EVALUATE Function

I have looked on the internet but can't seem to find much
information on Excel's EVALUATE Function.  I see it being
used but don't seem to have it in my function list with
Excel 2003.  Can someone provide an explanation of the
EVALUATE function i.e. what it does, a little history,
etc.  Thanks for your help.
0
anonymous (74717)

Hi Frank,

Evaluate is not a function, hence u can't see it in the function list. It is
a formula auditing tool, located in Tools > Formula Auditing > Evaluate
Formula (EF) .
Basicaly if you enter a formula in a cell and use the EF it will show you
exactly how the result is calculated. Even if the result turns our to be an
error. Using it if you have a formula with many parts you can see how each
part is worked out by Excel.
It was introduced in Excel 2002(XP).

HTH

"Frank H." wrote:

> I have looked on the internet but can't seem to find much
> information on Excel's EVALUATE Function.  I see it being
> used but don't seem to have it in my function list with
> Excel 2003.  Can someone provide an explanation of the
> EVALUATE function i.e. what it does, a little history,
> etc.  Thanks for your help.

0
Jimbola (32)
1/3/2005 11:47:03 PM
Maybe you have an addin that contains a homegrown =Evaluate() function.

They're pretty common around here.

Usually, developers write them to evaluate a string.

In A1:A3 (for instance)
a1 = 3
a2 = +
a3 = 5

=evaluate(a1&a2&a3)

could return 5--but it really depends on what the author of the function did.

If you have an addin that you load (maybe downloaded from the web), maybe it's
one of the functions in that.  If you think you know that addin's name, post it
and I'm sure someone can be more specific.

=======
And there is an Evaluate that can be used in VBA--but I didn't guess you meant
that.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Actually, along the same lines of this post I was looking at Stephen
Bullen's site and he has a charting example from 1998 that uses EVALUATE
combined with defined names to chart a function.  It does pretty much what
you've described below.  I can't seem to find anything in the Excel 2003 Help
that describes this function either.  Would you know why there doesn't seem
to be any documentation on this (or maybe I'm just missing it).

Thanks.

----
John Mansfield
http://www.pdbook.com

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Maybe you have an addin that contains a homegrown =Evaluate() function.
>
> They're pretty common around here.
>
> Usually, developers write them to evaluate a string.
>
> In A1:A3 (for instance)
> a1 = 3
> a2 = +
> a3 = 5
>
> =evaluate(a1&a2&a3)
>
> could return 5--but it really depends on what the author of the function did.
>
> If you have an addin that you load (maybe downloaded from the web), maybe it's
> one of the functions in that.  If you think you know that addin's name, post it
> and I'm sure someone can be more specific.
>
> =======
> And there is an Evaluate that can be used in VBA--but I didn't guess you meant
> that.
>
> "Frank H." wrote:
> >
> > I have looked on the internet but can't seem to find much
> > information on Excel's EVALUATE Function.  I see it being
> > used but don't seem to have it in my function list with
> > Excel 2003.  Can someone provide an explanation of the
> > EVALUATE function i.e. what it does, a little history,
> > etc.  Thanks for your help.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

I'm not sure how Stephen used Evaluate.

But if it was a home grown function, then it was designed/written by a user--not
by microsoft.

There is an old xlm macro command called evaluate, too.

You can read more about them by getting both of these:
Macrofun.exe & Macro97.exe (which contains XLMacr8.hlp)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?freetext=Macrofun

--

Dave Peterson
0

Have you evaluated...
Has anyone evaluated Celerant Command Retail or Tomax Retail.net POS solutions? How are they compared to RMS in terms of features and prices? ...

Replace ; with , in functions
When I use functions in Excel, arguments are differentiated by ; For example =sumif(range;criteria;sum_range) I want to use , instead of ; Where can I change it? Thanks in advance. Regards, Emece.- Excel uses the windows list separator for this character. In winXP, I'd go into the control panel, regional and language options applet. Then on the Regional Options tab, click the Customize button. Then change the list separator (near the bottom) to what you want. Since this is a windows setting, it'll affect all of windows (which is ok for me!). Emece wro...

Lookup Function
I have a workbook that contains two worksheets. In worksheet one I have a list of numbers assigned to different people. In worksheet two I have a list of the numbers, and some varoius types of information that go along with them. Back to worksheet one, I want a column that will take a look at the person's number, find it in worksheet two, and put something from one of the other columns on worksheet two back in worksheet one. I've tried using this formula: =LOOKUP($E:$E,Combos!$A:$A,Combos!$B:$B) and get this error: #N/A Column E (on worksheet one) has a list of numbers, as does...

forecast function help #2
Just to clarify that formula, am i right to say this? =ROUND(FORECAST($E$1,B2:D2,$B$1:$D$1),0) $E$1 - is selecting the forcast for year 2004 B2:D2 - is selecting all the data bar the years in the top row $B$1:$D$1 - is being used to predict the outcome for 2004 Is that right? Thanks again -- metho ----------------------------------------------------------------------- method's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1503 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26644 Hi B1:D1 are the x values there B2:D2 the associated y ...

Evaluating text as formulae
Is it possible to refer to text in a cell as though it were a formula, ie execute it instead of displaying it? Eg if the result of your formula was "A1 + B2", to actually add A1 and B2 and display the result? Thanks Nigel Like concatenating text? =concatenate(a1," + ",b2) or =concatenate(a1,b2) =concatenate(a1," ",b2) "Nigel Ramsden" wrote: > Is it possible to refer to text in a cell as though it were a formula, ie > execute it instead of displaying it? Eg if the result of your formula was > "A1 + B2", to actually add A1 and...

Downloadable evaluation version of Outlook 2003
does anyone know if it possible to get a downloadable version? Thanks.....Sly Sly wrote: > does anyone know if it possible to get a downloadable > version? > > Thanks.....Sly No. Not full Outlook, only Outlook Express is downloadable along with IE... >-----Original Message----- >does anyone know if it possible to get a downloadable >version? > >Thanks.....Sly >. > ...

left, right functions in CRM??
hi. i have another question. exist left o right functions in CRM??, i need take a value of a picklist what contain this. example: 0 - Lead 10 - Lead Calificado 20 - Vision de Compra i need take just the number and pass to variable. You may want to buy a book dealing with JavaScript, as this is not related to CRM. You may also look at http://www.microsoft.com/scripting, which contains a lot of useful information. Coming to your question: you can use the split method to get to your values: var selectedPicklistValue = crmForm.all.<name of pic...

Evaluate a Range
I would like to create a formula that looks at a range with a specified criterion and when it finds the first entry in that range that meets that criterion returns the position of that data in the range. For example, given the following data beginning in A1 and extending to D1: 5,7 ,8,11 I would like to create a formula that looks for a value greater than 10 in that range and then returns the number 4 to signify that it is the fourth entry in that range. Thanks as always for your help. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way: Array enter (CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RET...

Partition function with time-type arguments
I cant' cope with mayby a simple question of how to use Partition function with time-type arguments. I would like to group data based on [timeCol] column which shows time detailed down to the second 'hh:mm:ss' using partition(col,start,end,interval) function for groups with time from 9 AM to 5 PM (17:00) every 30 minutes. I entered something like this to the project grid in A2000: new filed name: Partition([timeCol];#09:00:00#;#17:00:00#;minutes(30)) or new filed name: Partition([timeCol];#09:00:00#;#17:00:00#;#00:30:00#) or new filed name: Partition([timeCol];#09:00:00#;#17:00:00...

Returns immediate function
Hi all, I know that the function CeRapiInitEx returns immediately. No wait for processing. I want to implement such a function. Returns immediate. no wait. How do I implement such a function? Thanks Ko You might create a UI thread that do the work, launch it in the "non-wait" function and return immediatly to the caller. When the thread done it's works, you can post an application message to return the results.... Greetings, Gaetano Sferra "PPC DEV" <ppc_dev@yahoo.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:033101c3b388$a7098910$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi all...

Sort function
Hi, I have a table which requires sorting due to changes in values everymonth. For eg.. We have 6 clients. The growth % of these clients changes from month to month. These are automatically picked from the system. Through a formula, I would like it sorted automatically in a decending order. Client %growth A 20% B -70% C 80% D 0 E -40% F 50% Output through some formula next to the list for the above range. C 80% F 50% A 20% D 0 E -40% B -70% I know that the same is possible through a macro, however I would prefe...

Excel
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. I'm currently trying to send out information using the Excel - Mail T - Mail Recipient(as attachment) in a macro. It's all working fine except that, when the macro attachs the file, it seems to give the fil a temporary 2 digit name (looks like it could be hexdecimal?!??! rather than the correct filename. It's not a massive problem, just I'm getting a lot of e-mails fro people wondering what I'm sending them!! Code below................ - 'Saves on C:\ as NewName ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _ "C:\Headco...

cells evaluation question
Hey I have a spreadsheet with 9 cells (c14:c22) They will have integers entered from 0 to 10 I need a formula to do the following: - Find how many have a value >=5 - Get the total value of the cells with a value >=5 Thanks Simon You want Countif and Sumif, as in: =countif(c14:c22,">=5") =sumif(c14:c22,">=5") Regards, Fred "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8D2F8EA3-D774-4A65-9157-274051900E28@microsoft.com... > Hey > > I have a spreadsheet with 9 cells (c14:c22) > They...

normsdist function maximum
I was just doing some investigation and found that the normsdist function errors when given a value higher than 2147483647. I worked on this when doing some calculations for options based on Black Scholes and I thought it might be helpful for others running into problems with the 1.#INF infinity code from Excel. jasontferr...@gmail.com wrote... >I was just doing some investigation and found that the normsdist >function errors when given a value higher than 2147483647. I worked >on this when doing some calculations for options based on Black >Scholes and I thought it might be he...

Does IF() Evaluate in Pivot Table?
Is this function really evaluated in the calculated field of Pivo Table? IF(SALES > 10000,100,200) It always returns the value of the FALSE argument for the entir column -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Returning a vector from function
Hi, I have a function that will return a vector of CStrings. This vector could be quite big and i was wondering what would be the most efficent way to do this. Can i return a pointer to the vector? Thanks Macca Create a function that takes a reference to the vector you want to fill. When the function returns, it will contain whatever changes you made to it in the function. void MyFunc(vector<CString>& astrContents) { // Fill in contents of astrContents here } Macca wrote: > Hi, > > I have a function that will return a vector of CStrings. This vector could > b...

Is it a problem or functionality
Hopefully somebody is able to help, using Exc5.5 if I send an email to somebody internal using the incorrect address,it tries to resolve the address and when it can't it sends it out onto the internet and then it comes back in. This is not a major problem but does cause some interesting effects when trying to eliminate spoofing on our mime sweeper box. How can we get exchange to send a NDR to the sender as soon as the address is NOT resolved and force it to NOT send it out to the Internet Thank you in Advance Philip There are two scenarios I can think of: 1. The domain name o...

function with "
How can I include in a stanrd calcul function the char " ? --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- "Chris" <chsoustelle@hotmail.fr> wrote in message news:11q2jnf1he6br52@corp.supernews.com... > How can I include in a stanrd calcul function the char " ? > Perhaps you could be a bit more specific as to what you are trying to do (preferably using English words rather than, for example, "stanrd calcul"). Few people wh...

2002 evaluation.
Some time ago I ordered an evaluation copy of MS Publisher 2002. The CD came 2 days later, but that's when my hopes for a good evaluation ended. The thing won't install without a Product Key, which Microsoft never provided me with. During the installation I click on the appropriate link, but all I get is a polite info that the Key has been already sent to the e-mail provided, but will be re-sent. Guess what, it never came. I sent an e-mail to MS support asking for help. They replyed promptly with a car salesman like attitude, saying that they are dedicated to providing ...

if function #11
Hi doing my cert 2 and i am stuck on 1 formula i need to work out the total cost of something where the first 1000 are $0.50 and anything over 1000 is $0.40 using if function. It all seemed so straught forward till i got to this. Thanx in advance Try this: =IF(COUNT(A1),MIN(A1,1000)*0.5+MAX(A1-1000,0)*0.4,0) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "peter" <peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C70D8AFC-CB0B-4484-A5E9-71F3AF1B56BF@microsoft.com... > Hi doing my cert 2 and i am stuck on 1 formula > i need to work out the total cost of something where the first...

Paste Special function and Hyperlinks
I am creating a 'Parent' Workbook which lists a whole load of documents which are hyperlinked to PDF files of the actual document. I need to create a few 'Child' workbooks which will list only a few of the documents from the parent with the hyperlinks. I wanted to link them so when a document is updated I will only have to update the parent workbook hyperlink and the child workbooks will update automatically. I tried to do this with the Paste Special 'Link' selection which gives me the information I need on the child workbooks however it breaks the hyp...

vba function
Hello , i've the following data Ann�e V1 V2 V3 National 1992 14805 100 1993 16521 2640 120 1994 17839 2142 117 1995 19878 1236 1207 136 1996 12456 1024 140 1997 14526 1563 1274 152 jI want to calculate an "'indice" with vba. example: to obtain these news values Ann�e V1 ...

simple date and time functions
Hello. I am trying to compare the difference between two dates and times based on a 24 hour structure, including the NETWORKDAYS function. We work on a 48 hour turn around. Document comes in at 10:00 on 12-06-2005 and out 12:00 12-08-2005 then "no" else "yes". Specific formatting for dates and times seem to be an issue in NETWORKDAYS where I get the correct date calculation, but when I enter in the holidays, it returns a VALUE#. I have used mm-dd-yyyy. Thanks in advance for your help. How about =IF(networkdays(A20,A21)-(MOD(A20,1)-MOD(A21,1))>=2,"yes",&q...

is there zip functionality in Word?
is there zip / unzip functionality or capability in Word? No, but there is in Windows: Select files, right-click and choose Send To | Compressed (zipped) Folder. Alternatively, you can install other software that does the job (such as WinZip). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "emac" <emac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:948E5DE7-8D67-457E-B4A2-956FC76CF0E7@microsoft.com... > is there zip / unzip functionality or capability in Word? A Word 2007 document (extension docx) is essentially a zip file. That is, if you change the d...

Which functions help with ease of tabulation?
I would like to create a spreadsheet that easily tabulates alpha-onl results. I am working on a retention project for my job, and would lik to track cancellation reasons, offers made, results and such. I woul like to use drop-down menus so that users can select options with ease and I would like for the spreadsheet to give numeric results based o the alpha reasons that will be selected from. I need assistance i creating the drop down menus and with getting Excel to turn alph reasons to numeric results, if this is possible. :confused ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message...