Find max value from 3 cells, return text, but 2 max values same!

Hi,
I'm using a simple formula to find and return the maximum value from 3
compared columns (N, Q & T) and place that max value in column U (same row).
Equation in column U is:

=MAX(N3,Q3,T3)

      SK17                     EC3                      PL2    Max  Text
         N       O       P       Q       R       S       T       U       V

3       6                          5                         1       6
4       6                          3                         3       6
5       5                          5                         2       5
6       1                          4                         1       4
7       5                          3                         5       5
8       2                          7                         0       7
9       1                          1                         1       1
10     9                          0                         4       9

That works fine but my problem is I want to return a text note in column V
based on which column has supplied the max value. However, if the same max
value is in 2 or even all 3 of the checked columns, I need column V to simple
display an "X", as illustrated below.

      SK17                     EC3                      PL2    Max   Text
         N       O       P       Q       R       S       T       U       V

3       6                          5                         1       6
SK17
4       6                          3                         3       6
SK17
5       5                          5                         2       5
6       1                          4                         1       4
EC3
7       5                          3                         5       5
8       2                          7                         0       7
EC3
9       1                          1                         1       1
10     9                          0                         4       9
SK17

I'm OK until two max values match but then it all falls apart.
As always any advice will be gratefully received.
Thanks,
Steve.

Hi,

Show us the formula you currently have which works for one max value.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Struggling in Sheffield" wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using a simple formula to find and return the maximum value from 3
> compared columns (N, Q & T) and place that max value in column U (same row).
> Equation in column U is:
>
> =MAX(N3,Q3,T3)
>
>       SK17                     EC3                      PL2    Max  Text
>          N       O       P       Q       R       S       T       U       V
>
> 3       6                          5                         1       6
> 4       6                          3                         3       6
> 5       5                          5                         2       5
> 6       1                          4                         1       4
> 7       5                          3                         5       5
> 8       2                          7                         0       7
> 9       1                          1                         1       1
> 10     9                          0                         4       9
>
> That works fine but my problem is I want to return a text note in column V
> based on which column has supplied the max value. However, if the same max
> value is in 2 or even all 3 of the checked columns, I need column V to simple
> display an "X", as illustrated below.
>
>       SK17                     EC3                      PL2    Max   Text
>          N       O       P       Q       R       S       T       U       V
>
> 3       6                          5                         1       6
> SK17
> 4       6                          3                         3       6
> SK17
> 5       5                          5                         2       5
> 6       1                          4                         1       4
> EC3
> 7       5                          3                         5       5
> 8       2                          7                         0       7
> EC3
> 9       1                          1                         1       1
> 10     9                          0                         4       9
> SK17
>
> I'm OK until two max values match but then it all falls apart.
> As always any advice will be gratefully received.
> Thanks,
> Steve.
Hi,
I deleted it (!) though I think it was this simple beasty below:

=IF(N3=U3,"SK17",IF(Q3=U3,"EC3",IF(T3=U3,"PL2")))

All this did of course is return the first occuring high value if there were
2 or more. I've chewed over many variations to give an "X" if two (or more)
equal max values occur but to no avail.

[...]

5          5                    5                   2       5      X
6          1                    4                   1       4     EC3
7          5                    3                   5       5      X
8          2                    7                   0       7     EC3
9          1                    1                   1       1      X
10        9                    0                   4       9    SK17

I'm OK until two max values match but then it all falls apart.
As always any advice will be gratefully received.
Thanks,
Steve.
do the empty columns need to be there?  if the three columns could have data
side by side, instead of in N, Q, T, the following will get you started:

=IF(COUNTIF(N3:P3,Q3)>1,"X",IF(N3=Q3,"SK17",IF(O3=Q3,"EC3",IF(P3=Q3,"PL2"))))

hope that helps,

doing my bit
jat

"Struggling in Sheffield" wrote:

> Hi,
> I deleted it (!) though I think it was this simple beasty below:
>
> =IF(N3=U3,"SK17",IF(Q3=U3,"EC3",IF(T3=U3,"PL2")))
>
> All this did of course is return the first occuring high value if there were
> 2 or more. I've chewed over many variations to give an "X" if two (or more)
> equal max values occur but to no avail.
>
> "Struggling in Sheffield" wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I'm using a simple formula to find and return the maximum value from 3
> compared columns (N, Q & T) and place that max value in column U (same row).
> Equation in column U is:
>
> =MAX(N3,Q3,T3)
>
>          SK17                  EC3                   PL2   Max  Text
>             N      O      P      Q      R      S      T      U       V
> 3          6                       5                      1       6
> 4          6                       3                      3       6
> 5          5                       5                      2       5
> 6          1                       4                      1       4
> 7          5                       3                      5       5
> 8          2                       7                      0       7
> 9          1                       1                      1       1
> 10        9                       0                      4       9
>
> That works fine but my problem is I want to return a text note in column V
> based on which column has supplied the max value. However, if the same max
> value is in 2 or even all 3 of the checked columns, I need column V to simple
> display an "X", as illustrated below.
>
>          SK17               EC3                PL2  Max   Text
>             N     O     P     Q     R     S     T     U       V
> 3          6                    5                   1       6     SK17
> 4          6                    3                   3       6     SK17
> 5          5                    5                   2       5      X
> 6          1                    4                   1       4     EC3
> 7          5                    3                   5       5      X
> 8          2                    7                   0       7     EC3
> 9          1                    1                   1       1      X
> 10        9                    0                   4       9    SK17
>
> I'm OK until two max values match but then it all falls apart.
> As always any advice will be gratefully received.
> Thanks,
> Steve.
0
JAT (5)
3/6/2009 7:39:02 AM
Hi jat,
Sorry but the 'empty' columns aren't empty, I've just omitted other data to
simplify the problem.
Cheers,
Steve.

"jat" wrote:

> do the empty columns need to be there?  if the three columns could have data
> side by side, instead of in N, Q, T, the following will get you started:
>
> =IF(COUNTIF(N3:P3,Q3)>1,"X",IF(N3=Q3,"SK17",IF(O3=Q3,"EC3",IF(P3=Q3,"PL2"))))
>
> hope that helps,
>
> doing my bit
> jat
>

> "Struggling in Sheffield" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I deleted it (!) though I think it was this simple beasty below:
> >
> > =IF(N3=U3,"SK17",IF(Q3=U3,"EC3",IF(T3=U3,"PL2")))
> >
> > All this did of course is return the first occuring high value if there were
> > 2 or more. I've chewed over many variations to give an "X" if two (or more)
> > equal max values occur but to no avail.
> >
> > "Struggling in Sheffield" wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm using a simple formula to find and return the maximum value from 3
> > compared columns (N, Q & T) and place that max value in column U (same row).
> > Equation in column U is:
> >
> > =MAX(N3,Q3,T3)
> >
> >          SK17                  EC3                   PL2   Max  Text
> >             N      O      P      Q      R      S      T      U       V
> > 3          6                       5                      1       6
> > 4          6                       3                      3       6
> > 5          5                       5                      2       5
> > 6          1                       4                      1       4
> > 7          5                       3                      5       5
> > 8          2                       7                      0       7
> > 9          1                       1                      1       1
> > 10        9                       0                      4       9
> >
> > That works fine but my problem is I want to return a text note in column V
> > based on which column has supplied the max value. However, if the same max
> > value is in 2 or even all 3 of the checked columns, I need column V to simple
> > display an "X", as illustrated below.
> >
> >          SK17               EC3                PL2  Max   Text
> >             N     O     P     Q     R     S     T     U       V
> > 3          6                    5                   1       6     SK17
> > 4          6                    3                   3       6     SK17
> > 5          5                    5                   2       5      X
> > 6          1                    4                   1       4     EC3
> > 7          5                    3                   5       5      X
> > 8          2                    7                   0       7     EC3
> > 9          1                    1                   1       1      X
> > 10        9                    0                   4       9    SK17
> >
> > I'm OK until two max values match but then it all falls apart.
> > As always any advice will be gratefully received.
> > Thanks,
> > Steve.
Managed to find a solution myself.

For those who are interested, U3 contains max value from three compared
cells (N3,Q3 & T3) using formula:
=MAX(N3,Q3,T3)

Inserted another column between U & V.

Formula in new column (row 3):
=LARGE(N3:Q3:T3,2)
This finds the second largest value from the three compared cells.

Formula then in the "text" column (was column V but now W)
=IF(V3=U3,"X",IF(N3=U3,"SK17",IF(Q3=U3,"EC3",IF(T3=U3,"PL2"))))

The largest value from the three compared cells (N3,Q3,T3) is placed in U3
except when the largest value isn't unique (2nd largest value (in V3) is the
same), in which case an "X" is returned.
Finished off by hiding the newly inserted column.
Cheers.

> [...]

> simplify the problem.
> Cheers,
> Steve.
>
> "jat" wrote:
>
> > do the empty columns need to be there?  if the three columns could have data
> > side by side, instead of in N, Q, T, the following will get you started:
> >
> > =IF(COUNTIF(N3:P3,Q3)>1,"X",IF(N3=Q3,"SK17",IF(O3=Q3,"EC3",IF(P3=Q3,"PL2"))))
> >
> > hope that helps,
> >
> > doing my bit
> > jat
> >

> > "Struggling in Sheffield" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I deleted it (!) though I think it was this simple beasty below:
> > >
> > > =IF(N3=U3,"SK17",IF(Q3=U3,"EC3",IF(T3=U3,"PL2")))
> > >
> > > All this did of course is return the first occuring high value if there were
> > > 2 or more. I've chewed over many variations to give an "X" if two (or more)
> > > equal max values occur but to no avail.
> > >
> > > "Struggling in Sheffield" wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm using a simple formula to find and return the maximum value from 3
> > > compared columns (N, Q & T) and place that max value in column U (same row).
> > > Equation in column U is:
> > >
> > > =MAX(N3,Q3,T3)
> > >
> > >          SK17                  EC3                   PL2   Max  Text
> > >             N      O      P      Q      R      S      T      U       V
> > > 3          6                       5                      1       6
> > > 4          6                       3                      3       6
> > > 5          5                       5                      2       5
> > > 6          1                       4                      1       4
> > > 7          5                       3                      5       5
> > > 8          2                       7                      0       7
> > > 9          1                       1                      1       1
> > > 10        9                       0                      4       9
> > >
> > > That works fine but my problem is I want to return a text note in column V
> > > based on which column has supplied the max value. However, if the same max
> > > value is in 2 or even all 3 of the checked columns, I need column V to simple
> > > display an "X", as illustrated below.
> > >
> > >          SK17               EC3                PL2  Max   Text
> > >             N     O     P     Q     R     S     T     U       V
> > > 3          6                    5                   1       6     SK17
> > > 4          6                    3                   3       6     SK17
> > > 5          5                    5                   2       5      X
> > > 6          1                    4                   1       4     EC3
> > > 7          5                    3                   5       5      X
> > > 8          2                    7                   0       7     EC3
> > > 9          1                    1                   1       1      X
> > > 10        9                    0                   4       9    SK17
> > >
> > > I'm OK until two max values match but then it all falls apart.
> > > As always any advice will be gratefully received.

PLEASE HELP! How to extract information in inbox/sentbox into a text file #2
Can any one tell me how to extract the information of new mails in m inbox/sentbox, including the sender name, message subject and messag time, into a text file ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Find Duplicate names and delate

Finding a Median

Form help #2
We are in the process of creating a computer with a kiosk type software that guests need to sign into. There will be a form that they need to complete. We need to be able to make it so that the guest can search for the name of the person he is visiting and then the form will be emailed to that specific person. Is there a way to make a form that works with our exchange server so it searches for a name and then automatically sets the form to email to him. ...

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

CRM 3 English to CRM 3 Greek
Hi! During tha last couple of months we developed our solution with the (available) English Version of CRM 3. Now the Greek version is out and we wonder about the easist path needed to migrate to the Greek language version (on the same server). Can we just export the customizations.xml and use the same databases? How can we export our data from CRM 3 en to CRM 3 gr - if this is not going to work? Thanking you in advance Dimitris You cannot use the export/import customization feature across different language versions. I am affraid that you will need to re-do all the customization...

Availables : More that 3500 Solutions manuals and Test Banks (Part 2)
List of Solutions Manuals _________________________ contact me to : mattosbw1@gmail.com mattosbw1(at)gmail.com NOTE : "THIS SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR : CHINA, INDIA, PAKISTAN, IRAQ, IRAN, PHILIPPINES, NORTH KOREA, NEPAL, BANGLADESH, SRI LANKA, MALDIVES & BHUTAN". If your wanted solutions manual is not in this list, also can ask me if is available (They are some only). Then if you need solutions manual only contact me by email. This same "list of titles" of texts with availables solutions manual is for download from...

vlookup on cell below
Is it possible to do a VLOOKUP but instead of returning the value in row that contains the lookup, it returns the value in the row below? eg a b 1 no x 2 yes y 3 ok z =VLOOKUP("yes",A1:B3,2,FALSE) would return "z" instead of "y". Th only way I can think of is to add a row header at the top and use the MATCH function in column A to find the row position of "yes", then use that in an HLOOKUP in column B. I was hoping there was a simpler way. Not VLOOKUP, but INDEX & MATCH =INDEX(B1:B3,MATCH("yes",A1:A3,0)) -...

Node.text
Hi Making the switch to .net from VB6, and I noticed that the XMLNode object does not expose a text property. How do I write the text value of an element(vb6 - nod.Text = ....)? BTW I have googled may different combinations, and finding an answer to this is harder than it looks. I promise I am not being lazy Thanks Have you tried the InnerText property? -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Newbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EA21AC9-EE85-4C45-9D3F-C1BD4975D36D@microsoft.com... > Hi, &g...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

Histograms #3
Help Me! I am trying to create a Histogram on Excel. The onl information that I have is class limits and the frequnecy's for eac class. Every time I enter the information on Excel and click o Hisogram it changes my Bins. I know there is a way to create one wit this inforamtion, but I have no idea how. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com TarheelGirl33 - > Help Me! I am trying to create a Histogram on Excel. The only information that I have is class limits and the frequnecy's for each class. Every time I enter the information on Excel and click on Hisogram it ...

Finding an event

OWA Stopped Working #3
OWA has worked fine for us for years; but suddenly we just get the "Loading" screen. There is just code on the left hand side where the icons should be; and a few empty boxes across the top. All of the services are running on the front end server, it has been rebooted, and all of the services are running on the back end servers. The exchweb site is running. No configuration changes have been made. This happens on IE 6 and IE7. I have read KB280823. Everything is set as should be. Virus scans reveal nothing. What could have happened? And how do I fix it?! Thanks! Check ou...

exchange 2003 Pop3 access #2
I'm trying to publish smtp and pop3 through isa. neither of the server publishing rules smtp or pop3 work properly. I was able to work around the smtp portion by configuring smtp virtual server on isa then forwarding to the exchange server. so on to pop3 for this scenario: 10.0.0.2 = exchange server ip 10.0.0.1 = isa internal 10.1.0.1 = isa dmz 60.60.60.60 = public ip address of mail server (nat by firewall to dmz interface of isa) I used mail server publishing to publish pop3 from "external" to "10.0.0.2" Following the tuturial on isaserver.org still I am ...

address books #2
I have been successful in networking 2 "XP professional" computers that are using Office 2000 Premium. I can see my emails on both but can only access the address books on the original one. Can I link the address books from the original computer to the 2nd one like I did the personal folders? Please tell me how but be exact as I am not a techie person but can follow directions. Thanks. ...

Upgrading reports from CRM 3.0 to 4.0
Having spent around 10 hours trying to upgrade a custom report from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0, I thought I’d post a message to share my pain and the solution! It appears that in CRM 4.0 Microsoft have made a change to the way in which the standard reports retrieve the name of the user running the report. I have been unable to find any documentation about this. If you have a custom report that is based on a standard CRM 3.0 report (i.e. it has the CRM_FullName parameter & UserInfo dataset) and upload it into CRM 4.0 then try to run it, you may get either of the following behaviours • Th...

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

Handle 2 Address
Hi all: Is there any way to get the address of the memory block alloc by GlobalAlloc() without call GlobalLock()? Thanks in advance for any help. -- -E.S- Why would you want to do that? If you can give the reason behind this maybe we can suggest something useful. The reason you need to call GlobalLock to get a pointer from a memory handle is that the memory chunck is movable and the operating system will move it without notice. So the pointer that you get from one call to GlobalLock might not be the same as the next time you call GlobalLock. Therefore getting the pointer without ...

cannot find database