Formatting cells #5

I'm using Excel 2002. I've created a spreadsheet of my weightlifting
workouts--dates, exercises, and in the cells, the number of sets I perform
with the number of repetitions. For instance, cells have numbers like 2-12,
2-9, 3-12, indicating two or three sets of 9 or 12 repetitions. The problem
is that I'm formatting the cells as general, but I'm still getting a green
triangle in the upper left cell corner, and when I hold the cursor over the
cell, the yellow exclamation point appears, asking me if I want to ignore
the formatting error. In some cells that I think I've already formatted, my
numbers turn to "###." I want to enter the numbers as plain text with no
other formatting. What am I doing wrong?

Also, what's the formatting difference between "general" and "text"
formatting?

Thanks.  --Arthur

0
nospam7515 (2086)

##### means your column isn't wide enough for the data.  ;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

"Nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Excel 2002. I've created a spreadsheet of my weightlifting
> workouts--dates, exercises, and in the cells, the number of sets I perform
> with the number of repetitions. For instance, cells have numbers like
> 2-12, 2-9, 3-12, indicating two or three sets of 9 or 12 repetitions. The
> problem is that I'm formatting the cells as general, but I'm still getting
> a green triangle in the upper left cell corner, and when I hold the cursor
> over the cell, the yellow exclamation point appears, asking me if I want
> to ignore the formatting error. In some cells that I think I've already
> formatted, my numbers turn to "###." I want to enter the numbers as plain
> text with no other formatting. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Also, what's the formatting difference between "general" and "text"
> formatting?
>
> Thanks.  --Arthur

0
jl_paules (2767)
10/23/2006 1:47:28 AM
Oh--he said sheepishly. What about the formatting? Thanks.  --Arthur

"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> ##### means your column isn't wide enough for the data.  ;-)
>
> --
>
> JoAnn Paules
> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>
> ~~~~~
> How to ask a question
> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>

> "Nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I'm using Excel 2002. I've created a spreadsheet of my weightlifting
>> workouts--dates, exercises, and in the cells, the number of sets I
>> perform with the number of repetitions. For instance, cells have numbers
>> like 2-12, 2-9, 3-12, indicating two or three sets of 9 or 12
>> repetitions. The problem is that I'm formatting the cells as general, but
>> I'm still getting a green triangle in the upper left cell corner, and
>> when I hold the cursor over the cell, the yellow exclamation point
>> appears, asking me if I want to ignore the formatting error. In some
>> cells that I think I've already formatted, my numbers turn to "###." I
>> want to enter the numbers as plain text with no other formatting. What am
>> I doing wrong?
>>
>> Also, what's the formatting difference between "general" and "text"
>> formatting?
>>
>> Thanks.  --Arthur

0
nospam7515 (2086)
10/23/2006 1:47:47 AM
Sorry - I know enough about Excel to be dangerous. Publisher is my forte.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~

> Oh--he said sheepishly. What about the formatting? Thanks.  --Arthur
>
> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>> ##### means your column isn't wide enough for the data.  ;-)
>>
>> --
>>
>> JoAnn Paules
>> MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>>
>> ~~~~~
>> How to ask a question
>> http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>>

>> "Nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm using Excel 2002. I've created a spreadsheet of my weightlifting
>>> workouts--dates, exercises, and in the cells, the number of sets I
>>> perform with the number of repetitions. For instance, cells have numbers
>>> like 2-12, 2-9, 3-12, indicating two or three sets of 9 or 12
>>> repetitions. The problem is that I'm formatting the cells as general,
>>> but I'm still getting a green triangle in the upper left cell corner,
>>> and when I hold the cursor over the cell, the yellow exclamation point
>>> appears, asking me if I want to ignore the formatting error. In some
>>> cells that I think I've already formatted, my numbers turn to "###." I
>>> want to enter the numbers as plain text with no other formatting. What
>>> am I doing wrong?
>>>
>>> Also, what's the formatting difference between "general" and "text"
>>> formatting?
>>>
>>> Thanks.  --Arthur

0
jl_paules (2767)
10/23/2006 1:53:27 AM
*PRE*-format the cells as text.
That means *before* you enter your numbers.

When XL looks at numeric and general formatted cells that contain numbers,
it's preparing for calculation, therefore the warnings that you're getting
saying that something is not right.
--
HTH,

RD

"Nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Oh--he said sheepishly. What about the formatting? Thanks.  --Arthur
>
> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> > ##### means your column isn't wide enough for the data.  ;-)
> >
> > --
> >
> > JoAnn Paules
> > MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
> >
> > ~~~~~
> > How to ask a question
> > http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
> >

> > "Nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm using Excel 2002. I've created a spreadsheet of my weightlifting
> >> workouts--dates, exercises, and in the cells, the number of sets I
> >> perform with the number of repetitions. For instance, cells have
numbers
> >> like 2-12, 2-9, 3-12, indicating two or three sets of 9 or 12
> >> repetitions. The problem is that I'm formatting the cells as general,
but
> >> I'm still getting a green triangle in the upper left cell corner, and
> >> when I hold the cursor over the cell, the yellow exclamation point
> >> appears, asking me if I want to ignore the formatting error. In some
> >> cells that I think I've already formatted, my numbers turn to "###." I
> >> want to enter the numbers as plain text with no other formatting. What
am
> >> I doing wrong?
> >>
> >> Also, what's the formatting difference between "general" and "text"
> >> formatting?
> >>
> >> Thanks.  --Arthur

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
10/23/2006 2:08:10 AM
So it's best to format the cells as text instead of general for my
purposes? --Arthur

"Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> *PRE*-format the cells as text.
> That means *before* you enter your numbers.
>
> When XL looks at numeric and general formatted cells that contain numbers,
> it's preparing for calculation, therefore the warnings that you're getting
> saying that something is not right.
> --
> HTH,
>
> RD

> "Nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Oh--he said sheepishly. What about the formatting? Thanks.  --Arthur
>>
>> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
>> > ##### means your column isn't wide enough for the data.  ;-)
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > JoAnn Paules
>> > MVP Microsoft [Publisher]
>> >
>> > ~~~~~
>> > How to ask a question
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375
>> >

>> > "Nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> numbers
> but
> am

0
nospam7515 (2086)
10/23/2006 2:24:24 AM
Format a couple of cells and try it ... you may like it!<g>
It's your opinion that counts, based on what you see.
--
Regards,

RD

> So it's best to format the cells as text instead of general for my
> purposes? --Arthur
>
> "Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message
> > *PRE*-format the cells as text.
> > That means *before* you enter your numbers.
> >
> > When XL looks at numeric and general formatted cells that contain
numbers,
> > it's preparing for calculation, therefore the warnings that you're
getting
> > saying that something is not right.
> > --
> > HTH,
> >
> > RD

-
> > Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit
!

-
> > "Nospam" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Oh--he said sheepishly. What about the formatting? Thanks.  --Arthur
> >>
> >> "JoAnn Paules [MVP]" <jl_paules@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message

> > numbers
> > but
What
> > am

0
ragdyer1 (4060)

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Please help
Problem: I can't get my Exchange 2000 migration wizard to communicate with an Exchange 5.5 server. Environment: On an "inherited" network, I have a newly built (by me) Win2K SP4 server running AD (only server in AD), and an old Exchange 5.5 server on a separate NT4 SP6a domain (PDC) - on the same subnet. I have removed TCPIP and have reinstalled SPs for Exch and NT4. I have 2-way trusts set up between the domains, and they can browse each other's files. DNS has been set up, and I have forward zones for both of the domains. There is no internal DNS on the NT4 domain....

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Change default email domain name in 5.5
The company I work for is changing its name and I have been tasked to change the Exchange 5.5 servers' default email domain name. We currently receive mail at three addresses, oldname.com, newname.com and mail.oldname.com. The server was originally built on oldname.com. As such, whenever email is sent from the server, the reply to address is oldname.com. How do I change this to newname.com? We only have around 40 or so recipients so manually changing the default smtp info is no big deal. Is there a MS tech bulletin on how to do this? Thanks for any and all help Dave In the propert...

Negative number formatting

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Conditional Formating Help

Custom patterns for cell shading
Hello, Is there a way to add 'custom patterns' to the cell shading option? I was hoping for a nice 'arrow pattern' for the conditional formatting. (I'm doing a presentation of traffic flow, and for flow north or south [ie if Northbound > Southbound, flow is northbound], I would like to graphically show the flow.) Any assistance or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently using windings arrows, but a form of pattern / conditional formatting would be awesome. Jools -- World of Warcraft *isn't* work? ...

named cells. need a 101
I've been building a 'what if' sheet that pulls in this and that from other sheets. All the sheets have named cells, as does the what if' sheet itself. I want to copy/replicate this sheet multiple times in the wb to allow for multiple and concurrent what if setups. I am worried about named resources (cells) and what's going to happen when I attempt this. I will experiment, but I'm worried about something getting picked up in the wrong place. Is there a good 101 out there that discusses the use of names and what to expect? Thank you. There was an earli...

Exchange 5.5
Hi We have an old NT box running exchange 5.5. I am trying to mov mailboxes to a new server running Windows 2000 with exchange 5.5. Bot servers are in the same site. I start the move as usual (hi-light mailbox, tools - move mailbox). enter the destination server (Windows 2000 server) and click ok. Th move mailbox progress box appears with the message "Opening th information store that belongs to username". The progress indicato moves from 0% to 1%m then stops. The mailbox I am moving is empty. have left the process to run for a couple of hours to no avail. When check ...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

When copying from "date" cell to "general" cell, how to keep date.
An Excel question for you: when I try to copy data from a "date" formatted cell over to a concatenate formula in a "general" formatted field, it transfers the data over as the boolean value. This is causing endless headaches because I am trying to upload the information into our financial software. Do you know a solution for this? I think you mean the date comes over as the serial value. If not, this may not be right. In the concatenate function, embed the Text function. ex: A1 has 5/16/2004, B1 has "TEST" in it. C1 formula would be =concatenate (TEX...

How to format the value in a cell?

Stop macro if cell selected
Hi, First time & new to excel macros. I have a macro which copies data & inserts it into a viewable summary sheet which can be printed. The range is 6 cells & if cell k7 is selected I want to stop the macro. I have attempted to use IF command with Then End but it ignores it. Here is my macro: ' refence point to start pasting sequence Sheets("Alfa data").Select Range("C225").Select Application.CutCopyMode = False Selection.Copy Sheets("Sheet4").Select Range("c7").Select Selection.End(xlToRight).Select Acti...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...

Sheets lose formats
I have a file that I created by upgrading from Excel 2003. In 2007 the file saves fine. I had a user complain he didn't have Excel 2007 so I saved as a ..xls file and now everytime I reopen the file all my formating on every sheet is gone. If I reapply the formatting and then save as a .xlsm file, all the formatting stays in the file. Ideas? ...