Filtering without Filter

I just don't get the following. Any ideas?

"A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact".
"B" row I have the person's name (employee).
"C" row I have a quantity, just one number.

Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or
Employee2 or Employee3 have.
Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on
row "C".

Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so should
there be somekind of conditional IF function included?

This is going to be a self-updating excel in the end that will show "Live",
who has the most contacts. I understand that using Auto-filter would easily
give me answers, but I'm afraid it's not an option if this is going to be one
big shared excel with pretty graphs.

0
Karpo (3)

=sumproduct((a2:a22="contact")*(b2:b22="employee1")*c2:c22)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Karpo" <Karpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just don't get the following. Any ideas?
>
> "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact".
> "B" row I have the person's name (employee).
> "C" row I have a quantity, just one number.
>
> Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or
> Employee2 or Employee3 have.
> Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on
> row "C".
>
> Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so
> should
> there be somekind of conditional IF function included?
>
> This is going to be a self-updating excel in the end that will show
> "Live",
> who has the most contacts. I understand that using Auto-filter would
> easily
> give me answers, but I'm afraid it's not an option if this is going to be
> one
> big shared excel with pretty graphs.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
10/21/2008 12:12:31 PM
Thank you Don Guillett! I was able to make one beautiful excel with this
matrix -function-thingy you gave me. :)

"Don Guillett" wrote:

> =sumproduct((a2:a22="contact")*(b2:b22="employee1")*c2:c22)
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> "Karpo" <Karpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just don't get the following. Any ideas?
> >
> > "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact".
> > "B" row I have the person's name (employee).
> > "C" row I have a quantity, just one number.
> >
> > Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or
> > Employee2 or Employee3 have.
> > Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on
> > row "C".
> >
> > Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so
> > should
> > there be somekind of conditional IF function included?
> >
> > This is going to be a self-updating excel in the end that will show
> > "Live",
> > who has the most contacts. I understand that using Auto-filter would
> > easily
> > give me answers, but I'm afraid it's not an option if this is going to be
> > one
> > big shared excel with pretty graphs.

0
Karpo (3)
10/21/2008 1:06:01 PM
Glad to help

--
> Thank you Don Guillett! I was able to make one beautiful excel with this
> matrix -function-thingy you gave me. :)
>
> "Don Guillett" wrote:
>
>> =sumproduct((a2:a22="contact")*(b2:b22="employee1")*c2:c22)
>>
>> --
>> Don Guillett
>> Microsoft MVP Excel
>> SalesAid Software
>> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
>> "Karpo" <Karpo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just don't get the following. Any ideas?
>> >
>> > "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a
>> > contact".
>> > "B" row I have the person's name (employee).
>> > "C" row I have a quantity, just one number.
>> >
>> > Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1
>> > or
>> > Employee2 or Employee3 have.
>> > Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found
>> > on
>> > row "C".
>> >
>> > Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so
>> > should
>> > there be somekind of conditional IF function included?
>> >
>> > This is going to be a self-updating excel in the end that will show
>> > "Live",
>> > who has the most contacts. I understand that using Auto-filter would
>> > easily
>> > give me answers, but I'm afraid it's not an option if this is going to
>> > be
>> > one
>> > big shared excel with pretty graphs.

0
dguillett1 (2487)
10/21/2008 1:11:50 PM
There's another functionality known as a pivot table in Excel which can
deliver equally beautiful results in a flash. If your 3 col headers are say:
Con, Emp & Qty, in step 3 of the pivot wizard, click Layout, then just drag n
drop Con & Emp in ROW area (one below the other), drag n drop Qty in DATA
area. That's it. Check out the pivot's results.
--
Max
Singapore

0
demechanik (4694)

Criteria for Advanced Filter HELP
I have what I think is a simple question that I need answered IMMEDIATELY. I have a spreadsheet with 20 fields and I want to filter it so it only shows records that have something in of any of 5 of those fields. So once filtered, I will not have any records that have all 5 of those fields blank. I know I have done this before but I'll be damned if I can remember or find out how. -- Thanks You all are teaching me so much don't cross-post -- answer supplied in misc NG "knowshowrosegrows" <knowshowrosegrows@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACBC0...

Saving to a network share without delete permssions
Guys, We have a network share on a Win2K3 Server where users are trying to save Excel workbooks to. They do not have the delete permission. When Excel saves I believe it creates a temp file, then saves the .xls and then tries to delete the temp file. If the temp file is unable to be deleted the save fails. (E.G. If the users have delete permissions they can save OK). Anyone have a good workaround or fix for this? Thanks, Steve. Maybe not so good... Change the permissions or save to a different folder--or File|SaveAs as a new name each time they save. (All ugly, except for changing p...

Employee Filters

Filtering based on a filter
Hello, I have an Excel Worksheet with a Pivot Table at the top with a Filter and a data set returned from a DB2 database below it. I would like to filter the DB2 data set based on the Pivot Table filter that is enabled. Any ideas? Thanks! James, You can't filter two ranges on the same worksheet. You can, instead, drill-down on your pivot table, which will show all items that go into the value on a newly created separate sheet. The drawback to that is that you cna only drill down on one item at a time, and it is a separate sheet. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "James" <an...

Question on the IMF filtering in exchange...
Hey I installed the IMF filter last night and it works great, with one exception. I set both thresholds to the same (5) and got almost all blocked emails into the archive that were junk...So that is good. However I had some users report that there was mail in their junk folder that should have been good Inbox mail. This I undersyand and can live with as folas-positives...the problem is, since both settings on the folter tab were set to 5, how does it know to send the mail to archive rather than Junk folder? Why wouldn't it just send them all to archive if both settings were at ...

Filtering without Filter
I just don't get the following. Any ideas? "A" row I have two different values I use: "Contact" and "Not a contact". "B" row I have the person's name (employee). "C" row I have a quantity, just one number. Now what I need is to output quantities of how many Contacts Employee1 or Employee2 or Employee3 have. Also what I need is to get the number of contacts - which can be found on row "C". Should I use COUNT.IF ? Row A can have 2 or more different values so should there be somekind of conditional IF function included? T...

Filtering #11
Hi, can ayone tell me how I could do the following in excel 2007 or 2010: Horse Trainer Sam M Jones John M Jones Colin S Attwater Steve J Jackson Brian B Mathers James B Mathers Martin G Raggy Patrick S Thomson What I want to do is filter the dataset on 'Trainer' so that it only shows me the Trainers who feature once in the list. So if I was to do this properly it would only show S Attwater and G Raggy as the other trainers have more than one horse..... Hopefully someone can help because it is driving me crazy !! Thanks David Give this macro a try... Sub HideDuplicateTr...

How to fill up CPrintInfo without a Print Dialog Box
I can get the DEVMODE structure from a given printer name so I do not need to popup a print dialog box. However, since I do not want to override all those print functions, I will have to correctly fill up the CPrintInfo which contains the print dialog structure. Is there any way to do this? ...

Junk filter BEFORE other filters?
I am running Outlook 2003 and the Junk filter was working really well. Then I started making other filters...one of them looks for my domain name in the headers and if it's there it moves the email to a folder. Problem is, this filter seems to activate before the junk filter, so the junk sn't being filtered now! How can I set the junk filter to do it's job first and THEN to run my own rules? -- Bryan Anderson <www.anderson-it.com> I created this rule and set it as the first rule to run: Apply this rule after the message arrives with 'X-Spam-Level:******'or'...

Pasting into a filtered list
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to paste a list of price updates into a filtered list. - I have filtered the list to show just the products whose prices need to be updated, when I try to paste the updated prices, into the list, the prices are not just pasted into the visible cells but the hidden cells between. Can I paste into the visible cells only or do I have to update each line manually. I am using Excel 2002 Any help would be much appreciated Can you sort the list to bring the products that need updating together in the list? If not, try something like this: Your list of product...

Macro to copy a VLOOKUP formula

apply filter macro
I have a access db that works on win xp but does not work on win 2007 I have a combo box that triggers a apply filter macro using a query sort. no problem on win 2000 or win xp or win 2003 Help AlT ...

IP filtering based on corresponding MX records
Hello Dears, How can I implement the following? Used: Exchange 2003 SP2 in FE/BE configuration; FE is in perimeter zone (capable to “speak” with DNS, BE, DCs and retrieve info) So, somebody connects my FE to sent an e-mail to one of domain users. I need something like that: When connecting, see the “mail from: user@somedomain.xxx”; Verify if there is a record MX for the IP address from which the connection was established in DNS for the domain “somedomain.xxx” If not – drop connection (attention: MX record, not SPF) Is it possible with Exchange 2003 SP2 only? How? Thank you, Alex I be...

Month Filter
I keep a log of checks that I receive in my department throughout the year. I have the checks listed by date (mm/dd/yy), payee, check #, etc. What I want to do is be able to filter the list by month (ex., March 2005). Is there a way to do this? Thanks Joseph You can Try EasyFilter Joseph http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Joseph" <joe@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%23lQNnTawFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... >I keep a log of checks that I receive in my department throughout the year. I have the checks lis...

filter for missing values in a range
I have a list in Col A ( about 2000) one to four digit numbers. I would like to ( for example) , in the 700's be able to filter and find out which of the numbers from 700 to 799 is NOT in the list. I know how to copy and paste to another col, etc. Thanks in advance for the wonderful help all of you give. One play .. Assume your source data runs in A2 down In B2: =IF(ROWS($1:1)+700-1>799,"",IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(ROWS($1:1)+700-1,A:A,0)),"",ROWS($1:1)+700-1)) Copy B2 down by 100 rows to cover the full spread of numbers to be checked, ie # of nums from s...

Using a form in Excel to Filter
I would like to create a form in Excel that is similar to a form in Access. This form will hold all fields on the underlying spreadsheet and enable the user to sort using combo box dropdowns. Ideally, the form would have a button titled RUN that will take all the data the user selects in the combos and filter the underlying spreadsheet. Can this be done?? If so....you will save my life! TIA, Chris Try this Add-in http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl <ccfatzin@ibtco.com> wrote in message news:1122677766.648239.226910@z14g200...

Filtering
Is there a way to filter messages that contain embedded images? Or even better, messages that only contain embedded images and no text? thanks, Andy andyp@repcmi.com ...

filter driver for an USB modem
Hello, I am working on a NDIS filter under Windows 7 64 bits. The filter is working well as NetService Class with classical Ethernet Adapters. But, it does not work with an USB Modem with "Modem" class. Packets handled by the modem are not sent to the filter. How can I get them ? I suspect I should register the driver in another manner. Regards. Eric Boudrand > Packets handled by the modem are not sent to the filter. How can I get = > them ? I suspect I should register the driver in another manner. You need to support PPP in your filter, this requires ...

template- fixed asset register without depreciation
looking for a template of a fixed asset register without depreciation fomula or calculations. ...

Reverse filter?
Hello, Is there a way to do a "reverse" filter. I'd like to be able to hide or delete rows that match specified criteria. Thank you, Marc Hi Marc, Unfortunately not, but depending on how you are filtering you might be able to use =NOT(oldformula) For the autofilter you might have to use another column (F) F1: 'white -- value of cell you don't want to match F2: =TRIM(F$1)<>TRIM(E2) and fill down --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel...

Updating IDs Using Junction Tables Without Combo Boxes
All, I am currently working on creating an input form that is designed to have contact information entered on one side of the form and land parcel information loaded into the other. The Contact information would be stored in the contact table, and the parcel data in a parcel table. I have a junction table, Owner that is designed to hold the Contact ID and the Parcel ID. My question is this, once the data is entered, how do I get the Owner table to populate with the proper IDs? I have previously created a database that used combo boxes, thus setting the IDs by that choice, but I don...

Data Filter Question
When I am trying out different data filter criteria, is there an easy and fast way to go back to displaying *all* data without clicking on the drop arrow and selecting All? I am using Excel 2003. Thank you. I've added an icon to my favorite toolbar: Tools|Customize|Commands tab|data category Drag the "Show All" (and maybe autofilter) icon to a toolbar. john.menken@ceridian.com wrote: > > When I am trying out different data filter criteria, is there an easy > and fast way to go back to displaying *all* data without clicking on > the drop arrow and selecting All? ...

Filtering Low Cardinality Columns on SQL 2005
I have a view which is a 5 table join. One of those tables is 1.5million rows. When doing select on this view, the conditions are as follows: 1. compare if equal a column to a literal, with 2 distinct values, 2. compare if equal column to a literal, with 5 distinct values, 3. compare if equal column to a literal, with329 distinct values, 4. compare if less than date column to literal, with 1.2 distinct values All of the above columns are from the large table, mentioned above. This table has a compound primary key. Looking at explain plan, an index scan is being performed ...

Advanced Filter #4
I used advanced filter to combine duplicate rows into a unique row. However, the duplicate rows are still there. If you go to the Data menu and click Show All, the duplicate rows are displayed again. My question is, after filtering out the duplicate rows, how do I get rid of them, not just hide them? Greg, Use "copy to" instead of "filter in place." The copied-to is your unique list. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "Greg" <gwikle@triad.rr.com> wrote in message news:OpvFHg...