Exceptionally large files

I have found that Excel files for which I pivot tables and filters take up a
lot of storage space.  Is this normal?

Obrigado

Ronaldo

0
hatidi (3)

It depends on what is in the file and what you mean by "a lot" of
space.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Ronaldo" <hatidi@spam.zw> wrote in message
>I have found that Excel files for which I pivot tables and
>filters take up a
> lot of storage space.  Is this normal?
>
> Obrigado
>
> Ronaldo

0
chip1 (1821)
11/26/2004 6:27:39 PM
Files for which I would expect the size to be less than 500kb (when compared
with files with similar content, turn out to be even as big as 6mb

"Chip Pearson" <chip@cpearson.com> wrote in message
> It depends on what is in the file and what you mean by "a lot" of
> space.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> "Ronaldo" <hatidi@spam.zw> wrote in message
> >I have found that Excel files for which I pivot tables and
> >filters take up a
> > lot of storage space.  Is this normal?
> >
> > Obrigado
> >
> > Ronaldo

0
hatidi (3)

Play a sound file on an event
I want to play a sound file on the happenning of an event. Specifically a field in an excel file is being constantly updated through dde link On the value of that field reaching a certain number, say 75, I want sound file to be played. Is it possible? If so appreciate if someone could tell me how. I do no know programming and not too familiar with VBA in Excel. So please giv a good explanation of the suggested procedure. Thanks in advanc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Copying Very Large files
Would there be any performance gain if we used win2008R2 rather than Windows 7 at each end for copying large(2-5GB batches). -- Craig On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:56:55 -0600, "News" <nf@no.com> wrote: >Would there be any performance gain if we used win2008R2 rather than >Windows 7 at each end for copying large(2-5GB batches). > >-- Craig > I doubt it but the performance will differ in ways that depend upon the file size not just the total bytes. You may find some clues in http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2008/02/04/28261...

Applying a template to an existing file
I'm curious to know if you can apply a template's format to an existing spreadsheet file? My situation is this: I have an Access database that is generating between 50 and 100 Excel spreadsheet files. I want to know if there is an automated way in which I can apply the formatting from template to those files or to I have to do that manually? Thanks, Frank Well, you could record a macro that formats one of them: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/record_a_macro_in_microsoft_excel.htm and then use the code that's generated along with a macro like this one: http://vbaexpres...

Orphan .ost file
Is there any way I can reopen an .ost file? We had some server problems (which I don't understand) and our mailboxes have been recreated with a back up copy. However, now my .ost is telling me it belongs to a different mailbox when I try to associate it with my account. Is there anything I can do to recover the data? (the original mailbox lost all the data so this is the only way to recover my contacts, calendar etc) The .ost is specific to the profile under which it was created. Once that connection is broken, the .ost is toast. You can use a service on the Internet that will a...

Access -> Excel large Copy Paste fails
I have an unusual situation where a user is attempting to copy a large amount of data from Access 2003 SP2 -> Excel 2003 SP2 on a windows 2003 sp2 (i386) server. Specifically the dataset it 15,683 rows of data. I can see the copy run as the blue status bar runs across indicating the copy process is running for 8-10 seconds. When it finishes I paste into a blank new spreadsheet in Excel and it runs for a some time - maybe 30-45 seconds - an error pops up "Microsoft Office Excel cannot pasted the data". I only have 2003 server and office installed along with the latest Mi...

ADO Exceptions
������: "Tony Tanm" <tony21st@sina.com.cn> ����: One question about ADO ����: 2003��8��22�� 14:48 I use ADO in my application to access database,when I give the parameter ConnectionString of connection's method Open a wrong value(say,data source that doesn't exist),my program will arouse exception, through step debugging, I found that the following code [in msado20.tli file] if (FAILED(_hr)) _com_issue_errorex(_hr, this, __uuidof(this)); lead to the exception. I'm puzzled about it. Somebody help me please. Thanks in advance. Tony, you have several opti...

get a list of file in a directory
Hi. what would be the best way to return a list of files in a directory. I know in VB you could use the dir function, but what should i use in MFC. Doen anyone know of a class available where I could say return all the file in a certain directory and its sub directories Regards Dylan Take a look at the CFileFind MFC class. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Dylan Franklin" <dyl2000@lineone.net> wrote in message news:eHHBr0MxDHA.2436@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi. > > what would be the best way to return a list of files i...

how do I email publisher file with excel links?
I have a file in MS publisher with graphs and charts linked from Excel. I need to be able to email and transfer these files to other users/computers. When I try to copy or pack and go, the users cannot edit the charts or update links inthe publisher file. Any ideas on how to do this??? I also want to make a copy of a new pub file and have it link to the new excel file... Is this even possible? My copied pub files always refer to the same excel file I created. Any help would be much appreciated! "dave" wrote: > I have a file in MS publisher with graphs and charts linke...

Read xml file with multiple elements

After converting a file from pdf to MS word, unable to make chang.
What do I do next after sending my resume to my e-mail then converting to a word document I am unable to make any changes to my resume. help. The file could be read-only, or the format isn't something that Word can edit. How did you do the conversion? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via msnews.microsoft.com) "After converting a file from pdf to MS w" <After converting a file from pdf to MS w@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63C2215C-FCC0-4E3D-9211-BEF7523EB7E7@microsoft.com... > What do I do next after sending m...

Export rows in Excel to lutiple Word files
I have an excel (or access if easier) doc that contains rows of data. I would like to create a separate word doc from each row. The clomuns are subject,number,info I would love the title of each to be "<Number>-<Subject>" with the content of the doc itself made up from the Info row. Is there a way to do this - I know a bit of perl but was hoping for an easy solution....... Try this. Select the row Copy to the clip board Switch to MS Word Use either Paste to paste the clipboard contents as a table or Paste Special with the Link Option selected. Perhaps specify as...

Problem opening excel files from email
Has anyone heard of a problem opening up excel files from an email attachment? This problem started happening to me about a week ago - when I receive an excel file by email and I attempt to open it from the email message, the excel program opens but the file does not. So what I have to do is save the file to my desktop and open it from within excel (File menu - then open) Can anyone please help. Thanks Dave -- DXC001 Sometimes one of these works when a similar problem occurs with windows explorer. Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it) --- or --- Close Excel a...

CDHtmlDialog Exception
Any idea why I'm getting this exception the second time that I show a modal dialog with a CDHtmlDialog control on it? Thanks. 0:015> !analyze -v ******************************************************************************* * * * Exception Analysis * * * ******************************************************************************* FAULTING_IP: RPCRT4!CStdProxyBuffer_QueryInterface+a 76b5e134 832300 and dword ptr [ebx],0 EXCEPTION_RECORD: ffffffff -- (.exr ffffffffffffffff) ExceptionAddress: 76b5e134 (RPCRT4!CStdProxyBuffer_Qu...

Publish files at Startup
I have about 50 PC's and every time they startup Publisher, a document (or several) open automatically at startup. Some are recovered files and some are just publish files saved on the network drive. Any ideas what is going on.. Almost seems like a virus, but it's been going on since October Thanks for any help Luke ...

matlab mex-files with mfc
Hi, I wanted to implement a matlab mex-File with the following command line: mex ParseLine.cpp libc.lib. I linked 'libc.lib' due to the MFC standard objects like CString etc. Compilation and linking was ok, but calling the function in matlab I get the following error message: Unable to load ParseLine.dll Illegal memory access (Unzulaessiger Zugriff auf einen Speicherbereich) Has anybody an idea? thanks in advance, steffen A wrong path is not the reason. The working directory of matlab is the same one where the dll is. If I don't use objects or classes which nee...

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E2F
We have a custom task list that seems to get this error when trying to update a list item that only has a user assigned to that task. When there is no user assigned you can update the list item and attach the file. We have ran a sync against AD and nothing has worked so far. ------=_NextPart_0001_8D145796 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Restart the below services and then try: � Windows SharePoint Services Timer � Windows SharePoint Services Administration � Windows SharePoint Services Tracing ------=_NextPart_0001_8D145796 Content-Type: text/x-r...

*.zip files not showing up in Insert File dialog box
Hello all, My boss is trying to attach a ZIP file to an email. But when she navigates to the folder with the ZIP files (and she is showing all files *.*), the ZIP files are not showing up in the Insert File dialog box. We can go to the folder in Windows Explorer and we see the ZIP files there. She is using MS Outlook 2003 SP1. I have showed her a work around so she can attach the files (dragging), but I'm curious as to why they are not showing up in the Insert File diag. box. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Conan Kelly I've seen this just once and am told a reboo...

Converting PDF File To Word
I'm trying to convert a PDF file to Word. I've found some converter programs but when I try to save the PDF file, I can only save it as a text. On Mar 4, 9:18=A0pm, "Connie" <no...@nospam.com> wrote: > I'm trying to convert a PDF file to Word. I've found some converter progr= ams > but when I try to save the PDF file, I can only save it as a text. PDF "format" is graphical and will not directly "transfer" into a Word document. Also, you posted this to a Vista group. Word was never delivered with any version of Windows, ...

Problem opening text file...
Hello, i have a simple macro that pulling in a text file: Public Function Import_FND_GFM_BV(DataPathName, TemplateBook) Application.StatusBar = "Importing fnd_gfm-BV.tsv..." ChDir DataPathName 'Open BV.txt Workbooks.OpenText Filename:="fnd_gfm-BV.tsv" _ , Origin:=437, StartRow:=1, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:= _ xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=True, Semicolon:=False, _ Comma:=False, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo:=Array (Array(1, 1), _ Array(2, 1), Array(3, 1), Array(4, 1), Array(5, 1)...

Navigatng worksheets in a large Workbook
Is there a shortcut to go back and forth to worksheets that are used often but not readily available. For exam;ple sheet 25,28,31etc. Hello, you could try right clicking on the arrows at the lower left hand side of the sheet. This should show all sheets in your workbook, Regards, Nick. "Trying To Excel" wrote: > Is there a shortcut to go back and forth to worksheets that are used often > but not readily available. For exam;ple sheet 25,28,31etc. With a large 500 sheet workbook an index page has proved invaluable. On one sheet (called 'GoToSheet') links have ...

blank pst file
Hi all, I had recently changed computers and moved my pst file, which is huge (over a gig) but when I point to it and open it within outlook, only the most recent messages show up. Everything else (95% of my data) is missing even though the file size is still huge. Where is my data??? I think I might have made a mistake when I archived the file on my old computer. I created the archive file but didn't copy it over to my new computer. I thought that since the pst file was still the same size that all my data was still there and that I didn't need the archive file. Anyho...

Updates were not accepted (exception 4005). Soap exception.
Hi all, when the report is submitted from Outlook 2003 to Project Server 2007 the folowing error message is displayed (see the subj). However, the data are being sent and can be seen in PWA. At the same time, the user gets an email message from Project Server: "Project server returned error code -1". What's wrong with the Server or client? where to look for? Please advise. Elena ...

Excel file protection again?
If someone use copy, paste to floppy disc excel is not pretected. How to protect this? I am asking this as I've seen one excel file which is protected in one way. I don't know how but is not working on my computer. Is there some way with VBA that excel when opens checks folder from where is open or some file if exists, and if it is not in right directory doesn't work, or something similar. Thanks in advance The easiest way would be to click on <File>,<Save As>. On the Save As dialogue box, click on the down arrow next to <Tools>, click on <General Optio...

Log file is 13 gigs
My log files for the SQL that comes with Headquarters\RMS is now up to 13 gigs in the log file directory. How do I change this size or even stop it? What happens if I deleted that log file? Wow, that is huge. The log file should be cleared when you run backups. I spend most of my time in SQL using the server tools--enterprise manager. If you have access to enterprise manager, backup both the database and transaction log and shrink the database. The log file should return to the KB range. You can also take the database offline with a detach database command. Offline, delete the ld...

unreasonable large file size
Dear all, I have some Excel files with very large size (>20M) but there are just little data in there. I found the problem cannot be solved when I copy the whole worksheet to a new file. However, when I just past the data, format, etc. to a new file, the file size will be normal. After I have tried several time, I found the file size will be normal if I delete the worksheet. If I have just delete all data/cells in the worksheet, the problem cannot be solved. you can download a sample file at : http://www.24gto.com/bug.xls (if you cannot download it, I can email to you, just send...