Excel not Access

I have designed an Access database that holds  records relating to my stores
audit results going back for about 5 years plus a load more information
relating to these stores. This was used to produe a pack once a month,
however a change in senior management means that I have got to shelve this
and prodce a similar pack  in Excel.

The idea would be that the user could select a month or a 12 mnth date range
that would produce data that could then be used to populate a number of excel
templates that have been designed. Having not used excel for years I would be
grateful for any suggestions on what route to take.

Thanks
0
Fred1060 (110)

Are you familiar with SQL? If so, you could keep the Access database and use
ADO to retrive the data to Excel, and then do the report in Excel. The SQL
could be parameter driven to get the month or range of data required. Here
is an example of some Access data maintenance macros

Sub AddData()
Dim oConn As Object
Dim oRS As Object
Dim sSQL As String

    Set oConn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    oConn.Open = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
                 "Data Source=" & "c:\bob.mdb"

    sSQL = "INSERT INTO Contacts (FirstName, LastName,Phone, Notes) " & _
           "        VALUES ('Bob','Phillips','01202 345678','me')"
    oConn.Execute sSQL

    oConn.Close
    Set oConn = Nothing
End Sub

Sub GetData()
Const adOpenForwardOnly As Long = 0
Const adLockReadOnly As Long = 1
Const adCmdText As Long = 1
Dim oRS As Object
Dim sConnect As String
Dim sSQL As String
Dim ary

    sConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
               "Data Source=" & "c:\bob.mdb"

    sSQL = "SELECT * From Contacts"
    Set oRS = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    oRS.Open sSQL, sConnect, adOpenForwardOnly, _
                adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

    ' Check to make sure we received data.
    If Not oRS.EOF Then
        ary = oRS.getrows
        MsgBox ary(0, 0) & " " & ary(1, 0) & ", " & ary(2, 0)
    Else
        MsgBox "No records returned.", vbCritical
    End If

    oRS.Close
    Set oRS = Nothing
End Sub

Sub UpdateData()
Const adOpenForwardOnly As Long = 0
Const adLockReadOnly As Long = 1
Const adCmdText As Long = 1
Dim oConn As Object
Dim oRS As Object
Dim sConnect As String
Dim sSQL As String
Dim ary

    sConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
               "Data Source=" & "c:\bob.mdb"

    sSQL = "SELECT * From Contacts"
    Set oRS = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    oRS.Open sSQL, sConnect, adOpenForwardOnly, _
                adLockReadOnly, adCmdText

    ' Check to make sure we received data.
    If oRS.EOF Then
        MsgBox "No records returned.", vbCritical
    Else
        sSQL = "UPDATE Contacts  " & _
               "       SET Phone = 'None' " & _
               "WHERE FirstName = 'Bob' AND LastNAme = 'Phillips'"
        oRS.ActiveConnection.Execute sSQL

        sSQL = "SELECT * From Contacts"

--
HTH

RP
"fred" <fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have designed an Access database that holds  records relating to my
stores
> audit results going back for about 5 years plus a load more information
> relating to these stores. This was used to produe a pack once a month,
> however a change in senior management means that I have got to shelve this
> and prodce a similar pack  in Excel.
>
> The idea would be that the user could select a month or a 12 mnth date
range
> that would produce data that could then be used to populate a number of
excel
> templates that have been designed. Having not used excel for years I would
be
> grateful for any suggestions on what route to take.
>
> Thanks

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
1/17/2006 8:14:19 AM
Hi fred,

Thanks to ODBC you're not limited to one app over the other. Since you
have worked in Access and are likely familiar with SQL and using
queries, I recommend using MS Query. Open a blank Excel spreadsheet and
select Data | Import External Data | New Database Query.  When the
Choose Data Source window opens, select MS Access Database. NOTE: MAKE
SURE that the "Use the Query Wizard to create/edit queries" is
UNCHECKED...this is because the Query Wiz is stupid & does not know
about joins.  Click OK. From the Select Database window, find your .mdb
file and select it. MS Query will open a GUI that looks very similar to
the Access QBE grid, and a list of database objects (click the Options
buttons and make sure all boxes are checked), including queries. Add the
desired objects to your query. Note that MS Query cannot "see" the
relational joins created in the Access db; you have to join tables on
key fields manually.  Once you save the query, however, it will
remember. The commands are very similar to the Access query window, so
you should have no trouble creating queries, relating objects or setting
criteria; you can even create parameter queries that prompt the user.
After the query has been run, select File | Return data to Microsoft
Office Excel and the recordset will be exported to the spreadsheet you
originally opened, unless you specify otherwise. Save this workbook with
an appropriate name. Any time you wish to requery the data, open the
worksheet, right-click on any cell, and select Edit Query.  It would
probably be fairly simple to set up an Excel User Form to automate the
process so that the user need never see the query.

Tushar Mehta has a nice tutorial with some easy-to-follow examples at
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/rdbms_in_excel/index.html

Hope this helps!

LeAnne

fred wrote:
> I have designed an Access database that holds  records relating to my stores
> audit results going back for about 5 years plus a load more information
> relating to these stores. This was used to produe a pack once a month,
> however a change in senior management means that I have got to shelve this
> and prodce a similar pack  in Excel.
>
> The idea would be that the user could select a month or a 12 mnth date range
> that would produce data that could then be used to populate a number of excel
> templates that have been designed. Having not used excel for years I would be
> grateful for any suggestions on what route to take.
>
> Thanks
0
nospam2791 (369)
1/17/2006 3:41:09 PM
I add also a few examples on my site yesterday
Will add more soon

http://www.rondebruin.nl/accessexcel.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:uCTEH4zGGHA.3532@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> HTH
>
> RP
> "fred" <fred@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I have designed an Access database that holds  records relating to my
> stores
>> audit results going back for about 5 years plus a load more information
>> relating to these stores. This was used to produe a pack once a month,
>> however a change in senior management means that I have got to shelve this
>> and prodce a similar pack  in Excel.
>>
>> The idea would be that the user could select a month or a 12 mnth date
> range
>> that would produce data that could then be used to populate a number of
> excel
>> templates that have been designed. Having not used excel for years I would
> be
>> grateful for any suggestions on what route to take.

0
rondebruin (3789)

Printing an Excel doucument

Newbie: How to Access Controls on a Dialog
I'm making my first stab at an MFC program. Basically a dialog box with some controls. I started out with basic edit boxes placed on the main dialog using the resource editor in VC++ (6.0). To set text, I have been using the SetDlgItemText(IDC_MYEDITBOX, "Sample Text"). Works fine. Now I working with Check Boxes. Okay, placed it using the dialog editor. Looked for some sort of equivalent to SetDlgItemText to check and uncheck the box using the control ID ("IDC_MYFIRSTCHECKBOX"). Nothing. Reading through Prosise's "Programming Windows with MFC"...

Windows Update

excel axes

Excel program

2003 Excel and 2007 Trial Version Excel

Error Message When opening Excel

Excel number / date conversion

Email from Excel #3

version excel

Can't access my newspaper in Outlook any more
For years, I have been reading my daily newspaper via my Outlook. It is delivered daily via e-mail. Today, it was delivered via e-mail as alwys, BUT I was not allowed to open it. The message from Outlook says that it had been blocked and to contact my system administrator. Since I am using my home computer (as always!) I am wondering what gives. Does it have anything to do with the Outlook Connector items that were downloaded automatically sometime recently without warning. If you put the attachment on your desktop,can you open it then ??? -- Peter Please Reply to Newsg...

double line spacing using excel 2000

Excel 95 to Excel 2003
Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If so, how. Thanks in advance Open the file in 2003 and SAVE as you would a file created in 2003. If not absolutely positive, save as a different name. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Cooper" <kcooper2@austin.rr.com> wrote in message news:uqLpEuG4EHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Anyone know if it's possible to convert Excel 95 files to Excel 2003? If > so, how. > > Thanks in advance > > Open in XL 2003, when you close it, it should, ask you if you w...

Append data to table...Access to 97 conversion error
Error 2391, Field 'F1' doesn't exist in the destination table Why do I get this error when I try to append data from a .csv file into an Acces table code line: DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim, , "Invoice", Filename, False Please help ...

Conversion Excel 97 to Excel 2003
Hi There, I would like to convert Excel 97 files to excel 2003 I m using Save AS, but little bit confuse what type I have to choose "Microsoft Office Excel workbood (*.xls)" or "Microsoft Excel 97 - Excel 2003 & 5.0/95 workbook (*.xls)". We will not use Office 97 anymore next few weeks. Thank for your prompt response. Wayne You shouldn't have to do anything. If you feel the need, just save as microsoft excel workbook.xls -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wayne" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8286...

Inner Borders in Excel 2007
Before in pre-Excel 2007 world, I used to be able to select a range of cells, click on a button to get vertical or horizontal boarders for the range selected. In Excel 2007 I can only apply outer boarders. Was this feature removed? I now have go to "format cells", then select the "borders" tab to do the same. Where did the buttons for inner vertical/horizontal boarders go? Thanks. louishong - Home ribbon > (Font group) drop down between Underline and Fill Color - Mike http://www.MikeMiddleton.com <louishong@lycos.com> wrote in message...

Convert excel to java
Hi does anybody know a way to convert an XL spreadhseet (with charts) to a fully interactive Java object?? I have tried exceleverywhere and xlsius, but no luck! Thanks in advance -- shnim1 ...

Importing Excel data into Access?
Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table I can simply copy and paste but it is not that easy when doing from Excel to Access! I downloaded this manual from http://www.mousetraining.co.uk/training-manuals/Access2003Intro.pdf but couldn't find this topic If anyone knows please let me know! Cheers Raj Hello, there are plenty of sources. e.g.: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC102722321033 Stefan. "Rajeev Rawat" wrote: > Can Excel data be imported into Access easily!? I know from Word table &g...

How do I import Excel into Microsoft Money
#1 - This question is more likely to get an answer in the Money newsgroup than here #2 - Place your question in the body of the message, with a little more explanation of what you want to accomplish "Tax Help" wrote: > You can't do it directly. The only formats that Money can import are QIF and OFX. Go to Google and search for excel money import qif to get multiple hits including macros and/or commercial solutions. One the I found is http://www.bigredconsulting.com/AboutXLQIFConverter.htm Their program is $39. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:55:03 -0800, "Tax H...