finding 1 formula result in a group of cells

 I have ten cells in a row that have a formula in each. Only one of the cells
will display a result at any one time but it changes depending on the date. I
need a formula that will find the cell displaying the result and display it
in a single cell in another worksheet
0
Richdg (4)

Assume the 10 cells are in A1:J1 in Sheet1
In another sheet,
you could use this, normal ENTER:
=INDEX(Sheet1!A1:J1,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(TRIM(Sheet1!A1:J1)<>"",),0))

Success? Savour it, click the YES button below
--
Max
Singapore
"Richdg" wrote:
>  I have ten cells in a row that have a formula in each. Only one of the cells
> will display a result at any one time but it changes depending on the date. I
> need a formula that will find the cell displaying the result and display it
> in a single cell in another worksheet
0
demechanik (4694)
6/1/2009 12:15:01 AM
If the other cells results are blank, you might try
=Max(YourTenCellsAddressRange)

--
Steve

"Richdg" <Richdg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have ten cells in a row that have a formula in each. Only one of the
> cells
> will display a result at any one time but it changes depending on the
> date. I
> need a formula that will find the cell displaying the result and display
> it
> in a single cell in another worksheet

0
AltaEgo
6/1/2009 12:15:08 AM
The earlier expression is generic. It will work regardless whether the result
to be returned from that group of ten cells is numeric or text.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
Downloads:25,000 Files:300 Subscribers:70
xdemechanik
---
0
demechanik (4694)
6/1/2009 12:34:01 AM
Provided the number is positive.
Otherwise

=Sum(YourTenCellsAddressRange)

--
Steve

"AltaEgo" <Somewhere@NotHere> wrote in message
> If the other cells results are blank, you might try
> =Max(YourTenCellsAddressRange)
>
> --
> Steve
>
> "Richdg" <Richdg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have ten cells in a row that have a formula in each. Only one of the
>> cells
>> will display a result at any one time but it changes depending on the
>> date. I
>> need a formula that will find the cell displaying the result and display
>> it
>> in a single cell in another worksheet

0
AltaEgo
6/1/2009 12:39:36 AM
that work perfectly max ill be able to sleep at night now thanks heaps.

Thanks for your input steve

"Max" wrote:

> Assume the 10 cells are in A1:J1 in Sheet1
> In another sheet,
> you could use this, normal ENTER:
> =INDEX(Sheet1!A1:J1,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(TRIM(Sheet1!A1:J1)<>"",),0))
>
> Success? Savour it, click the YES button below
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> Downloads:25,000 Files:300 Subscribers:70
> xdemechanik
> ---
> "Richdg" wrote:
> >  I have ten cells in a row that have a formula in each. Only one of the cells
> > will display a result at any one time but it changes depending on the date. I
> > need a formula that will find the cell displaying the result and display it
> > in a single cell in another worksheet
0
Richdg (4)
6/1/2009 2:36:01 AM
Welcome
--
> that work perfectly max ill be able to sleep at night now thanks heaps.

0
demechanik (4694)

Find Duplicate names and delate

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

how do I delete numbers without deleting formulas
In excel 2003 how do I delete a column of numbers without deleting the formulas in the column? F5>Special>Constants. Use the option buttons to select what you wish to highlight for deleting>Ok Edit>Clear Contents. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:13:02 -0700, "Emmaus junkie" <Emmaus junkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In excel 2003 how do I delete a column of numbers without deleting the >formulas in the column? ...

vlookup on cell below
Is it possible to do a VLOOKUP but instead of returning the value in row that contains the lookup, it returns the value in the row below? eg a b 1 no x 2 yes y 3 ok z =VLOOKUP("yes",A1:B3,2,FALSE) would return "z" instead of "y". Th only way I can think of is to add a row header at the top and use the MATCH function in column A to find the row position of "yes", then use that in an HLOOKUP in column B. I was hoping there was a simpler way. Not VLOOKUP, but INDEX & MATCH =INDEX(B1:B3,MATCH("yes",A1:A3,0)) -...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Finding an event

Formula
Hi all, I am preparing an exam marksheet. In one cell, I add in this formula to check if a student pass or fail the whole exam. Condition ... the students must not get any "E" to pass the whole exam. =IF(OR(E7="E",G7="E",I7="E",K7="E",M7="E",O7="E",Q7="E",S7="E",U7="E",W7="E" ,Y7 ="E",AA7="E",AC7="E",AE7="E"),"Fail","Pass")) Now I want to change to another condition. The students must not get any "E", or "D&...

Pivot Chart- 2 unrelated series on 1 chart
I have a set of warranty orders that each have a date when the product was originally shipped and a date when a problem was reported. I am trying to make a pivot chart with months on the x-axis and counts on the y-axis. I want 2 series, one that shows how many orders were shipped in each month and one that shows how many problems were reported each month. I do not want to show the relationship between the report and ship dates, just unique counts of each based on date. Is this possible? Here is an example of what my data looks like, I have about 6,000 entries so there are significa...

Unhide a group of Woeksheets at once ? ? ?
Hi All I have been trying to unhide a group of work sheets at once but seem unable to use Ctrl or Shift when using the toolbar options "Format"; "Sheet"; "Unhide". Is there anyway to do this ? ? ? Thanks in Advance Dodge Not using the GUI. You can use a macro: Public Sub UnprotectGroup() Dim wkSht As Worksheet For Each wkSht In ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets wkSht.Unprotect Next wkSht End Sub If the sheets are password protected: Public Sub UnprotectGroup() Const PWORD As String = "drowssap&quo...

cannot find database

Losing cell borders when I copy and paste
When I copy and paste into a blank cell my borders from the cell dissapear. What am I doing wrong? Are you copying a bordered cell onto an un-bordered cell? Format from source will go with the source. If copying an unbordered cell onto a blank bordered cell, source format will wipe the target cell format. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:47:00 -0700, Davo <Davo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I copy and paste into a blank cell my borders from the cell dissapear. >What am I doing wrong? Try paste special -> Values. -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt &qu...

Excel - Array Formulas - Freeze
Hi all I have a big problem. It takes about 30 minutes to save my excel fil because I have many array formula: about 32 000! So do you have a ti to accelerate the computing process? Is a VBA function would do i faster? Here is an example of what I use: Col A contain unique numbers Sheet 1: Col A Col B Col C Row1 001 123 9i9 Row2 005 456 8u8 Row3 003 406 8ur etc... to +8000 In sheet 2, I have to check if the data exist in sheet 1. Col D contai Yes (data is in the sheet1) or No... Examples: Col D check if the data in Col B is the same in sheet 1 Col...

Format only parts of a formula result?
I created a formula composed mostly of text, including a small formula. This formula: ="The products would be $"&ROUND(E28/1000,0)&"K but since new revenues are enabled almost instantly," is intended to produce: The products would be $1335K but since new revenues are enabled almost instantly, Is there a way to BOLD or ITALICIZE the "$1335K" result but leave the other text unbolded? Scott -- sdubose99 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sdubose99's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action...

Can I place visible text in cell that won't print
Is it possible for me to place text in some cells where I can see the text but that will not print when my sheet is printed. I am aware of the comment feature that becomes visible when the mouse hovers over the small red symbol. I would like to be able to see what is in the cell without having to hover the mouse over each cell to see a comment. Is this possible? Thank you for any direction here. Jerry There are a few possible solutions. One is to use the comment as you noted, but you can have them always display even without the mouse hovering over it by using Tools/Options/View and se...

Trapping a NO FIND after a find

ignoring text data in a cell when summing values in the same cell
I have entered text in cells along with a numerical value as a note pertainig to the values example, "2 - exist". Is there a way to tell Excell to ignore the text data in order to sum the values..do you place the text in brackets or parathesis or something similar? -- FM Much, much easier never to mix text & numbers in the same cell in the 1st place. One avenue here, try use Data>Text to Columns to split the numbers separate from the text, then you can sum (or whatever) the numbers col directly. Or, assuming your data is representative (ie numbers are to the...

How do I find the out of office reply?

Category Groups
I have version 8 (Money 2000 Standard). Can anyone tell me if you can change and add category Groups? If so how? Thanks Jessy ...

off the discussion group asap
I found to use this function it made my hotmail out of work, I want to get off this discussion group as soon as possible, what is "discussions not avaialble on heep://www.microsoft.com/??????? how can I get off there? my office does not have discussion server. many thanks! accountant2005 wrote: > I found to use this function it made my hotmail out of work, I want > to get off this discussion group as soon as possible, what is > "discussions not avaialble on heep://www.microsoft.com/??????? how > can I get off there? my office does not have discussion server. many &g...