file is locked does not appear in Excel if file already open by an

We have shared files on a network drive.  When a file is open by one user,
and a second user opens the file we want them to recieve <filename> is locked
for editing message and open the file read only.  This works great for some
users, but we have several users that can open the file (even if someone is
already in it) and they do not get the prompt and can edit the workbook.  Is
there a setting that would turn this off for some users and not others in
excel?
0
Leslie (38)

Hello Leslie,
You could try sharing the workbook.

With the Excel workbook open, choose Tools from the menu.
Choose Share Workbook.
Click the Editing tab, and select Allow changes by more than one user at the
same time. This also allows workbook merging.
On the Advanced tab, select the Automatically every option and then click OK.
When you save the workbook, the workbook is now shared with others who have
access to it. Changes to the workbook are updated every 15 minutes by
default.
Note: Some Excel features are not available within a shared workbook. For
additional information about sharing workbooks, choose Help from the menu,
and type share workbook for the topic. You will see the topic Limitations of
Shared Workbooks, and other information about this feature.

Cheers,
Annie

"Leslie" wrote:

> We have shared files on a network drive.  When a file is open by one user,
> and a second user opens the file we want them to recieve <filename> is locked
> for editing message and open the file read only.  This works great for some
> users, but we have several users that can open the file (even if someone is
> already in it) and they do not get the prompt and can edit the workbook.  Is
> there a setting that would turn this off for some users and not others in
> excel?
0
annie (51)
4/7/2006 8:35:02 PM
We tried this, but when a user tries to open the file after share workbook is
enabled, the file is locked and they have to save it as a new name.

"Annie" wrote:

> Hello Leslie,
> You could try sharing the workbook.
>
> With the Excel workbook open, choose Tools from the menu.
> Choose Share Workbook.
> Click the Editing tab, and select Allow changes by more than one user at the
> same time. This also allows workbook merging.
> On the Advanced tab, select the Automatically every option and then click OK.
> When you save the workbook, the workbook is now shared with others who have
> access to it. Changes to the workbook are updated every 15 minutes by
> default.
> Note: Some Excel features are not available within a shared workbook. For
> additional information about sharing workbooks, choose Help from the menu,
> and type share workbook for the topic. You will see the topic Limitations of
> Shared Workbooks, and other information about this feature.
>
> Cheers,
> Annie
>

> "Leslie" wrote:
>
> > We have shared files on a network drive.  When a file is open by one user,
> > and a second user opens the file we want them to recieve <filename> is locked
> > for editing message and open the file read only.  This works great for some
> > users, but we have several users that can open the file (even if someone is
> > already in it) and they do not get the prompt and can edit the workbook.  Is
> > there a setting that would turn this off for some users and not others in
> > excel?
0
Leslie (38)
4/7/2006 8:51:01 PM
Hi Leslie,
There might be some helpful information on the Microsoft site.
Check:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;814112

Cheers,
Annie

"Leslie" wrote:

> We tried this, but when a user tries to open the file after share workbook is
> enabled, the file is locked and they have to save it as a new name.
>
> "Annie" wrote:
>
> > Hello Leslie,
> > You could try sharing the workbook.
> >
> > With the Excel workbook open, choose Tools from the menu.
> > Choose Share Workbook.
> > Click the Editing tab, and select Allow changes by more than one user at the
> > same time. This also allows workbook merging.
> > On the Advanced tab, select the Automatically every option and then click OK.
> > When you save the workbook, the workbook is now shared with others who have
> > access to it. Changes to the workbook are updated every 15 minutes by
> > default.
> > Note: Some Excel features are not available within a shared workbook. For
> > additional information about sharing workbooks, choose Help from the menu,
> > and type share workbook for the topic. You will see the topic Limitations of
> > Shared Workbooks, and other information about this feature.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Annie
> >

> > "Leslie" wrote:
> >
> > > We have shared files on a network drive.  When a file is open by one user,
> > > and a second user opens the file we want them to recieve <filename> is locked
> > > for editing message and open the file read only.  This works great for some
> > > users, but we have several users that can open the file (even if someone is
> > > already in it) and they do not get the prompt and can edit the workbook.  Is
> > > there a setting that would turn this off for some users and not others in
> > > excel?
0
annie (51)

How do I automatically prompt to file a sent message?
As a former NOTES user, I've become accustomed to being able to both send and file an email in "one" step. In Outlook the default is to file the sent item in the "sent" folder, or the folder in which the original message resides. I'd like the option of choosing any folder in which to file the sent message to come up automatically when I send an email. Any ideas? See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/code/setsavefolder.htm for sample VBA code to do this. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators,...

Global Customers payments not appearing in RMS HQ
Hello All.... We are having problems with payments of the Global Customers that are booked correcty in RMS Store Ops and never are taken out of the balance at RMS HQ, the payments receipts appear in the journals in the HQ, but the transactions are not booked on the customers accounts. We used already our incidents with Microsoft and they sent several scripts and pathes in the past that were supposed to solve this problem, and now I'm already having my doubts regarding this software, since this is going on since last year that we bought the software. Anyone familiar with this problem...

I can't open an emailed Excel Spreadsheet
I was emailed an Excel Spreadsheet for me to download and use, but my yahoo email couldn't open it. It directed me to the Microsoft webpage to find out what program it came from. What do I do now???? Is it possible that you do not have excel installed on your computer? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "New to area" <New to area@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:477288BA-4E9E-45A7-B183-A19E96F9A873@microsoft.com... > I was emailed an Excel Spreadsheet for me to download and use, but my yahoo > email couldn't open it. It directed...

excel 2000 336 error
I am running Excel 2000 on a windows 2000 machine that's on a network. All the other machies on the network access this Visual Basic file but when I try I get a 336 error stating that the "Microsoft Visual Basic component not correctly registered". Clicking the "Help" button revelas that the "ActiveX component has not been properly registered in the system registry" I've tried "repairing" the installation, "reinstalling" through the setup procedure without uninstalling and finally an uninstall and reinstall of Office 2000 but s...

saving publisher file to PDF file format #2
after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and send by email to a publishing house "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87A433B3-6EA5-439E-806D-74C985EA24DC@microsoft.com... > after creating a page in publisher i need to save it as a pdf file and > send > by email to a publishing house If you don't have Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader), download either of these: http://www.win2pdf.com or http://www.primopdf.com ...

Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3
I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X files on his Mac server (10.2.8). So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each file wi...

Changing default browser
Hello, I'm wondering how to change the default browser so when I click on hyperlinks in Word, Excel, and OneNote they automatically open in Firefox. Is there a way to do this? Currently they all open in IE, which I have on my computer but don't prefer to use. Thanks very much! This would be a question for a Firefox forum, as Office settings have nothing to do with the default browser. However, since I have Firefox.... On the menu, choose: Tools Options Advanced Check "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup" Also click "...

Inserting a file from FTP
Hello i have a FTP server that host's files for my office to share. >From one computer that has publisher 2000 on it has problems inserting a file from the ftp into a publisher document. The error i recive from that computer is that it has a problem linking a file that is not on the computer or on the network. The odd thing is that every other computer in the building can connect to the FTP and insert images from it. Also the computer can connect to the FTP through Internet Exlplorer so connectivity isn't a problem. Any help on this would be great. Also most the other computer'...

Duplicate File Message opening an Excel 97 file from Windows Expl.
When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents menu of the Start button, the document opens, and I get a message that "A document with the name "XXXXX" is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, evan if the documents are in different folders." If I start Excel, firs, I don't get this message. Hi see: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mark B wrote: > When I open an Excel 97 file from Windows Explorer or the Documents > menu of the Start button, the ...

Cursor appearance while typing in Outlook 2007
While typing in outlook 2007, the cursor will disappear most of the time and blinks on every few letters. (I'm not talking about automatically hiding the mouse cursor/pointer while tying, which is available in the Mouse visibility options). I mean the text cursor. This behavior also appears using the print view in Word 2007 (in the draft view the cursor is visible while typing). Most other applications including MS apps (and office 2003) do not behave this way. The most obvious way to show the behavior is to hold the space bar while typing an email in outlook 2007. ...

Excel File Association not working
Hi, One of our users cannot open an Excel file by just double-clicking on it any longer. If he opens Excel first, he can browse to the file and open it. I looked at the file associations for .xls types of files and it lists Excel as the program to use to open .xls. I tried an Office repair, but that didn't help. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Thanks, Sandy M Sometimes one of these works for similar problems. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel and Windows Start Button|Run excel /unregserver then W...

How to save a PC Excel file into MAC (it says file is read only)?
I am having troubles with an Excel workbook I created on my PC (using Excel 2000). Essentially I can't save it in a Machintosh computer. Thanks for your help ...

How to convert binary file to ASCII file
How to convert binary file to ASCII file? Thanks in advance! "prinz" <de6666@lycos.com> wrote in message news:40222AF5.B3B6EFFB@lycos.com... > How to convert binary file to ASCII file? > > Thanks in advance! > well, an ascii file is a binary file... just the bits happen to be easily displayable as letters, number, and other symbols. you will have to find out what the meaning of each bit in the binary file is, how the bits are grouped into bytes, and how the bytes are grouped into higher order things. then read the file with the appropriate file access method a...

Trying to Open Excel File, But its says file is locked for editing
I'm trying to open an Excel file on a network drive. However when I try to open it. It has an Error Message: File in use. Drivers return 'Taco far return disk Chart 2005.xls' is locked for editing. Options are 'Read Only', 'Notify' or 'Cancel' I know no one is in the spreadsheet, and does not indicate who would be if there was. Can anyone help? Maybe: http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly or http://contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen Both from Debra Dalgleish's site. Smeeta Geary wrote: > > I'm trying to open an Exc...

Web Query: Excel doesn't respond when fetching around 16000 rows through WebQuer
I have created a table with 16,000 rows. When I fetch the data through IQY in excel 97 it shows 100% cpu usage and fails to fetch data even after 1 hr. When I open the same workbook using Excel 2000 it fetches the data and displays it correctly within 5 minutes. WebServer shows that data is correctly delivered to the Client, but looks like Excel 97 is not able to refresh itself with the large amount of data Is this a known problem with Excel 97 Please send me mail at Kirit_Adatiya@Yahoo.com Thanks in advance. Kirit ...

Dynamics CRM Snap Toolbar not appearing in Word
I am installing the Snap Toolbar and does not appear in Word after the installation. It is not even a toolbar option, yet in add/remove programs it appears there. I have tried to run the "repair installation" and reboot. Still doesn't appear. User can get into CRM no problem and CRM for Outlook works fine. Any ideas? -- Nick Hi, I'm having exactly the same problem. Any advise on this from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. "Nick" wrote: > I am installing the Snap Toolbar and does not appear in Word after the > installation. It is not ...

problems with inserting html to xslt file.
Hi, I have a string/xml value that has to be inserted to a specific <xsl:tempalte> tag, I have a namespace registered so that I can insert new XSL elements. nsmgr = New XmlNamespaceManager(myXslt.NameTable) nsmgr.AddNamespace("xsl", "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform") This is the string that has to be inserted to xsl:template tag : <tr> <td><xsl:apply-templates select="bla" /></td> </tr> If I try the element.insertXml method there is an error saying undeclared namespace and poiting to the <xsl:apply> tag. The...

Those damn pst files!!
Hello, I have had MANY problems with outlook, first, I had problems where I had to reinstall every time I closed outlook xp or I couldn't send emails, then I tried the detect and repair--restore defaults, then I reconfigured and it seemed to work fine...EXCEPT I could no longer intellisync or sync anything...I looked into the matter, and found that my default Outlook.pst was now outlook1.pst, so I changed the name to outlook.pst, reconfigured (again lost the address book in the process) and still can't sync...what is up with these damn pst files? WHERE should I put that OUTL...

Storing strings in header file via resource file (.rc file) ?
Hi: My application needs to support multiple languages. I'm now planning to strong strings in multiple string tables in the rc file; where each string table contains one language. My question is: will it be much simpler to store those strings in multiple header files? In this case a string can be used directly without the need to use CString to load each string before using it. Please let me know if I'm missing some advantages using the rc file to store strings. Thanks in Advance. Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<e...

Can i import one excel file to another excel file?
I have a new excel file that I want to update with an older excel file, can I import the two? There must be an easy way to merge the two together without having to retype. Depends on what you mean by update. If it's just to add more data to the bottom of an existing list, open both files, then select the data, Edit/Copy it and Edit/Paste to the other workbook. If that's not what you want, can you be more specific? On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:59:09 -0700, "kimbers867" <kimbers867@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a new excel file that I want to update with ...

Problem converting Quicken backup file to Money 2004
Hi, When I use the Converting Quickent Files feature, after the conversion is done, it shows the correct balance in the Quicken balance, but on the Money balance column, it's all zero. After conversion, I open the converted Money file, all accounts still show zero balance. What's the correct way to import all Quicken accounts and balance to Money? thp ...

OL 2002 - Attached MSG file - No body property returned
We have a large number of psts with emails bearing problematic MSG attachments. The PST files appear to be from an Exchange environment (Likely 2000). We are using VB6 to access the data via Outlook 2002 (we've tried 2003, but with the same results). Outlook 2002 (sp-2) is not returning any value for the body property of an attached MSG email items. When opening them in Outlook, you can see that there is in fact body text which seems only to be visible when viewed through the UI in OL. Here is something odd: 1. When viewed in Quick View Plus (ver 6 & 8) it appears with only the heade...

Excel and "AutoRun.inf" -- help
Greetings list: I want to burn an Excel workbook to a CD. When the CD is inserted into a computer, I would like it to automatically start up Excel and OPEN my workbook. I've tried some "helper" applications for getting the autorun.inf file to open Excel [and my workbook] when the CD is inserted into the comptuter. It's not working! Can anyone help? Penny I think you might have more success in a site that deals wit Powerpoint -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

OUTLOOK locks up for second user
Vista Ultimate, OUTLOOK works fine for adm user. Other user cannot send, cannot close program. Explanation says a dialog box is open. Occurs with or without adm user signed in. Adm is using msn.com/other is using hotmail.com After a clean boot try with a new profile created via the Mil icon in Control Panel. "DANGR ACE" <DANGR ACE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7139D9DF-06F1-4F86-BCB6-5F5856B695C2@microsoft.com... > Vista Ultimate, OUTLOOK works fine for adm user. Other user cannot send, > cannot close program. Explanation says a dialog box is open...

opening .wks files
Had created spreadsheets as .wks files on Windows ME. I'm unable to open these now that I've upgraded to XP and Office XP. I've tried to associate them with Excel but they will not open properly. How can I retreive these? Hi a repost from Ken Wright to convert MS Works files: ----- Generally you would normally open the file in WORKS and then save it down as a file that Excel can read. .xlr is a native Excel format, or .txt, ..csv, dbaseIV are all formats it can read. You can also find a converter here if you don't have WORKS. http://www.rl-software.com/indexjs.htm?/con...