formula for cell

I have many cells with descriptive text, does anyone know of a formula
where I can take for instance a cell with 500 characters and take only
the first 30 and paste it in to a new cell.

I have used a formula thanks to Gary
=left(a1,len(a1)/2

which has worked for other uses I have--now I need to extract only the
first 30 characters of a description and I have thousands of cells in
my description column..Please Help

=left(a1,30)

--

Dave Peterson
0

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

<Pete.Cornejo@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have many cells with descriptive text, does anyone know of a formula
> where I can take for instance a cell with 500 characters and take only
> the first 30 and paste it in to a new cell.
>
> I have used a formula thanks to Gary
> =left(a1,len(a1)/2
>
> which has worked for other uses I have--now I need to extract only the
> first 30 characters of a description and I have thousands of cells in
> my description column..Please Help

0
Bill
8/7/2006 10:24:25 PM
Thank You Bill, thats great!
Bill Ridgeway wrote:
> The formula
>     =left(a1,30)
> will take the 30 left most characters from cell A1.
>
> Regards.
>
> Bill Ridgeway
> Computer Solutions
>
> <Pete.Cornejo@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I have many cells with descriptive text, does anyone know of a formula
> > where I can take for instance a cell with 500 characters and take only
> > the first 30 and paste it in to a new cell.
> >
> > I have used a formula thanks to Gary
> > =left(a1,len(a1)/2
> >
> > which has worked for other uses I have--now I need to extract only the
> > first 30 characters of a description and I have thousands of cells in
> > my description column..Please Help

Excel HELP would have worked
     LEFT Worksheet Function

try it now,  as things are usually easier to find when you know
the answer, and it would help you find answers the next time.

<Pete.Cornejo@gmail.com> wrote
> Thank You Bill, thats great!
> Bill Ridgeway wrote:
> > The formula
> >     =left(a1,30)
> > will take the 30 left most characters from cell A1.

help with formula please #2

Appending or Up-dating a formula

Removing a date by inputting a newer one in another cell
I have office excel 2007. I am a fairly new user, I have a worksheet which maintains and monitors the movement of various units, and is controlled by quantity and dates. What I would like to do is write a formula that will remove the ordered date when I input the new start date, which would be the newer date. So far I have not been able to make this work. I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me. Many Thanks Mike You could use a worksheet_change event that clearscontents of the original cell. -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com ...

help with a formula #5

Formula #29

Trying to make part of an output in another cell italicized.
Hello all, I have Excel from Office XP and am using it on Windows XP Home Edition I'm working on a program where users enter text in various cells. Fo example: A B 1 Name: ------ 2 Date: ------ Then the text that they enter is displayed in another cell all togethe using the following formula: =$B$4&", "&$B$5&". "&"("&$B$6&"). "&$B$7&". "&$B$8&" "&$B$9&"("&$B$10&"), "&$B$11&"-"&$B$12&"." I'...

Can offset be used in this formula?

Formula to return tomorrow's date.

Weekday formula

Count formula within a named range.

Link cell
When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data You can check first: =if(b99="","",b99) or =if(sheet1!a1="","",sheet1!a1) neilbrown1965 wrote: > > When using the above. When the source cell is empty the target cell has data, > how can I get rid, so the target cell is blank until source cell has data -- Dave Peterson ...

Formula to return a formula

Including a formula in a path name.

FORMULA #14

formula wording
i dont know if you can do this..... if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language thanks if anyone can hel -- cutsygur ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cutsygurl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27569 cutsygurl Wrote: > i dont know if you can do this..... > if(c5=10, take the cell 5 right 3 down to it, 0) > if you can, i dont know how to write it in excel language &...

Formula Problem #12
I have $700,000 to spend on advertising for three different products. My market share for the three products is 51.96%, 36.07% and 41.25%. I want to apportion my 700K between the three products so that the product with the lowest market share gets the most advertising dollars, etc. Using my data, I've been trying to devise a formula all night that would do this, but I'm stumped. I could use a hint... Here's one way of doing it - put 700,000 in A1 and put your 2 percentage shares in B1:B3 and then put this formula in C1: =3DA$1*(1-B1/SUM(B$1:B$3))/2 Format as currency and co...

How do I merge new text into existing text cells.
I need to add the same text (.JPG) to existing text. I have over 4000 existing cells to add this same file extension to. I can't seem to figure out how to do this without manually going into each cell. Any suggestions would be great. enter .jpg into cell B61 for example and assume that you have filenames 10001 and 10002 running down the column starting in A61, A62 etc. Then type in to cell C61 =+A61&$B$61 The just drag the cell down to copy against each one. -- filky ------------------------------------------------------------------------ filky's Profile: http://www.exc...

Blank cell return after each data entry
I have a data entry Sheet for loading details to Invoice (sheet 1) and this data entry sheet loads as soon as file opens. It open with the cells still with old datas in, is there a way of either the cells being empty when next data load or actually clearing after use / enter the buttoms (macro) - OK / Next ? Rdgs. Sudipta Maybe you should create a template from your data entry sheet! A new workbook opened from a template shall always have empty cells. -- Regards! Stefi „Sudipta Sen” ezt írta: > I have a data entry Sheet for loading details to Invoice ...

Lock in formulas
I have a worksheet that I use over-and-over again. It has several columns of data, and some of the columns have long and hard to remember formulas to total the columns. I usually delete the numbers in the columns after I print out the worksheet, leaving the formulas intact at the bottom of the columns. Being human, I occasionally goof and delete the sum formulas too. Is there a way that I can lock the formula cell at the bottom of the column so that I don't accidentally delete it? Thanks in advance, Malcolm A two step process a) select the cell that you DO want the user ...

How to translate a getpivotdata formula into a cell reference
Hi all, I want to be able to get the cell reference (in the format A1) of a GETPIVOTDATA reference. For example: =(GETPIVOTDATA("Sum of Qty",'$A$5,"Customer Name","ABC Company")) pulls data from a corresponding cell in the table. That reference is A10 but I want to get this from the actual GETPIVOTDATA reference itself. Is this possible? Regards Morgan ...

sum formula
good day! i copied a table from a html and paste to excel2000 i try to get the sum =SUM(B5:B10) but the outcome is 0.when i check the number on the cell,i found out that theres a space at the end. i try this formula {=SUM(VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10," ","")))} but the result was #VALUE!. Hi! > i copied a table from a html Chances are the "space" is really a char(160) &nbsp; space. Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(1*SUBSTITUTE(B5:B10,CHAR(160),"")) Your best course of action would be to get rid of those characters and then use a simple =SUM(B5:B10). ...

copying true formulas only
I want to create a new row and copy selectively from the one above. I want to copy formats and formulas but not values. I am using Excel 2002. I can use insert to create a new row with all the same formats (including conditional formatting). If I then use paste-->special-->formulas Excel pastes both formulas AND values of the cells which contain no formula. I want to avoid writing something which tests each cell to see if it contains a true formula. Any suggestions anyone? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and ...