Find replace #2

We have a column that has first names sometimes last names we have another
column with last names you would like to remove all last names from column a
which is the first names column how can we do that?
0
DK (144)

Select Column A
Choose Text to Columns and choose the delimiter (most likely space or comma)

dk wrote:
> We have a column that has first names sometimes last names we have another
> column with last names you would like to remove all last names from column a
> which is the first names column how can we do that?

Hi dk,

How can you know the difference between a first and last name?

E.g.,

James Simon
Simon James

0
smartin108 (170)
11/27/2008 4:46:50 AM
To basic idea is if the word in the first name is the same as the last name
just
delete the  word in this first name column data to text wouldn't work
because we have sometimes three words in column a sometimes 2 and sometimes 1

"smartin" wrote:

> dk wrote:
> > We have a column that has first names sometimes last names we have another
> > column with last names you would like to remove all last names from column a
> > which is the first names column how can we do that?
>
> Hi dk,
>
> How can you know the difference between a first and last name?
>
> E.g.,
>
> James Simon
> Simon James

0
DK (144)
11/27/2008 5:43:01 AM
Hi,

In C1, try something like

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"")

and copy down.

Dave

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10356893.aspx
0
djc (61)
11/27/2008 8:21:21 AM
Does not seem to be working its copies from column from column a to column c,
we would like to remove the data from column a if it appears in column c
 Hi,

> In C1, try something like
>
> =SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"")
>
> and copy down.
>
> Dave
>
> url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10356893.aspx

0
DK (144)
11/27/2008 4:07:02 PM
Please understand that sometimes we have three words in column a and the
third  word can be their last name in the first name field, sometimes the
second word is the last name, and sometimes is only a last name in the first
name field
"dk" wrote:

> Does not seem to be working its copies from column from column a to column c,
> we would like to remove the data from column a if it appears in column c
>  Hi,
> >
> > In C1, try something like
> >
> > =SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"")
> >
> > and copy down.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10356893.aspx

0
DK (144)
11/27/2008 4:40:09 PM
Dave's method in column C, works beautifully for me.  Then you'd copy and use
Paste Special, Value to copy the "fixed" names back to column A if you want.

"dk" wrote:

> Does not seem to be working its copies from column from column a to column c,
> we would like to remove the data from column a if it appears in column c
>  Hi,
> >
> > In C1, try something like
> >
> > =SUBSTITUTE(A1,B1,"")
> >
> > and copy down.
> >
> > Dave
> >
> > url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10356893.aspx

PLEASE HELP! How to extract information in inbox/sentbox into a text file #2
Can any one tell me how to extract the information of new mails in m inbox/sentbox, including the sender name, message subject and messag time, into a text file ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Form help #2
We are in the process of creating a computer with a kiosk type software that guests need to sign into. There will be a form that they need to complete. We need to be able to make it so that the guest can search for the name of the person he is visiting and then the form will be emailed to that specific person. Is there a way to make a form that works with our exchange server so it searches for a name and then automatically sets the form to email to him. ...

Availables : More that 3500 Solutions manuals and Test Banks (Part 2)
List of Solutions Manuals _________________________ contact me to : mattosbw1@gmail.com mattosbw1(at)gmail.com NOTE : "THIS SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR : CHINA, INDIA, PAKISTAN, IRAQ, IRAN, PHILIPPINES, NORTH KOREA, NEPAL, BANGLADESH, SRI LANKA, MALDIVES & BHUTAN". If your wanted solutions manual is not in this list, also can ask me if is available (They are some only). Then if you need solutions manual only contact me by email. This same "list of titles" of texts with availables solutions manual is for download from...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Large file #2
Hi, I am working on a spreadsheet which was 244k in size, when I reopened it it is now reporting it to be 1.45mb! How did this happen and how can I get it back to it's initial size? Thanks in advance. Hi maybe re-setting the used area will help. See http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >I am working on a spreadsheet which was 244k in size, when >I reopened it it is now reporting it to be 1.45mb! >How did this happen and how can I get it back to it's >initial size? > >Thanks in advance. >. > ...

LDAP #2
How can I configure Outlook 2002 to view my global catalog server? thanks -j ...

Let's pick a replacement for this (Access) newsgroup 2
There were two big threads on the original 6/1/10 post in the General Questions and New User sections. The gist of the original post was: Folks have recommended various sites to replace this (Access) newsgroup for when poor-listener Microsoft drops it. Why don't we pick a replacement to give it the "critical mass" to fully replace this one? If interested, please respond to this with your recommendation. Also, if you feel like it, in case this goes dead, send me an email with your email address at North9000 at gmail dot com and I'll try to collect / send out...

Find (but not find)

Replacing data in Pivot Table causes Field name change
Good morning, I have a pivot table report that uses about 1200 rows of data on a neighboring page. Today I produced new monthly data and pasted it on top of the old data. When I do this the report's left most column field names all change from FieldName to FieldName2. When I look in the drop down box for that field it seems to have duplicated the fields when I pasted the new data. I'm able to work around it by changing the displayed lables from FieldName2 to FieldName"space""space". I can't change to just FieldName because that is already in use. M...

Finding an event

cannot send or receive email #2
I get a "0x800ccc7D" error message and cannot send or receive email. Seems to be related to SSL conditioning? SBC says all my address information is correct and referred me to MSFT tech support. ...

Setup #2
Ok, I have a new email adress from a website I work for, im trying to get the emails sent to my outlook but it never works, sending or reciving i always get the same error message. Im trying to get emails from www.hgtourneys.com Well, with that much information, troubleshooting this issue for you will be a snap. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Cheese Pope asked: | Ok, I have a new email adress from a website I ...

exchange 2003 Pop3 access #2
I'm trying to publish smtp and pop3 through isa. neither of the server publishing rules smtp or pop3 work properly. I was able to work around the smtp portion by configuring smtp virtual server on isa then forwarding to the exchange server. so on to pop3 for this scenario: 10.0.0.2 = exchange server ip 10.0.0.1 = isa internal 10.1.0.1 = isa dmz 60.60.60.60 = public ip address of mail server (nat by firewall to dmz interface of isa) I used mail server publishing to publish pop3 from "external" to "10.0.0.2" Following the tuturial on isaserver.org still I am ...

address books #2
I have been successful in networking 2 "XP professional" computers that are using Office 2000 Premium. I can see my emails on both but can only access the address books on the original one. Can I link the address books from the original computer to the 2nd one like I did the personal folders? Please tell me how but be exact as I am not a techie person but can follow directions. Thanks. ...

cannot find database

Handle 2 Address
Hi all: Is there any way to get the address of the memory block alloc by GlobalAlloc() without call GlobalLock()? Thanks in advance for any help. -- -E.S- Why would you want to do that? If you can give the reason behind this maybe we can suggest something useful. The reason you need to call GlobalLock to get a pointer from a memory handle is that the memory chunck is movable and the operating system will move it without notice. So the pointer that you get from one call to GlobalLock might not be the same as the next time you call GlobalLock. Therefore getting the pointer without ...

Pivot Chart- 2 unrelated series on 1 chart
I have a set of warranty orders that each have a date when the product was originally shipped and a date when a problem was reported. I am trying to make a pivot chart with months on the x-axis and counts on the y-axis. I want 2 series, one that shows how many orders were shipped in each month and one that shows how many problems were reported each month. I do not want to show the relationship between the report and ship dates, just unique counts of each based on date. Is this possible? Here is an example of what my data looks like, I have about 6,000 entries so there are significa...

WinFax replacement
I wrote an Access app years ago for a client and it uses WinFax pro to send out invoices. They need to upgrade but WinFax is gone thanks to the wisdom (LOL) of Symantec. Does anyone know of a good replacement that can be referenced from vba and will allow us to send out Access reports? Thanks, Keith I'm moving this to the microsoft.public.access newsgroup. There's not enough activity here for this to get any attention. If you see this here and have an answer, please answer it there. Thanks. "Keith G Hicks" <krh@comcast.net> wrote in messag...

2 Exchange servers how to.
I have a 2003 Exchange server. I wan't to have another Exchange 2003 server off site connected to the office via VPN. I would like to have the Offsite server to have the same e-mail as the office server so if there is some kind of disater then users could access mail from offsite. Is there some docs on how to do this? Can Exchange 2003 always send new mail to another server? so mail can be read on both servers if needed? Thanks You will need third party software to help with this. If you can wait for E12, there will be some built in support for creating a disastery recovery ser...