:B$100>=D2)) You can copy the formula down to calculate for more date in column D "peabody" wrote: > I have the check in date and the check out dat...

To find out number of sundays and saturdays in january month
Hai all, How I can find out the number of saturdays and sundays in January For example in A1 and B1 cell represents Saturdays and Sundays. How I can find out the number of saturdays and sundays in that month and to write in corresponsing A2 and B2 column . Please help with thanks and regards Pol =SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(DATE(2008,1,1)&":"&DATE(2008,1,31))),1)=1)) Would tell you the number of Sundays in January of 2008. =SUMPRODUCT(--(WEEKDAY(ROW(INDIRECT(DATE(2008,1,1)&":"&DATE(2008,1,31))),1)=7)) Would tell you the number of Saturd...

Weekday formula

Count formula within a named range.

add field to form from different table
I have a form - record source is t0103Issue.(see below for fields) I would like to add a text box with a field (LevelorAdj) from a different table(see below for LevelorAdj) Textbox is named LJ table t013IssueDesc (add LevelorAdj to form) IssueDescID IssueDesc LevelorAdj table t0103Issue (for form) IssueID RiskID IssueDescID How is this done? -- deb Deb, in the form's current event, add: LJ=dlookup("LevelorAdj","t013IssueDesc","IssueDescID = " & [IssueDescID]) UpRider "deb" <deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A710...

Formula to return a formula

Random number generator expression used
My final year (Statistics degree) project is concerned with the PRNG in MS Excel. It was stated by the lecturer in Simulation Studies that this PRNG was no good for simulation purposes .. the cycle length is not long enough. So that I can test this statement I need to be able to run the in-built PRNG so that it repeats the sequence of generated random numbers. This cannot be done in situ as there are not enough cells available (max 16k ?). I would propose to run the PRNG as a VBA macro - or stand_alone in VB6 - but for that I need to obtain the mathematical expression that is used ...

Heading numbers in the left margin
Hi, I'm trying to create outline numbered headings, where the number is located in the left margin. I try to accomplish this using a negative value for "NumberPosition" on the ListTemplate. Initially, this works fine, but as soon as I click on the Heading's number, the whole paragraph, including the number, "jumps in" to the right so that the number is located exactly at the margin instead of to the left of it. I define my styles and ListTemplate in VBA, the relevant portion of which reads: With .ListTemplate.ListLevels(1) .NumberPo...

Including a formula in a path name.

requested files to be deleted do so without asking "are you sure..
When I request to delete a file in windows explorer or IE or Word or anywhere it deletes it without asking "are you sure". It has asked if I am sure for years until I reinstalling operating system. Now this function does not work. How do I activate this function? Using Windows XP. As always thank YOU. -- Gene On 2/14/2010 4:54 PM, Gene wrote: > When I request to delete a file in windows explorer or IE or Word or anywhere > it deletes it without asking "are you sure". > > It has asked if I am sure for years until I reinstalling operating...

FORMULA #14

Difference in Help buttons?
I use OL 2003. On the standard toolbar (Inbox view), there is a question mark. When it is clicked, it brings up a side panel with a field for a question. There is also a field for questions at the top right of the screen. If I put my question in each of these fields, they bring up different lists. For instance, typing in the word "Toolbars" brought up 20 entries on one and 30 entries on the other. Yet, they both seem to be going to Microsoft Online for their answers. Why is there a difference? Which blank has proven most productive to folks in this group? Thank you. ...

Logging email to a different IS
Using Exhange 2003. I have setup three IS's for different employees groups based on their importance (to me). Whoever can fire me or make my life miserable is in an IS called Priority One. Whoever else does a substantial amount of real work is in Priority Two. Whoever just uses the company email to swap jokes with their freinds goes in Priority Three. This way if the server ever hoses or whatever I can quickly restore the people who are the most important (to me) first. I want to log all messages that come into the server so that we have records for audits and such, so I have turne...

Genrating text and auto number
How to generate auto number but i want it to be combination with text Example L0001, THEN L0002 and so on..how? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Emily, What does the 'L' stand for ? Will this field contain other series of numbers that start with some other letter but which must also start sequencing at 00001? By storing more than one piece of information in a single database field, you are violating the first normal form of database design. I would recommend you store the letter designator in a separate field. Assuming that you have other letters, that mu...